PDA

View Full Version : Contract on love-little stevie wonder

test

arr&bee
11-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Maybe it didn't sell a million but so what,to me this jumpin number from his early period will always be a classic,with the temps backing and a driving motown beat this one from[little stevie]is a killer.

marv2
11-14-2015, 05:20 PM
JAI, great number! This one reminded me instantly of the kiddie birthdays we had back at that time with a little record player ,etc. Notice how the name is written on the face of the 45 in this video. We use to do the same thing to keep up with your records:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJL-s-1ozZU

robb_k
11-14-2015, 06:55 PM
This is at least tied for my favourite song by Stevie at ANY age!

marv2
11-14-2015, 07:08 PM
This is at least tied for my favourite song by Stevie at ANY age!

Really Robb? You like it that much too! I always loved this record.

robb_k
11-14-2015, 09:08 PM
I also like "Little Water Boy" [[duet with Clarence Paul), and "Thank You Mother" a lot.
I don't think I can even name one song by Stevie from the 1970s through to today. "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" was already much too "modern" for me. The last song I remember by him was "For Once In My Life" [[which I Like a lot). But, I had already stopped listening to the radio some years before that was out.

jboy88
11-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Dang Robb! You've really been sleepin' on the Wonderman! I'm not saying hit early records weren't great, they are and were. But Innervisions, Fullfillingness First Finale, Key of Life, etc. Those are beyond timeless.

144man
11-15-2015, 06:22 AM
I do like "Contract On Love", but "I Was Made to Love Her" will always be my favourite Stevie Wonder record.

woodward
11-15-2015, 10:21 AM
My favorite most recent LSW song is "I Just Called to Say I Love You." I think this song should have been more successful than it actually was. Obviously it did not get airplay.

marv2
11-15-2015, 10:51 AM
My favorite most recent LSW song is "I Just Called to Say I Love You." I think this song should have been more successful than it actually was. Obviously it did not get airplay.

I don't know where you were living, but it got a tremendous amount of airplay in Michigan and Ohio at the time.

marv2
11-15-2015, 11:10 AM
I do like "Contract On Love", but "I Was Made to Love Her" will always be my favourite Stevie Wonder record.

That is another one of my big favorites from Stevie. I loved "That Girl" and many others. i could never do a top 10 Stevie, it would have to be a top 30-40.

westgrandboulevard
11-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Marv, I think Woodward is just using very dry humour on us here.....LOL

You're quite right. 'Tremendous' was the public response to 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', which is surely one of Stevie Wonder's biggest selling singles and therefore, very likely his most known song.

It was #1 in at least 16 countries,including #1 on Billboard [[Academy Award for Best Original Song).

It was #1 here in the UK [[his only # 1 this side of the Atlantic) for six weeks and, to date, is Motown's biggest selling UK single of all time.

I think it is a good song, as are many of his compositions since 'Where I'm Coming From' [[and beautifully interpreted by many other artistes) but for actual production values and sheer fun and excitement, I continue to prefer the recordings from Stevie's 60s Motown recordings from the Hitsville/Detroit days.;)

marv2
11-15-2015, 11:16 AM

You're quite right. 'Tremendous' was the public response to 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', which is surely one of Stevie Wonder's biggest selling singles and therefore, very likely his most known song.

It was #1 in at least 16 countries,including #1 on Billboard [[Academy Award for Best Original Song).

It was #1 here in the UK [[his only # 1 this side of the Atlantic) for six weeks and, to date, is Motown's biggest selling UK single of all time.

I think it is a good song, as are many of his compositions since 'Where I'm Coming From' [[and beautifully interpreted by many other artistes) but for actual production values and sheer fun and excitement, I continue to prefer the recordings from Stevie's 60s Motown recordings from the Hitsville/Detroit days.;)

Oh, ok LOL! That song got so much airplay it became somewhat monotonous.

theboyfromxtown
11-15-2015, 12:01 PM

I'm glad you pointed that out WGB.....even I thought I was going mad for a minute.

jboy88
11-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Let's be real. NOBODY has A favorite Stevie Wonder song! I don't even have 10!

lockhartgary
11-15-2015, 04:38 PM
As far as 60's tracks go, "Sylvia" is definitely one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeH73f30_RY

144man
11-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Stevie Wonder has one of my favourite Christmas records in "What Christmas Means to Me". Another good track of his that is overlooked is his version of Marvin Gaye's "Baby Don't You Do It".

REDHOT
11-17-2015, 11:55 PM
That sound like The Temptations,in the background,on Contract.

marv2
11-18-2015, 12:12 AM
As far as 60's tracks go, "Sylvia" is definitely one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeH73f30_RY

One of my other favorite 60s Stevie recordings is "I Don't Know Why I Love You".

heikki
11-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Marv!

I think we have a winner. I've also always liked that particular Stevie song.

Best regards
Heikki

robb_k
11-18-2015, 06:10 AM
Dang Robb! You've really been sleepin' on the Wonderman! I'm not saying hit early records weren't great, they are and were. But Innervisions, Fullfillingness First Finale, Key of Life, etc. Those are beyond timeless.

I'm sure I've never even heard most of his songs from the '70s onward. What I have heard I haven't liked. But what I have heard of almost ALL music from the '70s on, I haven't liked [[only some Jazz [[that had an "old fashioned" sound [[and THAT has been mostly acoustical [[using real instruments without electrical enhancement).

robb_k
11-18-2015, 06:12 AM
That sound like The Temptations,in the background,on Contract.
Yes, they are The Temptations. "Contract On Love" would have sounded pretty similar to Stevie's version if he had been replaced by Eddie Kendricks on lead, and it had been just a Temptations' song.