PDA

View Full Version : Ready for love-martha and the vandellas

test

arr&bee
02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Wow,this just came on and i'm sitting here jammin,martha kicks soul butt on this one..from[1966]a motown classic!!!

marybrewster
02-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Wow,this just came on and i'm sitting here jammin,martha kicks soul butt on this one..from[1966]a motown classic!!!

I've always wondered if that's Martha singing all of those HIGH notes?

Roberta75
02-03-2016, 04:34 PM
I've always wondered if that's Martha singing all of those HIGH notes?

Im sure it is MaryBrewster. The First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves has a real good range.

Fondly,

Roberta

Bluebrock
02-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Possibly my favourite Martha song. Then again..........

144man
02-04-2016, 03:13 PM
A great bass riff by James Jamerson that was pinched by the Jam for "A Town Called Malice".

bradburger
02-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Not Jamerson on this one 144man, or any other Funks, as the rhythm track was cut in L.A.

Still a great tune though!

I always liked the acoustic guitar [[very rare to have one on a Motown song, be it cut on Detroit or L.A).

Cheers

Paul

StuBass1
02-04-2016, 06:21 PM
I am pretty sure that the track on this tune was one of Berry Gordy's early west coast projects with L.A. musicians...Bass in definitely not Jamersons syncopated style, and I can't think of any principal Motown drummer that played those type fills.

StuBass1
02-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Not Jamerson on this one 144man, or any other Funks, as the rhythm track was cut in L.A.

I always liked the acoustic guitar [[very rare to have one on a Motown song, be it cut on Detroit or L.A).

Cheers

Paul

My guess is...

Carol Kaye-Bass
Earl Palmer [[or possibly Hal Blaine)-Drums
Tommy Tedesco-Acoustic Guitar

bradburger
02-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Here's the recording dates from the session log, as published in 'Martha & the Vandellas - The 50th Anniversary Singles Collection'.

Track recorded August 12th 1966 in L.A.

Lead & background vocals recorded September 8th 1966

New & additional lead parts September 14th 1966

Strings overdubbed September 15th 1966

Cheers

Paul

marv2
02-06-2016, 03:13 PM
This is one of my favorite Martha & the Vandellas songs. She still sings it well in concert.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Martha's "I'm Ready For Love" is one of my all-time favorite Martha tracks AND it's among my overall fave Motown tracks. It's pure H-D-H!

marv2
02-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Martha's "I'm Ready For Love" is one of my all-time favorite Martha tracks AND overall fave Motown tracks. It's pure H-D-H!

I think it may be her's too when I look at how she put her all into performing it years later. Here she is in 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1ZSi9ngTk

144man
02-07-2016, 08:50 AM

Cheers

Paul

It just goes to show that you can never make assumptions...:)

Bluebrock
02-07-2016, 11:10 AM
It doesn't really matter all that much where and exactly when this was recorded. What does matter is that we have one of THE great motown songs here.

StuBass1
02-07-2016, 01:29 PM
It doesn't really matter all that much where and exactly when this was recorded. What does matter is that we have one of THE great motown songs here.
Agree that is a terrific song...however, it is quite significant when one speaks about the history of Motown. It was during that period that Berry Gordy began to entertain the idea of moving his operation to Los Angeles which ultimately led to a major redirection in the Motown Sound and the direction of the company. While the patented Funk Brothers rhythm tracks remained the primary and signature sound of Motown for several more years...BG was feeling his way around L.A. during the late 60's, lining up Los Angeles based musicians and producers, and began charting his move west.