PDA

View Full Version : My Ike & Tina Turner Review Memories

test

Mark Desjardines
11-28-2015, 05:50 PM
In response to CaptainJames and Marv2's requests for my recollections of the Ike & Turner Review here goes. It was the fall of 1976 in Edmonton, Alberta, a Canadian city far enough north, that most R&B groups would have never considered braving the elements to perform. So the Ike & Tina Review performing at the Edmonton Gardens venue was a big deal indeed , and as a 26 year old, I was very excited to be able to experience one of my soul music idols live, the others being Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross. Armed with my camera, I had hoped to get a good photo or two. For some reason I had brought a small photograph of a beat up vintage Model T automobile hulk I had won a 2nd place ribbon for at a local photo show to give to Ike & Tina as a gift from me in "appreciation" for their brand of funk.

As the review got going and Tina performed her dramatic rendition of "I've Been Loving You Too Long [[To Stop Now), I climbed down from my bleacher seat and brazenly knelt under the stage directly below her and snapped a few quick 35 mm photos. It wasn't till later when they were developed that the one in focus caught something I wasn't supposed to see. Tina was wearing sheer pantyhose with no underwear. At the time I was so shocked that I only let a few close pals view what I had captured on film. I certainly would not have shopped my erotic photo, and certainly no fan at the time had any clue to the beatings Tina was being subjected to.

Near the end of the show, Ike threw out some "party invitations" to a party at the Chateau Lacombe Hotel where the band was staying. I picked one up and thought I'd pop in for a look see. At the Hotel I got into the elevator and pressed the 21st floor to the party. I went up and then for some reason the elevator started to go back down to the lobby. A rather exhausted Tina stepped in and turned her back on me. It took me about 10 floors to get my composure together to say, "That as a fine set Tina." "Thank you." she growled in that distinctive voice, not turning back. It wasn't till after she got off the elevator and the doors closed that I remembered I had the photograph and card for her.

After arriving at the party suite and assessing quickly it was the band and a whole lot of groupies, I heard someone shout out the "N" word, and I got the hell out of there very quickly. I believe the next day a newspaper item reported on a fracas in the hotel room.

A few years later, Much Music, Canada's version of MTV featured Tina being interviewed. She had left Ike and was starting to make a huge solo career for herself. The VJ asked her about her Buddhist involvement and Tina gave an impromptu demonstration of her chanting. On a rebroadcast of that segment, I had my VCR set to record it and transferred it to cassette tape and eventually to a CD disk.

My last story is perhaps my favourite. I was in Los Angeles when a dear Hispanic friend who since passed away, suggested we have lunch at at hole in the wall Soul Food Restaurant in a strip mall. We ordered our meal, the only non African-American customers, and all of a sudden, I heard this loud voice from across the room shout out, "Hey you white boy, how'd you hear about this place?" Knowing full well the voice was addressing me, I turned around and said, "I'm from Canada and never tasted this kind of food before." Before you could say "boo," a very attractive woman of indeterminable age, very well dressed in a pant suit and white boots stood over me and asked "What city you from?" "Vancouver, I stated." She smiled from ear to ear and stated, "I played there once when I was in the Ike & Tina Review," and to dispel any doubts I might have had to her claim, began to demonstrate some of her elaborate dance moves. I can state here with upmost confidence that I did indeed meet an official Ikette!

In my numerous yearly outings to Los Angeles, even to this day, I have had the most fantastic encounters with people. My good luck charm is to look people directly in the eye and be open to whatever, and believe me, I have never been disappointed! Hope my memories bring a smile to you guys!

marv2
11-28-2015, 06:09 PM
See you have some of the best stories! LOL! I love it!

marv2
11-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Tina didn't sound too friendly. Was Ike the life of the party?

soulwally
11-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Saw the revue at the Imperial Ballroom, Nelson, Lancs [[UK) in 1967 or 68. First time I had seen strobe lighting as Tina and the Ikettes did their dance thang. Wow, what a show.
Can you spot me in the queue?!!

Mark Desjardines
11-28-2015, 07:13 PM
marv2, I have to say that Tina looked totally exhausted when she got on the elevator by herself. I wasn't even sure I should disturb her, and was thrilled that she responded, however impersonally. As for Ike, he hadn't shown up at the hospitality suite while I was there, but his band, randy lot that they were, up for a night of debauchery, with or without their group leader. Seeing the writing on the wall I beat a very hasty exit.

By the way, Tina really poured on the sexy routine with the microphone while performing the Otis Redding tune. It was my impression she went through the motions at the peril of Ike's wrath if she didn't. To my knowledge that is a song she has never performed again after making her getaway from Ike, and speaking for myself, knowing what I know now, wouldn't want her to.

marv2
11-28-2015, 07:19 PM
marv2, I have to say that Tina looked totally exhausted when she got on the elevator by herself. I wasn't even sure I should disturb her, and was thrilled that she responded, however impersonally. As for Ike, he hadn't shown up at the hospitality suite while I was there, but his band, randy lot that they were, up for a night of debauchery, with or without their group leader. Seeing the writing on the wall I beat a very hasty exit.

By the way, Tina really poured on the sexy routine with the microphone while performing the Otis Redding tune. It was my impression she went through the motions at the peril of Ike's wrath if she didn't. To my knowledge that is a song she has never performed again after making her getaway from Ike, and speaking for myself, knowing what I know now, wouldn't want her to.

It's been my understanding that she really was not scared of Ike and did her own share of hell-raising.

rrussi
11-29-2015, 09:34 AM
I first saw Ike & Tina in the summer of '71 at a place called Pirates' World in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. It was right when their double lp What You Hear Is What You Get had just been released. They basically performed the whole album with a few surprises like River Deep, Mt. High. Their shows were on a Fri. and Sat. night in July and we went both nights. Saw them a few more times over the next few years until the split and then of course saw Tina many times at the height of her career. I didn't meet either of them but my brother did. I did meet the Ikette Esther "Bills"Jones. Their show was great,but before Tina left Ike, the show got a little too predictable.

midnightman
11-29-2015, 06:50 PM
Tina was probably upset at the ish she was forced to do at the time. Around 1976, it had gotten boring, stale and routine. I understand Tina was too upset, I probably would've been too, plus she was stressed out from being around Ike 24-7! Glad she left when she did.

marv2
11-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Tina was probably upset at the ish she was forced to do at the time. Around 1976, it had gotten boring, stale and routine. I understand Tina was too upset, I probably would've been too, plus she was stressed out from being around Ike 24-7! Glad she left when she did.

I think we can all agree that it was a good thing she started a solo career. We all reaped the rewards!

antceleb12
11-29-2015, 09:24 PM
I first saw Ike & Tina in the summer of '71 at a place called Pirates' World in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. It was right when their double lp What You Hear Is What You Get had just been released. They basically performed the whole album with a few surprises like River Deep, Mt. High. Their shows were on a Fri. and Sat. night in July and we went both nights. Saw them a few more times over the next few years until the split and then of course saw Tina many times at the height of her career. I didn't meet either of them but my brother did. I did meet the Ikette Esther "Bills"Jones. Their show was great,but before Tina left Ike, the show got a little too predictable.

I'm intrigued by why they added "River Deep" to their set. To my knowledge, didn't it completely bomb when released? Don't get me wrong. It's one of my favorite Spector records, but what prompted them to put something that failed into their routine? Unless it was a hit in smaller circles...?

reese
11-29-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm intrigued by why they added "River Deep" to their set. To my knowledge, didn't it completely bomb when released? Don't get me wrong. It's one of my favorite Spector records, but what prompted them to put something that failed into their routine? Unless it was a hit in smaller circles...?

It was a big hit in the UK, and was a song that both Ike and Tina liked. After they recorded it, I gather it must have been in and out of the act, as I've seen video of them singing it on everything from the Smothers Brothers tv series to the SOUL TO SOUL motion picture.

rrussi
11-30-2015, 08:43 AM
I had a CD of them performing in, I think Australia, from 1971, which is the year I saw them, and they do River Deep on this DVD, which is what I meant, not CD. A Love Like Yours is included on the What You Hear lp too, but wasn't a hit either. But the Spector album did well in Europe, I think. I know River Deep did.

midnightman
11-30-2015, 05:48 PM
I think we can all agree that it was a good thing she started a solo career. We all reaped the rewards!

Most definitely... Private Dancer is still a classic album btw...

midnightman
11-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Both Tina and Ike claim the record failed because black audiences couldn't relate to it and pop radio didn't know how to respond to it [[or it could've been because Phil Spector was over saturating the market at the time and they were done with him as the Beatles and Beach Boys went psychedelic, Dylan went electric and Motown of course was doing their thing). Who knows? It was a huge overseas hit though. Not just the UK but I think in Ireland and Australia too...

midnightman
11-30-2015, 05:52 PM
I had a CD of them performing in, I think Australia, from 1971, which is the year I saw them, and they do River Deep on this DVD, which is what I meant, not CD. A Love Like Yours is included on the What You Hear lp too, but wasn't a hit either. But the Spector album did well in Europe, I think. I know River Deep did.

A Love Like Yours was a big European hit so it was a regular song on their repertoire after its release [[of course, like River Deep, Ike & Tina gave it an R&B makeover during concerts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JcrW_yV4P0

thommg
12-01-2015, 12:09 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing The Ike & Tina Turner Revue at University of Maryland's Cole Field House on March 19. 1972. I was a month away from turning 16. My mother drove me to the campus to get the tickets and then drove my friend and I to see the show. We had seated tickets, not floor seats, but a friend of my family was ushering and he let us down onto the floor. We rushed towards the front of the stage. The opening act was a rock band named Babe. They were pretty bad and people just kept screaming out, "Bring on Tina! Bring out Tina!" They cut their set short and we had an intermission. When the show started again, Ike was introduced and he introduced the Ikettes who did a couple of songs. The crowd kept chanting, "Bring out Tina!" I mean, they were getting crazy! I was sitting on the floor behind a woman with a huge afro that I had trouble seeing around. We were so crowded that I couldn't really move over to see around her. When Tina came out, people just jumped up, screaming. The woman in front of me didn't move so I stood up like others around me. Now, there was room on the floor as people were pushing towards the stage. My friend said, Let's move up," so we joined the crowd swarming the stage. All this time, Tina was singing but I couldn't tell you what it was! We eventually moved to the side of the stage and watched from the wings, then moved around to the back of the stage. No one stopped us - no security like you have now! We were watching the show from behind. Tina stopped singing and told everyone they needed to sit down, that she wasn't going to sing and they couldn't do the show unless everyone sat down. My friend and I looked at each other and realized where we were. We rushed to the opposite side of the stage and up into the empty seats on the side. We watched the entire show from there. I only remember Proud Mary, Ooh Pooh Pah Doo and, I think, Get Back. They also did I've Been Loving You Too Long which was just an incredible performance. Tina was brilliant. I liked the interplay between Tina & Ike throughout the show. We had a great time, they really knew how to put on a show.

MIKEW-UK
12-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Some great memories posted in this thread. I always loved watching the Ikettes, had no idea there had been so many and that some Motown/ Invictus connections were there.... if the list is correct. I had no idea at all that Brenda Holloway and Patrice were members of The Ikettes.... wonder if that is actually the case. [[from wikipedia so may be errors)

Jo Armstead [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Armstead) [[1960–c.1964)
P. P. Arnold [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._P._Arnold)
Bonnie Bramlett [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Bramlett)
Esther Jones "Longest running Ikette" [[died in 2006)
Stonye Figueroa [[1969-1974) & 1998 present AKA Barbara Cook) The Ed Sullivan Show 1970 and Don Kristners Rock Concert 1974: 20 Feet From Stardom
Alesia Butler [[1972-1974)Performed on "Midnight Special [[1972) The Johnny Carson Show and Burns & Schreiber Comedy Hour
Jean Brown [1] [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ikettes#cite_note-1)
Denise Ferri
Mary Brown
Linda Shuford Jones [[1972-74) On the cover of Īkettes [[G)old and New" Album [[Left) 20FT from stardom, Johnny Carson. Midnight Special, Dick Cavett
Jean Burks
Shelly Clark [[member of Honey Cone [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Cone))
Shirley Alexander [[aka Shirley Butler) 1969-1971
Yolanda Goodwin
Martha Graham
Vera Hamilton [[died August 31, 2013)
Eloise Hester
Brenda Holloway [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Holloway)
Patrice Holloway [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrice_Holloway)
Janice Singleton
Delores Johnson

Claudia Lennear [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Lennear)
Charlotte Lewis
Maxayn [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxayn) Lewis aka Paulette Parker [[artist/background vocalist)
Robbie Montgomery [[successful restaurateur and star of the reality series Welcome to Sweetie Pie's [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Sweetie_Pie%27s))
Pat Powdrill [[died in 1996)
Edna Lejeune Richardson
Vermettya Royster [[also member of the Clara Ward Singers, the Raelets, New Spirit & lead singer of Sisters Love)
Diane Rutherford-Swann
Gloria Scott
Linda Sims Cover of "Ikettes [[G)old and New"album [[Right) - Twenty feet from Stardom
Jessie Smith
Rose Smith
Jackie Stanton
Marquentta Tinsley
[[Margaret) Ann Thomas
Marcy Thomas
Adrienne Williams
Carlena "Flora" Williams
Debbie Wilson Cover of "Ikettes [[G)old and new" album [[center) Twenty feet from stardom
The Stovall Sisters [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stovall_Sisters) [[1967)
Jeanette Bazzell [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)
Audrey Madison-Turner [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)
Mary Bennett [[April–July 1978, during the breakup of Ike and Tina)
Randi Love aka Michelle Love [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)[2 [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ikettes#cite_note-2)

thommg
12-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised to see Bonnie Bramlett on this list as I didn't know Ike had ever hired a Caucasian Ikette.

reese
12-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm surprised to see Bonnie Bramlett on this list as I didn't know Ike had ever hired a Caucasian Ikette.

In I,TINA, Bonnie relates the story of when she was hired as an Ikette. Ike asked her mother's permission so that she could join the Revue. When they went South, they tried to darken her up u. After some racial incidents, she had to leave.

brother_love
12-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Hey didn't ITT break up in the summer of 1976?
In response to CaptainJames and Marv2's requests for my recollections of the Ike & Turner Review here goes. It was the fall of 1976 in Edmonton, Alberta, a Canadian city far enough north, that most R&B groups would have never considered braving the elements to perform. So the Ike & Tina Review performing at the Edmonton Gardens venue was a big deal indeed , and as a 26 year old, I was very excited to be able to experience one of my soul music idols live, the others being Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross. Armed with my camera, I had hoped to get a good photo or two. For some reason I had brought a small photograph of a beat up vintage Model T automobile hulk I had won a 2nd place ribbon for at a local photo show to give to Ike & Tina as a gift from me in "appreciation" for their brand of funk.

As the review got going and Tina performed her dramatic rendition of "I've Been Loving You Too Long [[To Stop Now), I climbed down from my bleacher seat and brazenly knelt under the stage directly below her and snapped a few quick 35 mm photos. It wasn't till later when they were developed that the one in focus caught something I wasn't supposed to see. Tina was wearing sheer pantyhose with no underwear. At the time I was so shocked that I only let a few close pals view what I had captured on film. I certainly would not have shopped my erotic photo, and certainly no fan at the time had any clue to the beatings Tina was being subjected to.

Near the end of the show, Ike threw out some "party invitations" to a party at the Chateau Lacombe Hotel where the band was staying. I picked one up and thought I'd pop in for a look see. At the Hotel I got into the elevator and pressed the 21st floor to the party. I went up and then for some reason the elevator started to go back down to the lobby. A rather exhausted Tina stepped in and turned her back on me. It took me about 10 floors to get my composure together to say, "That as a fine set Tina." "Thank you." she growled in that distinctive voice, not turning back. It wasn't till after she got off the elevator and the doors closed that I remembered I had the photograph and card for her.

After arriving at the party suite and assessing quickly it was the band and a whole lot of groupies, I heard someone shout out the "N" word, and I got the hell out of there very quickly. I believe the next day a newspaper item reported on a fracas in the hotel room.

A few years later, Much Music, Canada's version of MTV featured Tina being interviewed. She had left Ike and was starting to make a huge solo career for herself. The VJ asked her about her Buddhist involvement and Tina gave an impromptu demonstration of her chanting. On a rebroadcast of that segment, I had my VCR set to record it and transferred it to cassette tape and eventually to a CD disk.

My last story is perhaps my favourite. I was in Los Angeles when a dear Hispanic friend who since passed away, suggested we have lunch at at hole in the wall Soul Food Restaurant in a strip mall. We ordered our meal, the only non African-American customers, and all of a sudden, I heard this loud voice from across the room shout out, "Hey you white boy, how'd you hear about this place?" Knowing full well the voice was addressing me, I turned around and said, "I'm from Canada and never tasted this kind of food before." Before you could say "boo," a very attractive woman of indeterminable age, very well dressed in a pant suit and white boots stood over me and asked "What city you from?" "Vancouver, I stated." She smiled from ear to ear and stated, "I played there once when I was in the Ike & Tina Review," and to dispel any doubts I might have had to her claim, began to demonstrate some of her elaborate dance moves. I can state here with upmost confidence that I did indeed meet an official Ikette!

In my numerous yearly outings to Los Angeles, even to this day, I have had the most fantastic encounters with people. My good luck charm is to look people directly in the eye and be open to whatever, and believe me, I have never been disappointed! Hope my memories bring a smile to you guys!

marv2
12-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Some great memories posted in this thread. I always loved watching the Ikettes, had no idea there had been so many and that some Motown/ Invictus connections were there.... if the list is correct. I had no idea at all that Brenda Holloway and Patrice were members of The Ikettes.... wonder if that is actually the case. [[from wikipedia so may be errors)

Jo Armstead [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Armstead) [[1960–c.1964)
P. P. Arnold [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._P._Arnold)
Bonnie Bramlett [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Bramlett)
Esther Jones "Longest running Ikette" [[died in 2006)
Stonye Figueroa [[1969-1974) & 1998 present AKA Barbara Cook) The Ed Sullivan Show 1970 and Don Kristners Rock Concert 1974: 20 Feet From Stardom
Alesia Butler [[1972-1974)Performed on "Midnight Special [[1972) The Johnny Carson Show and Burns & Schreiber Comedy Hour
Jean Brown [1] [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ikettes#cite_note-1)
Denise Ferri
Mary Brown
Linda Shuford Jones [[1972-74) On the cover of Īkettes [[G)old and New" Album [[Left) 20FT from stardom, Johnny Carson. Midnight Special, Dick Cavett
Jean Burks
Shelly Clark [[member of Honey Cone [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Cone))
Shirley Alexander [[aka Shirley Butler) 1969-1971
Yolanda Goodwin
Martha Graham
Vera Hamilton [[died August 31, 2013)
Eloise Hester
Brenda Holloway [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Holloway)
Patrice Holloway [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrice_Holloway)
Janice Singleton
Delores Johnson

Claudia Lennear [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Lennear)
Charlotte Lewis
Maxayn [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxayn) Lewis aka Paulette Parker [[artist/background vocalist)
Robbie Montgomery [[successful restaurateur and star of the reality series Welcome to Sweetie Pie's [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Sweetie_Pie%27s))
Pat Powdrill [[died in 1996)
Edna Lejeune Richardson
Vermettya Royster [[also member of the Clara Ward Singers, the Raelets, New Spirit & lead singer of Sisters Love)
Diane Rutherford-Swann
Gloria Scott
Linda Sims Cover of "Ikettes [[G)old and New"album [[Right) - Twenty feet from Stardom
Jessie Smith
Rose Smith
Jackie Stanton
Marquentta Tinsley
[[Margaret) Ann Thomas
Marcy Thomas
Adrienne Williams
Carlena "Flora" Williams
Debbie Wilson Cover of "Ikettes [[G)old and new" album [[center) Twenty feet from stardom
The Stovall Sisters [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stovall_Sisters) [[1967)
Jeanette Bazzell [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)
Audrey Madison-Turner [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)
Mary Bennett [[April–July 1978, during the breakup of Ike and Tina)
Randi Love aka Michelle Love [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)[2 [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ikettes#cite_note-2)

That is some list Mike. I recognize several names on it. I'm surprised to see Gloria Scott's name on there.

motony
12-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I NEVER heard of the Holloway sisters being Ikettes. Sad to hear about SUPER Ikette, Esther "Burton" Jones.The main Ikettes in the early years were Robbie Montgomery, Joshie Armstead, & Venneta Fields.