PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking - Susaye Led Version

test

jobeterob
01-20-2016, 03:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiUkACQtCqE

sup_fan
01-20-2016, 04:26 PM
given how they took bits of her lead and made them ad libs in the final released version, I've wondered if they did the same thing with Driving Wheel. just speculating here but perhaps there was a Susaye lead on that, which they then cut out bits for her harmonizing

sup_fan
01-20-2016, 04:32 PM
another interesting discussion point with IGLMHDTW is the number of versions:

the released LP version
the unreleased original LP version
the single version
the version performed on Soul Train
the version on Bandstand - which I believe is a longer version of the Soul Train one
Susaye's lead
the alt lead of Scherrie with the unedited backing track from the Let Yourself Go cds

too bad they never did an official 12" release version.

TheMotownManiac
01-20-2016, 05:48 PM
All that squealing would have killed it completely. It's just a better than average disco track to begin with - plus it's impossible to discern half of what she's singing. it's great she can make those noises but that doesn't mean we want to hear them to excess. No way would that ever get played even once.
Scherrie's screaching at the beginning is a turn off to a lot of folks I know. Her vocal is strong and powerful but lacks heart and feeling.

Patti & Aretha save their vocal pyrotechnics for album cuts and live shows. Radio wants lyrics spoon fed. I'd have given it to Mary. Or even Diana who excels at this.

marv2
01-20-2016, 07:12 PM
All that squealing would have killed it completely. It's just a better than average disco track to begin with - plus it's impossible to discern half of what she's singing. it's great she can make those noises but that doesn't mean we want to hear them to excess. No way would that ever get played even once.
Scherrie's screaching at the beginning is a turn off to a lot of folks I know. Her vocal is strong and powerful but lacks heart and feeling.

Patti & Aretha save their vocal pyrotechnics for album cuts and live shows. Radio wants lyrics spoon fed. I'd have given it to Mary. Or even Diana who excels at this.

That's called SOUL! You might not understand that.
LOL!

marv2
01-20-2016, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiUkACQtCqE

Great, great, great! These three ladies and Thelma Houston were the best female vocalists on Motown Records in 1976! These girls were BAD!

TheMotownManiac
01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Perhaps. Everyone has different taste. Considering Diana had 2 #1 singles and 3 top 20 albums in '76 - that's quite a statement. But MSS couldn't make a go of it at Motown, nor could they sell a record after Motown. Thelma is light years ahead of MSS individually, IMO and I know what soul is. I also know what over singing and show boating is. Aretha, Thelma & Patti ARE soul, but don't resort to those noises on single material because it doesn't get played. That to me makes them bad vocalists. Vocal talent they have, but talent as a vocalist, not so much.

TheMotownManiac
01-20-2016, 07:48 PM
I still think the song had the best chance on Mary.

marv2
01-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Perhaps. Everyone has different taste. Considering Diana had 2 #1 singles and 3 top 20 albums in '76 - that's quite a statement. But MSS couldn't make a go of it at Motown, nor could they sell a record after Motown. Thelma is light years ahead of MSS individually, IMO and I know what soul is. I also know what over singing and show boating is. Aretha, Thelma & Patti ARE soul, but don't resort to those noises on single material because it doesn't get played. That to me makes them bad vocalists. Vocal talent they have, but talent as a vocalist, not so much.

You're talking sales and we all know talent has nothing to do with sales. Marketing and promotion does. These were high vocal stylists. They could sing anything without having to be heavily produced. Motown should have given all three solo contracts if the three had ever mutually decided to put the Supremes thing to rest.

captainjames
01-20-2016, 09:16 PM
I am not going to comment because I love Susaye to Life as well as Scherrie.

blackguy69
01-20-2016, 09:36 PM

I agree with you. Look at jean for example. Pretty calm on records but lets it all out live

jobeterob
01-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Except she got terribly shrill on the Jimmy Webb album.

marv2
01-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Except she got terribly shrill on the Jimmy Webb album.

and still sounded much better than Diane Ross "i will survive" LOL!!!!

luke
01-20-2016, 11:28 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmhzd46Ox4I Aretha lets loose on record and is freaking magnificent!. I'm In Love..cause this is SOUL .

REDHOT
01-20-2016, 11:51 PM
You started this thread to start drama Jobeterod,you and your friends are not foolin anyone,not me lmao

marv2
01-21-2016, 12:05 AM
You started this thread to start drama Jobeterod,you and your friends are not foolin anyone,not me lmao

You know that was the case.

marv2
01-21-2016, 12:07 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmhzd46Ox4I Aretha lets loose on record and is freaking magnificent!. I'm In Love..cause this is SOUL .

Now that is SINGING! This one is her most underrated masterpiece........give listen and see if you remember this classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oAnMvThfU

marv2
01-21-2016, 12:15 AM
Imagine if Carolyn Franklin and Mary Wilson had kept their little group together and then recruited big sister Aretha!!!!! Whew!

luke
01-21-2016, 12:33 AM
OMG. Can u imagine?? The Supreme Supremes!! Maybe they could let Erma in too.

luke
01-21-2016, 12:46 AM
When her highness hit those notes at around 3 minutes I'd swear I was in heaven!!

marv2
01-21-2016, 12:53 AM
OMG. Can u imagine?? The Supreme Supremes!! Maybe they could let Erma in too.

Erma would have been perfect. Berry tried to sign Erma and Smokey wanted to write songs for her! They would have been the super group!

marv2
01-21-2016, 12:54 AM
When her highness hit those notes at around 3 minutes I'd swear I was in heaven!!

She gives ya chills! LOL!

theboyfromxtown
01-21-2016, 05:39 AM
Now that is SINGING! This one is her most underrated masterpiece........give listen and see if you remember this classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oAnMvThfU

I remember buying this. What a great song. That wailing wa a killer. It was a huge thing for me but it didn't do anything for anyone else!

I never heard of it again after I bought it.

I have not played this for years. What a great reminder.

Bluebrock
01-21-2016, 06:49 AM
I totally agree. I love Diana, MSS, but Thelma could out sing all four of them no problem.
I am going to see her live next week along with Mary so it will be interesting to see if she can still cut it.

REDHOT
01-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Thanks for postin' Aretha Franklin song,Master Of Eyes,i haven't heard it,in years,love it.

marv2
01-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for postin' Aretha Franklin song,Master Of Eyes,i haven't heard it,in years,love it.

You are welcome. It is truly a hidden classic. It got radio airplay, but was issued only as a single in Feb. '73 for some reason.

marv2
01-21-2016, 09:52 AM
I remember buying this. What a great song. That wailing wa a killer. It was a huge thing for me but it didn't do anything for anyone else!

It did not doing anything for anyone where you were, but it was a very popular recording where I was.......................in Detroit at the time!

captainjames
01-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Hey John,
I bought this as well because I was just an Aretha Franklin fan.

marv2
01-21-2016, 04:08 PM
I loved it [[Master of Eyes) because she sang with complete abandonment using her total range!

marv2
01-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Now flip side of this single gives further proof of Aretha's mastery as a vocalist. "Moody's Mood" which is TOTALLY different from "Master of Eyes":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KIrFRoIo3c

Ollie9
01-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Now flip side of this single gives further proof of Aretha's mastery as a vocalist. "Moody's Mood" which is TOTALLY different from "Master of Eyes":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KIrFRoIo3c

I am not really a huge Aretha fan, but your posts made me check out the album the songs were from. What a great, ecletic album "Hey Now Hey" is. For me her best. I will now try and buy a copy. These are the positive things about music forums. You get to hear music that otherwise might have passed you by.....

marv2
01-22-2016, 10:55 AM
I am not really a huge Aretha fan, but your posts made me check out the album the songs were from. What a great, ecletic album "Hey Now Hey" is. For me her best. I will now try and buy a copy. These are the positive things about music forums. You get to hear music that otherwise might have passed you by.....

Ollie, I've had this album for 43 years as of next month. Get it, you will not be disappointed!

Bluebrock
01-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Ollie, I've had this album for 43 years as of next month. Get it, you will not be disappointed!
I agree. It is a very good album, and I shall be revisiting it this weekend.

jobeterob
01-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Even if this song isn't finished and isn't the best showcase, there might have been a chance for the Supremes to use Susaye in the 70's and go in a different direction and be more successful and have lasted.

The 70's were tough because the groups faded and it was the era of the singer/songwriter - Carole King, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye.