PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson "U"

test

marv2
01-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Finally someone posted the original version of "U" heard on the radio. Check out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3C0yaVktf8

daviddh
01-09-2016, 06:26 PM
this was really good, thought it should have done well for her .not sure if she still does it in her show. she should

marv2
01-09-2016, 06:42 PM
this was really good, thought it should have done well for her .not sure if she still does it in her show. she should

I agree, it should have done better. It got airplay on WBLS in New York and was generally well received. She has not done this one since the late 90s in her show.

midnightman
01-09-2016, 07:46 PM
I remember seeing the video you posted of her performing this song, marv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fkrz1BWi4M

marv2
01-09-2016, 07:57 PM
I remember seeing the video you posted of her performing this song, marv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fkrz1BWi4M

The guys that produced that video were surprised to see a copy of it on Youtube. LOL! They were nice though and explained the fun they had working on it and who some of the people are in the video.

marv2
01-09-2016, 07:58 PM
I have clips of Mary performing it on a couple of shows but I don't have access to my collection at the moment.

thommg
01-09-2016, 08:15 PM
I bought the cd single of this at Tower Records in Los Angeles. It contains:
R&B Mix [[by Groove-E)
Sylk 130 Mix [[by King Britt + John Wicks)
Sylk 130 Instrumental
Hip Hop Mix [[by Tony D. + The Flavor King)
The Midnight Mix
Dancehall Mix

Thi is the song that started my friend calling her "Mary J. Blige Wilson".

marv2
01-09-2016, 08:30 PM
I bought the cd single of this at Tower Records in Los Angeles. It contains:
R&B Mix [[by Groove-E)
Sylk 130 Mix [[by King Britt + John Wicks)
Sylk 130 Instrumental
Hip Hop Mix [[by Tony D. + The Flavor King)
The Midnight Mix
Dancehall Mix

Thi is the song that started my friend calling her "Mary J. Blige Wilson".

HAHAHA! I know what you mean because people in their 20s & 30s really liked this song.

midnightman
01-09-2016, 10:09 PM
^^ Lol I like that. Mary was going through a hip hop soul swing at the time. :)

marv2
01-09-2016, 10:56 PM
^^ Lol I like that. Mary was going through a hip hop soul swing at the time. :)

One night at B. B. Kings during one of her shows, Mary told the crowd that she was the original Mary that wore the blonde wig! LOL!

TheMotownManiac
01-10-2016, 02:41 AM
My friends and I thought this was Mary's breakthrough hit. Clubs played it and U was played regularly on KATZ in St Louis but was hard to find in stores initially. I bought mine at Univac in St Louis, but none of the smaller stores between Bloomington and St Louis had it.

midnightman
01-10-2016, 03:08 AM
One night at B. B. Kings during one of her shows, Mary told the crowd that she was the original Mary that wore the blonde wig! LOL!

Lol as a kid I used to go "Mary J. need to give Mary Wilson her props for the blonde wigs". :D

marv2
01-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Lol as a kid I used to go "Mary J. need to give Mary Wilson her props for the blonde wigs". :D

I wonder what they said to each other when they first met? LOL

Bluebrock
01-10-2016, 02:21 PM
I have clips of Mary performing it on a couple of shows but I don't have access to my collection at the moment.
I saw her perform it on a UK chat show in the 90's. Was it Selina Scott maybe? I recall her speaking of the tragic death of her son on the same show.

marv2
01-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I saw her perform it on a UK chat show in the 90's. Was it Selina Scott maybe? I recall her speaking of the tragic death of her son on the same show.

Yes she did perform it on the Selina Scott show. They shot it in B/W. That video was up for a while. She also performed it on a couple of U.S. daytime programs.

marv2
01-10-2016, 03:08 PM

She got so into her performance that she lost her earring! LOL!

Mark Desjardines
01-10-2016, 03:12 PM
"U" was the perfect musical setting for Mary Wilson to strut her musical pipes, and still enjoy playing the vinyl extended mix version I have. Especially enjoy the King Britt version.

marv2
01-10-2016, 03:27 PM
"U" was the perfect musical setting for Mary Wilson to strut her musical pipes, and still enjoy playing the vinyl extended mix version I have. Especially enjoy the King Britt version.

It really was unexpected by us when she came out with this one. It was perfect for the times.

Bluebrock
01-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Yes she did perform it on the Selina Scott show. They shot it in B/W. That video was up for a while. She also performed it on a couple of U.S. daytime programs.
I don't recall it being in b/w. Why would they do that?

marv2
01-10-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't recall it being in b/w. Why would they do that?

The interview was in regular color,but the set up for Mary's performance was in black and white through to the play out. I guess they just wanted it to look special, like a music video. I have it on video. It use to be up on Yahoo before they changed their video site. Remember how it started with the birds flying and a close up of just Mary's eyes? She had on a white jacket and tight black bodysuit.

Bluebrock
01-10-2016, 06:20 PM
The interview was in regular color,but the set up for Mary's performance was in black and white through to the play out. I guess they just wanted it to look special, like a music video. I have it on video. It use to be up on Yahoo before they changed their video site. Remember how it started with the birds flying and a close up of just Mary's eyes? She had on a white jacket and tight black bodysuit.
It would be good to see again if you could make it happen............

marv2
01-10-2016, 07:43 PM
It would be good to see again if you could make it happen............

It's going to be a while.

detmotownguy
01-10-2016, 09:21 PM

When you think about it Bluerock she really has been through a lot; while handling it all with grace and dignity.

Bluebrock
01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
When you think about it Bluerock she really has been through a lot; while handling it all with grace and dignity.
The loss of a child is the worst hell anyone can go through. You never totally get over it. You learn to live with it but the heartache never goes away. You can only understand it if you have been through it.

marv2
01-11-2016, 08:10 PM
The loss of a child is the worst hell anyone can go through. You never totally get over it. You learn to live with it but the heartache never goes away. You can only understand it if you have been through it.

It is the absolute worst. Mary Wilson an extremely strong individual and spiritual. There are not many that could continue on as strong and courageously as she has. Some lose their money and then their lives are over. Mary is a survivor in every sense of the word.

luke
01-11-2016, 09:27 PM
I remember that TV show Sally Jesse Raphael on which Mary came on and shared about her loss. I think I still have it somewhere. Very powerful.

marv2
01-11-2016, 09:33 PM
I remember that TV show Sally Jesse Raphael on which Mary came on and shared about her loss. I think I still have it somewhere. Very powerful.

I recognized half the audience for that show.

Bluebrock
01-12-2016, 09:22 AM
It's going to be a while.
Good things are worth waiting for..

marv2
01-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Here Mary is singing the song from her live concert DVD at the Sands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2zfoavDAW4

detmotownguy
01-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Here Mary is singing the song from her live concert DVD at the Sands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2zfoavDAW4
Thanks so much Marv....great find. I like it better than the recording. Mary's performances are so enjoyable to watch. Great stage presence.

marv2
01-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks so much Marv....great find. I like it better than the recording. Mary's performances are so enjoyable to watch. Great stage presence.

You are most welcome Detmotownguy! It always seems that Mary sings her recordings better live. I guess after she's had time to work them out for the live shows she really has become familiar with them and just tears it up in concert. I remember the first time I saw her sing "My Love Life Is A Disaster" live, it was so, so much better than the recording to me and others that people got up and started dancing as she made her way to the stage.

luke
01-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Same is true when I saw her singing Life's Been Goid to me. The crowd went wild how it all clicked .. The band and her. So much more excitement in person. A tribute to her power as a performer

marv2
01-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Same is true when I saw her singing Life's Been Goid to me. The crowd went wild how it all clicked .. The band and her. So much more excitement in person. A tribute to her power as a performer

This is a good song. I have a strong feeling that if it were re-worked, updated and released again with proper promotion.......KA- CHING! Another hit!

luke
01-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Totally agree. Great song that never achieved its potential and perfect for Mary. The team at Sweet Feet music seems very committed to Mary.

marv2
01-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Totally agree. Great song that never achieved its potential and perfect for Mary. The team at Sweet Feet music seems very committed to Mary.

They could get Mary to do some not a lot additional vocals, do the remixes and put it out.