12-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

I was playing Oh My Angel Earlier and I wondering was whatever happen to her

nosey
12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Great song, Kevlo.

splanky
12-22-2010, 07:41 AM
KevLo, that is one of my all time favorite ballads and I have seen via the internet that I am not alone in my passion
for that song and Bertha's delivery. Unfortunately in over 3 years of searching I have never been able to find out more
about Bertha, where she was from, where she went other than some mention of her once working with Sly Stone. She's
truly one of those one hit wonders that I wonder why in the hell didn't she have a bigger career...Anyway, I had to
post this link for anyone who never heard the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_DETdz7zA

blueskies
12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
KevLo, that is one of my all time favorite ballads and I have seen via the internet that I am not alone in my passion
for that song and Bertha's delivery. Unfortunately in over 3 years of searching I have never been able to find out more
about Bertha, where she was from, where she went other than some mention of her once working with Sly Stone. She's
truly one of those one hit wonders that I wonder why in the hell didn't she have a bigger career...Anyway, I had to
post this link for anyone who never heard the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_DETdz7zA

Thanks for posting this Splanky! I'd never heard of Bertha Tillman and I really enjoyed this song. A unique voice. Wonder if she recorded enough for a CD?

mark speck
12-22-2010, 11:33 PM
She didn't, but the track is on a CD...the "Birth of Soul, Volume 1" CD from UK Kent. I recommend it and all the volumes in that series.

Best,

Mark

sunshineonacloudyday
12-23-2010, 03:49 AM
From Ruben Molina's, The Old Barrio Guide to Low Rider Music:

Bertha Tillman was working as a department store salesgirl in San Diego when she was discovered by Hank Blackman of J.J. Jackson and the Jackals. Lead singer June Jackson had written "Oh My Angel" and the Jackals were the un-credited group that backed Tillman on this tremendously soulful tearjerker. During the same session the Jackals also recorded as Hank Blackman and the Killers "Everybody Has Someone" [[Brent 7030)

"Oh My Angel" '62/'63 [[Brent 7029) is a favorite of mine, and well-loved among many in California. My [[then) 5 year old nephew sung this song to me over the phone a few Christmases ago...

Also check out Bertha Tillman's "I Wish"