PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Gill - Rub You the Right Way

test

midnightman
02-06-2016, 08:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD2YeJxEIY8

marv2
02-06-2016, 09:13 PM
One of the best records of the early 90's! Party time!

Bluebrock
02-07-2016, 05:28 AM
He was touted as Motown's Teddy Pendergrass ,and whilst he had TP's vocal chops it never really happened for him. I remember seeing him support Janet Jackson and he literally blew her off the stage. Not too difficult you might say but whilst Ms Jackson mimed to a pre recorded vocal Johnny Gill was 100% live and he was magnificent. This guy should have been a superstar.

jack020
02-07-2016, 05:30 AM
I always wondered why Johnny did not become a bigger name in soul music, for me he was best in ballads.

Bluebrock
02-07-2016, 05:44 AM
I always wondered why Johnny did not become a bigger name in soul music, for me he was best in ballads.
There are a number of possible factors. Motown initially supported him but after a while they appeared to lose interest. Another factor was something in his private life. A waste of an outstanding talent.
You are right jack020 when you say he was a master with the ballads.

jack020
02-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Another factor was something in his private life.

You mean him and Eddie Murphy?:D

marv2
02-07-2016, 10:32 AM

That was a rumor, hehehehehehehe...........

Bluebrock
02-07-2016, 11:00 AM

i didn't mean that specifically but i think you kind of know what i am saying. He was being promoted as a heart throb and sex symbol for the female audience but alas...........

jack020
02-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Well, we know what happened to Tevin Campbell!

Bluebrock
02-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Well, we know what happened to Tevin Campbell!
Indeed we do. He wasn't as good as Johnny but he sure as hell could carry at une well enough.

midnightman
02-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Might have to do with a management shakeup in Motown at the time that contributed to why Johnny didn't get more promotion after his Motown debut did so well [[the self-titled album was his first Motown album if I recall; he had done two solo records for Cotillion Records and a duet album with Stacy Lattisaw prior to this and, of course, he found success as the new-ish member [[at the time) of New Edition). Johnny has had a storied fueled career in the music business. His Motown tenure should've done better than it did. He was everywhere in 1990 though.

Bluebrock
02-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Yes he was, and it looked like he was going to be the next big thing, yet somehow his New edition colleague Bobby Brown stole the limelight and became a superstar. This must have been frustrating for Johnny who had more talent in his little finger than Bobby ever had.

marybrewster
02-08-2016, 02:05 PM
I always wondered if Gill wouldn't have fared well somewhere other than Motown. During the time he was signed, the company was sold three times; MCA in 1991, PolyGram in 1994, and finally Universal in 1999.

Seems like several talented artists from that era somehow got lost in the shuffle.

captainjames
02-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Loved the Jam Rub you the Right Way - Johnny still killing it but just cant seem to get that killer jam to put him over. Behind Closed Doors was off the charts. As far as his sexuality no one really cares anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b08fPA2hK2k

captainjames
02-08-2016, 02:26 PM
He also did concerts and Jams that are at the top of my music with Eddie Levert and Keith Sweat after leaving Motown.

marv2
02-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Might have to do with a management shakeup in Motown at the time that contributed to why Johnny didn't get more promotion after his Motown debut did so well [[the self-titled album was his first Motown album if I recall; he had done two solo records for Cotillion Records and a duet album with Stacy Lattisaw prior to this and, of course, he found success as the new-ish member [[at the time) of New Edition). Johnny has had a storied fueled career in the music business. His Motown tenure should've done better than it did. He was everywhere in 1990 though.

Johnny's music was very popular. I remember the Four Tops with Levi singing "My, My, My" in concert.

marv2
02-08-2016, 04:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Var4AQWRL2o