PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye biopic finally happening: F. Gary Gray to direct it [[Berry OKs it)

test

midnightman
12-09-2015, 08:20 PM
From Roger Friedman's Showbiz 411 site:

Exclusive: Official Marvin Gaye Biopic from “Compton” Director

by Roger Friedman - December 9, 2015 5:38 pm

Marvin Gaye is finally getting the big screen treatment. And this time it’s official. I hear that “Straight Outta Compton” director F. Gary Gray has made a deal with longtime Motown impresaria and award winning producer Suzanne dePasse as well as Motown founder Berry Gordy. Gaye’s family is said to be involved as well. There have been past attempts to make a Marvin Gaye film. But without music rights it was impossible. Gordy and dePasse’s involvement bodes well for the project. More to come…P.S. no title yet but my choice would be How Sweet It Is.

----
I wonder what the script is gonna be based on. You can be SURE it won't be from the tabloid-ish "Trouble Man" bio [[with its many inaccuracies and false accusations) since Berry and Suzanne have agreed to sign on to it.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/12/09/exclusive-official-marvin-gaye-biopic-from-compton

Rather get news from this than the ongoing Blurred Lines drama [[done with it already).

Philles/Motown Gary
12-09-2015, 08:36 PM
This is exciting news, midnightman. Thanks for letting us know!

midnightman
12-09-2015, 08:40 PM
This is exciting news, midnightman. Thanks for letting us know!

No prob! :D I had given up any hope but now it seriously looks like it's happening!!! :D And with Berry's [[and the Gaye family's) approval, I'm alright with whatever happens with it. :)

marv2
12-09-2015, 09:05 PM
This is great news!

marv2
12-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Do you know if there is a timeline for filming yet? I wonder if Robin Thicke and Pharrell will be contributing to the soundtrack..........................

Roberta75
12-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Im real glad Suzane DePasse and Mr. Gordy are involved in this project. This should have Motown involvment..

Roberta

midnightman
12-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Do you know if there is a timeline for filming yet? I wonder if Robin Thicke and Pharrell will be contributing to the soundtrack..........................

Well since Roger broke the news yesterday, I'm sure we'll probably see more in the way of news. LOL at that last suggestion. I think Robin burned too many bridges to be a part of it. As for Pharrell... HA.

marv2
12-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Well since Roger broke the news yesterday, I'm sure we'll probably see more in the way of news. LOL at that last suggestion. I think Robin burned too many bridges to be a part of it. As for Pharrell... HA.

They should do it for free LOL!!!!!

midnightman
12-10-2015, 03:01 PM
^ Lol as much as they beg courts to not let them give up portions of their money, that would be good lmao

marv2
12-10-2015, 03:34 PM
^ Lol as much as they beg courts to not let them give up portions of their money, that would be good lmao

and then make them wash everyone's car involved in the production. LOL!

marv2
12-10-2015, 05:18 PM
I had forgotten that "Sexual Healing" was #1 for 10 weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSiASsUIs

midnightman
12-10-2015, 06:38 PM
and then make them wash everyone's car involved in the production. LOL!

I can imagine it: Pharrell mean mugging people while washing the cars and Robin Thicke washing, smiling like he has no clue where he's at with his glasses on and his douchey hairdo. :)

marv2
12-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I can imagine it: Pharrell mean mugging people while washing the cars and Robin Thicke washing, smiling like he has no clue where he's at with his glasses on and his douchey hairdo. :)

Because he will be high as a kite! LOL!

StuBass1
12-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Marvin's story is quite compelling. I'm not sure what artistic license and control Motown and the Gaye family insisted upon for their approval. I hope the film shows the good, the bad, and even the ugly side of this most complex character told in an honest and forthright manner. The truth should not diminish Marvin's musical genius...

midnightman
12-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Anything can happen with Berry & Suzanne around but Marvin's family apparently is approving this too so we'll see...

jobeterob
12-10-2015, 11:03 PM
With the consents, the heavyweights in, the music, they could easily have a winner!

marv2
12-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Anything can happen with Berry & Suzanne around but Marvin's family apparently is approving this too so we'll see...
If it were only Suzanne involved, we would never get the true story, but some fairy tale version of Marvin's life....having him die in his sleep while on vacation in Acapulco or something. Great that Marvin's family is involved.

daddyacey
12-11-2015, 01:20 AM
Well if it aint done right ,,,,,,, Marvin will spook the shizit out of all of them , "And you know this"!!!!!

marv2
12-11-2015, 01:40 AM
Well if it aint done right ,,,,,,, Marvin will spook the shizit out of all of them , "And you know this"!!!!!

Preach Daddy!!! LOL!

midnightman
12-11-2015, 03:20 AM

That would be great haha

phil
12-11-2015, 08:56 AM
If it were only Suzanne involved, we would never get the true story, but some fairy tale version of Marvin's life....having him die in his sleep while on vacation in Acapulco or something. Great that Marvin's family is involved.

You're right Marv, though it's possible that the family too won't want certain things being exposed. That said I didn't read Janis' book...

Personnally I'm afraid we'll be disappointed like for the recent James Brown film. Marvin's life and career can't be resumed in a two hours movie. I think it would be better to focus on a specific part of it, like his beginnings at Motown for example.

Well, I re-read my message and I apologize for sounding that negative but these are my feelings right now. But I hope I'm wrong !

marv2
12-11-2015, 10:38 AM
You're right Marv, though it's possible that the family too won't want certain things being exposed. That said I didn't read Janis' book...

Personnally I'm afraid we'll be disappointed like for the recent James Brown film. Marvin's life and career can't be resumed in a two hours movie. I think it would be better to focus on a specific part of it, like his beginnings at Motown for example.

Well, I re-read my message and I apologize for sounding that negative but these are my feelings right now. But I hope I'm wrong !

I agree with you Phil. They need to pick a definite starting point in Marvin's life and go from there. I am sure the family will not want everything in the film, which would be impossible to begin with. Marvin was one of the most complex individuals in music history. His story will not be easy to tell.

phil
12-11-2015, 01:00 PM
His story will not be easy to tell.[/B]]

That was my point Marv. Also, there are already some documentaries on his sad ending days and I'd prefer that the people not knowing him very well see his happy days.
In fact I'm afraid they [[the people that make the film) focus on the sensationnal and trash.

jobeterob
12-11-2015, 01:22 PM
That was my point Marv. Also, there are already some documentaries on his sad ending days and I'd prefer that the people not knowing him very well see his happy days.
In fact I'm afraid they [[the people that make the film) focus on the sensationnal and trash.

Well it has to have something that catches the public imagination or it won't be very successful ~ and Gordy and Depasse have had huge successes.

But garbage and sensationalism tend to wear very quickly and be recognized for what they are ~ "not much".

marv2
12-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Oh they are definitely going to focus in on the trash and left unabated, they'll go for his father's "fetishes" which is why I am happy that the family will be involved, Berry too to a certain extent.

marv2
12-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Well it has to have something that catches the public imagination or it won't be very successful ~ and Gordy and Depasse have had huge successes.

But garbage and sensationalism tend to wear very quickly and be recognized for what they are ~ "not much".

The name "Marvin Gaye" alone will capture the public's imagination and attention! I just want them to be accurate and not overly sensational. If they were, then folks like Berry Gordy, Suzanne DePasse, Diana Ross ...yep and even Mary Wilson will not look too good in it!

midnightman
12-11-2015, 02:20 PM
With BG and the family involved, you can be sure the trashiest elements of Marvin and his dad would be left out... hell they'll probably skip the gory details of Marvin's death. One thing I can commend BG is that he'll never trash his artists... in fact that's why the Sexual Healing film was eventually blocked by Berry and the Gaye family [[yeah Berry was told of the film and put a stop to it because he didn't approve of such a film without his approval) because it focused on the tabloidish elements of Marvin's life from his talked about drug issues, to his issues with women [[which was very complex), to his death and how things broke down. My thing is they would start with his childhood, go into his teen years, the Motown era, What's Going On and the events leading up to Sexual Healing and him performing at the Grammys or Motown 25 being the final scene. In short, it would be like Lady Sings the Blues but with a more autobiographical slant to it [[Lady Sings didn't go into Billie's horrific death).

Just my thoughts.

marv2
12-11-2015, 02:34 PM
With BG and the family involved, you can be sure the trashiest elements of Marvin and his dad would be left out... hell they'll probably skip the gory details of Marvin's death. One thing I can commend BG is that he'll never trash his artists... in fact that's why the Sexual Healing film was eventually blocked by Berry and the Gaye family [[yeah Berry was told of the film and put a stop to it because he didn't approve of such a film without his approval) because it focused on the tabloidish elements of Marvin's life from his talked about drug issues, to his issues with women [[which was very complex), to his death and how things broke down. My thing is they would start with his childhood, go into his teen years, the Motown era, What's Going On and the events leading up to Sexual Healing and him performing at the Grammys or Motown 25 being the final scene. In short, it would be like Lady Sings the Blues but with a more autobiographical slant to it [[Lady Sings didn't go into Billie's horrific death).

Just my thoughts.

No that's good. Have a triumphant ending with the scene of him at Motown 25 or the Grammy's with a prologue showing how his music has influence generations of singers around the World.

midnightman
12-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I would like that as well. People already know what happened on April 1st, 1984...

marv2
12-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I would like that as well. People already know what happened on April 1st, 1984...

I remember everything about that day too well. I wished Marvin could have been around to see a movie made about him. He had his issues, but you never heard stories about him out and out mistreating people. He was a good guy.

midnightman
12-11-2015, 04:15 PM
True. You just never know how biopics are gonna turn out...

StuBass1
12-11-2015, 04:22 PM
There's so much there... Confusing early life in DC. Coming up with a marketable musical style. Marrying the boss's sister, many years his senior. The musicial transitions, Meeting the VERY young woman and divorcing his wife while adapting a new lifestyle in Los Angeles. Financial difficulties sending him to virtual exile in Hawaii hoping to get things straightened out. The whole move to Belgium and the personal rejuvenation. BAck to L.A>.where his life began to once again fall apart, and of course, the tragic ending...A lot to squeeze into two hours. To me...I still remember Marvin stopping on our street to visit Smokey in his Cadillac...or his little Honda 50 scooter he loved to ride around and showing it off to all of us kids and just being the nicest guy you could imagine...The complexity of his life goes in so many different directions...

marv2
12-11-2015, 04:52 PM
True. You just never know how biopics are gonna turn out...

I know how the Temptations turned out, I also know that there is a whole generation of people out there that believe that was the TRUE story verbatim, hehehehehehehehe........

it also help to solidify The Temptations in the collective memory of American Pop Culture. Now there are very, very few people of any age that have not heard of them.

marv2
12-11-2015, 04:55 PM
There's so much there... Confusing early life in DC. Coming up with a marketable musical style. Marrying the boss's sister, many years his senior. The musicial transitions, Meeting the VERY young woman and divorcing his wife while adapting a new lifestyle in Los Angeles. Financial difficulties sending him to virtual exile in Hawaii hoping to get things straightened out. The whole move to Belgium and the personal rejuvenation. BAck to L.A>.where his life began to once again fall apart, and of course, the tragic ending...A lot to squeeze into two hours. To me...I still remember Marvin stopping on our street to visit Smokey in his Cadillac...or his little Honda 50 scooter he loved to ride around and showing it off to all of us kids and just being the nicest guy you could imagine...The complexity of his life goes in so many different directions...

Stu you have some great, great memories. I'm telling you man, a book would do the trick!

marv2
12-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Another thing is I hope they will focus on Marvin the man, the individual and not get too heavy into the people that surrounded him at different parts of his life. Keep in mind that he only lived to age 45 and like you said, there is a lot to cover in 2 hours.

Motown Eddie
12-11-2015, 05:13 PM
From Roger Friedman's Showbiz 411 site:

Exclusive: Official Marvin Gaye Biopic from “Compton” Director

by Roger Friedman - December 9, 2015 5:38 pm

Marvin Gaye is finally getting the big screen treatment. And this time it’s official. I hear that “Straight Outta Compton” director F. Gary Gray has made a deal with longtime Motown impresaria and award winning producer Suzanne dePasse as well as Motown founder Berry Gordy. Gaye’s family is said to be involved as well. There have been past attempts to make a Marvin Gaye film. But without music rights it was impossible. Gordy and dePasse’s involvement bodes well for the project. More to come…P.S. no title yet but my choice would be How Sweet It Is.

----
I wonder what the script is gonna be based on. You can be SURE it won't be from the tabloid-ish "Trouble Man" bio [[with its many inaccuracies and false accusations) since Berry and Suzanne have agreed to sign on to it.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/12/09/exclusive-official-marvin-gaye-biopic-from-compton

Rather get news from this than the ongoing Blurred Lines drama [[done with it already).

This is great news. Looking forward to seeing the Marvin Gaye bio-pic when it comes out.

midnightman
12-12-2015, 12:52 AM
He did indeed live a long life that to say he died at just 44 is amazing... it's like Malcolm X's story, his movie was three hours and he died at just 39! Or John Lennon's, who lived to be 40.

jobeterob
12-12-2015, 03:38 AM
Incredible how it's going to be Berry and Suzanne again!

arr&bee
12-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Oh boy, if suzanne is in this movie marvin won't know what a joint is.

marv2
12-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Oh boy, if suzanne is in this movie marvin won't know what a joint is.

He will also magically learn how to skip while singing..............

arr&bee
12-14-2015, 03:03 PM
I like berry's involvement,but please,please keep ms.dupass as far from this project as possible.

midnightman
12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Lol at "not knowing what a joint is".

detmotownguy
12-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Would Marvin want his life story told on the big screen? I just hope that the results of movie add to his legacy and not have the negative aspects like drug use label him as a complete loser. if money is the motovating factor, then forget it.