PDA

View Full Version : Supremes alternate version on an Open Reel Tape

test

greg jones
01-26-2016, 01:53 PM
I seem to recall that an alternate version of one of the Supremes songs ended up on an one of the Open Reel release of the album.

Can't remember which album, but I believe that it was either Supremes A Go Go or Holland Dozier Holland. Does anyone remember which one that it was and which song ?

Also do any other Open Reel, 8-Track or Cassette versions of the Supremes '60's albums have alternate versions that weren't on the vinyl ?

greg jones
los angeles, ca

theboyfromxtown
01-26-2016, 04:16 PM
You may be talking about Supremes A Go Go. If so, Mark Desjardins bought it after I talked about it last time on SDF......try searching the archives.

Mark Desjardines
01-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Yes John, you are right about an earlier posting I made re "an alternative version of a Supremes recording" issued in the reel to reel format of The Supremes A Go Go. Alas, the story I had heard was indeed just an urban legend.

To make it easier for those interested, I am enclosing my original post. However, I must point out, that about a year ago or so, I lost my password to DSF and contacted Ralph for help. For some reason it was easier to just register again. Somehow my last name was misspelled and it was less of a hassle to contact Ralph once again. At the time he jokingly stated that my new registration would "rejuvenate me as I was no longer a "Senior Member." Well it seems that my many posts since then have restored me to my former status!

Supremes A Go Go Reel To Reel Tape Discovery

I finally got hold of a reel to reel machine that could play back the "Supremes A Go Go" tape I found on eBay. While the "You Can't Hurry Love" track is not the wild psychedelic alternative version that was hinted on a blog I once stumbled upon, it certainly is different indeed. Just before the musical bridge, Diana distinctly sings, "I've been waitin', I've been taken." For some unknown reason, this particular version of this recording has never appeared on any other compilation, at least not to my knowledge.
Was my search for the "holy grail" of Supremes recordings worth it? Yes indeed, but as we all know, the actual hunt11031 is actually often
more fun than obtaining the object of our desire!

daviddh
01-26-2016, 10:43 PM
never heard this b4 but will check out my Japanese hits cd.to have a listen.
Funny,i lost my Motown forum info about a year ago and was unable to sign back in. I finally signed it with a new alt id.it was also easier

daviddh
01-27-2016, 10:30 AM
btw, this version was used on the #1's cd that came out a few years ago

antceleb12
01-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Actually I think the version he's talking about appeared on the "Lost & Found" set. Wasn't the one on the #1's virtually the same, but just a slightly different mix?

sup_fan
01-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Back in the early 90s I was at a record convention in Columbus OH and there was a Detroit dealer there. From a store called Candy's Collectibles. There have a reel tape of Sups Rodgers & Hart there for sale. Don't remember the track listing. Don't know if it contained alt versions. I do know it was very expensive and being a student I couldn't afford it