PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)

test

marv2
11-20-2015, 10:44 PM
I first heard this song one Friday night in 1971 when my Mom brought it home and played it on our stereo. She bought the lastest singles every Friday. As kid, I didn't really understand what Marvin Gaye was singing about, but boy do I understand now....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Ykv1D0qEE

midnightman
11-20-2015, 11:01 PM
The song is really poetry in motion in more ways than one.

marv2
11-21-2015, 02:04 AM
It's essence is what Motown was really all about.

marv2
11-21-2015, 02:05 AM
Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)
By Marvin Gaye

Dah, dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah
Rockets, moon shots
Spend it on the have nots
Money, we make it
Fore we see it you take it
Oh, make you wanna holler
The way they do my life
Make me wanna holler
The way they do my life
This ain't livin', this ain't livin'
No, no baby, this ain't livin'
No, no, no
Inflation no chance
To increase finance
Bills pile up sky high
Send that boy off to die
Make me wanna holler
The way they do my life
Make me wanna holler
The way they do my life
Dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah
Hang ups, let downs
Bad breaks, set backs
Natural fact is
I can't pay my taxes
Oh, make me wanna holler
And throw up both my hands
Yea, it makes me wanna holler
And throw up both my hands
Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing
Panic is spreading
God know where we're heading
Oh, make me wanna holler
They don't understand
Dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah

Mother, mother
Everybody thinks we're wrong
Who are they to judge us
Simply cause we wear our hair long
Songwriters: Gaye, Marvin P / Nyx, James
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
For non-commercial use only.

soulster
11-21-2015, 02:26 AM
I had heard the first two 45s off that albums in the summer of 1971. My brother-in-law played "What's Going On" repeatedly so much that my sister broke the record!

Anyway, I first heard the album version of "Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)" when my father gave me the prerecorded cassette of it around September of 1974. Since I didn't really like the second side of the tape, I didn't listen to the song much. But, today, I really like it. I still don't like the other two songs on that side. I tend to play the first side, or first half through "Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)".

marv2
11-21-2015, 03:06 AM
I had heard the first two 45s off that albums in the summer of 1971. My brother-in-law played "What's Going On" repeatedly so much that my sister broke the record!

Anyway, I first heard the album version of "Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)" when my father gave me the prerecorded cassette of it around September of 1974. Since I didn't really like the second side of the tape, I didn't listen to the song much. But, today, I really like it. I still don't like the other two songs on that side. I tend to play the first side, or first half through "Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)".

Isn't it interesting just how powerful Marvin's music is that it makes you remember things that long ago. Hey, i think I found a website that you would really like if you haven't check it out yet, check out:

http://recording.institute/

marv2
11-21-2015, 03:11 AM
I remember that my parents bought about 5 single 45's per week and maybe 2 albums a month. By the time I was old enough and able to afford my own music it was all albums and later 12" singles. Around the late 80s, early 90s I bought mostly cassettes while moving slowly towards CD's. I have "Inner City Blues" on the album and a cassette version.

soulster
11-21-2015, 08:32 PM
My first memory of Marvin Gaye was when I was just two years old! My father used to play "Baby Don't You Do It" repeatedly.

Looking at my database, I have eleven copies of "Inner City Blues" by Marvin Gaye o n CD. Some mono, some stereo, some the Detroit mix, and one live version. One is on the 45, and two more on the WGO vinyl album. I have one by Gil Scott-Heron.

soulster
11-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Isn't it interesting just how powerful Marvin's music is that it makes you remember things that long ago. Hey, i think I found a website that you would really like if you haven't check it out yet, check out:

http://recording.institute/

No way would I move to Detroit! That's not my kind of world. I like it out here in the west. I'm a desert rat, and the women are HOT!

marv2
11-21-2015, 11:44 PM
My first memory of Marvin Gaye was when I was just two years old! My father used to play "Baby Don't You Do It" repeatedly.

Looking at my database, I have eleven copies of "Inner City Blues" by Marvin Gaye o n CD. Some mono, some stereo, some the Detroit mix, and one live version. One is on the 45, and two more on the WGO vinyl album. I have one by Gil Scott-Heron.

Well now here we go! LOL! My earliest memory of Marvin Gaye was running around the backyard with my cousin, in and out of the laundry and his brand new record "Pride and Joy" was playing and my mom,aunt and friends were playing cards on a small card table in the yard. Had to have been 1963.

marv2
11-22-2015, 12:18 AM
No way would I move to Detroit! That's not my kind of world. I like it out here in the west. I'm a desert rat, and the women are HOT!

It snowed in Detroit tonight. LOL!!!!

soulster
11-22-2015, 11:08 AM
It snowed in Detroit tonight. LOL!!!!
Well, I do like snow, but still...

marv2
11-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Well, I do like snow, but still...

I know. As much as we in the North and East complain about it, I don't think many could do without it!