PDA

View Full Version : GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - I Heard It Through the Grapevine [[1970)

test

midnightman
12-30-2015, 04:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVfx5xGiVds

Sharpmoves
12-30-2015, 08:32 AM
Wow! An object lesson in performance skills, working an audience, performing in an unlikely and restricted space, very close to the audience. And, in charm, movement, personality, projection and sheer soul, this is unbeatable. They were definitely singing live, but perhaps to a pre-recorded backing track? Or maybe the band were behind the camera? Whatever, that hospital ward were truly privileged to witness this, and thank goodness it was captured on film. Wonderful posting midnightman, thank you so very much for sharing it. Happy New Year!

johnny_raven
12-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Wasn't this filmed for The Ed Sullivan Show?

Bluebrock
12-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Wasn't this filmed for The Ed Sullivan Show?
Yes i do believe it was. It was repeated here in the UK a few years ago.

edafan
12-30-2015, 01:45 PM
wonderful

edafan

midnightman
12-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Yeah I was amazed that they were able to still give it off a world scale performance in that small hospital room... and I was actually about to ask where did they film this. It could've been possibly Sullivan... I notice GK&TPs were on there a lot [[not compared to that OTHER GROUP but still :D ).

marv2
12-30-2015, 02:56 PM
I wished I could find a clip of when Gladys Knight & the Pips performed Grapevine for the troops in Vietnam. I remember watching it [[back in 1968 I believe) when they were a part of one of Bob Hope's Tours. It one of earliest memories of seeing the group on TV.

marv2
12-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Yeah I was amazed that they were able to still give it off a world scale performance in that small hospital room... and I was actually about to ask where did they film this. It could've been possibly Sullivan... I notice GK&TPs were on there a lot [[not compared to that OTHER GROUP but still :D ).

That was on the Ed Sullivan Show. The Four Tops and Freda Payne also performed at that hospital.

midnightman
12-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks, marv. I did think it was probably related to the Vietnam War effort... they were probably on a Bob Hope benefit concert along with the Four Tops and Freda. Makes sense.

marv2
12-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks, marv. I did think it was probably related to the Vietnam War effort... they were probably on a Bob Hope benefit concert along with the Four Tops and Freda. Makes sense.

You are welcome Midnightman, but but the shows you see in these clips were not a part of Bob Hope's tours. These were filmed specifically for the Ed Sullivan Show and were recorded at a military hospital in either Maryland or Virginia. I use to know the exact name of that hospital. The Bob Hope Show tours of Vietnam were done out in the field on location in Vietnam and were not this smooth looking. They were rather rough, having helicopters flying overhead while the singers were performing, roughed up military guys sitting on the group watching the show in uniform, etc,etc. I was going to mention "China Beach" style if you remember that program?

midnightman
12-30-2015, 05:11 PM
^ I saw some of it as a child. My brother used to watch that show lol [[that's when I started to hear some of the Motown songs like "Reflections").

And yeah it does look like it's filmed at some nice hospital in the states. James Brown had horror stories of having his plane shot at during the middle of the war.

marv2
12-30-2015, 05:26 PM
^ I saw some of it as a child. My brother used to watch that show lol [[that's when I started to hear some of the Motown songs like "Reflections").

And yeah it does look like it's filmed at some nice hospital in the states. James Brown had horror stories of having his plane shot at during the middle of the war.

What do you mean you saw some of the show China Beach as a child? Are you trying to hurt my feelings and make me feel REAL old?
LOL!!!!!!!

midnightman
12-30-2015, 10:00 PM
^ Haha well you do know I'm a kid. ;) No I'm not trying to make you feel old, the other way around. Trying to make you forever young. :D

marv2
12-30-2015, 11:08 PM
^ Haha well you do know I'm a kid. ;) No I'm not trying to make you feel old, the other way around. Trying to make you forever young. :D

Well.......Ok then.

Bluebrock
12-31-2015, 02:41 PM
That was on the Ed Sullivan Show. The Four Tops and Freda Payne also performed at that hospital.
When this was shown in the UK a few years ago there was no mention of Freda Payne. They showed Gladys and the Pips and the Four Tops but there was no mention of Freda. I can only presume there was some problem with overseas rights? I am disappointed not to have seen Freda. Can anyone who originally saw it recall what she performed?