PDA

View Full Version : BARBRA & Her 'On A Clear Day' COSTUMES - 1970 - Revealing Reading/Fantastic Photos

test

Methuselah2
11-06-2015, 08:22 PM
I've never been keen on this movie except for the English period pieces in it--their look, their costumes, and Streisand's performance in those jar-dropping visual creations by Cecil Beaton. Stumbling upon this remarkable link was completely unexpected. To those of you interested, I think you'll enjoy it. A great deal of ground is covered in addition to Beaton's work. And don't miss the 'More Clear Day Pages' included in it.

http://barbra-archives.com/films/clear_day_streisand_12.html

theboyfromxtown
11-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Barbra has never much to me but I know a lot who are. I've sent the link to them. So thank you from them

westgrandboulevard
11-07-2015, 06:08 AM
Thank you M2 for this visual artistic banquet.

Cecil Beaton was extremely talented, and he and Barbra Streisand made a very great partnership.

Yes, 'On a Clear Day' should have worked better, and more evenly....

In the '60s, I found Barbra S. rather too mannered, with a distinct air of feigned superiority......but [[wobbling off-topic here) despite the criticisms of her being cast in 'Hello Dolly', my estimation of her talent increased immensely with that picture. IMO, thanks to Barbra, 'Hello Dolly' is one of the best ever filmed musicals.

Methuselah2
11-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Barbra has never much to me but I know a lot who are. I've sent the link to them. So thank you from them

My pleasure, Tbfxt. Glad you forwarded it along. The link is just chock-a-block full of rare, great stuff.

Methuselah2
11-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Thank you M2 for this visual artistic banquet.

Cecil Beaton was extremely talented, and he and Barbra Streisand made a very great partnership.

Yes, 'On a Clear Day' should have worked better, and more evenly....

In the '60s, I found Barbra S. rather too mannered, with a distinct air of feigned superiority......but [[wobbling off-topic here) despite the criticisms of her being cast in 'Hello Dolly', my estimation of her talent increased immensely with that picture. IMO, thanks to Barbra, 'Hello Dolly' is one of the best ever filmed musicals.

So glad you enjoyed it, WGB. Cecil Beaton did such remarkable things. A one-of-a-kind talent. I was fascinated to read about his thoughts on Streisand. A pairing that was truly unique. And, ultimately, sheer perfection. Still astounding even now.

HELLO, DOLLY! is one of my favorites, too. Streisand's performance was crammed full of surprises and real beauty. Except for critic Pauline Kael who loved it, the performance was dismissed and overlooked by a great many. It didn't seem to be what people were expecting or wanted from Streisand, and many thought she was miscast. I thought she was wonderful, showing her talent on so many levels. So known for her voice--but she really is an actress first and foremost. And she brought a physical beauty to the screen that hadn't been seen quite like this before she arrived. She helped re-defne the concept of beauty by one that was all hers.

theboyfromxtown
11-08-2015, 05:14 AM
My pleasure, Tbfxt. Glad you forwarded it along. The link is just chock-a-block full of rare, great stuff.

I've never been a fan but I respect that she has a huge following. I remember my parents buying Second Hand Rose as a 45 and they used to play it so often on the radio that it got to the point where I would turn the volume down until it finished. I'm ok with it now.