PDA

View Full Version : Motown Motortown Reviiew in Paris Reiissue packages - Pledge Musix

test

jaybs
11-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Interesting this morning to receive an email from Pledge Music, I receive them as I have supported many artists in releasing their own music without a major record company. But today's was about many different packages now available to support with the Motown - Motortown Review in Paris re-issue, with several products both vinyl and CD as well as other items.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/motortownrevueinparis?referrer=newsletter&utm_cont ent=button&utm_source=mail_out5322&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=person7

theboyfromxtown
11-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Bit disappointed that the Velvelettes EP wasn't included.............

theboyfromxtown
11-05-2015, 08:26 AM
But then they were not on the tour....sadly.

phil
11-05-2015, 12:18 PM
But then they were not on the tour....sadly.

Did they ever tour outside America ? I don't think so but I may be wrong...

lakedistrictlad1
11-05-2015, 01:33 PM
An interesting concept. A release happens only if it receives enough pledges. Well, I've ordered my copy of the Motown Review in Paris. I hope it hits its target.

I would have loved the French EP set too - if it had been issued in CD form.

lakedistrictlad1
11-05-2015, 01:34 PM
An interesting concept. A release happens only if it receives enough pledges. Well, I've ordered my copy of the Motown Review in Paris. I hope it hits its target.

booty
11-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Only 21 pledges as of 5 minutes ago for these. They are listing them all of their website - photo's and all if you ordered via the link on Facebook!!!!

longtimefan
11-05-2015, 03:54 PM
What is the target number for just the 2 disc CD? How is this being publicized?

They are asking for credit card payment now. I don't understand this. Not a complaint, just not clear.

longtimefan
11-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Only 21 pledges as of 5 minutes ago for these. They are listing them all of their website - photo's and all if you ordered via the link on Facebook!!!!

What is their Facebook site?

booty
11-05-2015, 04:27 PM
LTF . It is not their Facebook site. It seems that if you go to their ordering page via a link in Facebook and pledge a purchase your FB name and FB photo come up on their pledges page.

theboyfromxtown
11-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Did they ever tour outside America ? I don't think so but I may be wrong...

Not at the time.....but they do now....Spain, UK....in the future who knows !!

theboyfromxtown
11-05-2015, 05:53 PM

Are you ordering from your hospital bed?

theboyfromxtown
11-05-2015, 05:54 PM
What is the target number for just the 2 disc CD? How is this being publicized?

They are asking for credit card payment now. I don't understand this. Not a complaint, just not clear.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who doesn't understand what's going on. LOL

longtimefan
11-05-2015, 06:34 PM
LTF . It is not their Facebook site. It seems that if you go to their ordering page via a link in Facebook and pledge a purchase your FB name and FB photo come up on their pledges page.

Actually, booty, I just found it. They do have a Facebook site. Just type in "Pledge Music' on the Facebook search tool.

762rob
11-06-2015, 12:50 AM
http://www.udiscovermusic.com/motortown-revues-french-connection-reissued

Apparently Universal is promoting this....I guess the fans have to put their money where their mouth is on this one....might be a way to get other projects back into physical form, although Universal has no problem issuing all the Marvin Gaye Lp's on vinyl and CD's....

I went ahead and ordered the CD version...

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2015, 02:58 AM
The test pressings have already sold out!

mysterysinger
11-06-2015, 06:10 AM
Looks great and I will plunge but once again something we've largely had already on CD [[in that lovely Motortown Revue set). Still I suppose there's probably enough of a difference and the prices seem fairly reasonable.

jaybs
11-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Sorry about the typo errors in the title thread, you can't amend in edit! lol

westgrandboulevard
11-06-2015, 08:50 AM
No problems, at least here in the UK.

Unsure where you are based but, in old British English, 'Aye Aye' is said in agreement, as in 'Yes, even so'.

'For aye' means 'forever'.

So, entirely appropriate for the subject of this thread.....;)

lakedistrictlad1
11-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Are you ordering from your hospital bed?

Yes John I am. The wonders of a smart phone.

longtimefan
11-06-2015, 04:56 PM
I don't see a release date for the $26.00 two CD set. I'd like to support this venture but it's not clear.

carole cucumber
11-06-2015, 07:17 PM
I don't see a release date for the $26.00 two CD set. I'd like to support this venture but it's not clear.

"And, happily, ever recorded: capturing the sets performed on 13 April 1965,Recorded Live: Motortown Revue In Pariswas released in November ’65 – and is now reissued on both 2CD and 3LP formats by Universal via PledgeMusic [[https://pledge.lnk.to/MotortownRevue) on 12 February 2016, complete with previously unreleased recordings."

carole cucumber
11-06-2015, 07:20 PM
http://www.udiscovermusic.com/tag/soul

jaybs
11-07-2015, 06:45 AM
That is a problem with Pledge Music, its for the enthusiast, as it is used by most artists to finance recordings and pressing, they usually sign copies and photo's, would not have thought Universal needed finance first? February seems a long time.

longtimefan
11-07-2015, 01:02 PM
So, are they dependent on pledges [["pre-orders") to make this happen?

theboyfromxtown
11-07-2015, 01:36 PM
So, are they dependent on pledges [["pre-orders") to make this happen?

I'm glad you are asking the questions I'm thinking.

jaybs
11-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Surprised they took the money immediately, other pledge support I have made have only taken it when they have raised funds needed. so it is in their bank for nearly three months? haha

longtimefan
11-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Typically, online pledge drives show a bar graph indicating how much pledge money they have received so far and how much more they need.

johnny_raven
11-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Update:

13 NOVEMBER, 2015

All twelve previously unreleased tracks confirmed & can now be revealed.

Hi everyone we now have the final track list for both the 2 CD Super Deluxe Edition and the 3LP Vinyl Super Deluxe Edition of the “Motortown Revue in Paris” and the good news is that it is even more complete and includes even more unreleased material than we first thought possible.

Both the CD and the Vinyl will now include the entire show with these twelve previously unreleased live tracks.

Martha And The Vandellas
Heat Wave
Wild One

Stevie Wonder
Jazz-Blues Instrumental
Make Someone Happy

Earl Van Dyke
All About My Girl
Too Many Fish In The Sea [[alternate performance)

The Supremes
Come See About Me
People

The Miracles
I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying
Wives And Lovers
Come on Do The Jerk
Mickey’s Monkey [[unedited version)

All the tracks are being remastered to the highest possible quality from the original tapes.

longtimefan
11-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Update:

13 NOVEMBER, 2015

Hi everyone we now have the final track list for both the 2 CD Super Deluxe Edition and the 3LP Vinyl Super Deluxe Edition of the “Motortown Revue in Paris” and the good news is that it is even more complete and includes even more unreleased material than we first thought possible.

Both the CD and the Vinyl will now include the entire show with these twelve previously unreleased live tracks.

Martha And The Vandellas
Heat Wave
Wild One

Stevie Wonder
Jazz-Blues Instrumental
Make Someone Happy

Earl Van Dyke
All About My Girl

The Supremes
Come See About Me
People

The Miracles
I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying
Wives And Lovers
Come on Do The Jerk

All the tracks are being remastered to the highest possible quality from the original tapes.

Many of us do not understand the marketing for this product.

1. If we pay for the two CD set now are we in fact "pledging" so that you know how many copies to make and if it is affordable for you to continue?

2. Or if we pay now, is this a guarantee that we are actually buyingthis product? And when will we receive it?

3. Is this release "endorsed" by Motown/Universal like the ACE CDs are?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions in a specific manner.

calvin
11-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Many of us do not understand the marketing for this product.

1. If we pay for the two CD set now are we in fact "pledging" so that you know how many copies to make and if it is affordable for you to continue?

2. Or if we pay now, is this a guarantee that we are actually buyingthis product? And when will we receive it?

3. Is this release "endorsed" by Motown/Universal like the ACE CDs are?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions in a specific manner.

Longtimefan,

Johnny_raven posted the update which appears on the website, I don't think he's behind this release.
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/motortownrevueinparis/updates/62063

I'm new to PledgeMusic and not entirely sure, but as I understand it, this is a "pre-order" of a title that will be released in February 2016. I don't believe the release depends on the number of pledges, though it makes sense for them to use this number for guidance when deciding how many units to produce.

From the website: "Motown’s latest release, Motortown Revue in Paris Super Deluxe Edition is now available to pre-order via PledgeMusic. The Label have lovingly restored and remastered the audio and artwork of this much-vaunted live recording from the original Tamla Motown masters."

So this is a Motown [[Universal) release from the master tapes. Note also that "have lovingly restored and remastered" suggests that they've already done this remastering. Also, as you stated in an earlier post, there's no "target" amount for this release, as there is for many others on PledgeMusic, which again makes me believe that it doesn't depend on the amount pledged.

Finally, on another page they write: "If it’s a pre-order or the artist has funded their project you will be charged immediately or if your Artist hasn’t reached their target you’ll be charged when they do [[Paypal payments and gift pledges are always charged immediately but PledgeMusic will refund you if the Artist doesn’t reach their target)."
http://www.pledgemusic.com/learn/fans

They are asking you to make a firm commitment to purchase it, which I can understand - they don't want people pulling out of their pre-orders [[as many do on Amazon), leaving them with a large number of unsold items.

I suppose this release could also be a test - if it sells well, we may see more expanded cd releases via pledgemusic. If not, well... back to the downloads!

Incidentally, I found that Universal Music Canada began a partnership with Pledgemusic two years ago.
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/1567142/exclusive-pledgemusic-partners-with-universal-music

From that article:
"In addition, artists often use PledgeMusic to sell pre-orders for albums that will get a traditional release to retail. This option is well suited for record labels. Frontline releases on record labels don't need funding from fans. Catalog releases, especially expensive items like box sets, benefit by creating demand and reducing risk before the release. "You can assess demand really early," says Rogers."

jaybs
11-14-2015, 06:14 AM
I have purchased the two CD Super Deluxe Edition which I feel is a fair price to pledge. With all the pledge projects I have supported what I do credit them for is they keep you well updated with email's.

This is the one I received yesterday;

Martha And The Vandellas
Heat Wave
Wild One

Stevie Wonder
Jazz-Blues Instrumental
Make Someone Happy

Earl Van Dyke
All About My Girl

The Supremes
Come See About Me
People

The Miracles
I Gota Dance To Keep From Crying
Wives And Lovers
Come on Do The Jerk

keith_hughes
11-14-2015, 05:21 PM
This is wonderful news. I don't think there's another complete Motortown Revue show in the Vaults - certainly not one this early [[1965).

longtimefan
11-15-2015, 12:06 AM
I wanted to support this "pledge" effort and got to the VERY END of inputting multiple information for my order including all of my credit card information and personal identification data when a screen suddenly came up [[attached) indicating that I NOW had to agree to abide to PayPal regulations before I could continue -- even though I was using my credit card.

Sadly, they have lost my business. For my own reasons, I want no association with PayPal nor do I even know what Pledge Music wants me to "agree to." The fact that this requirement for my "agreement" did not appear until the end of the process is curious. In my opinion, this is a poor marketing strategy.

calvin
11-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Sorry to hear that, longtimefan. The website shouldn't prompt you to create a paypal account if you're paying by credit card, so something went wrong. I wonder, did others who paid by credit card have a problem? [[I pre-ordered the 2-cd set but paid with paypal.) You could try contacting PledgeMusic but it sounds like you're already fed up.

This might not be the only way to buy this cd. In my post above [[which I've added to since first posting), I mentioned the partnership between Universal Music Canada and PledgeMusic. It suggests to me that Universal is using PledgeMusic here for the pre-order process to get some firm sales and an estimate of the overall demand before producing the physical product [[as well as to advertise the release). They may well produce some extra units to sell through Amazon and other large online retailers. Also, some of the pledgers are buying multiple copies; I guess they're planning to sell these on, though the price will presumably be higher than this pre-order price.

I also expect that it will be available to purchase as a download later.

carlo
11-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Thank you for posting about this. I had no idea. I will be ordering the 2 CD. I collect vinyl as well, but it is a bit much and 3 LP's is a lot to be flipping and changing. Also, I don't like that the second side of the second LP ends with The Supremes' first number and then continues onto the third disc. I know they probably had to do it that way because of timing.

Here's hoping we can expect to see more releases soon, if this does well.

Edit: I am pleased that the listed price including the shipping cost. Looking forward to February!

jaybs
11-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Today's update email!

Final "Motortown Revue In Paris" - 3 LP Vinyl Super deluxe edition Track list.

Here is the final track list for the Motortown Revue In Paris on a strictly limited edition 3 × 12″ vinyl set.
This set has been remastered from the original studio tapes and includes 12 previously unreleased live tracks.

LP 1
Side A
Introduction by Harold Kay
Earl Van Dyke Sextet:
1. All For You
2. See See Rider
3. Too Many Fish In The Sea^
Side B
Martha & The Vandellas
1. Heat Wave *
2. Wild One *
3. If I Had A Hammer^
4. Nowhere To Run^
5. Dancing In The Street^

LP 2
Side C
Stevie Wonder
1. Jazz-Blues Instrumental *
2. Make Someone Happy *
3. Hi-Heel Sneakers^
4. Funny How Time Slips Away
5. Fingertips^

Side D
Introduction by Harold Kay
Earl Van Dyke Sextet
1. All About My Girl*
2. Too Many Fish In The Sea *
3. Soul Stomp *
The Supremes
4. Come See About Me *

LP 3
Side E
The Supremes
1. Baby Love^
2. People *
3. Somewhere^
4. Stop In The Name Of Love
5. You’re Nobody ’til Somebody Loves You
6. Shake

Side F
The Miracles
1. I Gotta Dance To keep From Crying *
2. That’s What Love Is Made Of
3. Wives And Lovers *
4. Oooo Baby Baby
5. Come On Do The Jerk *
6. Mickey’s Monkey [[unedited version) *

^From original LP, issued November 1965 [[U.S.), February 1966 [[U.K./Europe)
PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

Just hope this project is supported well and it leads to other releases as well.

calvin
11-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Just hope this project is supported well and it leads to other releases as well.

Yes, and here's a chance for those who say they will support a physical product but not downloads - the first physical expanded release from Universal in quite some time. If it does well, there will be more. If not, back to downloads.

calvin
11-19-2015, 09:12 AM
This is wonderful news. I don't think there's another complete Motortown Revue show in the Vaults - certainly not one this early [[1965).

Since this show was recorded in 1965, this release could also serve to extend the copyright on the tracks that were not released as part of the original album. But it's coming out in February next year, isn't that a bit too late...? Or is it perhaps enough that it's announced as a firm release and people are already paying for it now?

calvin
11-19-2015, 01:46 PM
FROM THE MOTOR CITY TO THE CITY OF LIGHT

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/motortownrevueinparis/updates/62244

booty
11-19-2015, 02:04 PM
Maybe these tracks will appear on a digital "Motown Unreleased 1965" at the end of this year?

RossHolloway
12-04-2015, 03:06 PM
I just signed up!

calvin
12-04-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm only buying the 2-cd set, but there are some nice pictures of the EPs here:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/motortownrevueinparis/updates/62963

jaybs
12-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Credit them as most Pledge Music items so they are keeping us well informed by email with developments, and I agree Calvin some great cover photo's.

calvin
12-14-2015, 10:18 AM
From a Universal Music Group website - the first record [[on the Columbia label) of Motown music that listed session musicians:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/motown-the-big-big-sounds-little-secret

It also gives a pre-order link for the Motortown Revue in Paris Super Deluxe Edition, taking one to the PledgeMusic website.

So far, it looks like about 450 items have been pre-ordered, which includes both cd and vinyl.

theboyfromxtown
12-14-2015, 10:38 AM
I have that album. There's a few more albums like that which contain similar information.

I asked Mrs Edwards about the information on these albums. She told me that it was she who was sending it to Kurt Mohr in France. As soon as Mr Gordy found out, he insisted that she stop.

phil
12-14-2015, 03:17 PM
I have that album. There's a few more albums like that which contain similar information.

I asked Mrs Edwards about the information on these albums. She told me that it was she who was sending it to Kurt Mohr in France. As soon as Mr Gordy found out, he insisted that she stop.

Right, here are the notes on the back of a Jr Walker LP :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/51/1450120460-disques-048-jw.jpg

And the beautiful cover :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/51/1450120779-disques-047.jpg

calvin
12-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks for posting that, Phil. Looks like it was some time before Berry found out and stopped it, that LP has a track from July 1966.

phil
12-14-2015, 05:16 PM
You're welcome Calvin, Kurt Mohr was the man behind this. I found an old thread when he passed : http://faac.us/adf/messages/150056/161658.html?1195862305

and another one on the French LP's : http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/144678.html?1179084309

mysterysinger
12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Actually, it's worth taking the pledge to receive these fascinating updates.

RossHolloway
12-17-2015, 03:29 PM
In the run up to Motown Mondays in 1966 they recorded the artists in Cleveland. Maybe, one day these recordings will be released as well.

TheMotownManiac
12-17-2015, 04:13 PM
I just pledged. Thank you for the information, I will be as supportive as I can. It's worth it to me just to hear Wild One live and If I had A Hammer. Plus, another People will always be interesting.

theboyfromxtown
12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
I ordered the 2 cd set for £17 and I've been charged for it already!

They dont waste time taking the money do they!

RossHolloway
12-18-2015, 12:38 PM

I think they charge everyone who signs on, I'm ok with it as long as the project goes thru and I receive a copy. Hopefully this is a new avenue to release long sought after Motown projects since Hippo Select seems to be defunct.

longtimefan
01-02-2016, 06:28 PM
I want to purchase this but the "pledge" concept is unsettling and too vague. No responses have been offered to my questions. I am also puzzled that they post the actual names of those folks who have pledged. I cannot support this process -- sadly.

Jimi LaLumia
01-02-2016, 06:30 PM
way too strange of a system for me.. who do you go after if the product is never created and they already have your money? plus they're overseas? no thanks..

jaybs
01-03-2016, 09:42 AM
The idea of Pledge Music is to release material which may not otherwise be made available, it is used often by artists who may not have a record deal, it gives them guaranteed funding and also advance knowledge of the number of discs to be pressed.

Not every pledge item takes money upfront, many set a target to make the project financially possible and only when that is achieved is the money taken, I have supported that many artists in the UK, some have been also artists who were released otherwise dropped.

I think there is the option for your name to be withheld from public listing if that is your wish. many artists offer such as signed CD covers, signed photo's as well, which are never available publically afterwards. I feel this could become a collectors item as they will not be sold from what I understand commercially.

Time is ticking down to the release date now and I am sure the project will do well.

mr soul
01-26-2016, 07:43 PM
It looks like Amazon UK is selling the Vinyl 3LP a month after release.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motortown-Revue-Paris-Various-Artists/dp/B0194C5EHI/ref=sr_1_57?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1453851351&sr=1-57

longtimefan
01-26-2016, 10:02 PM
way too strange of a system for me.. who do you go after if the product is never created and they already have your money? plus they're overseas? no thanks..

I agree. My bank [[credit card issuer) will not process a payment to this organization. I have tried more than once over several weeks. I do not have or plan to have PayPal as an alternative.

What's up with this "pledge" group?

dickiemint
01-27-2016, 06:14 AM
It looks like Amazon UK is selling the Vinyl 3LP a month after release.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motortown-Revue-Paris-Various-Artists/dp/B0194C5EHI/ref=sr_1_57?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1453851351&sr=1-57

The 2CD set is on Amazon too at only £10.99 I just pre ordered mine

lakedistrictlad1
01-27-2016, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't have purchased through 'Pledge' if I had known it was being sold through Amazon. They kept that quiet. Not happy about this rather dodgy website anyhow. I might try opening a dispute through paypal for my money back. Should be covered with consumer rights, etc.

calvin
01-27-2016, 09:12 AM
The 2CD set is on Amazon too at only £10.99 I just pre ordered mine

I wish I hadn't ordered on Pledge Music, but I'm glad that it's being offered on Amazon at a lower price. This means that next time [[if there is a next time) I won't have to bother with Pledge Music.

Seems like a bit of a scam on Universal's part, though - getting their most loyal customers to lock themselves into a higher-price purchase. Shame on you!

reese
01-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Looks as if it will be available at Deep Discount.com as well.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/search?q=motortown+revue+in+paris&mod=AP

mr soul
01-28-2016, 07:45 AM
I feel a pounding in my brain, ice cold water running through my veins, got a bad taste in my mouth from bitter tears, heart feels sad 'cause UNIVERSAL have gone bad!!!

What a F%"&*£$ rip off.

The last order they'll ever get from me.

danman869
01-28-2016, 03:15 PM
It's on Amazon US now for pre-order on a late-March release for about $28. I paid [[via PayPal) the $26[[?) about 4 months ago to Pledge Music [[for the 2-CD deluxe edition) and while they occasionally send out teaser-type emails, there's been nothing about a firm release date from them. Naturally, I want the best deal, but I'm more concerned about possibly being ripped off. I thought that being 'PLEDGE' Music, it meant they were making sure they had a certain amount of/enough buyers committed so they could run a production of CDs. It's a little disconcerting if they're already offering it for pre-order on large retailers. I hope someone from PM comes out with clarification.

mr soul
01-28-2016, 03:56 PM
I was under the impression that these releases were not going to be commercially available, I also found it galling that no concession was given for the size of the order & that postage was being charged 3 times as I order the 3lp 2cd & EP box set.

shoo-be-doo
01-29-2016, 02:23 AM
I think we have all been led up the garden path with this release.

jaybs
01-31-2016, 07:03 AM
I was under the impression that these releases were not going to be commercially available, I also found it galling that no concession was given for the size of the order & that postage was being charged 3 times as I order the 3lp 2cd & EP box set.

This is the first Pledge Offer that have done this, I put a comment up on the website not sure if there has been a response yet, more than disappointed!

** Just noticed Luke has replied! offering a refund, the idea of pledge music is to finance material that would not be released otherwise.

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2016, 08:02 AM
Can you cancel your order with Pledge? I paid £17 for it months ago and it's being offered for £10.99.

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2016, 08:22 AM
I have sent an email asking for an explanation. This is not fair. I feel conned.

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2016, 08:23 AM
This is the first Pledge Offer that have done this, I put a comment up on the website not sure if there has been a response yet, more than disappointed!

** Just noticed Luke has replied! offering a refund, the idea of pledge music is to finance material that would not be released otherwise.

Where is this website that offers a refund? Do you have a link John?

calvin
01-31-2016, 08:40 AM
I requested a refund from PledgeMusic on 27 January. I planned to post the outcome in this forum, but so far I've received no response other than the automatic reply stating that my request "is being reviewed" and they will do their best to get back to me as swiftly as possible.

Universal Music has dropped the ball again, putting their most loyal fans through a time-wasting hassle and giving some of us the feeling of being ripped off. Why couldn't they have just announced this release and stated that it would be made available to major online retailers? What was the point of using PledgeMusic? If some of the related merchandise is only available through PledgeMusic, they could have told us which merchandise.

I think the biggest problem is that UM makes no effort to inform the fans. They don't even bother to maintain a website listing current and upcoming cd/download releases [[classicmotown is not kept up to date). For the downloads, it would also be useful to know in which countries they will be available and when. What little information I get comes from this forum. And sometimes people in this forum are posting product/release information that can only be found on a Universal employee's private facebook page. For a company the size of UM, this is a joke.

I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from the Mandre release. It came out as a download in the US but not, initially, in Europe. Instead, shortly after the download was released in the US, a physical cd of that title came out in Europe on a small label. I wondered, did UM license the new digital master to this label for a physical release, and perhaps there would be no download release in Europe? I could find no information on the internet. I asked in this forum, but no one responded. I bought the cd, and it turned out to be a vinyl rip[[off)! Then, a short time later, the new digital master was released as a download in Europe. Thanks for letting me know, Universal!

calvin
01-31-2016, 09:58 AM
Where is this website that offers a refund? Do you have a link John?

If you go to this project's page and click on "Discussion", you will see Luke's response stating that we can request a refund.

I signed into the website and went to "orders". There, under "contact us about this pledge / changing or canceling my pledge / How can I cancel my pledge", you will find the following instructions:
"Find the order you would like to cancel on this page and click on ‘Make changes to this pledge’. Look for the ‘Cancel pledge’ button on the right-hand side. If the project has reached its goal [[or if you have pledged on a pre-order project), then click ‘Contact us about this pledge’ to request a cancellation."

Now, I couldn't find "make changes to this pledge" or a "cancel pledge" button, I guess because this is a pre-order. So I sent them a message through "contact us about this pledge", choosing the heading "Changing or canceling my pledge." As I posted above, I've been waiting 4 days now for a response.

If anyone has a better way, please let us all know.

It was more difficult to order than through Amazon, and it's more difficult to cancel too!

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the help Calvin. I have just cancelled my order.

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Received an acknowledgment.....well 2 in fact.

In response to a request for an explanation

Your request [[256616) has been received and is being reviewed by the PledgeMusic Customer Service team!
We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests, but will do our best to get back to you as swiftly as possible.
Thank you for your patience and support.
-Team PledgeMusic

In response to my request for a cancellation.

Your request [[256626) has been received and is being reviewed by the PledgeMusic Customer Service team!
We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests, but will do our best to get back to you as swiftly as possible.
Thank you for your patience and support.
-Team PledgeMusic

Calvin...I will be interested to learn when you receive your refund

calvin
01-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Calvin...I will be interested to learn when you receive your refund

John, I got the same email. My request was number 256209 and I'm still waiting. I will post something here when I get a real answer.

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks Calvin

lakedistrictlad1
01-31-2016, 03:07 PM
I tried setting up a dispute through PayPal requesting a refund. That was a week ago. So far no response. So much for consumer protection.

I feel truly conned by pledgemusic, and my contempt for the suits at Universal, who can't seem to organise a p**s up in a brewery, strengthens from one fiasco to another.

jaybs
02-01-2016, 07:01 AM
See how long my refund takes to appear? a very sad episode, and not the way all my other pledges of support have been handled on PLEDGE MUSIC.

calvin
02-01-2016, 09:42 AM
I just got an email from Pledge Music that my refund has been processed, and then another email from paypal that the £17 was credited to me.

booty
02-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Same here ... all within 24 hours of cancelling!

johnny_raven
02-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Same here!

calvin
02-01-2016, 03:17 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure to what extent [[if any) Pledge Music is to blame, and the idea of crowdfunding a release is not bad [[though that's not what this was!). As for Universal Music, what were they thinking? It's not a lot of money but it was a hassle, and it's the principle of the thing. I've already made a couple of bad purchases thanks to a lack of information from UM, and I didn't want to let it happen again.

theboyfromxtown
02-01-2016, 04:17 PM
I just checked and notice that I have a refund to my PAYPAL account of £17.

I feel a bit sad for Pledge and I suspect that they will not be happy too.

calvin
02-01-2016, 04:41 PM
I feel a bit sad for Pledge and I suspect that they will not be happy too.

Yes, I feel the same. Note to Universal Music: if you want your most loyal customers to "pledge" and pay in advance, make sure that they get some benefit out of it that makes their effort worthwhile, instead of penalizing them! It would also help if you announce your intentions up front, so customers know what's going on and don't feel tricked later.

Next time - if there is a next time after this fiasco - I will not jump in and pre-order, I'll wait.

jaybs
02-02-2016, 07:49 AM
I received the generic email response, but then a personal email response to my comment I made in the website, always feel strong about making a comment when their are problems, feel as others have said for Pledge Music, never had problems before with them like this.

calvin
02-02-2016, 08:45 AM
I received the generic email response, but then a personal email response to my comment I made in the website, always feel strong about making a comment when their are problems, feel as others have said for Pledge Music, never had problems before with them like this.

John, I appreciate your comments that you had good experiences with Pledge Music, you shouldn't worry at all about this. My impression is that Pledge Music is a reputable company, and I like the idea of crowdfunding recordings that would otherwise not be released [[though again, that's not what this was). I guess they're a small company so they can't always respond immediately to all their emails and requests. They did refund those of us who asked for it*, and I have nothing against them. As theboyfromxtown posted above, I also feel a bit sad for them, getting all these requests for cancellations.

I guess the problem was more with Universal Music. At the very least, UM could have explained what was going on with this release. It wasn't the first time, and I'm afraid it won't be the last, that UM has left us in the dark with a lack of information about a new release. [[Marvin Gaye Unreleased 1965? And how about the downloads that were released in the US but never in Europe - were these due to licensing issues or perhaps just oversights?)

*It's unclear to me if Pledge Music was legally required to refund us. In the UK, I believe that online consumers have a right to cancel [[for any reason) and be fully refunded from the time an order is placed to 14 days after receiving the item [[provided it's returned unopened). I read the Pledge Music terms and conditions, they state that you can get a refund for crowdfunding projects anytime before the target is met, but once met you have to request a refund and it's at Pledge Music's discretion. [[I didn't see pre-orders mentioned, but they seem more like projects that have reached their target.) It could be that they consider all these "exclusives", emails and website postings restricted to pledgers, as part of the purchase, to argue that pledgers begin receiving the "product" right from the time they order.

jaybs
02-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Calvin, I agree with you it is not the complete blame of Pledge Music, and I accept that, but for many average supporters of these fund raising sites their name will be damaged, so it up to them to come down hard on Universal if they have wrongly misused the idea of pledging.

I have no doubts we will get refunds, but I am unsure if it is Universal why they choose this route if it was always their intention to released the product generally to the market and not as exclusive.

Over past few years I have supported many independent films this way and short films, with only one bad experience, when money was not raised but the pledge money had been taken immediately, when I tried to get a refund I was told they were going to use the money for some other project, but I stood firm, in the end the money was refunded less card charges, but again one out of many, no website pledging should take the money until the money needed is reached.

lakedistrictlad1
02-08-2016, 01:57 PM
I received my refund from Pledgemusic today.

I actually feel bad for them. But i'd also like to know why the price on their site was so much higher than Amazon.

Was that price set by Universal or Pledgemusic themselves?

Anyway, no more Pledgemusic for me. I'll wait till it's cheapest on Amazon marketplace.

762rob
02-15-2016, 09:01 AM
I just received this link in an email from Pledge Music:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/motortownrevueinparis

mysterysinger
02-15-2016, 02:20 PM
I got refund from Pledge on my CD order.

Meanwhile, the French EPs are not yet available via Amazon UK...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Motortown-French-EPs-12-VINYL/dp/B01AVNGBVW/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1455560137&sr=1-5&keywords=motortown

danman869
02-15-2016, 07:32 PM
I received a refund from Pledge Music for my order on the 2-CD set. The CSR who I communicated with via e-mail put the blame for things on Universal. All a big mess.

mr soul
02-27-2016, 06:53 AM
I preordered the 3LP 2CD & EP's box & asked Pledge why were they £92 on Amazon UK & £106 from them. I expected them to price match, they didn't and offered a refund which I took & promptly placed an order with Amazon.

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2016, 07:35 AM
I preordered the 3LP 2CD & EP's box & asked Pledge why were they £92 on Amazon UK & £106 from them. I expected them to price match, they didn't and offered a refund which I took & promptly placed an order with Amazon.

I bet Pledge will think twice about doing anything with Universal in future. Shame...the people at Pledge were very pleasant to me.

mysterysinger
02-27-2016, 03:18 PM
The 2 CD set has increased to £12.99 on pre-release at Amazon. Hope you ordered at £10.99.

mr soul
02-28-2016, 10:26 AM
mysterysinger...sure did order at £10.99 funny how they never come down in price at Amazon these days.

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2016, 12:00 PM
mysterysinger...sure did order at £10.99 funny how they never come down in price at Amazon these days.

Until it's been out for a while....

mr soul
02-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Too true...look at the Early Motown EP's Box now down to £34.70. I paid almost £20 more and I am getting well p... off with Amazon.

mysterysinger
03-04-2016, 04:33 PM
The French Vinyl EP box set is available for pre-order on Amazon priced at £44.99 in the UK.

Beauty!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Motortown-French-VINYL-Various-Artists/dp/B01AVNGBVW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457123378&sr=8-4&keywords=motown

RossHolloway
03-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know the exact release date on this project?

jaybs
03-23-2016, 07:03 AM
I decided to just give up on the whole project, not really interested any longer, handled so badly.

motownjohnny
03-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know the exact release date on this project?

Ross, the only info I have indicates that the date has been moved from 12 February to 25 March.

I'm not sure if that is the release date or the anticipated posting date, but hopefully it should be arriving soon although possibly not until after the Easter Holidays.

RossHolloway
03-23-2016, 02:34 PM
I just received an email from Pledge Music stating that my order has shipped! Fingers crossed!!

motownjohnny
03-23-2016, 02:57 PM
I just received an email from Pledge Music stating that my order has shipped! Fingers crossed!!

Me too, but not much detail as to who the carrier is, when it was actually shipped or when I might expect to receive it. I suspect because of the value of the package a signature to confirm safe delivery will be required, I guess I can expect to take delivery soon after the Easter Holidays. Like you say "fingers crossed".

mysterysinger
03-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Mine arrived today from Amazon UK. A beauty.

booty
03-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Both the CD and EP's are on their way from Amazon UK and due tomorrow.

jack020
03-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Cd is on the way from Amazon uk and 3Lp set bought just 20 minutes ago from Fame record store here in Amsterdam:)

RossHolloway
04-13-2016, 05:01 PM
My copy arrive yesterday and I'm half way thru disc 1. Odd that the show was recorded April 13, 1965 and I'm listening to it exactly 51 years later April 13, 2016. Motown is Forever!

mysterysinger
04-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Even saw it in HMV in Manchester.

carlo
04-17-2016, 10:59 AM
I received my copy earlier last week, very happy with it. Played it all the way through and enjoyed the Martha & the Vandellas live tracks the most. I wish more of their live recordings would be officially released.

Jimi LaLumia
04-17-2016, 01:52 PM
got my 3 LP vinyl and loving it....more please!!

floyjoy678
04-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know if this album will be available through iTunes?

I seem to recall that several of the bonus tracks from this live performance were not issued for a reason, one example I recall was that on "Come See About Me" only Mary could be heard or that the horn section was off.