PDA

View Full Version : Darlene Love Sues Google

test

marybrewster
01-21-2016, 05:02 PM
I wonder how a ruling might affect our beloved Motown artists? Over the years, I've heard many Motorcity songs used in commercials.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/darlene-love-sues-google-using-857220

jobeterob
01-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Who knows? There might be some merit legally to this. But why is it that arising out of these lawsuits you get the feeling that many of them arise because people didn't know their rights in the 60's and 70's, they signed away their rights, they never had any rights to things, they misunderstood and they now are trying to make up for what they screwed up the first time around.

These suits cost so much; big numbers are bandied around, lawyers costs are high and I am left wondering what they get out of it in the end..............a richer lawyer?

luke
01-21-2016, 08:51 PM
How was Martha able to sue and get Motown settlement and royalties when she apparently signed away her rights to go to MCA?

marybrewster
01-22-2016, 02:37 PM
How was Martha able to sue and get Motown settlement and royalties when she apparently signed away her rights to go to MCA?

What would be interesting to know is; are all of the original Motown contracts stored somewhere? What if this day and age, an artist wanted to sue Motown? Who exactly would they be taking to court? Berry hasn't been involved in the company for years [[that we know of).

Philles/Motown Gary
01-23-2016, 02:30 AM
Funny.... When I heard Darlene's "Marshmallow World" on that TV commercial, I was thinking how cool it is that Darlene's really on a hot streak right now! Her newly-recorded CD had just come out, and HGTV was using Darlene's "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)" from the Philles Christmas album in a commercial promoting the Property Brothers' show which was getting a LOT of airplay. I was thinking how THAT much prime-time exposure should be considered a blessing to be grateful for.