PDA

View Full Version : The Back Covers of The Supremes At The Copa

test

captainjames
12-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Does anyone ever remember why these back covers were different ? I bought one in Illinois and one in Ohio.

Mark Desjardines
12-05-2015, 09:54 PM
I've wondered the same thing. The back liner version with the illustration is the best in my opinion.

captainjames
12-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Maybe Motown thought the first one was too hard to read.

phil
12-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Is it the same text ?

antceleb12
12-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Could it be one cover for the mono release and the other for the stereo? I imagine that they released one cover, redesigned it and released it for the other version.

captainjames
12-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Is it the same text ?

Yes it is the same notes on both LP's.

sup_fan
12-11-2015, 02:58 PM
I believe the back with the drawing was the first one but after the first printing the less cluttered one was used. i'm assuming just for that reason. these were liner notes by Sammy Davis Jr after all, which was a big deal. really added show-biz credibility to the group. so i'm thinking hindsight shortly after the release suggested it would be better to clean it up a bit

now this wouldn't explain why the R&H set has 2 different back photos. there's one in those pale pink dresses with the fur trim with the girls singing and then there's the pic in the gowns with thei arms up in the air, striking a "final pose." i'm guessing that final pose pic was the second version and considered more "ta dah!!!!!!" and exciting than the first one.

captainjames
12-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Oh I think you may be right but I think they should have stayed with the original design.

I believe the back with the drawing was the first one but after the first printing the less cluttered one was used. i'm assuming just for that reason. these were liner notes by Sammy Davis Jr after all, which was a big deal. really added show-biz credibility to the group. so i'm thinking hindsight shortly after the release suggested it would be better to clean it up a bit

now this wouldn't explain why the R&H set has 2 different back photos. there's one in those pale pink dresses with the fur trim with the girls singing and then there's the pic in the gowns with thei arms up in the air, striking a "final pose." i'm guessing that final pose pic was the second version and considered more "ta dah!!!!!!" and exciting than the first one.