12-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Butlins Skegness Late January 2016

http://www.bigweekends.com/the-weekends/legends-of-soul.aspx

marv2
12-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Wow, what a show line up!

REDHOT
12-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Again Mary Wilson is everywhere,she is the hardest working former Supreme.

marv2
12-06-2015, 11:16 PM
Again Mary Wilson is everywhere,she is the hardest working former Supreme.

She is doing it all!

theboyfromxtown
12-07-2015, 05:21 AM
As a Brit, I feel a bit guilty at times. All these wonderful American artists are coming to the UK to perform and you guys in the America are being left out.

It was at Skegness, that the Velvelettes last performed with the Contours and Brenda Holloway back in September.

Bluebrock
12-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Butlins Skegness Late January 2016

http://www.bigweekends.com/the-weekends/legends-of-soul.aspx
This sounds great. It's a quick return to the UK for Mary and I am glad about that because I don't think she did herself justice at the concerts in October. I know she was not 100% at the time but I am sure she will be fighting fit come January. Sheila is wonderful live. I saw her with the Three Degrees many times and I am confident she will still "have it". Thelma is someone whom I have never seen live so I am looking forward to that. Gwen Dickey of Rose Royce and Jaki Graham will also be great I'm sure. Can't wait for this one!!

BigAl
12-07-2015, 08:52 AM
All these wonderful American artists are coming to the UK to perform and you guys in the America are being left out.
Sad but true, but that's because these acts on the whole are MUCH more appreciated and valued more highly in the UK, so it's only to be expected that the "market" will be more receptive there than here. In the US, with the exception of real fans like us, these acts are viewed as little more than oldies attractions, while in the UK they are regarded as the artists and musical innovators which they truly are. I have never understood why this is, but the fact remains that there's much more interest and appreciation across the pond. In some cases it means that these performers must leave the country in order to make a half-decent living. In their place I would do the same.

westgrandboulevard
12-07-2015, 09:38 AM
If there is one, very generalised but essential, significant difference between America and Britain, it would be that we, in the UK/Great Britain, have tended more towards reserve, both in our thought, and our display of overt appreciation and emotion.

It should be noted that this national tendency has steadily changed since the '60s and, most notably, the demeanour of the general public at the time when Diana, Princess of Wales passed away.

There is still quite a strong national tendency to conserve, and to preserve. In other words, we Brits are about tradition.

In contrast, the Americans are seen to be far more innovative, exciting, bustling and concerned about what is current and 'new'. These are qualities for which generations in Britain have long admired the American nation, particularly in the world of popular music and show business, which dwarfs our own.

Motown was, in the 1960s, felt by fans in Britain to be the most exciting, joyful music called Tamla Motown, emanating from Detroit in the States, and is still regarded just as highly to this day.

Motown is now regarded as classic music by the British public, and is held in the highest esteem as an entertainment tradition. The artists are seen as 'family', and regarded as never to be forgotten, old friends.

I'm unable to post a link, but if anyone reading this in the US [[and who is as interested in food as they are Motown!), and is able to view BBC2 iPlayer, check out 'Simply Nigella' [[last in series shown tonight at 8.30pm, UK). If you can, start with Episode 1......

Motown is regularly used in the UK media, shopping malls and precincts, restaurants and coffee houses and, especially, on daytime TV as background music - think Marvelettes, Velvelettes, Temptations, Martha & The Vandellas, etc.. -but I don't believe I have heard quite so much Motown music used anywhere, as in this cooking series.

While there are snippets of other soul and jazz recordings, the incidental music is predominantly Motown. Mostly the instrumental/band track versions have been used, but very often not those of the most familiar, big selling songs which are so well known to the general public.

Nigella Lawson begins each programme, speaking to camera as she walks down the street, accompanied by the opening guitar riff from Stevie's 'For Once In My Life', which immediately sets the tone. ;)

marv2
12-07-2015, 10:05 AM
If there is one, very generalised but essential, significant difference between America and Britain, it would be that we, in the UK/Great Britain, tend more towards reserve, both in our thought and our displays of emotion.

It should be noted that this national tendency has steadily changed since the '60s and, most notably, at the time when Diana, Princess of Wales passed away.

There is still quite a strong national tendency to conserve, and to preserve. In other words, the Brits are more about tradition.

In contrast, the Americans are seen to be far more innovative, exciting, bustling and concerned about what is current and 'new'. These are qualities for which the British have long admired the American nation, particularly in the world of popular music and show business.

What was, in the 1960s, felt in Britain to be the most exciting, joyful music emanating from Detroit in the States, is still regarded just as highly to this day, but now also seen as classic music, and somewhat of a tradition.

I'm unable to post a link, but if anyone reading this in the US [[and who is as interested in food as they are Motown!), and is able to view BBC2 iPlayer, check out 'Simply Nigella' [[last in series shown tonight at 8.30pm, UK). If you can, start with Episode 1......

Motown is regularly used in the UK media, shopping malls and precincts, restaurants and coffee houses and, especially, on daytime TV as background music - think Marvelettes, Temptations, Martha &The Vandellas etc.. -but I don't believe I have heard so much Motown music used anywhere, as in this cooking series.

While there are snippets of other soul and jazz recordings, the incidental music is predominantly Motown. Mostly the instrumental/band track versions have been used, but very often not those of the most familiar, big selling songs the general public knows so well.

Nigella Lawson begins each programme, speaking to camera as she walks down the street, accompanied by the opening guitar riff from Stevie's 'For Once In My Life', which immediately sets the tone. ;)

They played "Stoned Love" twice this year on "Coronation Street" as background music in the Rovers.........hehehehehehehe!

Bluebrock
12-07-2015, 10:22 AM
They played "Stoned Love" twice this year on "Coronation Street" as background music in the Rovers.........hehehehehehehe!

I heard it at least once and there was recently another Motown song being played in the Rovers the name of which currently escapes me.

marv2
12-07-2015, 03:38 PM
In America, most of our artists have a very hard time being heard on a national level. Only the current top flavors of the month. It's sad and disgusting.

BigAl
12-07-2015, 03:47 PM
If there is one, very generalised but essential, significant difference between America and Britain, it would be that we, in the UK/Great Britain, have tended more towards reserve, both in our thought, and our display of overt appreciation and emotion.

Great observations!

I had never much thought about the US being more about here-and-now, while the UK is more about tradition and reverence for it, but it's most definitely true on the whole, with the small exception of a few southeastern states here.

I live in one of those states [[Virginia), and down here we seem to be more aligned with our Brit counterparts. When our beloved Hitsville and related acts play venues in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia, they always sell out, but not elsewhere in the country. Go figure.

In the UK, the genre has its own name: Northern Soul, but here it's really not even categorized.

Funny, that…

detmotownguy
12-07-2015, 07:00 PM
This sounds great. It's a quick return to the UK for Mary and I am glad about that because I don't think she did herself justice at the concerts in October. I know she was not 100% at the time but I am sure she will be fighting fit come January. Sheila is wonderful live. I saw her with the Three Degrees many times and I am confident she will still "have it". Thelma is someone whom I have never seen live so I am looking forward to that. Gwen Dickey of Rose Royce and Jaki Graham will also be great I'm sure. Can't wait for this one!!

Was she sick?

marv2
12-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Was she sick?

I wonder with the heavy schedule she keeps. She had been over there on a press tour prior to going back for the the concerts.

detmotownguy
12-07-2015, 10:50 PM
i dont know how she does it.

marv2
12-08-2015, 02:41 AM
i dont know how she does it.

Vitamins and a good dose of "Supreme Faith"!

marv2
12-08-2015, 02:43 AM
As you probably know, Gwen Dickey is the original lead singer for Rose Royce. They made some excellent records produced by Norman Whitfield for his label.

Bluebrock
12-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Was she sick?

She was certainly "out of sorts". Her voice didn't come over as well as it would normally do. She sounded flat and breathless. I suspect she may have been suffering from a head cold or an infection, but ever the professional she gave it 100% and I have nothing but the utmost respect for her.