PDA

View Full Version : The New "Supremes" ?

test

luke
12-16-2015, 11:57 PM
Mary, Freda and Scherrie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzG5zD_3Ww

jobeterob
12-17-2015, 12:39 AM
Good video! Thanks

luke
12-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Your welcome. They seemed to be having a ball.

BigAl
12-17-2015, 03:29 AM
Oh my. I'm guessing cocktails were served at the event!

luke
12-17-2015, 09:51 AM
What makes you say that? Lol

Bluebrock
12-17-2015, 12:53 PM
These ladies would have made a great line up for the Supremes. They look great and sound even better!!

BigAl
12-17-2015, 10:34 PM
These ladies would have made a great line up for the Supremes. They look great and sound even better!!
Bad timing for Freda.
Had she not hit it big with "Band of Gold," so shortly prior to the Supremes' difficulties, she would almost certainly have been the strongest contender for the soprano slot, with Scherrie as lead.
But then, what would it have been? The Payne Sisters Featuring Mary Wilson?
So no…no: it probably would have been an unholy mess.

luke
12-17-2015, 10:51 PM
I think voice and image wise Freda would have fit in better than Scherrie as much as I love Scherries talent and personality.

BigAl
12-18-2015, 02:25 AM
I think voice and image wise Freda would have fit in better than Scherrie as much as I love Scherries talent and personality.
Scherrie was a spitfire, while Freda was a siren, and I think The Supremes definitely needed a spitfire by the time they hired Scherrie, so I can think of no one who could have filled that space better at the time.

Granted, Freda had the slick, slinky presence, and the kittenish voice, which the lead role had seemingly required as Diane left, but Jean dispelled that notion. After that, there was no going back. If Freda had replaced Diane directly, it would have been an easier transition, I think, but that ship had long since sailed by the time it came to replace both Jean and Lynda. The slinky/sexy aspect had been lacking with Jean, and Freda would have fit right in on those counts of course, but Scherrie had the pipes, not to mention the energy and the looks. Being short, she could upstage Mary, vocally, without doing so otherwise, which served Mary well. I can see how there could have been conflict between Mary and Freda had Freda been hired to lead.

Even if Freda had not found her place in the first circle as a solo act, Scherrie was still the better choice, as far as I'm concerned.

Still…the concept of a Wilson leading two Paynes is something to think about. They've always seemed to get along so well together -- at least in public -- but I suspect it would have been a struggle for all of them if pitted together professionally.