PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes/IN MY LONELY ROOM [1966]

test

Methuselah2
11-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Written by Holland, Dozier, & Holland

[[to have been included in THE SUPREMES A' GO-GO album)

http://youtu.be/HO0_18VB1jY

Many thanks to MotownConnoisseur30 for this YouTube posting.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Another great find, Meth! Diana does a great job on the lead, and I really love the strings! Hard to believe that this track was excluded from The Supremes "A Go-Go[" album in favor of Hang On Sloopy. It would have fit the mood of the album perfectly. As much as I love this Diana track, however, Martha still owns this song [[imo) and always will. Again, thanks for sharing!

robb_k
11-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Nice instrumental. Kind of weak singing on it by Diane. Fabulous Bari sax in the break. I assume that was Mike Terry. I don't think I heard that when perusing The Motown Vaults. But, I may have. As I like Martha's so very much better, I might have listened to this once and just forgotten, as we were looking mainly for songs that were never released on ANY Motown singer.

midnightman
11-16-2015, 11:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3rhu90KbsE

luke
11-17-2015, 12:54 AM
and poor use of Mary and Flo.

marv2
11-17-2015, 11:31 AM
and poor use of Mary and Flo.

I would have to loved to hear what Florence could have done with it.

luke
11-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Oh yea. I can hear her doing that one with her soaring soprano .

RossHolloway
11-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Another great find, Meth! Diana does a great job on the lead, and I really love the strings! Hard to believe that this track was excluded from The Supremes "A Go-Go[" album in favor of Hang On Sloopy. It would have fit the mood of the album perfectly. As much as I love this Diana track, however, Martha still owns this song [[imo) and always will. Again, thanks for sharing!

I think the producers made the right decision by deciding to include Hang On Sloopy over In My lonely Room. Hang On Sloopy was the much bigger hit overall. Hang On is a nice cover song showing how HDH could give any song the Motown treatment, love the guitar on this song.

Laserdk
11-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Don't wish to be a party-pooper but I think you'll find the Supremes' cover of "Hang On Sloopy" was produced by Frank Wilson and Hal Davis.

Ivor

Methuselah2
11-18-2015, 07:22 AM

My pleasure, Gary. I agree with you--it's Martha & the Vandellas' song all the way.