PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Do Cover of Diana Ross Solo or with Supremes Tribute Album

test

Koach
01-17-2016, 01:04 PM
If you could pick one artist to do one, who would you pick? I do a lot of checking out and am looking for certain ones. I have picked ones, but this chick sticks out. She's a Japanese singer and am not sure if she sings English, but she seems versatile, beautiful tone, and good with audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzVXpByPUFs

Her name is Hiroko Yakushimaru. She also did a cover of A Lover's Concerto in the 80s, which The Supremes covered.

Ollie9
01-17-2016, 05:41 PM
Sorry, but this is the kind of salubrious singing my parents would have enjoyed if they were still alive. She sounds whiter than white... Perhaps Susan Boyle!"£$%^&*

thommg
01-18-2016, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing Pink do Love Is Here And Now You're Gone.

longtimefan
01-18-2016, 01:37 AM
In my opinion, no one. The ladies' music stands for itself. If anything, completing the expanded editions in a timely manner is preferable. Why not use the format of The Marvelettes collections, i.e., several albums remastered in one package with one extra disc of rarities?

Bluebrock
01-18-2016, 08:08 AM
In my opinion, no one. The ladies' music stands for itself. If anything, completing the expanded editions in a timely manner is preferable. Why not use the format of The Marvelettes collections, i.e., several albums remastered in one package with one extra disc of rarities?
Sounds like a great idea to me!

Ollie9
01-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Diana makes it all sound so easy. I realise this whenever i hear another singer covering one of her songs. For me it never really works. I think the same of most tribute albums. It's the real deal or nothing.

Bluebrock
01-18-2016, 12:28 PM
Diana makes it all sound so easy. I realise this whenever i hear another singer covering one of her songs. For me it never really works. I think the same of most tribute albums. It's the real deal or nothing.
Correct Ollie. Certain people wax lyrical about Diana's lack of vocal prowess but I can think of very few performers who have made a good job of a song originally recorded by her. That is testament to her quality.

Mark Desjardines
01-18-2016, 02:06 PM
In my opinion, the only time covers of Diana Ross & The Supremes recordings, or any other Motown artists for that matter, work, is when a strikingly different arrangement is undertaken.

marybrewster
01-18-2016, 03:41 PM
In my opinion, the only time covers of Diana Ross & The Supremes recordings, or any other Motown artists for that matter, work, is when a strikingly different arrangement is undertaken.

I couldn't agree more. Because the sound of Diana/The Supremes is so recognizable, one would completely have to take their songbook into a different direction. Bette Midler had some success recently with covering "girl groups"; her "You Can't Hurry Love" was a smidge on the country side; a smart move rather than attempting a carbon copy.

A few years back, both J-Lo and Mariah covered Diana's "Mahogany". To me, even with lush production, both fell flat when compared against the original. Sometimes a "tribute" album isn't the best route for an artist.

I'd much rather see Diana [[or Mary) tackle someone else's repertoire. Sarah Vaughan? Lena Horne? Ella Fitzgerald? Carmen McRae?

marv2
01-18-2016, 04:29 PM
I couldn't agree more. Because the sound of Diana/The Supremes is so recognizable, one would completely have to take their songbook into a different direction. Bette Midler had some success recently with covering "girl groups"; her "You Can't Hurry Love" was a smidge on the country side; a smart move rather than attempting a carbon copy.

A few years back, both J-Lo and Mariah covered Diana's "Mahogany". To me, even with lush production, both fell flat when compared against the original. Sometimes a "tribute" album isn't the best route for an artist.

I'd much rather see Diana [[or Mary) tackle someone else's repertoire. Sarah Vaughan? Lena Horne? Ella Fitzgerald? Carmen McRae?

Mary has done Lena Horne's songs live for several years now. She has also sang songs made famous by Sarah Vaughn and recorded "Body & Soul" on her "Up Close" live Jazz CD.

antceleb12
01-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Were she alive today, I believe Amy Winehouse could have done a killer Supremes - or Motown, in general - album [[although I don't think she cared too much for them).

RossHolloway
01-18-2016, 06:06 PM
I think it would be interesting to have HDH and Smokey produce Adele singing some Motown classics and deep album tracks.

marv2
01-18-2016, 06:27 PM
I think it would be interesting to have HDH and Smokey produce Adele singing some Motown classics and deep album tracks.

I do not like that idea. I heard what she [[Adele) did to a Burt Bacharach song and it sucked real bad! I would never want to hear her destroy any of the Motown classics. Someone like Joss Stone, Joan Osborne or Jonelle Monae and especially Ledisi would do great jobs!

jobeterob
01-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Both you and MaryBrewster have this down so right.

A remarkable fizzle was the gifted Mariah Carey and Luther Vandross covering Endless Love which has been largely forgotten.

Gifted vocal artists like Whitney Houston, Beyonce, and Aretha Franklin have never really improved on Ross/Supremes songs they've covered.

marv2
01-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Both you and MaryBrewster have this down so right.

A remarkable fizzle was the gifted Mariah Carey and Luther Vandross covering Endless Love which has been largely forgotten.

Gifted vocal artists like Whitney Houston, Beyonce, and Aretha Franklin have never really improved on Ross/Supremes songs they've covered.

Luther also recorded "Reflections" and did a great job. To me, the Four Tops covers of Supremes and Diana Ross songs were superior to the originals.

Phil Collins' version of "You Can't Hurry Love" was also quite good. Kim Wilde did a nice job with "You Keep Me Hanging On".

antceleb12
01-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Luther also recorded "Reflections" and did a great job. To me, the Four Tops covers of Supremes and Diana Ross songs were superior to the originals.

Phil Collins' version of "You Can't Hurry Love" was also quite good. Kim Wilde did a nice job with "You Keep Me Hanging On".

Luther's "Reflections" is excellent, as is Kim's "You Keep Me Hanging On." I have always found Phil's "You Can't Hurry Love" to be quite irritating. I think its been because no one has been able to get the background vocals right. Not only is it my favorite Supremes song, but it has my favorite set of Supremes backing vocals.

marv2
01-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Luther's "Reflections" is excellent, as is Kim's "You Keep Me Hanging On." I have always found Phil's "You Can't Hurry Love" to be quite irritating. I think its been because no one has been able to get the background vocals right. Not only is it my favorite Supremes song, but it has my favorite set of Supremes backing vocals.

I really like the rhythm track on Phil's version.

luke
01-18-2016, 10:31 PM
So true antceleb. Couldn't tolerate Phil Collins singing...passionless . So glad Flo insisted on just her and Mary on backgrounds.

captainjames
01-18-2016, 10:52 PM
I wonder if anyone remembers Sweet Sensation video of Love Child......LOL
As far as remakes Donnie Elbert probably did the best job of a Supreme song with " Where Did I Love Go". No one comes close to a Supreme or Diana Ross song besides Diana Ross or the Supremes. Michael Jackson would have been my only choose for anyone to play tribute to their music.

luke
01-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Kylie Minogue?? Lol

Jaap
01-19-2016, 04:16 AM
The most hilarious Ross cover must be Man Meadow from Sweden doing a Hi_NRG version of Eaten Alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1n2OyBP9c

Ollie9
01-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Well this was fun, and quite easy on the eye. Diana's version could have been soooo much better had it been slowed down a jot and simplified. To my ears the Ross arrangement is far to frantic, with Diana almost breathless trying to keep up with the pace of it all. Michaels vocals are to prominant and Barrys wailing in the background is a tad over the top.
Thank you for posting Jaap

antceleb12
01-19-2016, 08:25 AM
As far as remakes Donnie Elbert probably did the best job of a Supreme song with " Where Did I Love Go". No one comes close to a Supreme or Diana Ross song besides Diana Ross or the Supremes. Michael Jackson would have been my only choose for anyone to play tribute to their music.

I remember this! i actually liked it...and this picture is a dead-on nod to the Supremes!

jobeterob
01-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Could they have found a "taller" Love Child? At least Dreamgirls stayed closer to the pictures.

That's a dead version of Eaten Alive as well.

johnjeb
01-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Well this was fun, and quite easy on the eye. Diana's version could have been soooo much better had it been slowed down a jot and simplified. To my ears the Ross arrangement is far to frantic, with Diana almost breathless trying to keep up with the pace of it all. Michaels vocals are to prominant and Barrys wailing in the background is a tad over the top.
Thank you for posting Jaap

Agree. I liked this remake.

Just commenting the other day that although I like Diana's Eaten' Alive album, I didn't like the title song.

This version is better. And, yes, very easy on the eyes!

marybrewster
01-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Somewhere in my collection, I have a Mary Wilson cover of "Love Child"; an outtake from her "Walk the Line" LP. It uses the same exact backing track [[and even background vocals) as Sweet Sensation's version.

marybrewster
01-19-2016, 03:35 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm surprised more "girl groups" didn't try their hand at a Supremes cover. Besides Sweet Sensation, all I can think of is The Good Girls "Love is Like An Itching in My Heart" and High Inergy "Back in My Arms Again".

marv2
01-19-2016, 03:50 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm surprised more "girl groups" didn't try their hand at a Supremes cover. Besides Sweet Sensation, all I can think of is The Good Girls "Love is Like An Itching in My Heart" and High Inergy "Back in My Arms Again".

These girls got some play with this Supremes cover and even scored a minor hit with a Four Tops remake:

Soft Touch my world is empty without you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djRifaebXM8

sansradio
01-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Somewhere in my collection, I have a Mary Wilson cover of "Love Child"; an outtake from her "Walk the Line" LP. It uses the same exact backing track [[and even background vocals) as Sweet Sensation's version.

Oh, cool! I remember Mary being on Rick Dees' late night show when the Sweet Sensation cover was out. Turkessa was crazy about the song; she said, "Mommy, can you get me 'Love Child'?" Mary responded, "Wait a minute...THE 'Love Child'?" Turkessa gave her a blank look. Mary pulled out the record of the original and played it for her. Turkessa responded, "Oh, Mommy! Right on!" I guess this inspired La Mare to cut her own similar version!

zani57
01-19-2016, 04:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5L8oc4kUVE

marv2
01-19-2016, 04:46 PM
The Four Tops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWua54OYY_w

blueskies
01-19-2016, 05:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WcgH5xDek

http://www.amazon.de/Songs-Supreme-Heaven-Sent/dp/B0000DJ26X/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1453238357&sr=1-3&keywords=heaven+sent

marv2
01-19-2016, 05:06 PM
Luther Vandross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZQFvp1fruw

jboy88
01-19-2016, 07:20 PM

Funny you should mention that! The first time I heard Rolling in the Deep, I was immediately reminded of the Four Tops, "Stranded on the Road of Love". I could easily picture Lawrence, Duke and Obie soing their steps behind her. Had the latter not been vaulted for 30 years, Adele might of been in the same boat as Pharrell and Robin Thicke.

marv2
01-19-2016, 07:37 PM

I have that. I believe she recorded it in the early 90s.

TheMotownManiac
01-19-2016, 10:44 PM
Thanks Marv for posting Luther's Reflections. I'd never heard it and it's superb - better than the original, I think. I love his vocal and the bg is light years better - as is the track. Of course, I had heard the Tops' cover and I still hate it - it has no real focus or direction. It sounds as if they just wanted it to be different without a passion for a result. Frank Wilson at his worst.

zani57
01-20-2016, 05:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2z8TpFV748

zani57
01-20-2016, 05:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aQ8olQQTyo

zani57
01-20-2016, 05:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3b_Qq3GYmY

marv2
01-26-2016, 10:32 PM
LaToya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3fMmuX840

Bluebrock
01-27-2016, 06:24 AM
LaToya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3fMmuX840
Oh my God!!

Ollie9
01-27-2016, 11:28 AM
"wow", so much talent............................. not on display!!I really dig Luther, but for me his version of "Relections" and certain other tracks on that album just lack a certain something. I think he should have gone with his original Supremes choice of "Come See About Me". Love his stunning version of "Killing Me Softly".I feel it would have been really something quite special had he teamed up with Diana to record a duet version of "Best Years"....Thinking top ten hit.

Bluebrock
01-27-2016, 11:53 AM
"wow", so much talent............................. not on display!!I really dig Luther, but for me his version of "Relections" and certain other tracks on that album just lack a certain something. I think he should have gone with his original Supremes choice of "Come See About Me". Love his stunning version of "Killing Me Softly".I feel it would have been really something quite special had he teamed up with Diana to record a duet version of "Best Years"....Thinking top ten hit.

Agree that Luther's version of "killing me" was awesome. Not overly fussed with the rest of his covers album. He also considered doing a version of "reach out, i'll be there" based on Diana's version rather than the Tops. That could have been a killer. Don't think he actually got around to recording it but it was certainly on his radar.

Ollie9
01-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Agree that Luther's version of "killing me" was awesome. Not overly fussed with the rest of his covers album. He also considered doing a version of "reach out, i'll be there" based on Diana's version rather than the Tops. That could have been a killer. Don't think he actually got around to recording it but it was certainly on his radar.

I never knew that about Luther and "Reach Out" Bluerock. I do agree, it could have proved to be very interesting, although for me Diana's version would be hard to top. I know he had wanted to duet on "It's Hard For Me To Say", but Diana had said she wanted no duets to feature on RHRAB. Huge mistake by her. I think their voices mesh really well together, and this could have given her that elusive hit from the album

Jaap
01-28-2016, 11:25 AM
I never knew that about Luther and "Reach Out" Bluerock. I do agree, it could have proved to be very interesting, although for me Diana's version would be hard to top. I know he had wanted to duet on "It's Hard For Me To Say", but Diana had said she wanted no duets to feature on RHRAB. Huge mistake by her. I think their voices mesh really well together, and this could have given her that elusive hit from the album

Yes, it is such a shame they didn't do It's Hard For Me To Say together [[although you can hear Luther clearly in the background). His version is also really nice. Still waiting for someone to merge the two version together into a duet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSf95nMe0M

sansradio
01-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Just had a thought...what about Janelle Monae?

Bluebrock
01-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Luther desperately wanted to produce a whole album on her. He asked everyone - The record Company, her employees and Diana herself to no avail. He sent flowers to her office, wined and dined her, presented her with demos but at that point in time she wanted to make a more pop oriented album rather than in a soul/r&b direction. When the RHRAB TV special came about it put the final nail in the coffin. She was in turmoil with the record company and with other people too. She finally agreed to let him produce one track with the possibility of a full future album if it turned out well. Luther cleared his schedule to produce her return to Motown album, but as we all know she reunited with Nile Rodgers to produce the abysmal "working overtime" album. Sad but true.

reese
01-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Luther desperately wanted to produce a whole album on her. He asked everyone - The record Company, her employees and Diana herself to no avail. He sent flowers to her office, wined and dined her, presented her with demos but at that point in time she wanted to make a more pop oriented album rather than in a soul/r&b direction. When the RHRAB TV special came about it put the final nail in the coffin. She was in turmoil with the record company and with other people too. She finally agreed to let him produce one track with the possibility of a full future album if it turned out well. Luther cleared his schedule to produce her return to Motown album, but as we all know she reunited with Nile Rodgers to produce the abysmal "working overtime" album. Sad but true.

I vaguely recall a Luther interview before the release of RHRAB where he mentioned that Diana was going to let him produce three songs, but he was holding out for an entire album. That's why I was surprised when he only ended up producing one track.

It would have been nice to see how an entire Diana/Luther collaboration turned out. His albums with Aretha, and especially Dionne, were very good.

marv2
01-28-2016, 05:10 PM

That was just the kind of nice guy Luther was. He gave Mary Wilson a fur........

Ollie9
01-29-2016, 06:54 AM

This is fascinating to me. I never knew that he had hoped to produce her return to Motown album. It's so hard to understand [[no pun) why Diana was so reluctant to work with him. Luther was a renowned producer with a proven track record at this point.
It's incredible to think that this year, RHRAB is twenty nine years old.....Seems like yesterday......Yikes.

Bluebrock
01-29-2016, 07:56 AM
This is fascinating to me. I never knew that he had hoped to produce her return to Motown album. It's so hard to understand [[no pun) why Diana was so reluctant to work with him. Luther was a renowned producer with a proven track record at this point.
It's incredible to think that this year, RHRAB is twenty nine years old.....Seems like yesterday......Yikes.
Rumours at the time indicated that Luther did produce around 4 songs with Diana in London in 1986 of which only "it's hard for me to say" was actually released. I am not 100% certain of this but I think the offer of a TV special put paid to any plans to produce a full album. It is frustrating to think these tracks are gathering dust in the vault , but Diana has the final say as to what was released and what could be in the future. She would not allow any previously unreleased stuff to feature on the RCA Funkytowngrooves reissues from a couple of years ago. She has no control over her Motown material which is why so much stuff continues to finally see the light of day from those days.

Bluebrock
01-29-2016, 07:57 AM
That was just the kind of nice guy Luther was. He gave Mary Wilson a fur........

And there was me thinking this was a Diana Ross thread!