PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Pop Hooks of all Time

test

jobeterob
11-12-2015, 07:34 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6731053/greatest-pop-hooks-of-all-time

Ngroove
11-13-2015, 03:21 AM
I'm sorry ......but I kinda believe it shoulda been in regular forums, as generally it's the umpteenth popular [[pop) radio survey *shrugs and shudders*, very minimal Motown, only two hooks.

How about ditchin' "Happy" and Hanson and Gaga and "Call Me Maybe" and "Believe" and Clarkson and Beyonce and one of the Beatles, and replacin' with "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugarpie, Honeybunch)", "Dancing In The Street", "Shop Around", and "My Girl", and non-Motown but still snappy for a pop, "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"?

soulster
11-13-2015, 11:37 AM
There's no reason we can't discuss pop music here.

luke
11-13-2015, 12:10 PM
First one that came to me was sugar pie honey bunch!

florence
11-13-2015, 02:05 PM
I find this list a bit pointless because there's no real rationale behind it - in the end it's just someone's opinion.

However it's worth looking at for one inclusion - Supremes' Stop! In The Name Of Love.

Terrific performance from the girls - I actually nearly didn't recognise Diana at first!

marv2
11-13-2015, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry ......but I kinda believe it shoulda been in regular forums, as generally it's the umpteenth popular [[pop) radio survey *shrugs and shudders*, very minimal Motown, only two hooks.

How about ditchin' "Happy" and Hanson and Gaga and "Call Me Maybe" and "Believe" and Clarkson and Beyonce and one of the Beatles, and replacin' with "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugarpie, Honeybunch)", "Dancing In The Street", "Shop Around", and "My Girl", and non-Motown but still snappy for a pop, "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"?

I put this on the Main Forum for others that might like to see and discuss it.

ralpht
11-13-2015, 03:42 PM
This could be an interesting thread.

marv2
11-13-2015, 03:49 PM
This could be an interesting thread.

I saw it Ralph, ok!

marv2
11-13-2015, 03:50 PM
"Come and get your love" by Redbone had a nice hook I thought.

edafan
11-13-2015, 07:50 PM
First one that came to me was sugar pie honey bunch!

That was the first one I thought of too

But these modern list makers are TOO modern

I didn't look, but I bet they missed Sinatra's New York New York.

It's just like the sports people at the turn of the century voting Michael Jordan as the best athlete of the last century.

I guess they never heard of Babe Ruth, Bill Russell [[ 11 NBA champs )

edafan

jobeterob
11-13-2015, 07:59 PM
Reassured to see so much motown on the list

luke
11-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Was sugar pie honey bunch a common term? I vaguely remember HDH talking about it but don't remember if Lamont said it was just something he said to his woman.

soulster
11-14-2015, 10:35 AM
It's not on the list, and it's very polarizing, but I would nominate Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas. It has an undeniable hook that gets in your brain and doesn't let go!

Ngroove
11-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Honestly, Vengaboys' "We Like To Party [[The Vengabus)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWxzhvwMqw

WARNING: ONCE CAUGHT, GOOD LUCK GETTIN' IT OUT OF YOUR HEAD, BWA-HA-HAAAA!

arr&bee
11-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Opinions are like buttholes[everybody's got one-hehe]so with that said,i'm listening right now to maybe the greatest hook[my girl].