PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOTOWN RECORDS Jan 12, 1959

test

milven
01-12-2016, 04:11 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOTOWN. It was founded by Berry Gordy, Jr. as Tamla Records on January 12, 1959, and incorporated as Motown Record Corporation on April 14, 1960, in Detroit, Michigan. The name, a combination of motor and town, has also become a nickname for Detroit

Motown Records is, was, and always will be unique. It stood out in its individuality. Radio stations devote weekends to the label and even Soulful Detroit devotes a separate section for Motown.

Happy Birthday to a label that has brought me and millions of people many hours of joy and happiness.

midnightman
01-12-2016, 06:06 PM
What a rich legacy... :)

reese
01-12-2016, 07:50 PM
They did a nice profile of Motown today on the tv program THROUGH THE DECADES, with old comments from Smokey, Stevie, and Diana. Unfortunately, they misidentified Debbie Allen as Mary Wells.

milven
01-12-2016, 07:54 PM
They did a nice profile of Motown today on the tv program THROUGH THE DECADES, with old comments from Smokey, Stevie, and Diana. Unfortunately, they misidentified Debbie Allen as Mary Wells.

I watched the episode earlier and that was what inspired me to start this thread. Perhaps I only half watched since I missed the misidentification that you mentioned

Roberta75
01-12-2016, 08:16 PM
The best music in the world. Thanks Mr Gordy.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Happy Birthday to Motown Record Corporation -- the best record company EVER!

franjoy56
01-12-2016, 09:40 PM
:)
Happy Birthday to Motown Record Corporation -- the best record company EVER! Yes happy bday to motowns Tamla records indeed. I saw that episode today too on decades, I'm gonna watch i again at 1 am. The first tamla record I bought was the Miracles "I gotta dance to keep from crying" in the 39c bin in the spring of 1964 and have been loving that record ever since.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-13-2016, 01:29 AM
Franjoy56, my first Motown record was Mary Wells' "My Guy" in the summer of 1964. But, like you, I bought my copy of The Miracles' "I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying" in the close-out bin, too! Those mid-1960's department store close-out tables held a wealth of deleted Motown treasures on 45 as well as deleted Motown album product -- all of which were new to me at the time, but all of which I bought and loved. Those were the good-old days, for sure!

franjoy56
01-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Franjoy56, my first Motown record was Mary Wells' "My Guy" in the summer of 1964. But, like you, I bought my copy of The Miracles' "I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying" in the close-out bin, too! Those mid-1960's department store close-out tables held a wealth of deleted Motown treasures on 45 as well as deleted Motown album product -- all of which were new to me at the time, but all of which I bought and loved. Those were the good-old days, for sure! I also saw t tamla release buttered popcorn in the 39 cents bin but passed on it not familiar w t supremes except for t newly released. lovelights. but my mother bought that one.

arr&bee
01-13-2016, 11:39 PM
I remember as a kid in elementary school falling in love with mary wells records, thank you berry for all this great,grand music.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-14-2016, 12:45 AM
I also saw t tamla release buttered popcorn in the 39 cents bin but passed on it not familiar w t supremes except for t newly released. lovelights. but my mother bought that one.
Fran, too bad you didn't know then what we know now. "Buttered Popcorn" would have made a nifty little prize in your collection!

Motown Eddie
01-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Happy 57th Birthday Motown. I'll always remember 1964 as the year that I first became aware of Motown [[thanks to 'My Guy', 'Dancing In The Street' & 'Where Did Our Love Go'). My parents [[and my big sisters) bought a few of the big hits from the mid '60s and the first record I bought on Motown was 'Cloud Nine' by The Temps [[followed closely by Marvin's 'Grapevine', The Supremes' 'Love Child' & Stevie's 'For Once In My Life'). I was one of lucky ones to grow up when "The Sound Of Young America" first made it's mark. Motown For Life!

arr&bee
01-14-2016, 10:26 PM
I remember when i heard[way over there]for the first time,blew me away.