PDA

View Full Version : Cindy's tenure working at Motown and Ms DePasse

test

luke
12-31-2015, 12:44 AM
Don't know much about this...does anyone? I read she worked there for awhile ...for DePasse? How long? It was said she was treated badly. And Cindy introduced her to BG! I also remember reading Suzanne said in an interview anything she had Cindy could have and Cindy cracked to someone yea except Diana's phone# which she asked for from DePasse and wasn't given when Cindy was stranded in London .Hard to believe they would treat such a nice and decent woman like this.

marv2
12-31-2015, 12:48 AM
Don't know much about this...does anyone? I read she worked there for awhile ...for DePasse? How long? It was said she was treated badly. And Cindy introduced her to BG! I also remember reading Suzanne said in an interview anything she had Cindy could have and Cindy cracked to someone yea except Diana's phone# which she asked for from DePasse and wasn't given when Cindy was stranded in London .Hard to believe they would treat such a nice and decent woman like this.

You're talking about Suzanne DePasse? Yeah I can believe she would treat Cindy Birdsong like that.

REDHOT
12-31-2015, 06:18 AM
Suzanne DePasse is not a nice person,i'v seen her in action,she should have been very to Cindy Birdsong.also Suzanne didn't get alone with Mary Wilson.

ralpht
12-31-2015, 08:43 AM
I have my own issues with her.

marv2
12-31-2015, 10:09 AM
I have my own issues with her.

She never cared about any of us from Detroit. She made her career off the backs of people like you Ralph! The unsung Motown Detroit people.

marv2
12-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Suzanne DePasse is not a nice person,i'v seen her in action,she should have been very to Cindy Birdsong.also Suzanne didn't get alone with Mary Wilson.

She never tried to do anything for Mary Wilson. She encouraged the dropping of the Supremes from Motown.

midnightman
12-31-2015, 12:29 PM
I saw her on the Diana Ross documentary on YouTube... she looked like hell froze over. Guess defending your shady practices makes you look like Jabba the Hut... I'm just saying.

Bluebrock
12-31-2015, 02:22 PM
I have never had the "pleasure" of meeting this woman but i know people who have had that misfortune and the stories are enough to turn fresh milk sour. Doesn't sound like anyone has a good word for her, or at least not a word we should be repeating here!!

marv2
12-31-2015, 04:19 PM
I saw her on the Diana Ross documentary on YouTube... she looked like hell froze over. Guess defending your shady practices makes you look like Jabba the Hut... I'm just saying.

During the promotion for the "Motown 25" DVD, she actually tried to lie and cover up the incident between Mary and Diana during the taping.....Geez! LOL!

marv2
12-31-2015, 04:20 PM
I have never had the "pleasure" of meeting this woman but i know people who have had that misfortune and the stories are enough to turn fresh milk sour. Doesn't sound like anyone has a good word for her, or at least not a word we should be repeating here!!

I do not believe Mrs Edwards cared for her either. I don't think she ever visited the Motown Museum.

midnightman
12-31-2015, 05:32 PM
During the promotion for the "Motown 25" DVD, she actually tried to lie and cover up the incident between Mary and Diana during the taping.....Geez! LOL!

Suzanne could never keep her stories straight anyway so I'm not surprised she keeps going back and forth about what happened on that fateful night in March 1983 between Mary and "Miss Cute" as Gladys called Diana lol

marv2
12-31-2015, 06:01 PM
Suzanne could never keep her stories straight anyway so I'm not surprised she keeps going back and forth about what happened on that fateful night in March 1983 between Mary and "Miss Cute" as Gladys called Diana lol

To me, she was always bad news on two legs....................

Jimi LaLumia
12-31-2015, 06:07 PM
if what happened wasn't so bad, Ms.DePasse, then show us the edited portion..let's go to the video tape!..I mean, top government secrets leak out on line and people's high level personal information winds up on line, but NO ONE has been able to 'leak' this legendary footage?

luke
12-31-2015, 06:09 PM
If nothing happened at Motown 25 why did Ms dePasse ban Mary Wilson from future shows which resulted in Lily tomlinrefusing to appear on a Motown show ?? And Cindy Birdsong certainly deserved much more respect. I hope these people are helping her!

midnightman
12-31-2015, 06:19 PM
To me, she was always bad news on two legs....................

And she helped to perpetuate the Jackson 5 discovery myth...

marv2
01-01-2016, 07:26 PM
And she helped to perpetuate the Jackson 5 discovery myth...

She sure did and did it with a straight face. She is shameless.

marv2
01-01-2016, 07:28 PM
If nothing happened at Motown 25 why did Ms dePasse ban Mary Wilson from future shows which resulted in Lily tomlinrefusing to appear on a Motown show ?? And Cindy Birdsong certainly deserved much more respect. I hope these people are helping her!

Great point Luke! The woman can't keep her lies straight. How is she going to ban Mary Wilson Original Supreme from any Motown shows? Mary appeared on every Motown Anniversary Show except the one on CBS in 1990 when most of the Motown Artists were excluded or did not appear by choice. Whoopi Goldberg hosted that show and made sure to mention Mary Wilson early on in the program. That incident with Lily Tomlin happened during the weekly "Motown Show" hosted by Smokey. Mary and her ex husband attended the main fund raiser for Cindy Birdsong. Scherrie Payne and Berry Gordy were there too. Diana Ross and Suzanne DePasse were no shows!

midnightman
01-01-2016, 09:19 PM
^ And Gladys was on the 1990 one but sang, I think, "Wind Beneath My Wings"/"Hero" lol

luke
01-01-2016, 10:01 PM
What goes around comes around Marv!

marv2
01-01-2016, 10:25 PM
if what happened wasn't so bad, Ms.DePasse, then show us the edited portion..let's go to the video tape!..I mean, top government secrets leak out on line and people's high level personal information winds up on line, but NO ONE has been able to 'leak' this legendary footage?

You see Jimi, that is what I'm saying! If it didn't happened and it did not look bad, then why did she have it cut out? People can poke holes through Suzanne DePasse' lies all day long! She treated many of artists like shit.

marv2
01-01-2016, 10:28 PM
^ And Gladys was on the 1990 one but sang, I think, "Wind Beneath My Wings"/"Hero" lol

I remember. I videotaped that show. She and Smokey did a nice little tribute to Mary Wells that night, but overall it seemed like just your general variety show with Motown's name used like a sponsor. Oh yeah, Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence performed that evening during the taping but there segment was edited out of the broadcast! What was up with that?

marv2
01-01-2016, 10:29 PM
What goes around comes around Marv!

True, so true brother!

captainjames
01-01-2016, 11:56 PM
I honestly do not know Ms. DePasse that well but, what I can say I have never heard a Motown artist really criticize her work. What I do hear is a lot of hear say.

marv2
01-02-2016, 12:24 AM
I honestly do not know Ms. DePasse that well but, what I can say I have never heard a Motown artist really criticize her work. What I do hear is a lot of hear say.

You need to get around more.

midnightman
01-02-2016, 12:40 AM
I remember. I videotaped that show. She and Smokey did a nice little tribute to Mary Wells that night, but overall it seemed like just your general variety show with Motown's name used like a sponsor. Oh yeah, Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence performed that evening during the taping but there segment was edited out of the broadcast! What was up with that?

Wow, that was a mess they edited out Jean, Scherrie & Lynda like that.

captainjames
01-02-2016, 05:04 PM
However, didn't DePasse win a 1983 Emmy for the retrospective, Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever and didn't she earned yet another Emmy in 1985 for Motown Returns to the Apollo ?

captainjames
01-02-2016, 05:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1qiSHOB6Ik

marv2
01-02-2016, 05:21 PM
However, didn't DePasse win a 1983 Emmy for the retrospective, Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever and didn't she earned yet another Emmy in 1985 for Motown Returns to the Apollo ?

That does not make me respect her as a person.

midnightman
01-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Yeah, what does an Emmy win have to do with anything? Lol

If it hadn't been a certain dude wearing a single glove performing that night, that special wouldn't have won it, I tell you that much.

sup_fan
01-02-2016, 07:14 PM
i've read just about all of the motown books out there. there was definitely a "trend" in the 80s for more sensational retelling of history. look no further than Call Her Miss Ross vs Randy's most recent Diana bio. a lot of stories that are continually bantered around seem to have originated during this time. whether it's just the passing of years that makes these stories mellow out or perhaps a more middle-of-the-road revision of history today, i don't know

of course i was not in any corporate meetings with Suzanne, never met the woman, don't know what she did or didn't do.

i have been in infinite OTHER corporate meetings, situations, mergers, 9/11 working in the airline industry, etc. there's shady shit everywhere! Gordy and de Passe most certainly have not cornered there market on that. also i wonder if she takes twice the knocks for being forceful and making unpopular decisions because she's a woman

captainjames
01-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Sup Fan
You are probably right and it is definitely a factor unless otherwise proven. Facts not opinions is what I base my decisions on and we all know that everyone has an opinion.

i've read just about all of the motown books out there. there was definitely a "trend" in the 80s for more sensational retelling of history. look no further than Call Her Miss Ross vs Randy's most recent Diana bio. a lot of stories that are continually bantered around seem to have originated during this time. whether it's just the passing of years that makes these stories mellow out or perhaps a more middle-of-the-road revision of history today, i don't know

of course i was not in any corporate meetings with Suzanne, never met the woman, don't know what she did or didn't do.

i have been in infinite OTHER corporate meetings, situations, mergers, 9/11 working in the airline industry, etc. there's shady shit everywhere! Gordy and de Passe most certainly have not cornered there market on that. also i wonder if she takes twice the knocks for being forceful and making unpopular decisions because she's a woman

marv2
01-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Ok, what kind of woman, would get on her knees in front of a conference room full of people and crawl over to Berry Gordy because he told her to do it! It doesn't matter that she's a woman. Women can be assholes too believe it or not!

marv2
01-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Sup Fan
You are probably right and it is definitely a factor unless otherwise proven. Facts not opinions is what I base my decisions on and we all know that everyone has an opinion.

No, it sounds like to me that you base a person's worth as a human being on man-made awards..........

captainjames
01-03-2016, 12:40 AM
Wasn't Ms. DePasse also responsible for signing the Commodores ? nominated for an Academy Award for co-writing the Motown-produced film Lady Sings the Blues ? Promoted to vice president of Motown Industries ? Named president of Motown Productions ? Motown company grew from $12 million in 1980 to $65 million in 1989 under her helm ? Produced Motown 30: What's Goin' On ? Produced the five-hour miniseries The Jacksons: An American Dream [[1992)? Won a 1989 Essence Award, and was inducted into the Black Filmmaker's Hall of Fame in 1990 ? Etc. Etc. Can someone tell me where it is written historically that she is regarded as anything different and please the personal stuff I can relate but don't mean anything because if we got personal I could say what I felt about a lot of things as well.
In other words keep it real.

marv2
01-03-2016, 02:09 AM
Wasn't Ms. DePasse also responsible for signing the Commodores ? nominated for an Academy Award for co-writing the Motown-produced film Lady Sings the Blues ? Promoted to vice president of Motown Industries ? Named president of Motown Productions ? Motown company grew from $12 million in 1980 to $65 million in 1989 under her helm ? Produced Motown 30: What's Goin' On ? Produced the five-hour miniseries The Jacksons: An American Dream [[1992)? Won a 1989 Essence Award, and was inducted into the Black Filmmaker's Hall of Fame in 1990 ? Etc. Etc. Can someone tell me where it is written historically that she is regarded as anything different and please the personal stuff I can relate but don't mean anything because if we got personal I could say what I felt about a lot of things as well.
In other words keep it real.

Susan Coston produced Motown 30. Motown was sold in 1988. All the other things you mention says nothing about her personal integrity or her character.

midnightman
01-03-2016, 03:41 AM
Suzanne has done some amazing things... but she has done some foul things as well.

marv2
01-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Suzanne has done some amazing things... but she has done some foul things as well.

She was not a team player and had no use for "the Motown Family" concept!

marv2
01-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Thank God Berry Gordy survived and did not feel the way Suzanne DePasse felt.

sup_fan
01-03-2016, 12:02 PM
i don't really know if the story of some female admin being made to crawl on her knees at a Motown corporate meeting is true or not. Randy included it in Miss Ross and then there's no mention of it in the newer Ross bio. was it because it was speculation or embellished to make a more sensational story for CHMR? was it because it wasn't really an issue of concern for the newer book? i have no idea. but it's not in the new book. so i think we should keep this in mind with some other stories that have circulated. there was one about Berry trying to sleep with Jean, one of Mary snorting coke with Sammy Davis Jr bare breasted. who knows which is absolutely truth, which is the product of speculation and which are lies

antceleb12
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Frankly I have to reiterate captainjames' question: Suzanne is responsible for some major accomplishments, and that is well-documented. What is not well-documented, and what is muddily being discussed here is Suzanne's "shady" dealings. I'm not saying she is or is not a very nice person - I've never met her, so it is not for me to judge. What I am saying, and what I am asking, is what are the facts? So far all I'm seeing is "I heard she did this" and "she seems to be this" or "she's not a very nice person." This is all fine and dandy on your own personal opinion, but it is all anecdotal. Where are the facts?

The point is that we should be discussing events, not the questionable judgment of someone's character that cannot be accurately [[or fairly) verified. This seems to me like its bordering on the side of speaking ill against other people, such as those done on to the Supremes we are trying to clean up. If we are questioning her character based off of solid, grounded evidence, that's one thing. But this all seems to be wishy-washy gossip that remains unsubstantiated.

marv2
01-03-2016, 12:53 PM
i don't really know if the story of some female admin being made to crawl on her knees at a Motown corporate meeting is true or not. Randy included it in Miss Ross and then there's no mention of it in the newer Ross bio. was it because it was speculation or embellished to make a more sensational story for CHMR? was it because it wasn't really an issue of concern for the newer book? i have no idea. but it's not in the new book. so i think we should keep this in mind with some other stories that have circulated. there was one about Berry trying to sleep with Jean, one of Mary snorting coke with Sammy Davis Jr bare breasted. who knows which is absolutely truth, which is the product of speculation and which are lies

It is true because Suzanne would have sued him. She got the book hot off the presses trust me!

marv2
01-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Frankly I have to reiterate captainjames' question: Suzanne is responsible for some major accomplishments, and that is well-documented. What is not well-documented, and what is muddily being discussed here is Suzanne's "shady" dealings. I'm not saying she is or is not a very nice person - I've never met her, so it is not for me to judge. What I am saying, and what I am asking, is what are the facts? So far all I'm seeing is "I heard she did this" and "she seems to be this" or "she's not a very nice person." This is all fine and dandy on your own personal opinion, but it is all anecdotal. Where are the facts?

The point is that we should be discussing events, not the questionable judgment of someone's character that cannot be accurately [[or fairly) verified. This seems to me like its bordering on the side of speaking ill against other people, such as those done on to the Supremes we are trying to clean up. If we are questioning her character based off of solid, grounded evidence, that's one thing. But this all seems to be wishy-washy gossip that remains unsubstantiated.

Here's a fact. She edited parts of the Supremes reunion from "Motown 25" but years later said that the "incident" between Ross and Wilson was nothing like what's been reported and it was not an issue at all. Then, why edit it out of the show?

captainjames
01-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks, finally a voice of reason...............
All these things about Motown 25 again in 2016 will open up hearsay and opinions on what some Motown stars were instructed to do and went against instructions. Sounds to me like the war was started before many of us knew it existed unless you were privileged to actually be there [[thank you very much) and see it first hand. At any rate from the one in the red dress ...."Its Time To Move On."
Happy New Year.

marv2
01-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks, finally a voice of reason...............
All these things about Motown 25 again in 2016 will open up hearsay and opinions on what some Motown stars were instructed to do and went against instructions. Sounds to me like the war was started before many of us knew it existed unless you were privileged to actually be there [[thank you very much) and see it first hand. At any rate from the one in the red dress ...."Its Time To Move On."
Happy New Year.

But see were not stupid and we're not buying it. Right after the taping of Motown 25 in March of 1983, scores of Motown Artists that were present and those not invited began to tell their stories of mistreatment by Ms. DePasse. We have known for decades that she is an asshole. Being an accomplished asshole doesn't meant squat to me...............

luke
01-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Exactly. And read Nelson George's book for detail from a well respected writer. Not opinion and heresay. He reported exactly what happened on stage at M25. This is what history is all about.

marv2
01-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Exactly. And read Nelson George's book for detail from a well respected writer. Not opinion and heresay. He reported exactly what happened on stage at M25. This is what history is all about.

They're not interested in history. They are interested in protecting those they "like"!

luke
01-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Good point. Silly me. But at least his words can't be wiped out..no one who attended will ever forget what they saw!

antceleb12
01-03-2016, 04:17 PM
They're not interested in history. They are interested in protecting those they "like"!

Cool it, Marv. That is not at all what has been said. The reason I question the authenticity of some of these claims is the overwhelmingly subjective disdain for her far outweighs any stated facts. That is not history.

If the book states what happens, fine. If it states the reason for which she chose to hide it, then that's cause for questioning her decisions.

You may be aware that she's - as you say - an "a**hole," but that is not the case for all of us. The only thing I have read thus far that is cause for disliking her decisions is the Motown 25 incident. Otherwise, I need more damning evidence to convince me she's such a terrible person.

I will also add that Diana, Mary, Aretha, David Ruffin, Barbra Streisand...everyone has been the subject of accusations of being divas, temperamental, what have you. Anecdotal stories are speculative and not proof of a person's character.

ralpht
01-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Anteceleb,
Your point is taken, and in the spirit of the SD forum all opinions are welcomed. However, in all honesty, I can speak for those that may have, or sense, issues regarding Ms. DePasse. In my humble opinion the woman may have accomplished a few things, but she sure didn't do this on her own. Trust me. the girl is a player. But, again, this is my opinion.
Thanks to all for an interesting thread. We may be getting close to leaving it be though.

marv2
01-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Ok I am done. My mind is made up anyway! Thanks.

captainjames
01-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks Ralph and thanks Anteceleb

Anteceleb,
Your point is taken, and in the spirit of the SD forum all opinions are welcomed. However, in all honesty, I can speak for those that may have, or sense, issues regarding Ms. DePasse. In my humble opinion the woman may have accomplished a few things, but she sure didn't do this on her own. Trust me. the girl is a player. But, again, this is my opinion.
Thanks to all for an interesting thread. We may be getting close to leaving it be though.