PDA

View Full Version : One Hour Long Sherrie Payne Interview

test

milven
01-22-2016, 02:18 PM
by Larry Buford

Playwright Don B. Welch and singer Scherrie Payne recently appeared on the January 18th edition of “The Actor’s Choice [[TAC)” with host Ron Brewington.

Currently fronting a wave of sold-out performances of the stage play “A Lady In Waiting” – written by Payne and directed by Welch – the two took time to talk about the play and offer some insight about their careers in entertainment.

Payne reveals some very interesting childhood memories of her and her famous sister singer/actress Freda. Payne speaks candidly about her over-confidence as a child growing up in Detroit and her older sister’s insecurities, and how over time the roles reversed. She then lays out how she abandoned her career path in medicine to become a professional entertainer, beginning with a group called Glass House; her run with the post-Diana-Ross Supremes; a group called FLOS an acronym made up of former members of The Supremes; and finally the much anticipated Supremes reunion – the “Return to Love” tour with Diana Ross. Not only a fabulous singer, but Scherrie has written 19 screenplays and still counting! Welch gives her high marks on her writing.

This interview is a must see!

“A Lady In Waiting” – premiering at The Missing Piece Theater located in Burbank’s Magnolia Park District – is completely sold out for the January 29-31st performances, but due to popular demand, for one night only, it is being held over for one final performance, Friday, February 5th at 8PM. For tickets, please go to: www.brownpapertickets.com OR call: 1 [[800) 838-3006. Tickets went on sale Wednesday, January 20th at 10 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1EVE57USww

https://www.eurweb.com/2016/01/playwright-don-b-welch-singer-scherrie-payne-actors-choice/

marv2
01-22-2016, 02:45 PM
This was a lot of fun.

milven
01-22-2016, 02:53 PM
sherrie's part starts at about 26 minutes

milven
01-22-2016, 04:36 PM
In the segment of the interview about the RTL tour, Sherrie says that originally the show was trying to get all the past Supremes to participate, Diana was on board with the idea of all of them participating, negotiations broke down and agreements could not be made with some of the Supremes and that the promoter and Diana decided to do the tour anyway with Lynda and Sherrie. Sherrie says there was some hate in the audience during the tour, but that she would have been a fool to turn down such a good paying gig.

Sherrie also says that Want Ads was originally recorded by her with Glass House. But she didn't like it and producer Greg Perry was equally unsatisfied with their recorded version. Then Freda and Sherrie recorded the song themselves. Still unsatisfied, Sherrie suggested the song to Edna Wright of Honey Cone and I guess we know the rest of that story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnLSyQws8LI

captainjames
01-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Scherrie has always told it just like it is .....that is why I love her so much.

luke
01-23-2016, 12:59 AM
Cindy has been quoted as saying she told Scherrie that Diana called her and she was so excited about it and told Scherrie about the tour with Mary and Diana and not to say anything.[[The article said Then Scherrie called Diana about all of them performing and Diana was concerned that all of the Supremes weren't doing well financially. And then decided to try to include them all.)

detmotownguy
01-23-2016, 01:51 AM
This was a lot of fun.
Maybe when Mary moves to CA, she can reform MSS for a few shows! 3 ultra talented ladies. Hell maybe do a play together since Mary wants to do more acting......please ladies!!!

marv2
01-23-2016, 01:55 AM
Cindy has been quoted as saying she told Scherrie that Diana called her and she was so excited about it and told Scherrie about the tour with Mary and Diana and not to say anything.[[The article said Then Scherrie called Diana about all of them performing and Diana was concerned that all of the Supremes weren't doing well financially. And then decided to try to include them all.)

They always neglect to mention that in 1998, Diana went to Las Vegas to see Scherrie & Lynda The FLOS show and then went backstage to meet with them. Paul Mooney was there as was Mickey Stevenson!

johnny_raven
01-23-2016, 02:17 AM
I was backstage too, Marv! I even got Mickey to autograph his HERE I AM LP. I won't say what Kim Weston said to me .... :)

luke
01-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Great interview. Was it current of last January?

milven
01-23-2016, 03:33 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think it was from last week

luke
01-23-2016, 03:33 PM
My understanding was that at that time Cindy left the Flos as she received a recording contract in England and recorded Dancing Room etc

milven
01-23-2016, 03:43 PM
It is current. I listened to the end of the interview again, and Sherrie gave info and a link.
The show was extended and tickets are available at the below link

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/browse.html

marv2
01-23-2016, 03:54 PM
I was backstage too, Marv! I even got Mickey to autograph his HERE I AM LP. I won't say what Kim Weston said to me .... :)

You were there too! Excellent! Such small World. I was sitting outside Penn Station[[MSG) after work one day waiting for my train and over comes walking Paul Mooney and his lady friend. I asked him about it, hehehehehehehehehe........

marv2
01-23-2016, 03:55 PM

I truly understand and respect that! I won't say what Paul Mooney said to me either! lol

marv2
01-23-2016, 03:57 PM
My understanding was that at that time Cindy left the Flos as she received a recording contract in England and recorded Dancing Room etc

Yeah with Hi Hat Records. Scherrie just forgot some of the details such as the request of the former Supremes to audition for the tour.........

TheMotownManiac
01-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Both Scherrie and Lynda told me no one was asked to audition and that all former Supremes were invited. The "audition tape" was merely to gauge vocal quality and range. The only Supreme whose voice had improved by 1999 was Mary - all the others - including Diana had experienced erosion and/or range changes. Allowances had to be made for arrangements, assigning of leads etc. This was because Cindy had sung very little and her voice was not in shape and they needed to know who could do what. Provisions were being made to augment Cindy's voice off stage. This is why Scherrie was originally contacted. [[Diana stubbornly insisted on singing all the songs in the original key which I think was too high on some songs.) Diana had been helping Cindy out financially but never thought about the finances of the 70's Supremes. When she realized that they were not all thriving, she decided to tale Scherries suggestion which Mary did not like at all. She wanted it to be just DMC with Scherrie offstage. She doesn't want to be just part of a batch of former Supremes and Diana didn't think about Mary's wishes at all. The whole thing began as a Diana solo tour and she still thought of it that way. It was all a mess but an amazing show. Great as it was, it would have been so much better with Mary & Cindy. Scherrie & Lynda have great voices but not as great as Mary and her voice makes Supremes songs sound authentic.

luke
01-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Come on Marv or Johnny. Somebody email me what you are talking about ! Lol

detmotownguy
01-23-2016, 11:26 PM
Come on Marv or Johnny. Somebody email me what you are talking about ! Lol
Luke: Marv ain't talking so lets just mug him!

marv2
01-24-2016, 01:07 AM
Luke: Marv ain't talking so lets just mug him!

See there DET, cut it out; they already think Detroiters are roughnecks. LOL!!!!

detmotownguy
01-24-2016, 01:44 AM
See there DET, cut it out; they already think Detroiters are roughnecks. LOL!!!!
There was a great bar onGrand River and Lincoln St called Apex Bar and Grill where I saw a few thugs get straightened out. Ah the good ole days lol!

luke
01-24-2016, 01:49 AM
My Dad worked in Philly for same guy who employed the Blubelles and I got a genuine pic of Nona and Cindy and Sarah and Patti Patti with their wigs and striped outfits!