PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Motown let Mary have the Suoremes name?

test

luke
12-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Martha got the Vandellas. Otis etc got the Tempatations name. Miracles etc. why was Mary treated so differently ? Many artists sued Motown so that can't be the reason. Berry has expressed respect and admiration for her so what gives?

midnightman
12-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Mary, I feel, didn't wanna go through a long drawn out battle over getting the Supremes' name. I think she wanted to leave Motown in 1977 but they gave her a solo deal and then let her go as a compromise and maybe that's what happened? I don't know... but I wished she had fought for her name like the others had... it's crazy how the most successful vocal group in Motown had issues with Motown over ownership of the name. But I wonder if there is more to this story...

marv2
12-31-2015, 06:46 PM
Martha got the Vandellas. Otis etc got the Tempatations name. Miracles etc. why was Mary treated so differently ? Many artists sued Motown so that can't be the reason. Berry has expressed respect and admiration for her so what gives?

She would have had too much power. The name "The Supremes" is very valuable and in the hands of an authentic, original founding member, she would have had a lot of power to use it to make all types of money. Think merchandising alone...........

marv2
12-31-2015, 06:55 PM
Mary, I feel, didn't wanna go through a long drawn out battle over getting the Supremes' name. I think she wanted to leave Motown in 1977 but they gave her a solo deal and then let her go as a compromise and maybe that's what happened? I don't know... but I wished she had fought for her name like the others had... it's crazy how the most successful vocal group in Motown had issues with Motown over ownership of the name. But I wonder if there is more to this story...

There is always more to the story.....................hehehehehehehehe!

luke
12-31-2015, 07:26 PM
Mary has said after fighting for years she gave up after spending over a million dollars. Please explain what merchandising? I'm not clear on that. Yes I'm sure there's much more to it than what we know.

marv2
12-31-2015, 07:40 PM
Mary has said after fighting for years she gave up after spending over a million dollars. Please explain what merchandising? I'm not clear on that. Yes I'm sure there's much more to it than what we know.

No, try MILLONS of dollars. When I mentioned merchandising. Remember when they had their Supremes line of wigs? Remember when she licensed that famous drawing from Joe Eula and put out a line of souvenir type merchandise. She could have done everything from that to opening "Supremes Charm Schools" all over the place LOL!

luke
12-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Lol. Love it. Like patties pies. Supreme Sautée Sensations!

marv2
12-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Lol. Love it. Like patties pies. Supreme Sautée Sensations!

Exactly! hehehehehehehehehe!