PDA

View Full Version : Bill, When Are You.....?

test

marybrewster
02-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know why the flip side to the Supremes "Up the Ladder to the Roof" has several name variances?

I've seen it as:

Bill, When Are You COMING BACK

marybrewster
02-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Bill, When Are You COMIN HOME

marybrewster
02-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Bill, When Are You COMING HOME

marv2
02-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Mary, that was just a typing error. The title was "Bill, When Are You Coming Back". I've seen artwork mock ups of albums that were later released at Hitsville before it opened as a museum to the public and I could see how some errors were made on them that were later corrected. I remember on Mary Wilson's 12" single "Red Hot" in small letters it read from the album "Mary Martin". LOL!!!

gordy_hunk
02-04-2016, 07:12 AM
I've always assumed it must have been a typing error.

When I first bought this single [[long after it had been a hit), I was totally stunned by both sides. The US version is better - in my opinion - than the UK version. This is due to the pressing - the US one is much more powerful, exciting and leaving me wanting more from the Supremes, whereas the UK pressing was clean, and quite clinical.

I think that this side - Bill, when are you coming back - was the trigger for me to really get into the 70s Supremes in a big way. On the LP, it was followed by 'The loving country' which was just wonderful.

Jean's vocals on both of these tracks [[Up the ladder to the roof and Bill, when are you coming back) just fantastic. I don't know if the Supremes ever performed 'Bill, when are you coming back' in concert.

marv2
02-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Bill, When Are You COMIN HOME

For some reason Motown did not issue the single with a picture record sleeve in the U.S.

Bluebrock
02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
I always thought this was wasted as a B side. It could so easily have been an A side along with "the loving country" both in my opinion stronger than "egtrtl" but it is perhaps best I don't het get started on this subject!

144man
02-04-2016, 03:04 PM
I always thought this was wasted as a B side. It could so easily have been an A side along with "the loving country" both in my opinion stronger than "egtrtl" but it is perhaps best I don't het get started on this subject!

I agree about "Bill..." being strong enough to be an A side and being stronger than "egtrtl".
I'm not sure that "The Loving Country" would have been commercial for the time.

marv2
02-04-2016, 03:42 PM
I agree about "Bill..." being strong enough to be an A side and being stronger than "egtrtl".
I'm not sure that "The Loving Country" would have been commercial for the time.

It was played like it was an A-side in Detroit and in Toledo in early 1970.

luke
02-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Loving country would have been perfect per peace and love at that time and 5th Dimensionish song. And all the ladies spotlighted some.