PDA

View Full Version : Kim Weston Rarities

test

longtimefan
02-09-2016, 02:36 PM
On the last two ACE "Motown Girls" CDs, Kim Weston has has a track appear:
"It's Too Late To Know" and "Lover Man."

Not counting her 2 CD ANTHOLOGY or her IT TAKE TWO CD with Marvin, what other Motown "Kim Rarities" have been released on CD?

Thanks in advance SDF fans!

mysterysinger
02-09-2016, 02:48 PM
"Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing" on here....11087

mysterysinger
02-09-2016, 03:10 PM
"Wish You A Merry Christmas" - Merry Christmas from Motown [[and others) 3145507192
"Don't Let Me Down" - Cellarful of Motown [[1)
"After the Rain" - Cellarful of Motown [[2)

Motown Eddie
02-09-2016, 06:21 PM

Not counting her 2 CD ANTHOLOGY or her IT TAKE TWO CD with Marvin, what other Motown "Kim Rarities" have been released on CD?

There is Kim Weston's version of "Stop In The Name Of Love" from the "Motown Signs Motown Treasures" CD.

longtimefan
02-09-2016, 07:31 PM
I just discovered one myself on iTunes MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1964 by Kim: "I Need You So."

marv2
02-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Here's Kim's version of Billie Holiday's "Lover Man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edNqeNCsJhI

longtimefan
02-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Here's Kim's version of Billie Holiday's "Lover Man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edNqeNCsJhI

Is this different that Kim's LOVER MAN on one of the two recent Motown girls ACE releases?

marv2
02-09-2016, 08:02 PM
longtimefan, I really don't know. What do you think of this version?

longtimefan
02-09-2016, 08:05 PM
longtimefan, I really don't know. What do you think of this version?

GREAT! I love most everything by Kim. To me, she could have been a real nightclub attraction. This track is an example of THAT! :-) Thanks for your input!

marv2
02-09-2016, 08:39 PM
GREAT! I love most everything by Kim. To me, she could have been a real nightclub attraction. This track is an example of THAT! :-) Thanks for your input!

Kim was an all around excellent vocalist, she has stage prescence, should would have been great on the nightclub circuit. thank you as well.

longtimefan
02-10-2016, 12:30 AM
There seem to be no other release rarities. I guess the ANTHOLOGY is it! Too bad. I bet she recorded a ton of stuff like Brenda.

honest man
02-10-2016, 11:03 AM

Hello there was also Greatest hits and rare classics cd [cannot print for some reason] compiled by George Solomon, navy blue cover which had a couple of songs missing from the Anthology ,i know The wonderful IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME backed by DRATS Was on this cd and maybe couple more i think Spectrum rereleased this it is a brilliant cd ,cheers.

144man
02-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Do you have the 2007 "Take Two+" CD which includes the previously unissued "You've Got To Be For Real"? [The title is incorrectly shown as "You've Got To Be Real" on the CD.]

longtimefan
02-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Do you have the 2007 "Take Two+" CD which includes the previously unissued "You've Got To Be For Real"? [The title is incorrectly shown as "You've Got To Be Real" on the CD.]

Yes, but thanks for the reminder. I mentioned in my original post that I was not counting the ANTHOOGY or the expanded IT TAKES TWO+ CDs.

longtimefan
02-10-2016, 11:30 PM
Hello there was also Greatest hits and rare classics cd [cannot print for some reason] compiled by George Solomon, navy blue cover which had a couple of songs missing from the Anthology ,i know The wonderful IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME backed by DRATS Was on this cd and maybe couple more i think Spectrum rereleased this it is a brilliant cd ,cheers.

Thank you, honest man. Your hint caused me to "study" and I determined that the following tracks appear on Kim's GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS but not on the Motown ANTHOLOGY:

1. Go Ahead and Laugh [[also on one of the Motown singles collections)
2. Don't Compare Me With Her [[also on one of the Motown singles collections)
3. I'll Never See My Love Again [[also on one of the Motown singles collections)
4. Feel Alright Tonight [[also on one of the Motown singles collections)
5. A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knockin' Every Day [[also on one of the Motown singles collections)
6. It Should Have Been Me [[also on one of the Motown singles collections)
7. Do Like I Do

psychedelic jacques
02-11-2016, 05:37 AM
this thread has made me think that it would be great if DFTMC could somehow code all its entries [[colour coding?) in some way so that you can see at-a-glance the following:

1) released as a single
2) released as an album track "back in the day"
3) vaulted material subsequently released on cd
4) vaulted material only released via download

I know this info is there within the text of the entries, but something at-a-glance would be an enhancement.

longtimefan
02-11-2016, 12:16 PM
I have never understood why Kim never got a solo LP back in the day. Her anthology tracks, unreleased materials, and several single releases certainly would have warranted at least one LP. After her hit with Marvin Gaye [["It Takes Two") would have ben a PERFECT time. Some things just make you say "Hmmmmmm?" [[Or BEFORE that hit, too!!!! :-)

reese
02-11-2016, 02:37 PM
With the success of TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS and HELPLESS, an lp was probably a consideration. But I think she and Mickey were on their way to MGM so that's probably why one wasn't released.

mysterysinger
02-11-2016, 04:47 PM
And if Kim had started to have hits at MGM, Motown would have put an album out on her pretty quickly.

mysterysinger
02-11-2016, 05:28 PM
"Love Me All The Way"
"He's Alright" [[only appears here)
"Just Loving You"
are all on here.........

mysterysinger
02-11-2016, 05:58 PM
And the following tracks are on here [[some are MGM cuts)....

MAR126
The Story Of
Kim Weston
Marginal CD
MAR 126.

Helpless
Another Train Coming
Looking For The Right Guy
It Should Have Been Me
Feel Alright Tonight
I'm Still Loving You
Do Like I Do
A Little More Love
A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Everyday)
A Thrill a Moment
Go Ahead and Laugh
Love Me All The Way
Don't Compare Me With Her
Just Loving You
I'll Never See My Love Again
Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)
You Hit Me [[Where It Hurt Me)
Absent Minded Lover
After The Rain
Any Girl in Town
Wish You a Merry Xmas
I Got What You Need
Someone Like You
You're Just The Kind of Guy
If I Had It My Way
Little by Little, Bit by Bit
Teach Me Tonight [[duet with Marvin Gaye)
It's Me [[duet with Marvin Gaye)

arr&bee
02-11-2016, 07:44 PM
My fav from kim is[looking for the right guy].

westgrandboulevard
02-11-2016, 08:05 PM
One of my favourites too, Arr&bee....recorded about four months after Mary Wells' 'My Guy', and maybe another Smokey song for a possible release by Mary, had she stayed with Motown?

arr&bee
02-12-2016, 01:42 AM
Yep west i could hear mary singin it,but kim made it her own,it didn't sell big but a motown classic as far as i'm concerned.

westgrandboulevard
02-12-2016, 05:34 AM
Yes indeed. It has Hitsville stamped all over it:D