PDA

View Full Version : Did Iggy Pop Borrow His Song From Supremes YOU CANT HURRY LOVE?

test

milven
01-22-2016, 01:08 AM
Was just watching last Sunday's episode of THE GOOD WIFE. The episode involves a court case of copying someone else's music. The defendant's lawyer asks:

"What about the opening percussion riffs in the Supremes' version of You Cant Hurry Love and Iggy Pop's Lust for Life? Aren't they identical?"

Naturally, I had to pause my DVR and listen to Iggy Pop.

So.................Is it?

Okay, now I gotta finish watching THE GOOD WIFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQvUBf5l7Vw

dickiemint
01-22-2016, 06:54 AM
It's very Holland Dozier Holland it sounds more like Martha Ready for love to me but if you want the exact copy of that hit listen to The Jam Town called Malice it's even got the same instrumental break

midnightman
01-22-2016, 12:05 PM
It emulates it but it's not enough to say it's a copy. The Motown Sound did influence the punk rock sound [[though I don't know if it's acknowledged as such). Marvin Gaye's early music definitely influenced punk as did The Miracles' music.

The producer and co-writer for much of Lust for Life was the legendary David Bowie. He and Iggy [[a Michigan native himself) were definitely influenced by Motown on a certain level... I love that song too [[and the album off it).

Jimi LaLumia
01-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Ready For Love is what it is.. I've said that for decades in print magazines etc

marv2
01-22-2016, 11:30 PM
It emulates it but it's not enough to say it's a copy. The Motown Sound did influence the punk rock sound [[though I don't know if it's acknowledged as such). Marvin Gaye's early music definitely influenced punk as did The Miracles' music.

The producer and co-writer for much of Lust for Life was the legendary David Bowie. He and Iggy [[a Michigan native himself) were definitely influenced by Motown on a certain level... I love that song too [[and the album off it).

Iggy use to rip up Ann Arbor whenever they played there back in the day.

midnightman
01-23-2016, 12:05 AM
^ Yeah, I think that's where he's from. I think all the Stooges came from Ann Arbor...

marv2
01-23-2016, 01:41 PM
^ Yeah, I think that's where he's from. I think all the Stooges came from Ann Arbor...

Yeah they use to have like marathon concerts.......LOL!

Jimi LaLumia
01-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Iggy when he was still James Osterberg played drums for a local Detroit band called The Iguanas and the band were playing with The Supremes in Detroit in that 1965-66 period according to James just before he became "Iggy"

marv2
01-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Iggy when he was still James Osterberg played drums for a local Detroit band called The Iguanas and the band were playing with The Supremes in Detroit in that 1965-66 period according to James just before he became "Iggy"

Great backing info. Jimi!

Jimi LaLumia
01-23-2016, 03:47 PM
he was always very big on Motown, home town boy that he was