PDA

View Full Version : So, How's Everyone Liking This New SD Forum So Far?

test

msjoys
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
;) What do you think of this new forum? Your thoughts...

pshark
08-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Its about time. The old forum was outdated.

soulster
08-03-2010, 10:19 PM
The old forum was ancient and achingly slow. This place rocks...uh...grooves!

stephanie
08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
woof! woof! I have to get used to this. Its not as easy posting.

juicefree20
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Thus far, I'm loving it!

When you push the enter button to post, it's amazingly fast, with no delay!

Smoooooooth!

robb_k
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
This is a lot faster. I hope we can get avatars that go under our names on every post. Then, I won't have to keep uploading my picture.

http://a.imageshack.us/img85/9633/av5e.jpg
By rob_k [[http://profile.imageshack.us/user/rob_k) at 2010-08-03

soulster
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
All the mods have to do is turn on the feature.

hollywood_h
08-04-2010, 09:28 AM
So far so good.

144man
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I like the simplicity of the quick reply function.

KevLo
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi this is Kev-Lo
I have get use to it, but it looks good

ladyvanaye
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Mixed emotions...I supposed I'll get the hang of it sooner than later. Dont like the color choices. I like the darker forum.

nosey
08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I can't change my password even after clicking "My Profile". Help.

soulster
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I can't change my password even after clicking "My Profile". Help.

Go to where it says "Forum Actions" to the left of the screen, and hit "General Settings". Then go to "My Settings"/"My Account" on the left pane. There, you can change your password and email.

Hope this helps!

tsull1
08-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Absolutely, 100 percent hate it with every fiber of my body -- seriously.

paladin
08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Tim that was funny as hell and I'm feelin you, this is quite strange......

KevLo
08-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

Hi soulster can you chance your user name

nysister
08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
My eyes have to adjust to the whiteness after having been in the blackness for so long..LOL!!!
But it's fast and I'll get use to it!

kalisa
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
So far I'm liking the SDF Orange skin choice [[over the white-blindness). Will there be more choices as time goes on?

TRUST ME, you don't want to think about trying the SDF Red2... help me I'm drowning in bubbalicious!!

jim aka jtigre99
08-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I have used this type of posting forum for other entertainers-it is easy to use.

jobeterob
08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Change is hard for old people!

I'm in the "it's OK" group.

What surprises me is that the number of guests is far greater than the number of members online; LOL. They WATCH!

That, I like.:cool:

ralpht
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
But Rob, you're not old.........

whitesoxx
08-04-2010, 02:38 PM
It's a user friendlier forum! I'm just missing the posts from July 27 until today?

goomba
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
It's a user friendlier forum! I'm just missing the posts from July 27 until today?

Are any of the old threads being transferred here?

robb_k
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Change is hard for old people!

I'm in the "it's OK" group.

What surprises me is that the number of guests is far greater than the number of members online; LOL. They WATCH!

That, I like.:cool:

I think I've got a few years on you, Rob. And I don't remember anyone more old fashioned [[or living in the past) more than me.

But, I have to say that this new format is GREAT! It's super fast, and I don't lose any hourlong typing posts due to forgetting to hit post the 2nd time [[automatically going to Preview first). That was maddening. Also, I can once again upload record label scans, especially as the 50 kb limit for photos has been removed. HOORAY!!!

As Maxine Brown once said "You brought me out of the light" -"It's gonna be alright". I love not having the really dark background. On the other hand, this is a little TOO light. Maybe Lowell will make a couple more background choices. But, first, I know he has to do a lot of work to help the old members transfer over, successfully.

Also, turning on the avatar feature would be nice. Also, I'm down to averaging 5,619 posts per day today, down from 8,631 as of yesterday. Time to take it easy for a while. No one could keep up this pace.

grapevine
08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
...and mods ...when you get round to adding avatars ...can we also have 'signatures' too?

...thanks :)

arrr&bee
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't like it i hate change the old forum was comfy and warm this place is cold and damp and the paint aint dry yet...why did we move here was the lease up on the old place....raaaaalph!!!

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Something,something just ain't right. My computer/server does not like the new software.

robb_k
08-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't like it i hate change the old forum was comfy and warm this place is cold and damp and the paint aint dry yet...why did we move here was the lease up on the old place....raaaaalph!!!

Yes, this system seems a little less personal. But let's give it a chance. The old software was not really capable of carrying the load of all the threads and memory needed to navigate through them and keep all the data [[including SDF Archives). If we wanted to continue to keep everything and add to it, we had to move to software with a bigger capacity and more power to navigate through it. I'm guessing that we probably were just about at the limit, so Lowell and Ralph decided to convert over, before anything would be lost from an overcapacity [[before shutdowns from malfunction would occur).

juicefree20
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Yes Robb & remember how we lost a wealth of information a few years back when the old server crashed. We lost a lot of great threads back then & I'd never want anything like that to happen again!

ralpht
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Be cool. The paint will dry and it will be warm and cozy for you soon.

marv2
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I am here, but where did all of our great threads from the old place go?

paladin
08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I hope so, I'm lost like a mofo........this is too funny..........

robb_k
08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes Robb & remember how we lost a wealth of information a few years back when the old server crashed. We lost a lot of great threads back then & I'd never want anything like that to happen again!

Amen, Brother!

We lost some fantastic threads with firsthand stories about what happened back in the day from people who are no longer with us, we lost lots of information about record companies and old groups and single artists that had hundreds of label scans, etc. We can NEVER get that stuff back. Unfortunately, we've got to move with the times.

I'm just about the most old-fashioned person I know. And I have a terrible time trying to grasp the techniques of new technology [[we didn't even have TV, let alone computers) when I was growing up! I didn't even get a computer until 1998! I think I am the only person in The Western World that's never had a cellphone! Yet, I realise that this move HAD to be made. Lowell and Ralph are working out the kinks. They will try hard to make this a "cozy" forum. Let's give them a chance.

ladyvanaye
08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Bring back the dark forum. Cant see nothing.

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm having a bitch of a problem. I can't control my mouse. I may not be back.

Doug-Morgan
08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
douglasm here....

So far, I like it. There's an e-z link to the old forum [[a mistake the DetroitYes changeover made was hiding the link) and this thing posts quickly, where as the old forum was near as slow as I walk. It'll just take some getting used to.

copley
08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I love it. So bright & clear. Most other forums that I post on are now like this.

robb_k
08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Ralph, can you please ask Lowell if he can offer us a black background [[skin) as well? The red and orange ones are also hard on the eyes. And, I hope he can also activate the avatar and signature features. Of course, I know we should first give him time to adress the problems of transferring the old members over.

Thanks for all the hard work!

FROM LONDON
08-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Getting use to it.

motown_david
08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
It's kind of strange after the old forum but I'll get used to it. Gotta move with the times even at my advanced age!

ralpht
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Robb,
Yeah, let's let the dust settle first before any fine tweaking occurs.

Ms Flo
08-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey Ralph. This site is "sweet." Smooth and fast. It's gonna get even better down the line.:cool:

1wicked
08-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey...I got a little twisted when I had to switch from 8-track to cassette...then from cassette to CD, but I had to handle newer technology or be prepared to ride with NO music. Change can be difficult....but we usually learn to embrace it.

soulster
08-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Trust me, now that we have a nice new shiny forum, we will get more members.

MadLad
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
it'll take me a while to get used to this...

sonit
08-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I like it. It's modern like the other message boards that I visit. I don't like the fact that the topics on the old forum could not be transferred to the new forum.

soulster
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I like it. It's modern like the other message boards that I visit. I don't like the fact that the topics on the old forum could not be transferred to the new forum.

Well, consider it a new start. Everyone gets a new lease. Everyone is cordial to each other, sidestepping the past. It could work...

I suppose if we really wanted to revive an old thread, each participating member could, in turn, copy and paste their posts until a thread is reconstructed. All parties would have to cooperate, of course. But, that would be too convoluted.

msjoys
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Everyone settling in now & feeling more "at home" with our new message board?

mark speck
08-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm finally in the door...I guess I'll get used to it!!

tom_moulton
08-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I miss the yellow & black

CliveR
08-06-2010, 04:17 AM
I'm not keen on the change- this 'style' seems to be the default for so many forums[[fora?) and lacks the distinction of the old place, plus I had to re-register for various reasons. I'm here now - will see how it goes!

motownmorph1
08-06-2010, 04:24 AM
yes, I would agree with Clive, this new layout is very simlar to a couple of other UK based soul forums!

morph

ollie
08-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I liked the black backround very much, but will get used to this new layout quickly.
Thanks to Lowell & Ralph for giving me the key to the house.
This is the only place in the virtual world that i like to visit.[/SIZE]

dew002
08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm BACK! Could not access with my old phone. [[PC retired @ GM when I did)
I now access via Verizon LG Env Touch.
Stay tuned and thnx for the upgrade.
Dew

underdog
08-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but can someone explain to me the meaning of the colour coded envelopes [[red, blue & grey) on the threads?

Also, on the old forum, I could tell at a glance from the threads titles which ones I'd read [[they became shaded dark) from the ones I didn't read [[they stayed blue) - If a title became blue again I knew someone had posted to it - is there anything similar in place on the new forum, which i've missed?

Lowell
08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
If you scroll to the bottom of the thread list you will find this which will answer your question.

Because this forum is database driven it personalizes the thread list for you.

Lowell
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Soon come...

The new forum software allows us to create different 'skins'.

Right now we do not have time to make any as our hands are overflowing with support issues of password recovery and getting all the members back. However someday we will make a classic 'old school' skin to mimic the old forum look.

You are able to chose a skin of you liking by using the Quick Style Chooser that is at the bottom of every page. We have a few trial ones there just to give you the feel of what is possible.

underdog
08-06-2010, 12:01 PM
thanks Lowell - I hadn't noticed those.

One more question - on the old forum, I was automatically logged in each time I entered it - now i'm having to manually log in each time, even if I don't log out before closing the webpage. Is there a facility to stay logged in? thanks.

ladymystique
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Lovin' it!!!:D

glenn_s
08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I like it. A lot of people don't like change. It is faster.

144man
08-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I had no problem logging in on my cousin's computer on Wednesday, but took a few attempts on my sister's computer today.

soulster
08-06-2010, 08:03 PM
thanks Lowell - I hadn't noticed those.

One more question - on the old forum, I was automatically logged in each time I entered it - now i'm having to manually log in each time, even if I don't log out before closing the webpage. Is there a facility to stay logged in? thanks.

What browser are you using, and how do you, or it, handle cookies?

ralpht
08-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Underdog,
If you check the "remember me" box, when logging in, you will always be ready to go.

soulster
08-07-2010, 01:05 AM
I remember on the old forum, it seemed like you could go all day without anyone online, or posting. Now, if you look at the stats, it seems that there's always someone in here, and way more activity. That could also be because this is a new place, but I think it's because this place is easier to get around in, and has more to offer.

BTW, people, the mods have a LOT of tools! Watch out!

the_classic_master
08-07-2010, 09:01 AM
i think i got it, FINALLY!

imnokid
08-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I thought I had posted my preference for the old format, but I don't see it.
Also, now you need to remember that at the bottom of the page, it tells you if there are more pages.

theboyfromxtown
08-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Tom-Would it help to start keeping a beehive? LOL

Meanwhile you could always tell us a bit more about this which I am eagerly waiting for

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philly-Re-Grooved-Moulton-Groove-Remixes/dp/B003VW3CM2

BTW, loved GG's "Experience" CD. EXCELLENT. "Never Can Say Goodbye" next and I know I got them out of order but that album was just too good.

I'd LOVE for you to do something on First Choice if it ever becomes a possibility...notably "The Player" album.

moe
08-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't know......there are some nice things [[like the quick reply) and the "friends" [[which I have no idea how to do it). I still feel like I need some of Jai's hooch & sit in remediation to figure this whole thing out.

juicefree20
08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm telling you, you've just gotta love the features that Lowell has added to SDF.

A forum such as this deserves to be as modern as every other forum out there is & Lowell has sure pulled out all of the stops here! The horespower under this hood allows us to do things that we may have dreamed of, but simply weren't able to do due to the restrictions of the "old" forum. Just uploading pictures alone is a huge leap forward. Previously, I had to go through all sorts of steps to post pictures & getting decent quality pictures here, due to the 50 kb limitation. Now, all I have to do is batch resize the pictures ONCE & they're ready to go.

That alone saves me a whole lot of time & I sure appreciate that!

I've been busy & haven't had a chance to really jump in here. But, from what I've checked out so far, I have absolutely ZERO complaints about this new set-up. And as Dyva said, once Lowell, Lobo & Ralph have the opportunity to catch their collective breaths [[I know it's been no picnic trying to get everyone straightened out here), once they hook up that "old school" skin, it's going to be great. We'll feel like we've been given a brand new pair of PF Flyers & we'll be able to "run faster & jump higher" around here.

Signed,

Juice...loving the possibilities of this brand spanking new forum :)

dplain
08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
These are great changes. I think the improvements will outweigh the old look with a little more time. I meant to say SD in title

soulster
08-08-2010, 08:21 PM
That's right, Juice! All everyone has to do is nose around at the features. This modern software is foreign to a lot of the membership, so that's why Lowell provided the sandbox. The ability to upload images and create graphic polls is worth it. We can report offensive or abusive posts, quote, add videos, adjust fonts and colors, and when Lowell gets around to it, add personal avatars from either websites or our hard drives. We can personalize everything. And, if someone really bugs the piss out of you, add them to your ignore list, and you'll never have to see their posts again. I still wish it was like the old Sound Forge forum where you could 100% wipe out the existence of anyone totally and completely. Even quotes by that member are erased. You don't see their name anywhere!

Da Bulgarian
08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I like it. Much,Much faster......

nomis
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I dont know what Im doing with this new fangle technology.I hope I get the hang of this my life wouldnt be the same without SDF...Im getting old...I dont want to lose my friends on here...

juicefree20
08-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Nomis:

Trust me, once you get the hang & feel of the new setup, you'll be wondering how we ever did without it :)

nomis
08-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks Juice Im getting to grips with it,Thanks for replying,I needed that brother.

juicefree20
08-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Nomis:

Anytime at all brother, I know how you feel. One of my traits has long been hating change. I like the comfort of the expected. But with this, give yourself a month of getting used to this & you may just find yourself doing things here that you'd never thought of before.

This is a wonderful thing & once that old school skin becomes available, look out :)