PDA

View Full Version : Vogue Honors Diana Ross .........AGAIN

test

TheMotownManiac
12-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Ross fan Vogue Magazine keeps spreading love!

http://www.vogue.com/13375675/the-wiz-diana-ross-michael-jackson-costumes/?mbid=social_facebook

jobeterob
12-08-2015, 06:02 PM
I saw this. Amazing how The Wiz has become such a loved movie now.

Mark Desjardines
12-08-2015, 06:38 PM
jobeterob, You are on the ball to have spotted this Vogue Magazine item. Yes, "The Wiz" is much better regarded today than it was when it was released in 1978. I enjoyed the film with all the urban flourishes that director Sidney Lumet inserted into the picture. I didn't mind Diana Ross playing the part of "Dorothy" but over the years thought that such a fashionable woman as her must have chaffed at wearing only one outfit, and a very sensible "School Marm" one at that, for the entire duration of the film. But today, thanks to the link you've posted I learned a little bit more about the plain jane togs Diana was saddled with. LOL!

"Playing a shy 24-year-old Harlemite who is catapulted to “Oz” [[along with loyal pup Toto), Ross takes off for the Emerald City with a fashionable motley crew that includes Michael Jackson as Scarecrow. Her ’70s-era Dorothy disposes of the blue-and-white country gingham pinafore worn by Judy Garland, replacing it with a demure ’70s ruffled purple blouse and flounce skirt that feels twee but not necessarily saccharine.

The article goes on to describe Ross' shoes as "Miu Miu [[http://www.vogue.com/tag/designer/miu-miu/)–esque metallic block-heeled pumps." Who knew?

Ollie9
12-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz is a joy to listen to, though i must admit i do prefer the ballads.
All this Wiz stuff may help introduce Diana to yet another younger generation. All we need now is a new album and perhaps another concert in Central Park. This could be the start of a brand new chapter in her illustrious career.......I'm excited again.

jobeterob
12-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I have a feeling that the new Generation, the Young Generation, already knows The Wiz, has bought into all the digital stuff etc. and it's us that doesn't quite grasp that. Maybe.

The thing I still struggle with for the digital stuff is what happens when the computer is lost and goes down? And how can you remember you have the stuff?

Ollie9
12-10-2015, 05:34 AM
In my experience, and regardless of The Wiz few of the Y.G are quite sure of who or what Diana Ross was or is. They may may have heard of the Supremes.
Like most here i would far prefer a physical release over digital any day of the week, Having said that if digital is all thats available i will acquiesce. As a precaution i always back any downloads on to an external hard drive.
It's shameful at a time when the market is flooded with cd releases by obscure artists, someone of Diana's musical preeminence is available as digital only.