PDA

View Full Version : Buzzfeed: Diana Ross plays ALL the characters from “The Wiz” on lost concept album!

test

DianaLove
12-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Last week a published a review of the lost Diana album, "Diana Ross sings songs from The Wiz." I also moved to NYC last week, so in the chaos, I didn't have too much time to post this article in as many places as I usually would, but I always enjoy getting the feedback form the SD board. :)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dianainsimsbury/review-diana-ross-sings-songs-from-the-wiz-idf9

jobeterob
12-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Review: Diana Ross Sings Songs From “The Wiz”

Diana Ross plays ALL the characters from “The Wiz” on lost concept album!

Written by: Sean Lyons for The Campaign to Bring Diana Ross to Simsbury

At the stroke of midnight, as Thanksgiving Day gave way to Black Friday 2015, an incredible thing happened. After 38 years in the vaults, “Diana Ross Sings Songs from The Wiz” was released to the anxiously awaiting hearts and ears of fans. The 13 track album was originally scheduled to be released in early 1979. Co-produced by Diana Ross and Grammy Award winning producer Lee Holdridge, the album was meant to be a follow up to the 1978 film version of the musical. The film boasts an all-star cast, including Lena Horne, Richard Pryor, Ted Ross, Nipsey Russell, with Diana Ross and Michael Jackson starring as Dorothy and Scarecrow respectively.

“The Wiz” remains a cult classic today thanks to the superstardom gained by Michael Jackson in the 1980’s, and the enduringly iconic status of Diana Ross. At the time of the film’s release in 1978 however, “The Wiz” was considered a commercial disappointment. “Diana Ross Sings Songs from The Wiz” was locked up in the vault and forgotten and Diana moved onto her smash hit album, “The Boss.”

In a recent interview, Lee Holdridge reflected on working on the album with Diana, “There was some craziness going on between her and the record company, she wasn’t happy about a lot of things.” Lee was indeed correct. Diana had embarked on this project just after a divorce from her husband, Bob. She moved herself and her three daughters to New York City. She was a single mom in a new city, navigating the waters of divorce, and considering her exit from Motown, which had been her creative home since the beginning of her career. In her memoir “Secrets of a Sparrow,” Diana recalls this time: “I felt just like Dorothy, lost in some far away land, trying to live in the ‘I don’t know what’s next,’ trying to trust that I would be fine.” Always the consummate professional, Diana used the project as catharsis. Lee Holdridge also remembered how much he enjoyed working with Diana, “I had pleasant conversations with her, and she was a joy to work with.” As Diana threw herself into her work on “The Wiz” she remained optimistic, “Somewhere deep down inside, Dorothy always knew that she would prevail, and in my new life, so did I. It was about trusting something you couldn’t see.”

“Diana Ross Sings Songs from The Wiz,” is easily the most significant vault release to come out of Universal since “Blue” was released in partnership with Starbucks in 2006. The album is brilliant in its concept because it allows Diana Ross to take a star turn, not just as Dorothy, but as all of the dynamic supporting characters.

The set opens with Diana’s tender reading of Aunt Em’s “The Feeling We Once Had,” before moving into the funky “He’s The Wiz.” Diana delivers the latter with a sensual growl that demonstrates her prowess as both a jazz interpreter and disco diva, lending a new spirit to the Broadway classic. Added dialogue between songs makes the collection even more charming, as found in the beginning of “As Soon as I Get Home,” when Dorothy is searching for the Yellow Brick Road.

The set kicks back into high gear on the “Trio Medley” which finds Diana taking on the songs of Dorothy’s comrades from the film. The medley begins with “You Can’t Win” where Diana does a formidable impression of her friend Michael Jackson that listeners will delight in. The medley takes a more country turn on Tin Man’s “Slide Some Oil” before turning to a rock and roll vibe for the Lion’s “[[I’m A) Mean Old Lion.” Diana uses a deep growly voice to perform the latter track, showcasing the talent and humor with which she approaches character voices.

“Ease on Down the Road” and “Be a Lion” stay true to their cinematic counterparts, but having solo versions of these classics is a treat for fans. On “Be a Lion,” Diana delivers a vulnerable performance that showcases her range as both actress and singer, as she belts a set of key changes that would rival any Broadway diva.

“So You Wanted to See The Wizard” is a no holds barred performance full of whimsy and energy. Diana lets out an unrecognizably maniacal laugh before launching into her best wizard voice for this disco tour de force. The collection quiets back down with “Is This What Feeling Gets [[Dorothy’s Theme),” a gorgeous ballad written by Ashford and Simpson specifically for Diana for the film version of “The Wiz.”

Diana is very clearly having the most fun on the bombastic character numbers. She does a great job as Eveline on the gospel number “Don’t Nobody Bring Me No Bad News.” As the collection winds down, the songs become more introspective. “Wonder Wonder Why” is one the brightest highlights on this collection. It was written for the original Broadway musical, but was ultimately cut from both stage and film. Diana turns in an incredible performance of the song here, showcasing range, restraint, and vulnerability. The acoustic instrumental landscape, led by a beautiful guitar line, allows Diana’s vocal to sparkle in the foreground.

A solo performance of “A Brand New Day” adds an exclamation point to the end of this collection. “Believe In Yourself,” sung by Dorothy to her friends, and then reprised by Glinda to Dorothy, summarizes the message of the story. “Believe In Yourself” and “Home” continue to spotlight Diana’s expert phrasing and angelic tone. Both songs begin quietly with acoustic guitar and percussion, and add more instruments as the songs build, never over taking the vocals, but rather providing Diana the perfect accompaniment to showcase her talents.

This album will thrill and delight Broadway fans, fans of “The Wiz,” and most assuredly Diana Ross fans. The remastered release was produced with great care by Andrew Skurow, George Solomon and Harry Weinger. It is part of a growing series of exquisitely expanded editions of Supremes and Diana Ross solo albums put out by Universal. This concept album serves to remind us not only of the versatility and depth of Diana’s abilities as a singer, but how these introspective lyrics by Charlie Smalls can relate to all of our journeys.

On December 3rd, a new generation will be introduced to “The Wiz” through NBC’s “The Wiz Live!” special. A new cast will bring these characters to life in the hearts and imaginations of viewers all around the world. With renewed interest in the musical, perhaps this incredible collection can introduce an all new generation to the artistry of Diana Ross.

Via Facebook: DianaInSimsbury

captainjames
12-12-2015, 07:39 PM
This recording is truly a delight - It is evident why BG invested in Ross's talent.

vgalindo
12-13-2015, 04:38 AM
Yes I love it. I have been playing all week!