PDA

View Full Version : Disintegrating Music Master Tapes That Must Be "Baked" To Preserve Contents

test

Mark Desjardines
12-09-2015, 09:22 AM
When George Soloman and Andy Skurow from Motown/Universal were explaining the back story of how the digital releases of "Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz" and "The Supremes Merry Christmas Expanded" were being prepared, it is sometimes necessary to dig deep into the tape vault and sometimes source material has been stored on audio tape that is badly deteriorating. An 8 hour process termed "baking a tape" [[and NO it is not because company is coming) is outlined in the 1999 Billboard article I've enclosed here10867

soulster
12-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Mark, this looks like a very interesting article. The problem is that it shows up so blurry that we can't read it. Even zooming in doesn't help.

We have known about having to bake certain tapes for decades. It was discovered in the 80s that certain brands of tape suffers from "sticky-shed" syndrome, where the binder of the tape breaks down, and if you try to play the tape back, the oxide literally flakes off and gums up the head stack. The only way to really effectively combat the problem is to literally bake it in a convection-like over at somewhere around 225 degrees for a period of time. Then, the tape will play as normal. This has to be done every time someone uses the tape.

This affected certain brands of tape. I can't recall right away which ones, but If memory serves, one was Ampex, and it was a formula that was made during the 70s and early 80s. This even affected some commercial tapes, or which Motown also used during that time. I know because I had some of them. They would squeal.

I will also note that Bill Holland, the guy who wrote this article, is also the one who wrote the famous, award-winning expose on the state of the recording industry's vault tapes back in the 90s.

Jerry Oz
12-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Mark, this looks like a very interesting article. The problem is that it shows up so blurry that we can't read it. Even zooming in doesn't help.

We have known about having to bake certain tapes for decades. It was discovered in the 80s that certain brands of tape suffers from "sticky-shed" syndrome, where the binder of the tape breaks down, and if you try to play the tape back, the oxide literally flakes off and gums up the head stack. The only way to really effectively combat the problem is to literally bake it in a convection-like over at somewhere around 225 degrees for a period of time. Then, the tape will play as normal. This has to be done every time someone uses the tape.

This affected certain brands of tape. I can't recall right away which ones, but If memory serves, one was Ampex, and it was a formula that was made during the 70s and early 80s. This even affected some commercial tapes, or which Motown also used during that time. I know because I had some of them. They would squeal.

I will also note that Bill Holland, the guy who wrote this article, is also the one who wrote the famous, award-winning expose on the state of the recording industry's vault tapes back in the 90s.PDF of the article is found on this link:
https://books.google.com/books?id=tQ0EAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA124&lpg=RA1-PA124&dq=if+i+knew+you+were+coming,+I%27d+have+baked+a+t ape+bill+holland&source=bl&ots=OVrLMqMIx-&sig=F0uybIjBz-XUsLaibmlFllpgnnE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij0c2Upc_JAhUFRyYKHQKyA8MQ6AEIHDAA#v=on epage&q=if%20i%20knew%20you%20were%20coming%2C%20I'd%20h ave%20baked%20a%20tape%20bill%20holland&f=false

soulster
12-10-2015, 12:02 AM
I think it's a shame that this thread isn't getting any traction around here. Don't the membership realize that a lot of the classic soul they love may never come out on CD, or any other format because of the problem of damaged, deteriorated, lost, or stolen tapes? Does the membership think all that history is miraculously preserved in pristine condition somewhere, and that the producers and engineers can always get to them? Sure, many tapes of a certain era can be baked, but many cannot. This is a discussion that should be happening on all music sites.

Sotosound
12-10-2015, 02:33 PM
I think it's a shame that this thread isn't getting any traction around here. Don't the membership realize that a lot of the classic soul they love may never come out on CD, or any other format because of the problem of damaged, deteriorated, lost, or stolen tapes? Does the membership think all that history is miraculously preserved in pristine condition somewhere, and that the producers and engineers can always get to them? Sure, many tapes of a certain era can be baked, but many cannot. This is a discussion that should be happening on all music sites.

Agreed.

And it isn't helped when companies such as MCA make a point of arbitrarily disposing of all of their mono masters, as they did some while ago. Madness, I say!

I also wish that someone could dig into the UK Polygram vaults to see whether or not any Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons Phillips mono master tapes just happen to be lying around.

StuBass1
12-10-2015, 03:00 PM
I suppose that "baking" is the process they used to save "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch"...not to mention"Bye Bye Miss American Pie"...

Sotosound
12-10-2015, 03:38 PM
I suppose that "baking" is the process they used to save "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch"...not to mention"Bye Bye Miss American Pie"...

LOL

And they had Anita at the controls.

daddyacey
12-11-2015, 01:33 AM
I wonder what Tom Moulton has to say about this ! He has the utmost respect for the master documents of all recorded works.

soulster
12-11-2015, 02:10 AM
Agreed.

[QUOTE]And it isn't helped when companies such as MCA make a point of arbitrarily disposing of all of their mono masters, as they did some while ago. Madness, I say! Well, MCA, specifically, didn't do that. They bought the company, ABC Records, that did. ABC wasn't the only one. It happened at virtually all of the record labels in the 60s and 70s when it was decided that no one would ever have any use for mono, not realizing that those mono mixes were unique, and didn't usually appear on the albums.

soulster
12-11-2015, 02:16 AM

Not really.

Tape stock used before the 70s used a different binder that was chemically stable, and, therefore, tapes recorded during that era are generally fine. No worries for most of the music of the 60s. It was in the 70s that the tape manufacturers started using a different formula, except no one knew it would decompose in a few years. In the 80s, some people, like Tom Scholz [[Boston) found that you could coat the tape with mineral oil as the tape played to get a good pass. It was later discovered that you could bake the tape.

StuBass1
12-11-2015, 05:14 AM
LOL...Home Cookin'

Mark Desjardines
12-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Soulster, thank you for the informative background information on this procedure, which I first heard about from George and Andy while explaining some of the challenges in tracking down alternative tracks for their expanded editions. In my rush to share information, I should have taken more care to insure the article could be easily read. My apologies to all.

soulster
12-11-2015, 11:56 PM
Baking a tape is no big deal. It just has to be done before the tape is played. Problem is, if you read the article, it turns out that you can only bake these take a limited number of times.

Part two of the article is going to examine the problems with digital master tapes.

Again, if you wonder why your favorite album hasn't shown up on CD or for download, tape problems may be to blame. As I always say, a turntable is a music lover's, and a collector's friend. If you only depend on CDs, streaming, or downloads as your choice of music, you will be disappointed!

arr&bee
12-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Actually baked tape is not bad with some soul on the side.

daddyacey
12-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Actually baked tape is not bad with some soul on the side.

And some Funk Sauce.