PDA

View Full Version : Arif Mardin's production style

test

soulster
01-03-2016, 02:43 AM
I'm Every Woman - Chaka Khan

I don't care much about the lyrical content, but, man what a powerful recording! Ashford & Simpson wrote it, Arif Mardin produced it, and Lew Hahn recorded it. Everything about this recording is stellar, and every time I play it, I have to play it twice more! I love dense, lush instrumentation and mixes, and love the way Arif Mardin's productions simmer until the full boil near the end.

Fanny [[Be Tender With My Love) - Bee Gees

He did the same with the Bee Gees "Fanny [[Be Tender With My Love)", another recording I can't get enough of. I really dig the way he used minor chords on the strings during the ad-lib when he let the singers cut loose. It brought out the drama in the song. he did the same with Chaka Khan's hit that I mentioned above.

Queen Of My Soul - Average White Band

The production and arrangement he did on The Average White Band's song "Queen Of My Soul" is another great example of the kind of "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" production I loved about his work.

Until You Come Back To Me [[That's What I'm Gonna Do) - Aretha Franklin

On Aretha Franklin's "Until You Come Back To Me [[That's What I'm Gonna Do)", he was more subdued, but the signature dynamics were all there.

I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore - The [[Young) Rascals

Even with "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" by The [[Young) Rascals, his signature production and was all over it. needless to say that is yet another one of my all-time favorite songs.

Man, I would have loved to sit down and talk to the guy. Sadly, he has passed, but his work lives on. I always wondered if he ever realized just how much his work is appreciated, and how expertly and lovingly he crafted the sound of so many R&B artists.

After Chaka Khan's 1986 album "Destiny", I lost track of what he was doing, and never paid much attention to his work with Norah Jones.

Could you imagine what an album he could have done if he had collaborated with Ashford & Simpson, the artists who seem to have shared the same production qualities he did.