PDA

View Full Version : Gone too soon.....

test

marybrewster
12-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Besides Florence Ballard and the many "major" Motown stars that died at an early age [[such as Mary Wells, Paul Williams, etc), I'm curious to learn about the lesser known stars that have passed, such as Sandra Tilley [[Vandellas) and Georgeanna Tillman [[Marvelettes). Did anyone on SDF ever meet these ladies, or have any stories about these "unsung" divas that left us too soon?

randy_russi
12-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Georgeanna died in 1980 from sickle cell anemia. Sandy died in the 80s from an anyerism to the brain.

carlo
12-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Sandra was a very pretty lady. I wish we had more video footage of the Martha, Lois and Sandra grouping of the Vandellas. They were a very striking lineup.

topdiva1
12-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Sandra was a very pretty lady. I wish we had more video footage of the Martha, Lois and Sandra grouping of the Vandellas. They were a very striking lineup.

Yes Carlo - this was a great line up of Martha Reeves and The Vandellas - my favorite song by them was the little known Tear It On Down - I believe from the Black Magic album.

Have a great holiday!!!

randy_russi
12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Sandy did appear on some TV programs with the group, however. I remember them being on Dinah Shore and singing
"More Today Than Yesterday", long before Miss Ross recorded it. And, yes, Sandy was very pretty. She had also
worked with the Velvelettes and the Orlons.

carlo
12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I had no idea Sandra had worked with the Orlons. Was she a member at one point?

randy_russi
12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Yes, but a later line-up in the late '60s.