PDA

View Full Version : Sounds of the Sixties - Top 10 Female groups.

test

theboyfromxtown
01-23-2016, 05:11 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1ncyN6GKKkVZXJRxzhLBkZ9/sounds-of-the-sixties-top-10-girl-groups

PLEASE scroll down to the bottom.......at least they are there!

THE VELVELETTES.......whoo hoo

westgrandboulevard
01-23-2016, 05:21 AM
And so they should be there.

Those who are last shall be mentioned first;)

Those Shangri-Las look a miserable bunch....LOL

lockhartgary
01-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Surprised the Marvelettes did not make the list. Wonder what the criteria was?

antceleb12
01-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Except they got their facts so wrong...And they don't even explain what makes these groups so great...but its always interesting to see how people rate these groups.

I might add that it really looks like they're rating the best girl group [I]songs[I], rather than the best groups.

robb_k
01-23-2016, 04:10 PM
I'd have replaced The Angels, Dixie Cups and Shangri-Las with the Marvelettes, Blossoms and Cookies.

antceleb12
01-23-2016, 04:27 PM
I'd have replaced The Angels, Dixie Cups and Shangri-Las with the Marvelettes, Blossoms and Cookies.

I would keep the Shangri-Las [[in terms of impact and influence, their importance is undeniable), but definitely agree with the Blossoms and Cookies - considering that both groups recorded extensively under not only their own name, but a host of other names as well [[Blossoms - Blue Jeans, Crystals, Victorians, Moose & the Pelicans; Cookies - Cinderellas, Honey Bees, Palisades).

I would also add the Toys and the Exciters and the Vandellas [[for crying out loud!).

I also wonder what guidelines they are using to judge the "top groups" - by quality of music, by popularity, or by impact? If its by impact or popularity, I would say the Velvelettes should, unfortunately, not belong on this list. If its by quality - then yes! But realistically [[and quite sadly), the Velvelettes are not a household name, so it is very interesting that they made it on this list.

luke
01-23-2016, 04:31 PM
No British girl group? I probably only know if the Caravelles and Flirtations.

antceleb12
01-23-2016, 04:50 PM
No British girl group? I probably only know if the Caravelles and Flirtations.

The Flirtations may have had more success in Europe, but their sound and their origins are American. In fact, they even won a contest to see who could sound the most like the Supremes!

luke
01-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Yep. And Nothung but a heartache very Motown / Supremey!

jobeterob
01-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Lester must be behind this list!

daviddesper
01-24-2016, 12:51 AM
This is a wonderful feature so thanks for sharing. Overall I think it is a very representative sampling if you could only include 10. However, like the rest of you, I am puzzled by the exclusion of the Marvelettes. If the concern was to avoid having too many Motown groups [[perish the thought!) then of course they would not have included the Velvelettes.

So other than that quirk, I find it to be a great list.

luke
01-24-2016, 01:26 AM
How high did Needle go on UK charts ?

theboyfromxtown
01-24-2016, 07:34 AM
Lester must be behind this list!

No I'm not!

Honest.......

theboyfromxtown
01-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Luke

Errrrrrr...........

It's all a long ago now.

It's been re-issued many times...does that count!!

[[I'm squirming here........!!)

westgrandboulevard
01-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Despite recording some brilliant examples of Motown at its very best, The Velvelettes received little or no promotion, and made no personal appearances in the UK.

The ladies had no UK Top 50 success, with the exception of the 1971 TMG 780 reissue of 'These Things Will Keep Me Loving You', which peaked at #34 on July 31st, and was on the chart for 7 weeks. :[[

luke
01-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Boy...im shocked but I won't tell the ladies ..thanks west .

copley
01-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Well what a crap list! No Marvelettes! :[[

robb_k
01-24-2016, 11:24 AM
I would keep the Shangri-Las [[in terms of impact and influence, their importance is undeniable), but definitely agree with the Blossoms and Cookies - considering that both groups recorded extensively under not only their own name, but a host of other names as well [[Blossoms - Blue Jeans, Crystals, Victorians, Moose & the Pelicans; Cookies - Cinderellas, Honey Bees, Palisades).

I would also add the Toys and the Exciters and the Vandellas [[for crying out loud!).

Sorry! I thought The Vandellas were already on the list. It's The Marvelettes, who are often forgotten, when The Vandellas are remembered. And let's not forget The Philly groups [[Sapphires and Orlons),

robb_k
01-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Well what a crap list! No Marvelettes! :[[
Yes, and The Vandellas, and Andantes!

luke
01-24-2016, 01:42 PM
The Vandellas are # 8