PDA

View Full Version : A Life In Song: A Tribute To Burt Bacharach

test

mr soul
12-02-2015, 03:37 PM
I watched this show the other night as I've always loved Burt's music, however, I was surprised by the absolutely stunning performance of "In Between The Heartaches" by Joss Stone about 34 minutes into the show. Anyone else catch it and do you agree?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06qnnbz/burt-bacharach-a-life-in-song

marv2
12-02-2015, 04:00 PM
I saw that too. It is a great show and tribute to one of the 20th Century's greatest songwriters!

mr_june
12-02-2015, 04:05 PM
I Couldn't get it to play at work. Who else was on the show and what did Burt play if he was present?

snakepit
12-02-2015, 04:05 PM
I've recorded it.....was a bit wary of the songs included, as like you, I love BB and HD songs, particularly the early Lou Johnson and Dionne Warwick. "In between the heartaches" is one of my favourites...

mr soul
12-02-2015, 04:34 PM
As I said I enjoyed the show if not all the performances, stand out for me was Joss Stone & my wife liked Shaun Escoffery's Luther Vandross inspired version of A House Is Not A Home.
The show went like this:
Walk On By & I Say A Little Prayer - Rebecca Ferguson
Do You Know The Way To San Jose - Laura Mvula
What The World Needs Now - Justin Hayward
Windows Of The World - Michael Kiwanuka
I'll Never Fall In Love Again & [They Long To Be] Close To You - Sophie Ellis Bexter
If I Could Go Back - Alfie Boa
A House Is Not A Home - Shaun Escoffery
That's What Friends Are For - Entire Cast
Burt did a selection from the Movies in between chats about his career.

alanh
12-03-2015, 05:26 AM
I always feel a little uneasy about these tribute type shows when the 'legend' is present as current artistes perform their songs. Generally a few performances are good, most are average and some are pretty poor. I wonder what the 'legend' really feels even though they have to look like they are enjoying the event.

In this case l found most performances were fair. Joss Stone certainly put a lot of effort and passion into the song, but I'm afraid I found her slightly too 'waily' and I couldn't hear the words clearly enough. Sean Escoffery was superb. No-one has mentioned the best performance of the night - it was by one of Burt's own singers Josie James who sang a solo version of Anyone Who Had A Heart. Absolutely stunning and one of the best versions I have ever heard. The audience gave her a standing ovation and to my mind she got the best reaction of the evening apart from for Burt himself.

Bluebrock
12-03-2015, 07:23 AM
This was recorded in London and broadcast in the UK last month. I was most impressed with the performers many of whom are probably not very well known outside of the UK. Glad you appreciated it.

mr soul
12-03-2015, 08:50 AM
alanh...that's the great thing about music we all see & hear a performance differently, "Anyone Who Had A Heart" for the most part sounded weak until near the end & A House Is Not A Home" was fair, however I had to play Luther's version after.

mr_june
12-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Will this show make it's way to the states?

Bluebrock
12-03-2015, 11:28 AM
alanh...that's the great thing about music we all see & hear a performance differently, "Anyone Who Had A Heart" for the most part sounded weak until near the end & A House Is Not A Home" was fair, however I had to play Luther's version after.
Nobody but nobody could follow Luther but Shaun Escoffery is a fine vocal talent and his latest album is a strong effort which is well a listen. I enjoyed the show far more than expected.

mr soul
12-03-2015, 02:08 PM
mr june...I don't think it will make it's way to the states, unless BBC issue it as a DVD.

Sotosound
12-04-2015, 10:23 AM
I saw part of the show.

I'm not sure that I liked Michael Grade as an interviewer.

I did enjoy Rebecca Ferguson's performance of the original arrangement of "I Say A Little Prayer".

I was shocked, however, when Burt described how, in his view, they dropped the ball with the original Dionne version of "Windows Of The World".

Burt felt that it was too fast and also that it would have benefitted from a sparser arrangement.

For me, however, Dionne's version is the best version I've ever heard and it puts across the sadness and world weariness in the lyrics soooo well.

So we then got Michael Kiwanuka performing the song very slowly against very sparse backing and, to me, he looked more nervous and bewildered than anything else.

If he'd done the original version then I wouldn't have "gotten it" at all.

Sorry Burt, but I think that this is one case where hindsight isn't 20/20 vision.

I changed channels after that.

Bluebrock
12-04-2015, 10:50 AM
I saw part of the show.

I'm not sure that I liked Michael Grade as an interviewer.

I did enjoy Rebecca Ferguson's performance of the original arrangement of "I Say A Little Prayer".

I was shocked, however, when Burt described how, in his view, they dropped the ball with the original Dionne version of "Windows Of The World".

Burt felt that it was too fast and also that it would have benefitted from a sparser arrangement.

For me, however, Dionne's version is the best version I've ever heard and it puts across the sadness and world weariness in the lyrics soooo well.

So we then got Michael Kiwanuka performing the song very slowly against very sparse backing and, to me, he looked more nervous and bewildered than anything else.

If he'd done the original version then I wouldn't have "gotten it" at all.

Sorry Burt, but I think that this is one case where hindsight isn't 20/20 vision.

I changed channels after that.

I agree that Dionne's version of "wotw" is the best by far. No-one could interpret B&D like Dionne.

However I do think you should have seen out the show...........

snakepit
12-06-2015, 11:08 AM
I was worried that the versions presented would 'annoy' me..sorry to say that they did but that probably says more about me than the artists . I had to hit the forward button .
Also the interview bit was heavily edited....frustrating all round.
Will dig out the early DW albums to clear my head.

alanh
12-10-2015, 06:29 AM
For Bacharach fans there'll be a longer, more in depth and more informed interview with Burt by Paul Gambaccini on BBC Radio 2 on New Year's Eve, from midday - 2pm - 'What The World Needs Now........Is Burt Bacharach'. The programme also includes records plus 'new acoustic interpretations' by Kyle Riabko who's in the London stage show 'Close To You: Burt Bacharach Reimagined'.

mr_june
12-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Ok and thanks.