PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Dec 8, 9P-12M ET: Andy and George...Live!

test

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Howdy, Folks! Join me tonight on "Nightflight [[Tue Dec 8, 9P-12M ET at www.womr.org) for a very special show. I will be airing tracks from the new Universal release "Diana Ross Sings Songs From 'The Wiz'"...a previously unreleased collection created to follow her 1978 film "The Wiz", but sadly put in the vaults...until now. And I'll air the new Universal released "Merry Christmas...The Supremes-the Expanded Edition", including the mono and stereo versions as well as previously unreleased tracks. To make this show even MORE special...I will have the producers of these 2 albums...Andy Skurow and George Solomon...live on the air to discuss these remarkable releases. Andy's and George's visits to "Nightflight" are always fascinating...and FUN! See you on the radio...for a hellava show! Thanks! John
PS...no phone calls tonight, please...but please post any questions you may have for Andy and George about these to terrific UMe releases. Thanks!

ejluther
12-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Great news! I have two main questions:
1.) Why no digital booklets with Hi-Resolution releases?
2.) What can we do as fans to keep these great Ross/Supremes releases coming?

Cheers and thanks so much...

RossHolloway
12-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Sounds like it will be a great show, I'll be sure to tune in for this one!

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Jimi LaLumia
12-08-2015, 06:02 PM
can't imagine why they won't take phone calls..lol

RossHolloway
12-08-2015, 06:34 PM
can't imagine why they won't take phone calls..lol

I don't think MJ ever takes calls when he does interviews does he?

Mark Desjardines
12-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I know from past radio shows with George and Andy speaking from their home base of the NYC area, there are limited phone lines at the WOMR studios and they might not be able to get through or worse yet, disconnected. John, my question for Andy and George is "Is it my imagination but is the sax instrumental break on the mono version of "Merry Christmas" more funky/jazzy than the stereo version?" It took me years to track down the mono and stereo vinyl versions of this recording, and it's great to have them re-released. Thank you SO much Andy and George, for all the hard sleuthing work you do trying to uncover new surprises in tape boxes that may not always be accurately labeled. And John, where else can one hear these guys give us the back story to these releases. Kudos to you too for facilitating this!

Mark Desjardines
12-08-2015, 07:11 PM
John, in another thread on this site, ATTACH]10855[/ATTACH] jobeterob shared that the current Vogue Magazine features a piece on the 1978 film version of "The Wiz." The costume sketch that you posted above made me want to share a Vogue staffer's take on the one outfit that Ross wore throughout the film. I though the "school marm" look may have been an irritant to Diana who takes great care in the clothing she selects.

"Her ’70s-era Dorothy disposes of the blue-and-white country gingham pinafore worn by Judy Garland, replacing it with a demure ’70s ruffled purple blouse and flounce skirt that feels twee but not necessarily saccharine."

The article goes on to describe Ross' shoes as "Miu Miu [[http://www.vogue.com/tag/designer/miu-miu/)–esque metallic block-heeled pumps." Who knew?

RossHolloway
12-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Midnight -
Here are my questions for Andy and George;
1. Were there any tracks from both these projects that didn't make the final cut?
2. Any new discoveries, by either Ross or the Supremes, while researching and putting together these collections.
3. Any news on Unreleased 1965?
4 Are there any more unreleased Christmas tunes by any artists from the Motown Golden years?
5. Would Andy or George happen to know the rationale behind using the Andantes on background rather than Mary and Florence?

daviddh
12-08-2015, 07:37 PM
heres a question from davidh from Baltimore...,is this Ross Royal Albert Hall dvd dead in the water???
#2 whats left in the supremes Vaults. I hear everything is gone but live and Disney and 70s

daviddh
12-08-2015, 08:16 PM
#1) what is the status of GO GO and Ross 78.
#2) have you found other surprises like BLUE or ROSS SONGS THE WIZ that you can talk about. or is this all there is?
#3) why are these releases always seemed to be clouded in mystery rather than stating {future release ...............coming spring 16}????

daviddh
12-08-2015, 08:20 PM
what about a 70s lost and found.....a d ross lost and found????

greg jones
12-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Hello John, George & Andy,

Really looking forward to the show.

First, a belated Congratulations to Andy Skurow on his HAL award!

I have a couple of questions for Andy & George:
• What was the reason for the original release of the Wiz album being shelved ? I was working as a buyer for Peaches Records & Tapes in St. Louis and made sure it was on our order sheet as soon as we got the announcement from Motown in Oct 78. Then after the 1st of the year, nothing and the catalogue number was reassigned.

• Since Universal is no longer selling physical cds of the expanded editions through Hip-O Select or Amazon and putting everything available on downloading, can we get them to digitize the original booklets for the previous Expanded editions that are up for sale on iTunes and Amazon mp3 like There's A Place, Where Did Our Love Go, This Is The Story Etc. and include those booklets that are not currently there?

greg jones
los angeles, ca

daviddh
12-08-2015, 09:17 PM
happy hannakah to everyone, and yes congrats to Andy for your Hal award

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 09:28 PM
...in the studio....a little early....see you in a few...y'all...thanks for the great questions!!!!
And yes...some of you knew...no calls....I'm the only one in the studio to answer the phone....and I will already be on the phone with Andy and George....GOT IT, Jimi?

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 09:35 PM
happy hannakah to everyone, and yes congrats to Andy for your Hal award

....and to YOU, David!!

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 09:50 PM
I know from past radio shows with George and Andy speaking from their home base of the NYC area, there are limited phone lines at the WOMR studios and they might not be able to get through or worse yet, disconnected. John, my question for Andy and George is "Is it my imagination but is the sax instrumental break on the mono version of "Merry Christmas" more funky/jazzy than the stereo version?" It took me years to track down the mono and stereo vinyl versions of this recording, and it's great to have them re-released. Thank you SO much Andy and George, for all the hard sleuthing work you do trying to uncover new surprises in tape boxes that may not always be accurately labeled. And John, where else can one hear these guys give us the back story to these releases. Kudos to you too for facilitating this!

Mark....thank you a WHOLE lot!!!!

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Sounds like it will be a great show, I'll be sure to tune in for this one!

Hey there, RossHolloway!

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Great news! I have two main questions:
1.) Why no digital booklets with Hi-Resolution releases?
2.) What can we do as fans to keep these great Ross/Supremes releases coming?

Cheers and thanks so much...

Hey there, Eric!!

midnight johnny
12-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Hello John, George & Andy,

Really looking forward to the show.

First, a belated Congratulations to Andy Skurow on his HAL award!

I have a couple of questions for Andy & George:
• What was the reason for the original release of the Wiz album being shelved ? I was working as a buyer for Peaches Records & Tapes in St. Louis and made sure it was on our order sheet as soon as we got the announcement from Motown in Oct 78. Then after the 1st of the year, nothing and the catalogue number was reassigned.

• Since Universal is no longer selling physical cds of the expanded editions through Hip-O Select or Amazon and putting everything available on downloading, can we get them to digitize the original booklets for the previous Expanded editions that are up for sale on iTunes and Amazon mp3 like There's A Place, Where Did Our Love Go, This Is The Story Etc. and include those booklets that are not currently there?

greg jones
los angeles, ca

Hello, Greg.....!!!!

copley
12-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Andy, don't forget my BLINKY question please. Stayed up just to make sure that my PC was actually recording as last time it went AOWL. Thanks. Hi to John, Andy & George from Bonnie Scotland :)

JohnnyB
12-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Hello, Greg.....!!!!
My statement isn't a question; it is a sincere thank you to Andy and George for their incredible work, and for keeping this legacy alive. Thank u so very much!!!

daviddh
12-08-2015, 10:15 PM
we're off to a good start , just need a glass of wine and more supremes. I take it there is no other lost supremes Christmas songs, darn!
anyone know how Flo got to do two leads but none for Mary

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:17 PM
And what might their names be? Andy, George & John? Diana, Mary & Flo?
Louvain, Jackie & Marlene?

daviddh
12-08-2015, 10:17 PM
so good to hear Andy's voice. it's been too long

daviddh
12-08-2015, 10:21 PM
I do like the booklets and timelines that they did

daviddh
12-08-2015, 10:23 PM
will there ever be a Motown remixed cd ???I have suggestions

greg jones
12-08-2015, 10:24 PM
To add some questions to what is currently being talked about:

• Since all 3 of you are in the music industry and have very wide variety of tastes, I am sort of curious as to what size Your music collections are since you have a little more access getting the items that are released. This would be CD's vinyl, tape & downloads. Do you still collect some vinyl as well ? Or usually get rid of vinyl if you have it a digital format.

• Andy & George, what were the 1st Supremes or Diana reissues that You worked on ?

• George has talked about how he was started listening to and buying the Supremes music around the time of the Where Did Our Love Go original release. Andy, when did start listening to the Supremes and what was your 1st Supremes or Diana purchase ?

daviddh
12-08-2015, 10:25 PM
yeah supremes GO GO 50th next year

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Yes it was on a 2 fer with Stevie Wonder's "Someday at Christmas".

daviddh
Merry Chstmas cd was not a 2fer....fyi I don t think....oops I have been proven wrong.sorry

greg jones
Merry Christmas 1st time on CD was a 2-for-1 with Stevie Wonder's Someday At Christmas

marybrewster
12-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Hi to "the boys"! Happy HOlidays!

My question re: "The Children's Christmas Song": is there any notation on the original "Merry Christmas" masters as to who makes up the children's choir on background? Is it truly Joy, Berry, and Terry? Or perhaps the children of the Andantes? :)

johnjeb
12-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Yes, Merry Christmas was paired with Stevie Wonder MCD08041MD...I have it...then it was a single, I have it...then 1999, I have it...now download, I have it

I have never seen a mono release other than the original...I have 2 copies original mono...2 copies original stereo...1 copy natural resources and 2 copies reissue

Oh, and reissue cassette...but, alas, no 8-track or reel-to-reel

marybrewster
12-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Merry Chstmas cd was not a 2fer....fyi

A 2fer with Stevie Wonder.

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:32 PM
A U.K. issue....

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:34 PM

A U.K issue

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Here's the 2-fer

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:42 PM
But Kevin did mix the two unreleased tracks #3"Silver Bells" [[Alternate Version) & 33 "My Favorite Things" [[Live At The Copa)

daviddh
12-08-2015, 10:44 PM
is Diana ross solo ROSS album the last solo lp to get the deluxe edition

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:44 PM

My question re: "The Children's Christmas Song": is there any notation on the original "Merry Christmas" masters as to who makes up the children's choir on background? Is it truly Joy, Berry, and Terry? Or perhaps the children of the Andantes? :)

Louvain Demps said [[on Nightflight) that it was the Andantes themselves. They had been instructed to sound like children for that part of the recording.

texassoul
12-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Hi John. What a fabulous show!! Unfortunately, I caught a case of the whisky flu at Happy Hour and will have to miss the show, but I'm recording it so I won't miss it. Catch you next week. Have a great show!!

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Here's the book, Andy

marybrewster
12-08-2015, 10:51 PM

My question re: "The Children's Christmas Song": is there any notation on the original "Merry Christmas" masters as to who makes up the children's choir on background? Is it truly Joy, Berry, and Terry? Or perhaps the children of the Andantes?

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:55 PM
"The Happiest Millionaire" was Walt Disney's last film. Yes, it was obviously made to top "Mary Poppins" and yes, like many late-sixties musicals, it flopped at the box office. But the fact remains that it is a glowing, beautifully made musical [[with songs by the Sherman Brothers who were responsible for "Poppins") and it never got the recognition it truly deserved. The cast, headed by Disney Stalwart Fred MacMurray and legendary star Greer Garson [[in her last film appearance) is excellent. The musical numbers are fun and engaging and the players do them well. Both Lesley Ann Warren and John Davidson were introduced in this film and proved an ideal pair of romantic leads. Warren, who became an overnight star courtesy of her delightful performance as Cinderella in the 1965 Rodgers and Hammerstein television musical, literally shines as Cordelia Drexel Biddle. Many scenes are stolen by Geraldine Page playing Davidson's haughty mother, and Tommy Steele can sing and dance with the best of them. There is also a grand performance from Gladys Cooper as the family matriarch. And, for "Poppins" fans, Hermione Baddely appears as the Irish housekeeper. There is also a brief bit by Joan Marshall, the star of William Castle's "Homicidal" [[billed as Jean Arless) as a maid. The fact that this story is [[loosely) based on the prominent Biddle family of Philadelphia, adds to the fun. Because the film was released after Disney's death and exhibitors complained about its long running time, it was drastically edited, shortening and removing several scenes, as well as one musical number [["It Won't Be Long Till Christmas"), and here is where the controversy comes in. Garson was originally cast as Mrs. Duke, after the part was turned down by several actresses, including Geraldine Page. Just before filming began however, Page changed her mind, and Greer ended up as Mrs. Biddle. [[a part she was not anxious to play). She agreed to the switch when she heard the score--especially "It Won't Be Long Till Christmas" which was her one musical number. Indeed she COULD sing, and she did so in a few of her '40's films. Because her song was subsequently cut from the film [[after it's Hollywood world premiere) she declined to attend any further premieres, though she had been at the Hollywood opening. Thanks to the newly restored roadshow edition, the song has been restored, a

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Monongahela

carole cucumber
12-08-2015, 11:05 PM
The 10th could be the physical release of the expanded edition next christmas.

bradsupremes
12-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Any Christmas tracks recorded for the album, but didn't receive vocals?

greg jones
12-08-2015, 11:12 PM
• Funny Girl, Talk of Town and Love Child each had mono dj pressings but NO commercial mono release. Do these masters still exist or Were these mixes much different or just mixed from 2 channel down to 1 ?

• When you find things are you finding things from going through the logs that Motown kept or more from the actual physical tapes in the vaults ?

vgalindo
12-08-2015, 11:26 PM
Sorry I joined the show late. But do we know if Ross 78 will be expanded in the near future? Sorry if this has already been answered.

vgalindo
12-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Rasputin has carried many of the Expanded Editions in their stores.

Glenpwood
12-08-2015, 11:37 PM
Hi John, Andy, & George!

So sorry to have missed the first hour and 15 minutes [[holiday duties beckoned) but it was nice to come in to find you playing those glorious new Flo vocal alternates from the Merry Christmas expanded edition!

Loving both new releases but wondering if theres any chance we might see these or some of your other great vault finds put out by Universal on vinyl.... I would love Blue or even just a disc of rare tracks on the format... I loved that Music On Vinyl put out DRATS Number #1's this year and hope they or Universal does more....

marybrewster
12-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Going back to "Merry Christmas", are there any stories or theories as to why "The Children's Christmas Song" was chosen as the lead [[and only) single from the LP when there clearly were stronger alternatives?

Mark Desjardines
12-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Hello John George & Andy; I re-read my question and what I meant to say was the sax solo on "My Favourite Things" on the original mono vinyl record release Sorry about the confusion. Loved all your inside stories about how both these releases came to be.

carole cucumber
12-09-2015, 12:27 AM
heres a question from davidh from Baltimore...,is this Ross Royal Albert Hall dvd dead in the water???
#2 whats left in the supremes Vaults. I hear everything is gone but live and Disney and &0s

David likely hit a cap for the 7 of 70 making it an ampersand; he was likely asking about the 70's [[post-Diana) Supremes

RossHolloway
12-09-2015, 12:31 AM
Follow up question: Who are the artists who have unreleased Christmas songs?
[[Praying that its Martha & The Vandellas, Brenda Holloway or the Velvelettes)

johnjeb
12-09-2015, 12:33 AM
I thought she was saying something about her ear or in her ear during the studio chatter in Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.

vgalindo
12-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Does the rumored Diana Ross Harold Arlen owned by Universal?

carole cucumber
12-09-2015, 12:56 AM
From Sal Pinto:
"Keeping with the Hanukkah spirit of the season, I say “Good Evening My “Motown Mishpucha”! I LIVE for these radio podcasts with Andy and George. I “krvell” for 3 hours straight! Let me ask you in regards to “Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz”. Seeing this release has received positive critical media acclaim and has done extraordinary well on all the download charts, 1978 vs. 2015? Do you think in this case “timing is everything” as to why this has become a runaway hit and best seller?
BTW, it’s ironic because it’s true, she REALLY does SING on these tracks, no smoke and mirrors, PURE vocal excellence. Do you agree? You know I have nothing but true love and respect for you both. You do God’s work I tell you! [[ I dare you to read these comment and questions on the air!)"

Glenpwood
12-09-2015, 12:56 AM
I have a minty mono copy of Reflections and the mixes are glorious, even an alternate vocal on Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things...

jobeterob
12-09-2015, 12:57 AM
Missed the whole show I guess; didn't know this was on. Will there be a podcast or answers posted to some of the questions?

Methuselah2
12-09-2015, 01:05 AM
QUESTION:

Will the A' GO-GO release next year include multiple versions of ITCHING? [[Sure hope so.)

[[Sorry if you already addressed this issue this evening. I was very late to the show. But I recall from another show from the past that you mentioned several versions of ITCHING were available.)

vgalindo
12-09-2015, 01:06 AM
Thanks Johnny. Great show. Love George and Andy!

midnight johnny
12-09-2015, 01:43 AM
Missed the whole show I guess; didn't know this was on. Will there be a podcast or answers posted to some of the questions?

Nope....we did it live!

midnight johnny
12-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Thanks Johnny. Great show. Love George and Andy!
Thanks, Victor...much appreciated!

greg jones
12-09-2015, 01:46 AM
Thank You to John, George & Andy for an Amazing show!!!!

Hearing all the background on these projects just makes them that much more special to finally have in our possessions. Am so glad to hear that things are going to continue and there is more to come.

I know that things were rushed with all the questions. After thinking about it, this normally would have 2 shows with 2 releases 1 week apart. So 2 shows were being crammed into 1 3 hour show. Not too shabby as there was a lot of great info and new things to go back to listen to and listen for.

Thank You! Merci Beacoup! Gracias! Danke!
greg jones
los angeles, ca

P.S. John, yes Radio is part of the music business and You do a fantastic job keeping all of us from the 60-80's era in step with the reissues of our faves!

copley
12-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Andy, don't forget my BLINKY question please. Stayed up just to make sure that my PC was actually recording as last time it went AOWL. Thanks. Hi to John, Andy & George from Bonnie Scotland :)

Thanks Andy:)

Mark Desjardines
12-09-2015, 07:52 AM
What a treat to listen in on John's radio show last evening and hear George Solomon and and Skurow share fascinating revelations such as archival tapes that need "baking," Diana Ross owning outright the much talked about Harold Arlen tape masters, Jimmy Webb's first composition being recorded by The Supremes, and the interesting fact that some Motown music archives tapes are stored in a secondary, unrevealed location. Evidently these tapes are the large bulky ones that need "baking."

I did some digging on the net and found several articles on "Baking a Tape." Motown/Universal has to undergo this delicate time taking procedure from time to time, and sometimes the process has to be repeated if the tape isn't handled within a few days time span. For those here interested I have shared a Billboard article from 1999 on this process on the Soulful Detroit topic thread.

I apologize for not framing my question better regarding the funkier to my ears, sax break on "My Favourite Things" that appeared on the "Merry Christmas" album. I have the original mono VINYL record version, and wasn't referring to the mono digital download, but assume that they would be the same. Perhaps the session players were giving John Coltrane a "nod" for his 1959 Atlantic recording of this, which was released in 45 rpm format , very rare for a jazz recording, and made a big impact on AM radio when first released.

johnjeb
12-09-2015, 10:06 AM
... and the interesting fact that some Motown music archives tapes are stored in a secondary, unrevealed location.

Since Andy said he was on the train 4 hours a day I wanted to ask if the vaults were located in Diana's mansion in Greenwich Connecticut!!! hmmm, I wonder lol

Jimi LaLumia
12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Johnny, that was "Song Remains The Same" by Led Zeppelin, NOT "Trampled Underfoot" as I originally stated..great show last night

greg jones
12-09-2015, 11:56 AM
What a treat to listen in on John's radio show last evening and hear George Solomon and and Skurow share fascinating revelations such as archival tapes that need "baking," Diana Ross owning outright the much talked about Harold Arlen tape masters, Jimmy Webb's first composition being recorded by The Supremes, and the interesting fact that some Motown music archives tapes are stored in a secondary, unrevealed location. Evidently these tapes are the large bulky ones that need "baking."

I did some digging on the net and found several articles on "Baking a Tape." Motown/Universal has to undergo this delicate time taking procedure from time to time, and sometimes the process has to be repeated if the tape isn't handled within a few days time span. For those here interested I have shared a Billboard article from 1999 on this process on the Soulful Detroit topic thread.

I apologize for not framing my question better regarding the funkier to my ears, sax break on "My Favourite Things" that appeared on the "Merry Christmas" album. I have the original mono VINYL record version, and wasn't referring to the mono digital download, but assume that they would be the same. Perhaps the session players were giving John Coltrane a "nod" for his 1959 Atlantic recording of this, which was released in 45 rpm format , very rare for a jazz recording, and made a big impact on AM radio when first released.

My 4th cousin was Allen Zentz who originally mastered Diana's Baby It's Me album. I remember hearing from Allen in the early to mid '80's how original multitrack tapes were beginning to change formulation and how upset the industry was that they might be losing what was on some of the multi tracked masters.

I remember hearing that i believe it might have been one of Columbia's engineers stumbled upon the solution of baking the tapes. I remember hearing a lot about it when record companies started reissuing back catalogue on cd in the late '80's. There was a big story on it when Barbra Streisand put together her Just For The Record career history compilation.

It was also around that time of the early '90's that record companies started paying closer attention to how tapes had to be archived and controlled. Billboard and the RIAA did a big research project on master tapes in 1993 that was really fascinating.

The late '90's when the recording industry really started to consolidate is when they started to make big changes to keep these tapes properly. I know that it was big issue for both Universal and Sony and it took many years to implement all these procedures and considering Andy been with Universal for 17 years, he's been right in the middle of it.

Universal is extremely lucky to have Andy to take such good care of their product. I remember hearing horror stories here in Los Angeles when EMI was making the changes here because many people handling their tapes in their department didn't even know who the artists were on the Master Tapes that they were handling. The fact that Andy has such great musical knowledge is why Janie Bradford bestowed that wonderful Heroes and Legends Award on Andy.

One last thing that Andy didn't mention last night besides the baking of tapes is that it also very time consuming to transfer to digital means the multi tracks because the tape machines that play the tapes back are no longer manufactured and they have to resort to special technicians to repair and keep up the original tape machines. The industry readily buys up old machines just to get the parts to keep these tape recorders going.

I doubt very much whether Miss Ross stores her tapes underground at home. I do know that Ms. Streisand has her tapes that she owns stored with the same company that Sony uses and has the people and companies who are well qualified take care of these tapes. These same companies now also do the same thing for the film and television industries heritage as well.

greg jones
los angeles, ca

Mark Desjardines
12-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Greg. thank you for the information you shared above. Fascinating reading! I have a story to share. It was the fall of 1979 and I was living ii L.A. for an extended period. I made my sway to AAA #! Record Finders that used go be located near Melrose and Vine. This company leased a huge warehouse and was basically where you could find almost any record imaginable. It was open to the public and I went in for a look see. Everything was alphabetical and I discovered a first pressing [[thought I didn't know it at the time) of Meet The Supremes with the stool cover that had "The Boy That Got Away" listed. on the back jacket. I was shocked at the $75 price tag! A bargain at that price today.

The place was very crowded with floor to ceiling industrial shelving filled to the brim with vinyl records. The office was close by and the door was open and I overheard two conversations while I was there. The first was a frantic request from A&M Records , A&R Department who had just signed Ethel Merman, and having no idea of what material she had previously recorded wanted a batch of her albums sent over. I now know that was for her "Disco" album that they released with gussied up versions of her hits. LOL!

After all this long preamble Greg, and relating to your post, I also overheard a conversation regarding someone at a small jazz label who had discovered that tapes they had were not usable and asking if AAA had any mint copies of that artist's [[ I forgot who is was) albums in either mono or stereo for a new compilation they were planning. I'll bet many small labels who hadn't given archiving serious thought were shocked to discover the state of their tapes.

greg jones
12-09-2015, 07:16 PM
OK guys, I went through and made a list of all the version and formats:

1965 Original Mono Vinyl
1865 Original Stereo Vinyl
1965 Original Stereo Open Reel [[Ampex)
196? Original Stereo 8-Track [[RCA, then Ampex)
196? Original Steve Cassette [[Ampex)

1978 Natural Resources Vinyl Reissue

1981 Vinyl Reissue [[5000 series)

1986 2-for-1 CD reissue w/Someday At Christmas
1986 CD Remaster
1986 Cassette Remaster

1987 Japanese CD Reissue

1994 PolyGram Special Markets CD w/the Temptations
1994 PolyGram Special Markets Cassette w/the Temptations

1999 Remaster Expanded CD
1999 Spectrum UK Budget CD

2003 Millenium Collection CD

2009 Spectrum UK Budget CD Reissue

2015 Expanded Edition Download

daviddh
12-09-2015, 08:09 PM
yes thank you

daviddh
12-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Johnny, hello I faded out around 11 pm asi I had to get up at 5 am for work, is there a way to hear the last hour????
also thanks for these shows. I love the insight to these shows and the music. I always think 3 hours is too long but it seems we run out of time each time. maybe we could just do a Q and A with Andy one day with out any special release ......thank you

carlo
12-09-2015, 09:52 PM
I missed the show :[[ Sounds like it was a good one. It looks like someone asked earlier in the thread about the booklets for high definition digital downloads. Was this addressed?

greg jones
12-09-2015, 10:10 PM
I missed the show :[[ Sounds like it was a good one. It looks like someone asked earlier in the thread about the booklets for high definition digital downloads. Was this addressed?

Yes it was and Andy answered it. His answer was that most of the hi-def services do not offer booklets or it would be there. He also said if You want it with the hi-ref is to ask for it through the hi-res service. Until they think there's a desire for it, they will then request for them.

jobeterob
12-10-2015, 12:43 AM
John you are a superstar in your own right for these shows!

A shame there is no podcast of this one! So many of us missed it.

Could those of you that listened give us some more highlights?

carlo
12-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Yes it was and Andy answered it. His answer was that most of the hi-def services do not offer booklets or it would be there. He also said if You want it with the hi-ref is to ask for it through the hi-res service. Until they think there's a desire for it, they will then request for them.

Thanks Greg! I use 7Digital and many of the releases on their site do come with PDF booklets, so I guess I will just request it.

midnight johnny
12-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Thank You to John, George & Andy for an Amazing show!!!!

Hearing all the background on these projects just makes them that much more special to finally have in our possessions. Am so glad to hear that things are going to continue and there is more to come.

I know that things were rushed with all the questions. After thinking about it, this normally would have 2 shows with 2 releases 1 week apart. So 2 shows were being crammed into 1 3 hour show. Not too shabby as there was a lot of great info and new things to go back to listen to and listen for.

Thank You! Merci Beacoup! Gracias! Danke!
greg jones
los angeles, ca

P.S. John, yes Radio is part of the music business and You do a fantastic job keeping all of us from the 60-80's era in step with the reissues of our faves!

Greg....thank you a whole lot! Glad you get to listen to the show. You are a wonderful Motown advocate and resource! These shows that I get to do with Andy, George and previously with Harry are some of the most enjoyable things to me. Playing Motown on my show is such a pleasure, but getting to talk about the "real stuff'...the background of the music...what Motown is really made of...is a dream come true. Haaaa....yes, we did end up doing 2 shows of music in one...I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. I'll be airing more of the "Merry Christmas -The Supremes Expanded" during the next 2 weeks with the Christmas/Holiday shows I'll be doing. Hope you can listen in. I'll be playing one of my favorites...a song about Christmas in L.A. by another favorite...Jeffrey Osborne. And once more, Greg...thanks for your kind words...it means a lot!

midnight johnny
12-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Mark...thanks so much, my friend! I really enjoyed that "Baking a Tape" segment, too! I love that stuff! No problem about the sax question...glad you brought it up!

midnight johnny
12-10-2015, 01:28 PM
OK guys, I went through and made a list of all the version and formats:

1965 Original Mono Vinyl
1865 Original Stereo Vinyl
1965 Original Stereo Open Reel [[Ampex)
196? Original Stereo 8-Track [[RCA, then Ampex)
196? Original Steve Cassette [[Ampex)

1978 Natural Resources Vinyl Reissue

1981 Vinyl Reissue [[5000 series)

1986 2-for-1 CD reissue w/Someday At Christmas
1986 CD Remaster
1986 Cassette Remaster

1987 Japanese CD Reissue

1994 PolyGram Special Markets CD w/the Temptations
1994 PolyGram Special Markets Cassette w/the Temptations

1999 Remaster Expanded CD
1999 Spectrum UK Budget CD

2003 Millenium Collection CD

2009 Spectrum UK Budget CD Reissue

2015 Expanded Edition Download

Greg....EIGHTEEN VERSIONS of "Merry Christmas....."!?!" Damnnnnn! You are Super Sleuth!!! I hope Andy saw this!

midnight johnny
12-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Johnny, hello I faded out around 11 pm asi I had to get up at 5 am for work, is there a way to hear the last hour????
also thanks for these shows. I love the insight to these shows and the music. I always think 3 hours is too long but it seems we run out of time each time. maybe we could just do a Q and A with Andy one day with out any special release ......thank you

So we bored you, huh? Hahahah. There's no way to hear the re-airing any time soon, but I will pull it out at some point. I would love to have Andy on just to talk about the music...he knows the show is his anytime he has the time!

midnight johnny
12-10-2015, 01:40 PM
John you are a superstar in your own right for these shows!

A shame there is no podcast of this one! So many of us missed it.

Could those of you that listened give us some more highlights?

Well, thanks, Rob! I do try to post the promo for the show early enough so that folks can know what's coming, and I post it on Facebook too. Sad to not be able to podcast the show...music isn't allowed on the podcasts...which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

midnight johnny
12-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Johnny, that was "Song Remains The Same" by Led Zeppelin, NOT "Trampled Underfoot" as I originally stated..great show last night
Thanks, Jimi....MUCH appreciated...and glad you enjoyed the show!!

midnight johnny
12-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Hi John. What a fabulous show!! Unfortunately, I caught a case of the whisky flu at Happy Hour and will have to miss the show, but I'm recording it so I won't miss it. Catch you next week. Have a great show!!

Hey there, Mike....glad you enjoyed the show!!