PDA

View Full Version : Marv johnson - i love the way you love - [[rare live video footage)

test

marv2
11-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Just as Al Abrams was a first for Motown, so was Mr. Marv Johnson! Most notable for performing on the first record to be issued from what became Motown. He was a very unique singer and performer. Check him out in this rare clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJihrf8mHFk

marv2
11-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Then he put his silky vocals to this one from 1961 and "Show Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrcr7jzSuXU

robb_k
11-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Just as Al Abrams was a first for Motown, so was Mr. Marv Johnson! Most notable for performing on the first record to be issued from what became Motown. He was a very unique singer and performer. Check him out in this rare clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJihrf8mHFk
Those British teenagers look very disinterested. They had VERY LITTLE R&B and early Soul on their charts in the early '60s. But, I would have guessed that they'd have liked this song, regardless. I'm a bit surprised.

marv2
11-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Those British teenagers look very disinterested. They had VERY LITTLE R&B and early Soul on their charts in the early '60s. But, I would have guessed that they'd have liked this song, regardless. I'm a bit surprised.

Robb, I agree. This clip however is from "Australian Bandstand". Still this style of music was new to them and had to catch on. I loved Marv's vocals from the time I first heard him on the radio, but I grew up having R&B, Pop music played in the home. I wonder what the crowd's reaction would have been say by 1968?

marv2
11-08-2015, 07:08 PM
This is the first Marv Johnson record I remember and of course the first release from "Motown" records......"Come to Me" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL40AepUtPs

marv2
11-08-2015, 07:09 PM
I take it that those were the "Rayber Voices" backing Marv up.

robb_k
11-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Robb, I agree. This clip however is from "Australian Bandstand". Still this style of music was new to them and had to catch on. I loved Marv's vocals from the time I first heard him on the radio, but I grew up having R&B, Pop music played in the home. I wonder what the crowd's reaction would have been say by 1968?
I'm sure they'd have been more into Soul music by 1968. A bunch of Soul songs were always on their charts by that time. In The UK [[and Australia and New Zealand) it took Motown's breakthrough of The Supremes and Four Tops, as well as The Beatles and other Merseybeat groups singing remakes of R&B and early Soul for that kind of music to catch on.

Canada was a little different, as American R&B and Soul artists always had gone north of their border to perform and market their records. The Canadian pop charts didn't have all that much R&B and Soul back before 1964 [[at least not nearly enough for my taste) [[especially in BC and The Prairie Provinces, Quebec and The Maritimes). But Ontario, due to its proximity to Detroit, Cleveland and upstate New York, always had a reasonable amount.

One of the things that I liked about moving to Chicago [[from Winnipeg) was the proliferation of available R&B/Soul/Gospel and Blues music [[records) and music venues. Not that that was the kicker that swayed me to accompany my parents at age 14, in relocating to USA, or, conversely, to stay with my uncle and aunt in Winnipeg, to continue my hockey "career". In 1960, there still was no reasonably high level of junior hockey in Chicago [[or, indeed anywhere in USA). But, I'll admit that it was a nice "bonus", which eventually led to my working in The Music Industry.

marv2
11-09-2015, 12:22 AM
I'm sure they'd have been more into Soul music by 1968. A bunch of Soul songs were always on their charts by that time. In The UK [[and Australia and New Zealand) it took Motown's breakthrough of The Supremes and Four Tops, as well as The Beatles and other Merseybeat groups singing remakes of R&B and early Soul for that kind of music to catch on.

Canada was a little different, as American R&B and Soul artists always had gone north of their border to perform and market their records. The Canadian pop charts didn't have all that much R&B and Soul back before 1964 [[at least not nearly enough for my taste) [[especially in BC and The Prairie Provinces, Quebec and The Maritimes). But Ontario, due to its proximity to Detroit, Cleveland and upstate New York, always had a reasonable amount.

One of the things that I liked about moving to Chicago [[from Winnipeg) was the proliferation of available R&B/Soul/Gospel and Blues music [[records) and music venues. Not that that was the kicker that swayed me to accompany my parents at age 14, in relocating to USA, or, conversely, to stay with my uncle and aunt in Winnipeg, to continue my hockey "career". In 1960, there still was no reasonably high level of junior hockey in Chicago [[or, indeed anywhere in USA). But, I'll admit that it was a nice "bonus", which eventually led to my working in The Music Industry.

Robb, I think you are right on the money especially with folks in Ontario having greater exposure to R&B/Soul music in the 60s. Powerhouse stations like CKLW in Windsor and Chum in Toronto had a lot to do with that as well. Toronto seemed to always had a soul music scene and I was first surprised at how much of a music city Montreal is.