PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes' Christmas Album

test

longtimefan
12-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Boo! Hiss! Fans and and other folks who enjoy The Supremes have practically begged for A Go Go expanded. Why on earth do we need another release of the holiday tracks digitally [[December 4th)? Oh, I know: "Follow the money!" This is ridiculous. Personally, I am getting tired of hearing how wonderful Andy, George, and Harry*** are. I know they are great people, but I also know they are employees. Regardless, fans are not getting what they actually want. This Christmas reissued is ridiculous. Let's be honest. !

*** Harry has essentially disappeared from the Boards.

johnny_raven
12-04-2015, 12:05 AM

And I don't blame him ...

It's up on iTunes US, btw.

johnny_raven
12-04-2015, 12:32 AM
And Bethlehem is spelled incorrectly in the booklet ... a few times.

bradsupremes
12-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Boo! Hiss! Fans and and other folks who enjoy The Supremes have practically begged for A Go Go expanded. Why on earth do we need another release of the holiday tracks digitally [[December 4th)? Oh, I know: "Follow the money!" This is ridiculous. Personally, I am getting tired of hearing how wonderful Andy, George, and Harry*** are. I know they are great people, but I also know they are employees. Regardless, fans are not getting what they actually want. This Christmas reissued is ridiculous. Let's be honest. !

Longtimefan, I don't think you know how difficult in getting these releases out there is. Andy, George and Harry don't sit around and make all the executive decisions on what albums they are and aren't going to do, what format it will be released on, the release date, prices, etc. The music industry is a very big and difficult business. An idea or a plan to do something can be put on hold, drastically changed with or without your input or say, go on as planned but without you involved or nixed completely. Put yourself in their shoes. Andy and George are fans just like the rest of us and want to not only put out the best product, but make sure the fans get what we want to hear. Universal may have wanted to release the Supremes' Merry Christmas now. It may not have been high on the list of releases they'd like to do, but it's either not do it at all and all we get are the album mixes OR do the release and give it the expanded treatment. Please don't put the blame on the guys. They're fighting for the fans and Universal is a mighty mountain.

Bluebrock
12-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Longtimefan, I don't think you know how difficult in getting these releases out there is. Andy, George and Harry don't sit around and make all the executive decisions on what albums they are and aren't going to do, what format it will be released on, the release date, prices, etc. The music industry is a very big and difficult business. An idea or a plan to do something can be put on hold, drastically changed with or without your input or say, go on as planned but without you involved or nixed completely. Put yourself in their shoes. Andy and George are fans just like the rest of us and want to not only put out the best product, but make sure the fans get what we want to hear. Universal may have wanted to release the Supremes' Merry Christmas now. It may not have been high on the list of releases they'd like to do, but it's either not do it at all and all we get are the album mixes OR do the release and give it the expanded treatment. Please don't put the blame on the guys. They're fighting for the fans and Universal is a mighty mountain.

very well put bradsupremes. I am totally disillusioned with Universal and I do not blame the guys who do us a great service. What I and many others want is a physical product but we appear to be fighting a losing battle. As far as I am concerned you can stuff your downloads. I know I may be cutting my nose off to spite my face but I really struggle to embrace this new way of accessing music. It is so cold, empty and soulless. I hate it.

carlo
12-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Planning to get the high def FLAC files from 7Digital. I know some here are proponents of these sites. Can you get the booklet from 7Digital, HDtracks, etc, as well? Or is it only on iTunes? As the booklet isn't listed elsewhere as part of the release. This is the same for the previous digital only releases as well. Hoping maybe it just downloads automatically?

Jimi LaLumia
12-04-2015, 08:20 AM
I don't blame the guys for staying off the message boards either..lol

captainjames
12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Uh maybe the Christmas Expanded was released at this time because its the holidays and Christmas is just around the corner.....................you think ???
Perhaps Andy, George and Harry are fans as well......................you think ??

Jimi LaLumia
12-04-2015, 10:58 AM
this project was apparently done, and all the griping certainly helped shut it down.. these are last gasp efforts to keep things alive, the Ross set hitching a ride on The Wiz tv production, and the Supremes set hitching a ride on..duh... Christmas.. if these are well recieved, it may lead to more and physical product.. if they are met by the usual pouting and boo hooing, then you can most likely kiss anything else ever good bye.. and twenty or thirty posters vowing to only buy physical product would elicit laughs at the Universal Xmas parties, if they even bothered to pay attention, which, trust me, they don't..either support or don't support..save the drama for important things in your life

RossHolloway
12-04-2015, 11:03 AM

Have you wrote to the powers that be at Universal/Motown to let them know how you feel?

jobeterob
12-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Andy is on Facebook regularly

Susaye says on Facebook that we need to support and accept the digital releases

We need a more rational and reasonable forum if we are to expect people like that to post here regularly

Bluebrock
12-04-2015, 11:44 AM
this project was apparently done, and all the griping certainly helped shut it down.. these are last gasp efforts to keep things alive, the Ross set hitching a ride on The Wiz tv production, and the Supremes set hitching a ride on..duh... Christmas.. if these are well recieved, it may lead to more and physical product.. if they are met by the usual pouting and boo hooing, then you can most likely kiss anything else ever good bye.. and twenty or thirty posters vowing to only buy physical product would elicit laughs at the Universal Xmas parties, if they even bothered to pay attention, which, trust me, they don't..either support or don't support..save the drama for important things in your life

We don't need you to tell us that Universal do not care about us and they probably do laugh at us who still cherish physical product. We are fully aware of their stance and they are unlikely to change that, but that does not mean that I have to bow down quietly and accept this. If I cannot have it on physical cd I will do without it.

ejluther
12-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Can you get the booklet from 7Digital, HDtracks, etc, as well? Or is it only on iTunes? As the booklet isn't listed elsewhere as part of the release. This is the same for the previous digital only releases as well. Hoping maybe it just downloads automatically?
I wouldn't assume that at all - it's my major gripe with hi-res downloads. For instance, I bought the expanded "Baby, It's Me" from HDTracks but there's no booklet with it so, yes, I bought it again from iTunes to get it. I really loved and supported the project so I didn't mind too much, but it is ridiculous. I'm hoping that sort of thing gets fixed with time. As for this new "Merry Christmas", I'm torn because there's a booklet listed on iTunes, but no booklet listed at 7digital for the 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC tracks [[which I prefer) - I'm going to go to the Facebook page for the releases and ask about the booklet - hopefully I can buy the Hi-Res FLAC tracks and still get the undoubtedly terrific booklet...cheers!

Jimi LaLumia
12-04-2015, 12:19 PM
they laugh at people who makes demands but aren't in a position of power to make those demands.. if 100,00 fans/potential buyers were making noise that would be something else

jobeterob
12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
http://theseconddisc.com/2015/12/04/dreaming-supremes-christmas-expanded-merry-christmas-available-now/

mysterysinger
12-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Hi you guys at Universal - time for a good laugh. I'm with Bluebrock on this.

Not at all upset and not whinging about it though, that's just the way it is with Motown product. But all is not lost, there's the Early EPs vinyl set and the Roy Orbison MGM Years 13 CD box set to spend the money on. Both Universal too I assume. So they still get my money either way and I get the products I really want - win win if you ask me.

Looking forward to more ACE, Soul Music, Culture Factory and Elemental Motown CDs, not to mention more Japanese Motown releases. You pays your money and still get what you want - no problem.

Bluebrock
12-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi you guys at Universal - time for a good laugh. I'm with Bluebrock on this.

Not at all upset and not whinging about it though, that's just the way it is with Motown product. But all is not lost, there's the Early EPs vinyl set and the Roy Orbison MGM Years 13 CD box set to spend the money on. Both Universal too I assume. So they still get my money either way and I get the products I really want - win win if you ask me.

Looking forward to more ACE, Soul Music, Culture Factory and Elemental Motown CDs, not to mention more Japanese Motown releases. You pays your money and still get what you want - no problem.
Thank you mysterysinger - as you rightly point out thank goodness we still have Ace, Soul music.com etc etc. These Companies actually listen to their client lists. Universal could take a leave out of their books but instead display breathtaking arrogance. Shame on them.

RossHolloway
12-04-2015, 03:26 PM
http://theseconddisc.com/2015/12/04/dreaming-supremes-christmas-expanded-merry-christmas-available-now/

Thanks for posting, that's a nice write up.

carlo
12-04-2015, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't assume that at all - it's my major gripe with hi-res downloads. For instance, I bought the expanded "Baby, It's Me" from HDTracks but there's no booklet with it so, yes, I bought it again from iTunes to get it. I really loved and supported the project so I didn't mind too much, but it is ridiculous. I'm hoping that sort of thing gets fixed with time. As for this new "Merry Christmas", I'm torn because there's a booklet listed on iTunes, but no booklet listed at 7digital for the 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC tracks [[which I prefer) - I'm going to go to the Facebook page for the releases and ask about the booklet - hopefully I can buy the Hi-Res FLAC tracks and still get the undoubtedly terrific booklet...cheers!

Thanks ejluther! Please keep me posted. Perhaps I will try inquiring too in regards to having the PDF's made available to these sites. It's strange that they wouldn't be made available when one already has to pay more money for the lossless files. If someone is willing to pay a premium, then I would think everything should be available, including the PDF booklet? Unless there is some sort of licensing issues for the content/photos in the booklets.

antceleb12
12-04-2015, 06:30 PM

Based off of your hasty dismissal of them, its no wonder why they stay off the board.

Look. Andy, George, and Harry are not bigwigs who blindly just release things because of "money." In many big and important ways, they are very much fighting for the same things we are. However, they are in a small minority in the company. The views of Universal are not necessarily that of Andy, George, and Harry. Second, Universal is an incredibly large and complex company. Sadly, "A Go Go," even if bought by all of us, would not yield a large net gain for the company. There would be no profit for all the MANY people involved - from the people directly involved in remastering, to the people in charge of marketing and design, to the manufacturers, to shipping, and to the store owners - large and small - who stock and sell the product. If the money's not there, they can't logically release it. Third, how can you be mad about "Merry Christmas" being remastered? Just because you are aware of the past re-releases [[the last one has been fifteen years ago, I believe), not everyone else is. And of course they're going to release this, considering its Christmas.

Jimi LaLumia
12-04-2015, 06:39 PM
you mentioned 'stores' and that, I believe, was a key problem with all The Supremes expanded editions, including the 70's packages..they were not in record stores, and were not advertised anywhere, just reliant on the on line world, which is nuts..The Beatles re issue special packages and The Beach Boys get into retail stores, why didn't Copa, Symphony, More Hits etc get into the stores? It certainly would have upped the sales/profit picture..maybe something contractual/legal? This non store stocking led to a part of the 'sales' problem that led to the stoppage of physical production, I'm sure

carlo
12-05-2015, 12:07 AM
I don't think I've ever heard the mono version of this fantastic album until tonight. I may have heard it once or twice from a vinyl version I have, but the mono mix is mostly unfamiliar to me since I've played the 1999 CD Reissue all of these years, being someone who did not grow up in the 60's. It's strange that the first two tracks were originally mixed without background vocals and then "Little Drummer Boy" was reverbed to sh*t. lol. Still cool to hear the differences. Also, has anyone ever picked up on Diana faintly talking in the background during "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"? Sounds like studio chatter unintentionally left in. It happens at 1:20.

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
12-05-2015, 02:27 AM
Did anyone else think "Joy To The World" was older than'65? I also thought it sounded like it was recorded in 1962 early 1963.....Just never seemed to fit with the rest of the songs

johnjeb
12-05-2015, 10:24 AM
I don't think I've ever heard the mono version of this fantastic album until tonight. I may have heard it once or twice from a vinyl version I have, but the mono mix is mostly unfamiliar to me since I've played the 1999 CD Reissue all of these years, being someone who did not grow up in the 60's. It's strange that the first two tracks were originally mixed without background vocals and then "Little Drummer Boy" was reverbed to sh*t. lol. Still cool to hear the differences. Also, has anyone ever picked up on Diana faintly talking in the background during "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"? Sounds like studio chatter unintentionally left in. It happens at 1:20.

I received the mono Christmas album, for my 16th birthday, when it was released in 1965.

Hearing the first two songs without background, I thought it was going to be a Diana Ross solo album [[of course, now we know it actually was!)

I did not hear the stereo versions until Motown started to release Christmas compilations with the stereo versions. Radio was still playing the mono album each Christmas.

As for the studio chatter on SCICTT, it sounds like Diana is saying something about her ear or in her ear. Years later when I heard the stereo version I was surprised that the studio chatter was missing.

I prefer the alternate vocals on the mono versions of Twinkle Twinkle Little Me and My Christmas Tree. I also prefer White Christmas and Silver Bells without the background vocals.

ejluther
12-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks ejluther! Please keep me posted. Perhaps I will try inquiring too in regards to having the PDF's made available to these sites.
Will do - I asked about it on the Expanded Editions Facebook page but no answer yet. I found my own compromise this time in that I can stream the hi-res Merry Christmas Expanded Edition via my existing TIDAL subscription, so I bought the Mastered for iTunes version and got the booklet. I suppose enterprising fans could always agree to buy different versions and then share with each other the missing material [[booklet)/other format versions but that seems to be a needless extra step. Perhaps it's as you mentioned and has something to do with specific licensing...

PS: Also, it's long been my understanding that Flo & Mary did none of the background vocals on the original lp and that it's all The Andantes - the booklet skirts this issue [[understandably) but my big question is "Why?" [[if it's true). Did Fuqua just prefer The Andantes? Were Flo & Mary just too tired to participate so they took a much-deserved break? Did/do Flo & Mary still get royalties on records they don't sing on even though they're presented as such? Or is it all a myth and they did sing on it? Personally I don't hear the usual personality and energy they bring so my inclination is that they're not there...

antceleb12
12-05-2015, 04:23 PM
you mentioned 'stores' and that, I believe, was a key problem with all The Supremes expanded editions, including the 70's packages..they were not in record stores, and were not advertised anywhere, just reliant on the on line world, which is nuts..The Beatles re issue special packages and The Beach Boys get into retail stores, why didn't Copa, Symphony, More Hits etc get into the stores? It certainly would have upped the sales/profit picture..maybe something contractual/legal? This non store stocking led to a part of the 'sales' problem that led to the stoppage of physical production, I'm sure

I've actually seen a number of the expanded editions in music stores. Grant it, it was few and far between, but they used to do it. Not sure when they stopped, but I'm sure I know why. The demand for the Supremes in particular is LOW. Go to a used record shop and Beatles and some Beach Boys albums go for sizeable prices. So do the Marvelettes, the Vandellas, etc. But you can get any Supremes album [[with the exception of both versions of "Meet the Supremes") in the 10 cent bin.

antceleb12
12-05-2015, 04:51 PM
What's also great about this release is some of the alternate vocals. For example, both of Flo's tracks [["Silent Night" and "O Holy Night") are not only alternate mixes, but feature slightly different vocals as well.

carlo
12-05-2015, 05:04 PM
What's also great about this release is some of the alternate vocals. For example, both of Flo's tracks [["Silent Night" and "O Holy Night") are not only alternate mixes, but feature slightly different vocals as well.

I didn't know that these tracks have alternate vocals. I will have to go back and listen :)

mwmr
12-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Universal can laugh as much as they want tbh

no physical cd means I won't be buying.

it astounds me that they can be so ignorant to their customers needs.

and if it's down to profit how on earth do the myriad of smaller , and some independent labels, continue to bring us good quality reissues and not go out of business??

shove the digital where the sun don't shine.. Oh and enjoy your laughing universal because when folk stop buying, your shares drop and your bonuses you'll want us then

copley
12-05-2015, 05:39 PM
All I can say is FREE BLINKY FROM THE VAULTS before both she & I pop our clogs!!!!!!

Jimi LaLumia
12-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Merry Christmas Expanded is now on Spotify for your listening pleasure

Mark Desjardines
12-05-2015, 11:41 PM
I plunked down my money and am enjoying The Supremes Merry Christmas Expanded edition as I write this. Two discs worth of music and a nice booklet to boot. Sorry for the members here who are very disappointed in no physical release. Full disclosure: I am a technical ludite downloading from iTunes. I had an ID and password from the last two Supremes/Diana Ross digital downloads which I couldn't remember anything, and gave the poor iTunes online clerk who had to lead me step by step over the phone, no doubt to soak her head in a vat10841 of gin when she gets home this evening. In the end, I got my downloads and all is well this wet and dreary Vancouver evening.

jillfoster
12-06-2015, 02:20 AM

Yep!!! And Flo's leads are a BETTER vocal take, where the hell has THIS been hiding all these years? Now for those who complain about having to buy an entire album over and over again to get a few previously unreleased versions, this is your chance to only buy those few.

jobeterob
12-06-2015, 02:33 AM
It's great to have these things.

Any ideas for what you do with the booklet after you print it? Where do you put it? How do you store it?

Baby It's Me and The Wiz Songs are laying by my window.

antceleb12
12-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Yep!!! And Flo's leads are a BETTER vocal take, where the hell has THIS been hiding all these years? Now for those who complain about having to buy an entire album over and over again to get a few previously unreleased versions, this is your chance to only buy those few.

Jill you're so correct! I loved the ones previously released, but she does sound more controlled on these takes. The differences aren't too drastic, but if you're familiar with the older ones these will be a nice treat!

Jimi LaLumia
12-06-2015, 10:42 AM
stationary stores sell packs of plastic , page size plastic sleeves.. that's where I keep my expanded editions print outs

Mark Desjardines
12-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Jobeterob, I use a mac computer, so "grab" the booklet pages and bring them to iphoto, then I might bump up the colour a bit and crop. I get a digital photo printed up to 5 X 7 as glossy photo by a photo lab and then place the photos in a DVD case, putting the front and back cover art under the plastic sleeve. The CD I burn rests in the DVD case very nicely. Kind of a personal "box set" if you will. Printing the many pages of the Funny Girl booklet cost a bit, but worth it in the end. The Wiz and Christmas booklets are only a few pages so it wasn't so expensive. Hope this helps others on this site with some ideas.

jillfoster
12-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Jobeterob, I use a mac computer, so "grab" the booklet pages and bring them to iphoto, the I might bump up the colour a bit and crop. I get a digital photo printed up to 5 X 7 as glossy photo by a photo lab and then place the photos in a DVD case, putting the front and back cover art under the plastic sleeve. The CD I burn rests in the DVD case very nicely. Kind of a personal "box set" if you will. Printing the many pages of the Funny Girl booklet cost a bit, is worth it in the end. The Wiz and Christmas booklets are only a few pages so it wasn't so expensive. Hope this helps others on this site with some ideas.
Don't confuse him, Mark!!! He's lucky to get his coffeemaker to work!

jillfoster
12-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Jill you're so correct! I loved the ones previously released, but she does sound more controlled on these takes. The differences aren't too drastic, but if you're familiar with the older ones these will be a nice treat!

I think the word is "Polished", her vocals are a bit more polished than the previous ones.

jobeterob
12-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Don't confuse him, Mark!!! He's lucky to get his coffeemaker to work!

Lol! close! The big first step is moving them to iPhoto!

johnjeb
12-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Is there a way I can move them to my partner's mac? He also has a better quality printer.

As a frame of reference I can barely use our coffeemaker. I think I even forgot how to boil water; I usually just put a cup of water in the microwave for my cup of tea.

And to stay on topic:
My partner decided we needed to get into the Christmas spirit. I immediately suggested I would get my Supremes Christmas CD at once.

My ploy worked, he said we should wait until next weekend after my birthday and then he went back to watching football. Peace On Earth, at least for tonight.

jobeterob
12-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Lol we share so many similarities - no wonder we hope for a physical releases!

Mark Desjardines
12-07-2015, 11:26 AM
10845Yes, the bottom line is, if we are all brutally honest with each other, this downloading music business is very complicated, time consuming and frought with anxiety. Full disclosure, I'm retired elementary teacher and about 2/3's into my career, computers were introduced into the curriculum. My school board gave a few "workshops," and somehow expected us older canards to take to this new reality like ducks to water. The old Commodore 64 computers took almost the entire 35 minutes we had in the lab to warm up! Then it was Macs, which were easier to navigate for the pupils. Now happily retired, I learn Mac programs as I need to use them. Music company executives are not too concerned about us, as it is the young who know how to work the music downloading apps. Heck, kindergarten kids now have computer face time and by Grade 3 know way more than me. Let them at it!

Bluebrock
12-07-2015, 11:45 AM

and if it's down to profit how on earth do the myriad of smaller , and some independent labels, continue to bring us good quality reissues and not go out of business??

shove the digital where the sun don't shine.. Oh and enjoy your laughing universal because when folk stop buying, your shares drop and your bonuses you'll want us then

I'm with you friend.

antceleb12
12-07-2015, 05:56 PM

You do realize that the heads at CEO aren't the only ones who have to make money, right? With such a large-scale company, there are MANY people who have to be paid for one singular release. If that release doesn't sell, there is no profit. It's not enough that they break even, but they have to make a margin.

Think about it. There's the cost to produce and remaster. There's the cost of the artwork, the liner notes, the design, the printing. And if you like your two-disc deluxe sets, that's even more expensive. There's merchandising, marketing, shipping and handling. There's also royalties, cost of licensing, advertising...the list goes on. Like any business, not only do they have to recoup the cost of making and distributing the product, but they have to make margin, too. To do that, they have to rely on consumers to help cover those costs. Making a physical product available nationwide - even if only online - is expensive. Now I don't know the numbers, but I can bet you that even with the ardent Supremes fans out there, it would still not be enough to justify the expense.

Why can a local business stay afloat then? There's less middlemen. They're not producing nationwide, but for a smaller market that can cover the costs. Not to mention that many of these reissues are only issued in set quantities.

ejluther
12-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Is there a way I can move them to my partner's mac? He also has a better quality printer.
The PDF of the booklet should be in the same folder as the music files. Within iTunes you right click the booklet/any song from the album and choose "Show in Windows Explorer" and that folder should open right up and there are all the files. Now you can email the PDF or put it on a flash drive or whatever to get it to the other computer.

johnjeb
12-07-2015, 07:29 PM
The PDF of the booklet should be in the same folder as the music files. Within iTunes you right click the booklet/any song from the album and choose "Show in Windows Explorer" and that folder should open right up and there are all the files. Now you can email the PDF or put it on a flash drive or whatever to get it to the other computer.

Thank you. I will forward this to the techie in the household. If that fails I will just buy better quality paper - or "borrow" his! Much appreciated.

jobeterob
12-07-2015, 07:34 PM
No less than Susaye says we need to face the music and accept digital.

There is a reason most of the people producing these generally keep to Facebook.

They would love to give us the physical CD and I would like that too.

But we, here, are of a certain age and a certain ilk and the world generally isn't bending our way anymore.

I'm sure they would love to see more of us support what they are doing and just be generally supportive period.

mysterysinger
12-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah keep buying the vinyl.

floyjoy678
12-07-2015, 08:11 PM
So I took a listen to this album for the first time in a few years and I love Flo's alternate vocal take on "O Holy Night" and I still wonder why it was left off the original album. Is that the Andantes backing her on "Silent Night"? I used to love "Little Bright Star" but didn't find myself loving it too much this time, actually I used to love the whole album but I'm not too keen on it these days. I think the music on some of the songs and the Andantes vocals ruin it. And I've been going into listening to this album knowing it was the Andantes for over 10 years now but I still swear I hear Florence and Mary in the mix of all those many voices on "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", I'm completely convinced that they're just on that one cut.

jobeterob
12-08-2015, 12:22 AM
One of the recent books says the supremes are not on Funny Girl or the Christmas album - but I'm sure they could be here and there

There was a Funny Girl alternate I'm The Greatest Star they were on; there are Stop In The Name of Loves with them and without them

bradsupremes
12-08-2015, 02:00 AM
One of the recent books says the supremes are not on Funny Girl or the Christmas album - but I'm sure they could be here and there

There was a Funny Girl alternate I'm The Greatest Star they were on; there are Stop In The Name of Loves with them and without them

Actually, aside from ''People" and the title track, the Supremes recorded all of the Funny Girl album. For some unknown reason, their vocals were not all used or additional voices were added. The 2014 Mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy sounds so much better than the released album. Take a listen to the new mix of "The Music That Makes Me Dance." Why did Motown mute that beautiful group harmony? Puzzles me...

jobeterob
12-08-2015, 02:32 AM
Actually, aside from ''People" and the title track, the Supremes recorded all of the Funny Girl album. For some unknown reason, their vocals were not all used or additional voices were added. The 2014 Mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy sounds so much better than the released album. Take a listen to the new mix of "The Music That Makes Me Dance." Why did Motown mute that beautiful group harmony? Puzzles me...

I loved that I'm the Greatest Star with them as well.

You know, it was all opinion of the producer; I remember once on here Ralph said "the Andantes were the best". Who knows what it meant? And who knows what different producers thought in the 60's.

The Supremes harmonies were some of the best ever. Supremes as in "not Andantes" or others.

calvin
12-08-2015, 03:18 AM
It seems this expanded edition is available as a lossless download in the US [[7Digital, Pono), but here in the UK I can only find it on iTunes. I'll wait.

Jimi LaLumia
12-08-2015, 11:34 AM
by the time of "Funny Girl" and even before that Gordy seemed to want the "Broadway", tv variety show 'sound' behind the soon to be solo Diana Ross, that apparently was his goal and his decisions, the with Supremes album has a decidedy different sound than the with Andantes album.. he made the move of going in the show bizzy direction tracing all the way back to the 'battle' over including "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" in the 'live' shows.. he had an exact game plan..I, by the way, being a show bizzy guy, enjoy "Funny Girl" in it's released form, as we were in the dark on all this back then, it never dawned on me to think as to why the backup voices sounded like more than two people.. our brains were programmed to think the way Gordy wanted us to think; or, as he said about 'Someday We'll Be Together, 'it's a Supremes record if we say it's a Supremes record"..sort of llike "Yesterday' being a Beatles release when it was only Paul, or"The Ballad Of John and Yoko" when it was only John and Paul

jillfoster
12-08-2015, 03:40 PM
I loved that I'm the Greatest Star with them as well.

You know, it was all opinion of the producer; I remember once on here Ralph said "the Andantes were the best". Who knows what it meant? And who knows what different producers thought in the 60's.

The Supremes harmonies were some of the best ever. Supremes as in "not Andantes" or others.

It means they worked fast and cheap. And some producers like that bland homogonized background sound, others, like me... prefer background vocals with some spice. Nobody else in the industry liked the Andantes sound, because after 1972, they were out of work, while people like Merry Clayton, Darlene Love, Cissy Houston, Madeline Bell, Sunny and Sue, etc. worked CONSTANTLY and were in high demand.

RossHolloway
12-08-2015, 04:18 PM
by the time of "Funny Girl" and even before that Gordy seemed to want the "Broadway", tv variety show 'sound' behind the soon to be solo Diana Ross, that apparently was his goal and his decisions, the with Supremes album has a decidedy different sound than the with Andantes album.. he made the move of going in the show bizzy direction tracing all the way back to the 'battle' over including "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" in the 'live' shows.. he had an exact game plan..I, by the way, being a show bizzy guy, enjoy "Funny Girl" in it's released form, as we were in the dark on all this back then, it never dawned on me to think as to why the backup voices sounded like more than two people.. our brains were programmed to think the way Gordy wanted us to think; or, as he said about 'Someday We'll Be Together, 'it's a Supremes record if we say it's a Supremes record"..sort of llike "Yesterday' being a Beatles release when it was only Paul, or"The Ballad Of John and Yoko" when it was only John and Paul
I don't think that Mr. Gordy ever hid the fact that he wanted his acts to have cross-over appeal and groomed them to perform all over the United States as well as the world. Those acts who bought into Mr. Gordy's vision were also the most successful, I think, and it didn't just include the Supremes.

RossHolloway
12-08-2015, 04:23 PM
It means they worked fast and cheap. And some producers like that bland homogonized background sound, others, like me... prefer background vocals with some spice. Nobody else in the industry liked the Andantes sound, because after 1972, they were out of work, while people like Merry Clayton, Darlene Love, Cissy Houston, Madeline Bell, Sunny and Sue, etc. worked CONSTANTLY and were in high demand.

Yes Jill we all know, you hate the Andantes. Personally I think they were awesome and wish that they recorded more group material of their own. I also think the group members did not want to leave Detroit when Motown left for the West Coast and It had nothing to do with their vocal abilities, plus I trust the musical talent and ears of Berry Gordy and the many many producers who used the Andantes for background vocals over some random person with no music resume typing on a blog. So there's that..

antceleb12
12-08-2015, 06:47 PM
So I took a listen to this album for the first time in a few years and I love Flo's alternate vocal take on "O Holy Night" and I still wonder why it was left off the original album. Is that the Andantes backing her on "Silent Night"? I used to love "Little Bright Star" but didn't find myself loving it too much this time, actually I used to love the whole album but I'm not too keen on it these days. I think the music on some of the songs and the Andantes vocals ruin it. And I've been going into listening to this album knowing it was the Andantes for over 10 years now but I still swear I hear Florence and Mary in the mix of all those many voices on "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", I'm completely convinced that they're just on that one cut.

Yes, I agree. I could always swear I heard at least Flo on "Santa Clause..."

Bluebrock
12-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Yes Jill we all know, you hate the Andantes. Personally I think they were awesome and wish that they recorded more group material of their own. I also think the group members did not want to leave Detroit when Motown left for the West Coast and It had nothing to do with their vocal abilities, plus I trust the musical talent and ears of Berry Gordy and the many many producers who used the Andantes for background vocals over some random person with no music resume typing on a blog. So there's that..

I loved them too and would have loved to have heard them sing more material in their own right.

762rob
12-09-2015, 07:21 AM
I have a lot of trouble with iTunes not recognizing my computer and not letting me download after purchases, and I am on a MacBook pro, an Apple product! I can usually get it to work after awhile, but the hassle factor is very high.

I plunked down my money and am enjoying The Supremes Merry Christmas Expanded edition as I write this. Two discs worth of music and a nice booklet to boot. Sorry for the members here who are very disappointed in no physical release. Full disclosure: I am a technical ludite downloading from iTunes. I had an ID and password from the last two Supremes/Diana Ross digital downloads which I couldn't remember anything, and gave the poor iTunes online clerk who had to lead me step by step over the phone, no doubt to soak her head in a vat10841 of gin when she gets home this evening. In the end, I got my downloads and all is well this wet and dreary Vancouver evening.

thommg
12-09-2015, 11:42 AM
While I like the Mono album, I still prefer the Stereo. I have reordered my tracks into one cd with the Stereo album, then the additional cuts, then the mono album. This provides me with a much longer Christmas album before I rehear the original songs in Mono. This pleases me! :D

johnjeb
12-09-2015, 12:49 PM
While I like the Mono album, I still prefer the Stereo. I have reordered my tracks into one cd with the Stereo album, then the additional cuts, then the mono album. This provides me with a much longer Christmas album before I rehear the original songs in Mono. This pleases me! :D

I'll do just the opposite.

Since I had the mono album about 10 years before I got the stereo album I prefer the mono versions, especially White Christmas, Silver Bells, [[no backgrounds on those) My Christmas Tree and Twinkle Twinkle Little Me [[both with alternate vocals). I don't notice too much of a difference in all the other songs, except for the studio chatter on Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.

I will omit the stereo versions since I have them on the 1999 release. I will keep just the mono versions and the additional tracks. I've already done this years ago onto a CD-R from vinyl but now that I have the digital remasters I will have a nice new copy.

thommg
12-09-2015, 03:07 PM
I'll do just the opposite.

Since I had the mono album about 10 years before I got the stereo album I prefer the mono versions, especially White Christmas, Silver Bells, [[no backgrounds on those) My Christmas Tree and Twinkle Twinkle Little Me [[both with alternate vocals).

They say you always remember your first! That would explain my love for the stereo and yours for the mono. I guess we just get used to hearing things a certain way and when we don't hear it we decide it's not a good as what we remember.

jobeterob
12-09-2015, 03:09 PM
I feel disloyal but I haven't bought this yet!!

calvin
12-09-2015, 03:39 PM
It seems this expanded edition is available as a lossless download in the US [[7Digital, Pono), but here in the UK I can only find it on iTunes. I'll wait.

Now it's available as a lossless download in the UK from 7Digital. The pdf booklet comes with the album download, it's listed at the bottom after all the songs. [[I haven't bought this yet.)

https://www.7digital.com/artist/the-supremes/release/merry-christmas-4978266/

johnjeb
12-09-2015, 03:49 PM
They say you always remember your first! That would explain my love for the stereo and yours for the mono. I guess we just get used to hearing things a certain way and when we don't hear it we decide it's not a good as what we remember.

Yes, in most cases the first is always the favored experience!!!

Of course, I've had the stereo album on CD for almost 30 years, so those versions are almost more familiar than the mono versions. But I am the most satisfied when I hear the mono versions.

I didn't transfer the mono vinyl to CD-R until 15 years ago. At least once during the holidays, I clean the dust off the turntable dust-cover and play the mono vinyl, [[except this year my turntable is at the repair shop - from lack of use, I was told) but then I mostly play the stereo CD. The mono CD-R I play infrequently fearing I would damage or lose it. Now I can play frisbee with it or use it as a coaster, I feel liberated now that I have the mono download!

johnjeb
12-09-2015, 04:03 PM
I feel disloyal but I haven't bought this yet!!

For most this isn't a "must-have". Of all their albums this is the one I wanted in mono the most, so it was a no-brainer for me, although I would have preferred a CD.

I hear that for the Sam Cooke and Country-Western albums there are noticeable differences between the mono and stereo albums. Although, I have both albums in both formats I have not played them back-to-back to check. Maybe I'll do that in 2016 now that I'm retired.

I bought the downloads for Merry Christmas and The Wiz to deplete an iTunes Gift Card I've had for about 7 years. Time will tell if I continue to buy downloads. Although, after the fact, I was told I could have used the card to buy apps for my new iPhone. DOH!!!

mysterysinger
12-09-2015, 10:06 PM
As an idea, the good people at Universal could make a recording of themselves laughing at the people who won't buy anything only physical product. It could be given free as part of a future download package but if they want the intended recipients of the laughter to hear it, they would have to release it as a CD or on vinyl. Who knows, an up-tempo version might go big on the Northern scene.

jobeterob
12-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Is the booklet good?

sansradio
12-10-2015, 09:14 PM
I've just downloaded this with my birthday iTunes gift card; will sound off when I get the chance to listen.

Methuselah2
12-10-2015, 10:39 PM
I plunked down my money and am enjoying The Supremes Merry Christmas Expanded edition as I write this. Two discs worth of music and a nice booklet to boot. Sorry for the members here who are very disappointed in no physical release. Full disclosure: I am a technical ludite downloading from iTunes. I had an ID and password from the last two Supremes/Diana Ross digital downloads which I couldn't remember anything, and gave the poor iTunes online clerk who had to lead me step by step over the phone, no doubt to soak her head in a vat

of gin when she gets home this evening. In the end, I got my downloads and all is well this wet and dreary Vancouver evening.

Mark - Is this photo from the booklet you mention? It's really beautiful. I've seen it before but only in a black & white print. So glad to see this great, eye-catching version of it now. Many thanks.

sup_fan
12-11-2015, 02:54 PM
in regards to Funny Girl and other recordings, I think Gordy and team wanted a fuller sound than you can make with only 3 singers. of course they could have done layer vocals, like Di's lead on You Keep Me Hanging On. but i'm guessing time and effort made it easier to just grab the Andantes and fill it out. it might be in the FG booklet where there's an interview with Jules and he wanted it live, in front of an orchestra and just the 3 girls. Motown felt differently.

same goes for Country Western & Pop. if you go onto Amazon and download the Motown Unreleased 1963, there are 4 or so CW&P tracks there. the andantes aren't on these and you can hear just the Sups. very nice. also a very different sound. in the actual final release, the andantes are very subtly mixed into the background and just fill the sound out nicely. if you're just an avg fan or music buyer, having that come through your speakers might be a little nicer. not as pure but the sound id bigger and more vibrant

again, keep in mind Gordy's goal was record sales. not necessarily leaving a historical legacy

captainjames
12-13-2015, 12:24 PM
What the Supremes had and brought to Motown was that 4 girl harmony. That full sound in the background of all the Supremes. When Betty and Barbara left and was not replaced the girls were still FANTASTIC but one ingredient was left out in the studio. This is why Diana is on the background of some of the songs and why Jean even recorded some of the backgrounds as well. Again its my opinion. So instead of just adding just one more voice the producers recorded the Andantes of three or four sometimes background singers. This was the Motown Sound.

jobeterob
12-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Interesting captain; people always ask what it is

daviddh
12-15-2015, 11:08 PM
does anyone know if the Merry Christmas cd charted this week on Billboard charts. i know many expected it to do so, hopefully

jobeterob
12-16-2015, 01:20 AM
Not that I saw at least not on the portion published on line

The only motown Christmas cd on the charts is the temptations Christmas cd; perhaps next week

dvdmike
12-18-2015, 12:09 AM
The Supremes "Merry Christmas" album's instrumental tracks were recorded at Sunset Sound Studios in Hollywood in August 1965, with the Supremes' vocals cut at Hitsville in Detroit in early September. The arrangers included Gil Askey and Ernie Freeman.

antceleb12
12-18-2015, 06:36 PM
What the Supremes had and brought to Motown was that 4 girl harmony. That full sound in the background of all the Supremes. When Betty and Barbara left and was not replaced the girls were still FANTASTIC but one ingredient was left out in the studio. This is why Diana is on the background of some of the songs and why Jean even recorded some of the backgrounds as well. Again its my opinion. So instead of just adding just one more voice the producers recorded the Andantes of three or four sometimes background singers. This was the Motown Sound.

Do you know which songs Diana did double duty on? I'm pretty sure "Long Gone Lover" and "Things Are Changing" have Diana on both background and lead, but what else?

floyjoy678
12-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Diana is definitely in the background of Long Gone Lover. She is also on the background for You Bring Back Memories where she blends perfectly with Florence. I wished that Diana actually did the backgrounds for when the other Supremes did the leads, well Mary actually. It seems after Ain't That Good News she never did the backgrounds. Come and Get These Memories sound like Flo and Mary back there and then Can't Take My Eyes Off You sound like Cindy and Mary.

blackguy69
12-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Diana did do backgrounds on can't take my eyes off of you.

sup_fan
12-19-2015, 07:11 PM
the andantes did background on Can't Take My Eyes off of you

Diana is on background for Sunset, Long Gone Lover, Breathtaking Guy, buttered popcorn and some of the other Meet Sup tracks, Ain't That Good News, Falling In Love With Love, People, I Saw Him Standing There,

jobeterob
12-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Both Diana and the andantes?

Mark Desjardines
12-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Methuselah2 [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/member.php?2042-Methuselah2), yes the colour photo I posted on this thread that you asked about, is from the booklet available on iTunes.

daviddh
12-20-2015, 11:52 AM
I do prefer the stereo versions of these songs

REDHOT
12-20-2015, 02:35 PM
How many time are they gonna release The Supremes Christmas Album ? i would have liked Mary Wilson's first solo album,over this.

carlo
12-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Yes, would love Mary's first solo album with bonus tracks, but preferably on CD :)

Methuselah2
12-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Methuselah2 [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/member.php?2042-Methuselah2), yes the colour photo I posted on this thread that you asked about, is from the booklet available on iTunes.

Thanks Mark.

REDHOT
12-21-2015, 04:27 AM
I'm with you Carlo,i want Mary Wilson's first solo album,on Motown,with bonus tracks also,sorry but i never liked The Supremes Christmas album.

marv2
12-21-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm with you Carlo,i want Mary Wilson's first solo album,on Motown,with bonus tracks also,sorry but i never liked The Supremes Christmas album.

It would be great to finally have debut solo album with bonus tracks and a few remixes would be excellent. After 50 year, I think anyone that still wants the Supremes Merry Christmas album should have it.

Bluebrock
12-21-2015, 11:25 AM

No need to apologise Redhot. We are all entitled to our opinion.
Personally speaking it remains one of my favourite holiday albums and always gets a spin in the Bluebrock household at this time of year.