PDA

View Full Version : supremes greatest hits b sides

test

daviddh
01-06-2016, 09:12 PM
curious, with the B sides that were used...I was curiuos as to why songs like Mother Dear ,which was considered for single release wasn't included on the lp collection. any theories I also thought GOING DOWN FOR THE THIRD TIME wasn't used. just thinking out loud

sansradio
01-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Well, bear in mind that "Going Down..." wasn't officially a B-side until "Reflections," which was the next single after Greatest Hits. I do see what you mean, though.

Glenpwood
01-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Actually "Reflections" was released before "Greatest Hits." The single that was released at the same time as GH was "In And Out Of Love." Reflections was originally scheduled to be on GH but was bumped at the last minute to its own self titled album along with IAOOL that came out in early 1968. Standing At The Crossroads Of Love replaced it. Going Down had already been an album cut on Sing HDH before the Reflections 45 was released so it could have been used. After all they padded out the 8 tracks with Put Yourself In My Place and Remove This Doubt. I wonder why they only went with five tracks per vinyl side anyway?

reese
01-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Actually "Reflections" was released before "Greatest Hits." The single that was released at the same time as GH was "In And Out Of Love." Reflections was originally scheduled to be on GH but was bumped at the last minute to its own self titled album along with IAOOL that came out in early 1968. Standing At The Crossroads Of Love replaced it. Going Down had already been an album cut on Sing HDH before the Reflections 45 was released so it could have been used. After all they padded out the 8 tracks with Put Yourself In My Place and Remove This Doubt. I wonder why they only went with five tracks per vinyl side anyway?

In truth, the Supremes' first greatest hits package could have been released on one disc, as they had only thirteen hits by that time, fourteen if you counted LOVELIGHT.

I gather Motown wanted to make it an elaborate package that would be different from the previous collections in the series, which were all one disc, with the exception of the Miracles' first one. So they added an original cover design, the autographed paintings, and expanded the number of tracks to 20 by including selected b-sides. If they had gone with six tracks per side, they would have had to add even more b-sides.

sansradio
01-07-2016, 10:53 AM

I stand corrected, Glenpwood. Thanks!