PDA

View Full Version : Motown on The Biography Channel: Stevie & The Jackson 5

test

Kamasu_Jr
12-24-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't know if these were new programs, but Biography aired documentaries on Stevie Wonder and The Jackson 5. The programs were well done, if not completely factual. And both featured interviews with Motown insiders like Ted Hull Stevie Wonder's former teacher and mentor.
Hull told several interesting stories about Stevie, his mother Lula and their early dealings with Motown & Berry Gordy Jr.

The profile on the Jackson 5's featured Tito Jackson, Smokey Robinson & J. Randy Taraborelli. Deke Richards was also interviewed and the Jacksons' profile featured some rare behind the scenes footage of the Jacksons at the photo shoot for the ABC album and the Ed Sullivan show. These shows may not be new but are worth your time if you are interested in Motown.

Also on Biography, Ray Charles' America featured extensive interviews with former Raelettes and Motowners: Susaye Greene & Dr. Mable John.

Comments if you've seen these shows.

nomis
12-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I havent seen them but would love to..I can listen to Motowners telling their stories any day of the week..I always love to see what footage theyve used on shows like that...

Kamasu_Jr
12-24-2010, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=nomis;24980]I havent seen them but would love to..I can listen to Motowners telling their stories any day of the week..I always love to see what footage theyve used on shows like that...[/QUOTE

There were lots of good stories on these programs. Ted Hull told how he came to work with Stevie Wonder after Stevie's father threatened to turn Motown into Michigan state authorities because Stevie was touring heavily and missing school. Hull was hired to teach Stevie and tour with him.

Deke Richards told how the pressure got to the young Jacksons during intense recording sessions.
A Jackson brother would impulsively spit Coke on young Michael, who would throw his Coke on his attacker with liquid everywhere. Richards would call Berry Gordy or Joseph Jackson, who would ask that the misbehaving Jackson be put on the phone immediately. After a stern lecture from Father Joe, the Jacksons would settle down and get their work done.

nomis
12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
hope fully I can pick them up on DVD on ioffer..its so great listening to Motowners speak the story is so big I always learn something new I thought the interviews on the UK programme Dancing In The Streets was brilliant I still smile about the Marvelette cewing gum,Mrs Powell and the rest..