PDA

View Full Version : Aretha does it again ...for Carole King and the Obamas

test

luke
12-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Brought the house down at Kennedy Center Honors singing and playing piano for Carole's A Natural Woman . The president wiped away a tear. Carole and Aretha ..thought I had died and gone to heaven! And the Preident of the U.S and First Lady grooving in their seats. Hallelujah ! Also CeCe Wynans singing for Cicely Tyson.

marv2
12-30-2015, 02:10 AM
Brought the house down at Kennedy Center Honors singing and playing piano for Carole's A Natural Woman . The president wiped away a tear. Carole and Aretha ..thought I had died and gone to heaven! And the Preident of the U.S and First Lady grooving in their seats. Hallelujah ! Also CeCe Wynans singing for Cicely Tyson.

I missed it. Darn!

theboyfromxtown
12-30-2015, 05:20 AM
It's on Face book.........

Can you see this

https://www.facebook.com/john.lester.332/posts/906174582830498?notif_t=like

theboyfromxtown
12-30-2015, 08:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RIgeu-6Jcs

theboyfromxtown
12-30-2015, 08:59 AM
That clip needs a warning. Here it is.

Make sure you have the tissues handy

This is what I call AWESOME

glencro
12-30-2015, 11:53 AM
YES, she definitely gave a royal performance. All hail the queen!!!!

stingbeelee
12-30-2015, 12:34 PM
If there was ever a doubt that Aretha is still the 'Queen of Soul'; all those doubts were squashed last night. She told the nation that she is still the reigning Queen, 48 years after she was crowned. She told the younsters "Take note, this is how you sing a song!!" I haven't seen a performance like that on TV in quite a while. She dug deep on this one. I guess she was tired of people saying she had lost it all. She put that fu**ing crown on her head and let it rip!!!

arr&bee
12-30-2015, 01:13 PM
D-a-m-n.....all hail the queen,her rule is undisputed we are all her loyal subjects...long live queen aretha!!!!!

Mark Desjardines
12-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Last evening I almost skipped watching the Kennedy Honours sow, but by fluke at 10:45, I went back and the Carole King Tribute was in full swing, and then Aretha walked on stage and sat down at the piano and proceeded to show why she is still THE Queen of Soul.

At the closing credits, Aretha along with James Taylor, Janelle Monae and Sara Bareilles all sang a Goffin/King song performed I Feel the Earth Move, and at 11:40 p.m. I did indeed feel the 4.7 earthquake which hit off Vancouver Island. Luckily NO damage, but a bit of a scare for sure. Talk about making "the earth move!"

marv2
12-30-2015, 04:21 PM
If there was ever a doubt that Aretha is still the 'Queen of Soul'; all those doubts were squashed last night. She told the nation that she is still the reigning Queen, 48 years after she was crowned. She told the younsters "Take note, this is how you sing a song!!" I haven't seen a performance like that on TV in quite a while. She dug deep on this one. I guess she was tired of people saying she had lost it all. She put that fu**ing crown on her head and let it rip!!!

So in other words, Madame put le foot in it?

marv2
12-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Last evening I almost skipped watching the Kennedy Honours sow, but by fluke at 10:45, I went back and the Carole King Tribute was in full swing, and then Aretha walked on stage and sat down at the piano and proceeded to show why she is still THE Queen of Soul.

At the closing credits, Aretha along with James Taylor, Janelle Monae and Sara Bareilles all sang a Goffin/King song performed I Feel the Earth Move, and at 11:40 p.m. I did indeed feel the 4.7 earthquake which hit off Vancouver Island. Luckily NO damage, but a bit of a scare for sure. Talk about making "the earth move!"

Mark, wow. Everything cool now?

marv2
12-30-2015, 04:28 PM

Lawd YES! She is OUR National Treasure! God Bless the Queen!

stingbeelee
12-30-2015, 07:49 PM
Hey Marv;
Yes! She put her entire foot in this one [[as my Momma used to say). Man!! I jumped out of my chair and fist pumped. The look on the audience said it all. I put it on slow motion to see all of the audience's reactions, and even Mr. Ozawa wiped tears from his eyes! [[you can see a little bit of it when they cut to Cicely) Yes, even the classical world must acknowledge the Queen of Soul!
Carole King wanted to leap from the balcony! After that performance, the roof should've opened and Aretha should have flown away and the audience sent home!

motown01
12-30-2015, 08:53 PM
I watched this in the morning at work and I really had to try and keep my composure. Now I'm home and I've watched it about ten times - this is one of the greatest performances of her career.

Music industry - take note. Take a singer like this, and put REAL instruments behind her - real piano, real orchestra - and it will blow everyone else away. Absolutely the best.

I'm now going to watch it again about ten more times.

Roberta75
12-30-2015, 10:03 PM

Thats just brilliance and amazing and so moving and Carol King and the President and First Lady were all real moved. Oh thank you dear theboyfromxtown for sharing this.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Mark Desjardines
12-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Yes, Marv2, no visible damage anywhere here in Vancouver, but it sure has made us all think about the predicted "Big One" and how to be ready for it when it does happen!

marv2
12-30-2015, 11:54 PM
Hey Marv;
Yes! She put her entire foot in this one [[as my Momma used to say). Man!! I jumped out of my chair and fist pumped. The look on the audience said it all. I put it on slow motion to see all of the audience's reactions, and even Mr. Ozawa wiped tears from his eyes! [[you can see a little bit of it when they cut to Cicely) Yes, even the classical world must acknowledge the Queen of Soul!
Carole King wanted to leap from the balcony! After that performance, the roof should've opened and Aretha should have flown away and the audience sent home!

I felt the same way I did the night she stood in for Luciano Pavarotti at the Grammys and sang "Nessum Dorma".......Amazing!

marv2
12-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Yes, Marv2, no visible damage anywhere here in Vancouver, but it sure has made us all think about the predicted "Big One" and how to be ready for it when it does happen!

Thank God. I did see some reports of the quake on the evening news tonight.

marv2
12-31-2015, 01:48 AM
Aretha the Great!

Sharpmoves
12-31-2015, 07:55 AM
Anyone still think she's no longer Queen? Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! She even makes Me feel like a Natural Woman! Bless and keep Aretha Franklin, she's the greatest!

soulwally
12-31-2015, 09:10 AM
Anyone still think she's no longer Queen? Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! She even makes Me feel like a Natural Woman! Bless and keep Aretha Franklin, she's the greatest!
Goosebumps...chills...sheer admiration for such talent. I'm a fan of both Aretha and Carole King and her fantastic song history. Is the full show available to see online?

marv2
12-31-2015, 10:14 AM
Goosebumps...chills...sheer admiration for such talent. I'm a fan of both Aretha and Carole King and her fantastic song history. Is the full show available to see online?

I wish Aretha and Carol would get together and collaborate on something now, something new! Show these children how it's done!!!

milven
12-31-2015, 11:07 AM
I wish Aretha and Carol would get together and collaborate on something now, something new! Show these children how it's done!!!

I think she showed them in this performance. A voice not corrected by auto tune, with REAL instruments behind her - real piano, real orchestra - and it blew everyone away. - including the author of the song and the POTUS. Absolutely the best.

luke
12-31-2015, 12:03 PM
And no twerking and she played the piano! great pic of her highness facing her loyal subjects Marv!!

luke
12-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Maybe Princess Adele learned from Queen Ree that you can entertain and move people by looking your best and singing your best and standing at a microphone and sing with passion.

marv2
12-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Maybe Princess Adele learned from Queen Ree that you can entertain and move people by looking your best and singing your best and standing at a microphone and sing with passion.

Do you know there are all these "younger people" online that have no clue about who Carol King is?

marv2
12-31-2015, 06:43 PM

That is what I am paying to see when I go to a concert. When I want to see the other thing, I go to a strip club.

luke
12-31-2015, 07:31 PM
Lol good point! I asked a diverse group of young people last night about Aretha and they said they heard of her but didn't know how popular she has been or that she is the queen of soul. Scary

marv2
12-31-2015, 07:46 PM
Lol good point! I asked a diverse group of young people last night about Aretha and they said they heard of her but didn't know how popular she has been or that she is the queen of soul. Scary

On the reverse. I was with my cousin John on Christmas eve during the day. He said he has never heard of Adele. He is in his fifties......LOL

marv2
12-31-2015, 07:56 PM

This video is tracking 300,000 views every half hour .....whew!

marv2
12-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Just a reminder....from Christmas Day 1967.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek01I2Ps6Bg

luke
12-31-2015, 11:34 PM
She's at 5 million views now!!

midnightman
12-31-2015, 11:51 PM
After 60 years, she can still bring the crowd to their feet. That's a true legend.

marv2
01-01-2016, 12:04 AM
Just think, around this time back in 2011 many [[including some here on this forum) had her peg for as good as dead. Long live and God Bless Ms. Aretha Franklin!!!

daddyacey
01-01-2016, 02:43 AM
What also struck me was the RESPECT that these women showed honestly for each other. The look on Kings face when she sat down at the piano and the fact that she turned the place out with one of KINGS most popular songs , at KINGS party , it was priceless. That kind of quality in music is whats missing today.

RTA6226
01-01-2016, 03:14 PM
I LOVED how she blew Carole King's mind. That was priceless. Aretha will ALWAYS be the Queen of Soul!

daviddesper
01-01-2016, 05:59 PM
I watch this show every year and this was by far the best one of them all. Of course it is going to vary depending on how I feel about the honorees in any particular year. In this case, I tuned in primarily to see the tributes to Rita Moreno, since "The Ritz" is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen in my life, and Cicely, since "Miss Jane Pittman" still sends chills up my spine. Those two tributes did not disappoint for their poignancy, but the producers certainly put the show in the right order by ending with the Aretha slam dunk. So I share everyone's praise for that performance.

I have three unrelated questions about this show:

1) Just a few years ago, Bettye Lavette was a guest performer on the show, but I cannot remember what she sang. Anyway, Barbra Streisand was being honored and I am about 90% sure I remember seeing her mouth the question to someone beside her, asking who Bettye was. Does anyone else remember that?

2) Many years ago, probably 15-20, Dionne Warwick was a guest. She sang a song that was something like "What Makes You Happy Makes Me Happy Too." Does anyone remember that or who she was honoring that night?

3) Do you think the honorees know in advance exactly who is appearing on their behalf or are they kept in the dark? Cicely and Carole each appeared to be sincerely surprised and moved, which made me wonder if they perhaps really don't know.

And finally, Cicely still handling the rigors of Broadway at age 90??? You go girl!

reese
01-01-2016, 06:39 PM
I have three unrelated questions about this show:

1) Just a few years ago, Bettye Lavette was a guest performer on the show, but I cannot remember what she sang. Anyway, Barbra Streisand was being honored and I am about 90% sure I remember seeing her mouth the question to someone beside her, asking who Bettye was. Does anyone else remember that?

2) Many years ago, probably 15-20, Dionne Warwick was a guest. She sang a song that was something like "What Makes You Happy Makes Me Happy Too." Does anyone remember that or who she was honoring that night?

3) Do you think the honorees know in advance exactly who is appearing on their behalf or are they kept in the dark? Cicely and Carole each appeared to be sincerely surprised and moved, which made me wonder if they perhaps really don't know.

And finally, Cicely still handling the rigors of Broadway at age 90??? You go girl!

1) Bettye sang LOVE REIGN 'OER ME in honor of Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend. I do remember Stresiand leaning over to someone and saying something.

2) Dionne sang I WANT TO BE HAPPY/WATCH WHAT HAPPENS for Lena Horne.

3) I don't think the honorees know who is singing for them, at least not all of the time. In Bettye's case, I think she wanted to sing for George Jones but all his slots were taken. So she was asked to sing for Pete and Ron.

And yes, Cicely. I saw her a few weeks ago in THE GIN GAME and a few years back in THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL and she was stunning in each.