PDA

View Full Version : Natalie cole's "inseparable"

test

funkyone71
01-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Happy new year's everyone! Wishing everyone a blessed and prosperous 2016.

Natalie Cole is one of my all time favorite singers and her passing shocked me. I was only 4 when "This Will Be" came out and when I heard it played constantly on NYC's WBLS, I was a Natalie fan for life.

Below is an article I wrote last summer spotlighting Ms. Cole's first solo album "Inseparable." This is one of my all time favorite albums. I remember my teenage uncle playing this in his bedroom as my older brother and I listened. Natalie's music is timeless and will outlast the music of some of these current so-called divas. Rest in peace Natalie!

http://soultrain.com/2015/08/03/classic-soul-album-spotlight-natalie-coles-inseparable/

arr&bee
01-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Perhaps her greatest tune,just beautiful and sincere,one of my musical regrets is that i never saw natalie perform in person but i have many of her albums and will always be in awe of her talent and the wonderful music legacy she left us all.

soulster
01-03-2016, 01:46 AM
Natalie Cole is one of my all time favorite singers and her passing shocked me. I was only 4 when "This Will Be" came out and when I heard it played constantly on NYC's WBLS, I was a Natalie fan for life.

When "This Will Be" came out when I was 12 years old, I thought she was gonna be a jazz artist. I don't really remember where I first heard it, but it was likely on Soul Train, where I heard most R&B that didn't hit the pop chart in 1975. I bought the 45, and probably played "Joey" more than the hit side. Years later, I was surprised to know that "Joey" is a really popular album cut. I didn't hear much of the song "Inseparable", the second single off that album, though. What solidified me as a fan is when I went to Texas to visit my sister and her family the next summer, and she had just bought the second album "Natalie". I didn't much care for "Sophisticated Lady", the then current single, but liked "Can We Get Together Again", another track that radio played a lot of. Black radio didn't play "Mr. Melody", the second single, but was surprised to find that it became a pop hit later that summer, probably because of its similarity to the style of "This Will Be". However, I don't think people much cared about her being the daughter of Nat King Cole at that point. She had made her own name.

I loved "I've Got Love On My Mind", and it is my favorite single by her. I played the hell out of it in the spring of 1977.

Looking at her discography on Wiki, it seems I am missing a lot of her albums after 1980. I didn't much care for the album she did with Peabo Bryson at the time, but i'll have to revisit it again.