PDA

View Full Version : Don't Ask Don't Tell

test

skooldem1
12-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I understand that any form of discrimination is wrong. I also understand that a person should be able to serve their country regardless of their sexual orientation. With that said, what is the big deal about DADT? I feel it is has always been trumped up to be a bigger issue for the general American public than it really is. I feel that just like abortion is a trumped up issue for republicans, DADT is something that democrats use as a political tool. If it doesn't pass, then more work has to be done, if it does pass- Great, but its no big deal.

soulster
12-18-2010, 12:45 PM
It has to pass. It is wrong to discriminate against anyone.

It's not a Democratic tool. It's about rights of a U.S. citizen to serve without bias. Simple as that.

midnight johnny
12-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I understand that any form of discrimination is wrong. I also understand that a person should be able to serve their country regardless of their sexual orientation. With that said, what is the big deal about DADT? I feel it is has always been trumped up to be a bigger issue for the general American public than it really is. I feel that just like abortion is a trumped up issue for republicans, DADT is something that democrats use as a political tool. If it doesn't pass, then more work has to be done, if it does pass- Great, but its no big deal.

Skooldem...I think you have that a little BACKWARDS. The REPUBLICANS have been using DADT as a political tool. They have been using their anti-Gay rights ideology [[as well as abortion) as a distraction to trump up Conservative rancor for DECADES. The Democrats have only wanted Gays and Lesbians to have the same rights as ALL citizens should have. Are you suggesting that the prohibition of Gays in the the military [[unless they LIE about their sexual preference) is any less heinous than refusing women the right to vote, or segregating Blacks from Whites in the military, or even treating Blacks as if they are 3/5ths of a human being, as it states in the Consitution? Treating ANY citizen of this country as if they are less than anyone else is anti-American AND immoral, although it is done all the time, as your notion implies...that DADT is "no big deal". ANY discrimination of a human being is a "BIG DEAL"!

One [[among many) hypocracies of the Republican Party is that they profess "limited government" involvement in peoples' lives...yet they are quite agreeable to tell women what they can do with their own bodies...or to treat minorities as second class citizens....or tell Gays that they must lie about who they are but that it's fine for heterosexuals to be open about their lives. For people who "limited government" is their bread and butter, they certainly want very basic control over U.S. citizens and their private lives.

skooldem1
12-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Republicans have tried their best to obstruct, but it has always been a champion cause for the liberal left.

skooldem1
12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
It has always in my opinion been a political football. The dems and repubs throw it back and forth, and the general public isn't interested at all. Its clear that for the most part the general public agrees that whether you are gay or not, you should be able to serve. This has never been something that the general public thinks about in their daily lives.

smark21
12-18-2010, 02:40 PM
The crux of Don't Ask Don't Tell is that a gay servicemember has to remain in hiding if they want to continue to serve. If they were to display a picture of their same sex significant other or talk about their life with them, they can be kicked out of the service because they "told". The policy isn't applicable to a heterosexual service member. A male soldier can show pictures of his wife/girlfriend and a female service member can talk about her husband and not be penalized. If we must have Don't Ask Don't Tell, then it should be applied to all service members, regardless of sexual orientation. And if that's not possible, then it should be repealed so that all service members can serve with truth and integrity as to who they really are.

midnight johnny
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
It has always in my opinion been a political football. The dems and repubs throw it back and forth, and the general public isn't interested at all. Its clear that for the most part the general public agrees that whether you are gay or not, you should be able to serve. This has never been something that the general public thinks about in their daily lives.

....unless you ARE gay or KNOW someone who is gay, or you have a person who is gay in your family. And how would you know what the general thinks...have youtaken a poll. I think the general public DOES have a concern when any group is discriminated against.
But then maybe You are the one using this as a political football...it's interesting that you profess not to care about it...yet this is a thread YOU started.

skooldem1
12-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Why are you so defensive? Dialogue is suppose to be a good thing and you are already stomping your feet.

midnight johnny
12-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I guess stomping my feet, as you call it, is better than putting them in my mouth...how do you fit them both in there?

skooldem1
12-18-2010, 03:13 PM
I guess you "read" me huh?

midnight johnny
12-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah....I finally got the point that you just like to stir up shit.

arrr&bee
12-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I tried that tactic when the police raided the still[opps-er-ahem-hehe]i mean when they made a surprise visit to my factory they wanted to know if it was hooch so i told em not to ask and i wouldn't tell,they arrested me anyhow...no sense of humor and the judge wasn't laughing either!!!

olamaebarto
12-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I guess stomping my feet, as you call it, is better than putting them in my mouth...how do you fit them both in there?

Well as they say these day "SNAP!".

Bravo dear.

jobeterob
12-19-2010, 12:05 AM
It was an unfair policy and it deserved to be gone and I'm glad it is. It was a way to make people feel like 2nd class citizens, different, and less.

If something doesn't affect you, it is easy to say that it is not a big deal. But when your Mother got kicked out of her chair at 81 so a young man could take her seat or when your daughter comes home at 17 and is pregnant and cannot have her say in what will happen with her body, these are then "slap in your face" issues.

Soulster said it in post two: "It is wrong to discriminate against anyone."

It is very hard for people to always see what discrimination is when it does not involve them. We have seen it on Soulful Detroit and we've seen prominent members and former members fail to understand "what discrimination is".

And I am not saying I see it in every instance either.

But this was one of them.

soulster
12-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Republicans have tried their best to obstruct, but it has always been a champion cause for the liberal left.

And, the left has been on the...correct side of it.