PDA

View Full Version : Chess/brunswick records

test

CHICAGOSOULMAN
01-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Question, the Kittens recording of "How Long [[Can I Go On)" b/w "I've Got to Get Over You" was released on Chess 2055 in 1968. However, both sides were arranged by Willie Henderson, produced by Gerald Sims and published with Jalynne Corp. [[co-owned by Carl Davis). A previous release Chess 2027 in 1967. "Ain't No More Room" b/w "Hey Operator" listed similar information. These were their only Chess releases and they appear to be Chess artists. I see no other connection with Brunswick before or after these releases. The question is Why? Gene Chandler had four Carl Davis produced singles released on Cadet between 1966 and 1968. During this time period, Gene also released singles on Brunswick and they were alternated to avoid competition.This was due to him being technically being signed to both Chess and Brunswick at the same time. Any feedback on the Kittens situation. Thanks and Happy New Years to all. Chicago Soul Man.

soulster
01-02-2016, 03:58 AM
Question, the Kittens recording of "How Long [[Can I Go On)" b/w "I've Got to Get Over You" was released on Chess 2055 in 1968. However, both sides were arranged by Willie Henderson, produced by Gerald Sims and published with Jalynne Corp. [[co-owned by Carl Davis). A previous release Chess 2027 in 1967. "Ain't No More Room" b/w "Hey Operator" listed similar information. These were their only Chess releases and they appear to be Chess artists. I see no other connection with Brunswick before or after these releases. The question is Why? Gene Chandler had four Carl Davis produced singles released on Cadet between 1966 and 1968. During this time period, Gene also released singles on Brunswick and they were alternated to avoid competition.This was due to him being technically being signed to both Chess and Brunswick at the same time. Any feedback on the Kittens situation. Thanks and Happy New Years to all. Chicago Soul Man.

The Chess and Brunswick labels were not related in any way. That connection, however, no doubt came from Carl Davis, who was a top executive as Brunswick in the mid-late 60s and 70s.

robb_k
01-02-2016, 04:10 AM
The Kittens had no connection to Brunswick. Carl Davis was an independent producer who produced for Lasgal Productions, VJ, Constellation, Columbia, Okeh, ATCO, Brunswick and Chess [[and probably more companies later - I didn't pay attention to new music after 1970). He had other artist's productions leased to Chess, including Fred Hughes and others, in addition to Chandler and The Kittens. I don't believe he had an exclusive contract EVEN with Columbia/Okeh, despite allegedly being fired by them for his "moonlighting" with Constellation with Gene Chandler, and with ATCO with Mary Wells. I'm positive he didn't have an exclusive contract with Brunswick while he also worked with Chess.

Joe Hunter was producing with Mickay's and Ring Records while working at Motown, and even placed one of his productions with New York's Sue [[Crackerjack) Records. But unlike The remaining Funk Brothers, he didn't sign an exclusive contract with Motown

CHICAGOSOULMAN
01-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Ok, just thought it was strange that Leonard Chess would give up the publishing rights. He wouldn't do it for Curtis Mayfield with Jan Bradley. Of course none of the Kittens' Chess releases made a lot of noise. Thanks.

robb_k
01-03-2016, 03:02 AM
Ok, just thought it was strange that Leonard Chess would give up the publishing rights. He wouldn't do it for Curtis Mayfield with Jan Bradley. Of course none of the Kittens' Chess releases made a lot of noise. Thanks.
Every deal was individual. On "Mama Didn't Lie", the only publishing listed was "Curtom". Chess didn't even share it, as they had on many of their other leased productions/records. Same with Jan Bradley's productions by Don Talty [[they list Jan-Jo Music [[Talty and Jan Bradley's partnership). Chevis Music [[which, incidentally, was half to Chess and half to Billy Davis, was not even co-publisher).

I think you got music publishing rights confused with producer credits and ultimate rights to release recordings, and possession of master tapes. Most often, in lease deals, the leasing record label only has rights to issue the leased recordings for a limited time [[one, two or three years, or five years). In the situation of "Mama Didn't Lie", I think Chess kept the masters, and rights to release it in perpetuity.