PDA

View Full Version : Factual Errors in "The Temptations" Movie

test

marv2
11-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Whoever put this together had the right intent, but they missed quite a few factual errors in the Temptations Movie. How many more can you add?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky4gRkA2qj8

soulster
11-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Paul Williams didn't commit suicide outside the studio while they were recording "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" as suggested in the film.

edafan
11-04-2015, 04:48 PM
very good find

edafan

marv2
11-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Paul Williams didn't commit suicide outside the studio while they were recording "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" as suggested in the film.

Exactly! Good one! They had him shooting himself in the temple using the wrong hand......

marv2
11-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Here's one. The movie shows 2 Primes and 3 Primettes performing onstage together. That never happened. First of all there were 3 members of the Primes and 4 members of the Primettes. They never performed together onstage.

arr&bee
11-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...ok,when otis and blue meet berry in the mensroom,blue says-the things you are doing with motown..there was no motown then,it was hitsville..when otis asked blue about the ruffin brothers,otis already knew both of them.

Ngroove
11-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Say, how was the representation of later Temptations on the "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", and Reunion Tour scenes? Was the actors who supposedly played Daimon Harris and Glenn Leonard, just fill-in posers, or "Temptations" in their own rights with acknowledgement on their parts in the legacy? Was their "character's" names on the end credits?

The Temptations, with careers that doubled most of their contemporaries, they were still recording artists when the movie was made and still for several years more, coulda been stretched to three parts, than two. Extend David Ruffin scenes to add in "Since I Lost My Baby", Dennis Edwards for "Runaway Child, Running Wild", "Let Your Hair Down", and "Power" on their Motown return, 1980, Ali-Ollie Woodson for "Treat Her Like A Lady", maybe even 1991's "Hoops of Fire".

marv2
11-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...ok,when otis and blue meet berry in the mensroom,blue says-the things you are doing with motown..there was no motown then,it was hitsville..when otis asked blue about the ruffin brothers,otis already knew both of them.

Boom! Bang! Pow! LOL! You know your stuff!

marv2
11-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Say, how was the representation of later Temptations on the "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", and Reunion Tour scenes? Was the actors who supposedly played Daimon Harris and Glenn Leonard, just fill-in posers, or "Temptations" in their own rights with acknowledgement on their parts in the legacy? Was their "character's" names on the end credits?

The Temptations, with careers that doubled most of their contemporaries, they were still recording artists when the movie was made and still for several years more, coulda been stretched to three parts, than two. Extend David Ruffin scenes to add in "Since I Lost My Baby", Dennis Edwards for "Runaway Child, Running Wild", "Let Your Hair Down", and "Power" on their Motown return, 1980, Ali-Ollie Woodson for "Treat Her Like A Lady", maybe even 1991's "Hoops of Fire".

First let me say, the music was second to the drama. It was like background noise. No the characters Richard Street and Damon Harris were not treated as full fledged Tempts in the film. I don't recall if they even had any speaking parts. The central focus of the film were the original members. They do not mention Ricky Owens, Ron Tyson or Ali Woodson at all by name.

marv2
11-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Here's another huge factual error. They filmed the movie in Pittsburgh and not Detroit! The style of houses are totally different in each city./ Pittsburgh is hilly, while Detroit is mostly flat. Pittsburgh does not look at all like the Detroit of the 50s and 60s.

marv2
11-04-2015, 06:23 PM
I was there the night Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin reunited for the first time. The night they got the idea of putting together an act and taking it on the road. That was on December 31, 1984 at the Premier Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan when Eddie opened for Mary Wilson and her Supremes New Year's Eve gala concert. The film says that there were two Tempts groups on the road at the same time back in 1982. Not true! Also they show Eddie and David meeting at some dive lounge and getting together. Not true!

midnightman
11-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Looking back at the movie, it shows how much DISRESPECT Richard Street got throughout it. Another member is singing "Come On", they have "Dennis" doing his part in "Papa", etc.

I know it was focused on the classic five plus one but you'd think they show Richard more respect than they did in the film...

Also, what got me is how they did David. David was sent to a hospital after he OD'd, not dragged out of a car in what looked like a G-DAMN BLOODY STRUGGLE!!!

Oh and of course Melvin in a wheelchair dying in the kitchen of his mama's home in Detroit. We know he died in a hospital bed in Los Angeles from seizures.

marv2
11-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Looking back at the movie, it shows how much DISRESPECT Richard Street got throughout it. Another member is singing "Come On", they have "Dennis" doing his part in "Papa", etc.

I know it was focused on the classic five plus one but you'd think they show Richard more respect than they did in the film...

Also, what got me is how they did David. David was sent to a hospital after he OD'd, not dragged out of a car in what looked like a G-DAMN BLOODY STRUGGLE!!!

Oh and of course Melvin in a wheelchair dying in the kitchen of his mama's home in Detroit. We know he died in a hospital bed in Los Angeles from seizures.

Ok now you have really hit upon some very sore spots for me. The scene that had Melvin dying in his mother's home was a complete lie. He died in a hospital. David was not thrown from a car [[Thank you Ms. DePasse!). She didn't like him to begin with. Also, because this is OTIS' story which came from his book "Temptations", Richard Street gets treated like he was some bit player. HA! He was in the mix before they even got to Hitsville. He was Diane Ross' boyfriend before Berry and all the rest of them. He sang on many of their hits. He should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! He was also the first member of the Temptations to actually come from Detroit. I grew up with some of his cousins, so I know!

Poor David. They made him look like a complete asshole! Where's the David that would hand money to poor kids on the street; buy them things. He was so very down to Earth, even when he was at the Top!

midnightman
11-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Yeah. Richard got treated like a dog in the film. Just totally UNFAIR to the man who gave TWENTY ONE YEARS to that group, including the early Distants recordings, and that's the thanks he get?! And yeah I forget Suzanne de Passe produced that. She's also the reason the Jacksons' biopic was so jarring to watch... totally forgetting the Jackson 5 were already seasoned professional musicians before signing with Motown for example. Never ever trust Suzanne with a Motown biopic!

And yeah they treated the legendary David Ruffin DIRTY.

marv2
11-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Yeah. Richard got treated like a dog in the film. Just totally UNFAIR to the man who gave TWENTY ONE YEARS to that group, including the early Distants recordings, and that's the thanks he get?! And yeah I forget Suzanne de Passe produced that. She's also the reason the Jacksons' biopic was so jarring to watch... totally forgetting the Jackson 5 were already seasoned professional musicians before signing with Motown for example. Never ever trust Suzanne with a Motown biopic!

This why a bio-pic has not been produced on their biggest group, the Supremes. Too many liberties would to be taken to have a certain diva come out smelling like a rose.

midnightman
11-04-2015, 11:24 PM
This why a bio-pic has not been produced on their biggest group, the Supremes. Too many liberties would to be taken to have a certain diva come out smelling like a rose.

True. The same can be said about Berry Gordy as far as Marvin & Stevie are concerned...

jboy88
11-04-2015, 11:35 PM

The Jackson's movie did have quite a few factual errors, but they didn't come by the dozens like the Tempts though. I'm glad the Marvin Gaye project with Jesse L. Martin fell through. If they can't tell the whole story with the music, they shouldn't tell it at all. If only the producers of the Aaliyah movie had done the same.

midnightman
11-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Yeah I know lol but they still made several factual errors. It sure had unintentional comical errors [[remember the scene where MJ's hair caught on fire and he collapsed DOWN the stairs?! WTF was up with that scene!?) and of course Marlon didn't join the group on the spot with Jackie, Tito and Jermaine. I think Michael joined before Marlon joined, I think lol

But yeah the MG project wouldn't have worked anyway. I actually hope no movie comes out on Marvin or anyone related to him like Tammi. They'll never tell the whole truth anyway. It'll be best for documentaries and such.

marv2
11-05-2015, 12:27 AM
True. The same can be said about Berry Gordy as far as Marvin & Stevie are concerned...

True ,but Berry never pretended to be something other than what he was! If you know his history before and after he became wildly successful, you know he is that same guy. I want to go see him this weekend in Cleveland. He is hard to describe to make people understand that have not met or talk with him before. When I talk to him, it is like talking to one of my uncles or guys my dad knew. His story is currently performed on stage. I doubt we'll see a movie. As you know, he controlled what was presented in "Motown the Musical".

Marvin and Stevie's stories would make good movies. Their families would make very compelling subjects. There should be a statue erected of Stevie's mom somewhere for the all things she had to endure in her life, giving Stevie a start in life....whew!

marv2
11-05-2015, 12:31 AM
The Jackson's movie did have quite a few factual errors, but they didn't come by the dozens like the Tempts though. I'm glad the Marvin Gaye project with Jesse L. Martin fell through. If they can't tell the whole story with the music, they shouldn't tell it at all. If only the producers of the Aaliyah movie had done the same.

Jboy88, that is how I feel. People wanted to believe that Dreamgirls was the true story of the Supremes, when it [[in parts) mostly reflect "events" from Florence Ballard's life. The other characters did not even come close to their real life Motown counterparts in reality.

I am very much looking forward to the film on Little Willie John someday. That should be a action packed, riveting drama to say the least.

marv2
11-05-2015, 12:34 AM
One thing I should have asked Martha was whether or not she was at the Temptations audition and was it like it was depicted in the film. The film never mentions anything about Melvin Franklin and Richard Street being cousins. Nor did they show Rick James around the time of the reunion.

arr&bee
11-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Hey marv,if you really want to knitpik[hehe]when they recorded[just my imagination]eddie was already sporting the gotee that he would wear til his death.

arr&bee
11-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Oh and while we're at it[hehehe]where were melvin's sisters?

midnightman
11-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Yeah I'm mad they didn't at least give Eddie the goatee and mustache when they were recording Just My Imagination lmao they didn't show him with one until a mid-1970s flashback of him recording Boogie Down lol

marv2
11-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Hey marv,if you really want to knitpik[hehe]when they recorded[just my imagination]eddie was already sporting the gotee that he would wear til his death.

You know I like knitpicking LOL! That is true what you said about the goatee, but did you also notice that Eddie Kendricks in the movie was shorter than all the other guys? LOL!

marv2
11-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Yeah I'm mad they didn't at least give Eddie the goatee and mustache when they were recording Just My Imagination lmao they didn't show him with one until a mid-1970s flashback of him recording Boogie Down lol

Yeah see and some folks are always giving Suzanne DePasse such high praise [[mostly misguided Diana Ross fans do that). She always struck me as not having the proper respect for the Motown artists and legacy. She's worked for the company for years and she didn't realize any of this? She just doesn't care....

jboy88
11-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Quite a few people were left out of the story! No mention was made about Otis's other wives or his stepdaughter.

David was depicted as a life long bachelor, when he was really a genial, yet very flawed family man! I understand the use of his character as the comic relief, but they didn't have to go that far! The real David was a jerk with a heart of gold. In the film, he's just a jerk!

marv2
11-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Quite a few people were left out of the story! No mention was made about Otis's other wives or his stepdaughter.

David was depicted as a life long bachelor, when he was really a genial, yet very flawed family man! I understand the use of his character as the comic relief, but they didn't have to go that far! The real David was a jerk with a heart of gold. In the film, he's just a jerk!

Exactly Jboy. He was also very loved and respected. I was at his funeral and man! You should have saw such outpouring from that large, tough Detroit crowd.

They never mentioned Eddie's or Paul's individual business ventures after Tempts. Kendrick's Record store and Paul's restaurant and beauty salon businesses.

arr&bee
11-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Like i've always said,altough i like the tv film a theatrical version should've been done with spike lee directing.

arr&bee
11-05-2015, 06:01 PM
The scene where blue gets shot, he's talking to a hip looking chick who has no idea that he's one of the temps,and maybe i'm wrong on this but wasn't blue driving a rolls that was stolen?

marv2
11-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Like i've always said,altough i like the tv film a theatrical version should've been done with spike lee directing.

Now that makes sense ,but like everything Motown, some and I said some of the people that have control are too damned short sighted. They don't realize that all of those artists are cultural icons to Americans at least and a big budget film would sell!

marv2
11-05-2015, 06:05 PM
The scene where blue gets shot, he's talking to a hip looking chick who has no idea that he's one of the temps,and maybe i'm wrong on this but wasn't blue driving a rolls that was stolen?

I can't remember what kind of car he was driving ,but Jet Magazine did a detailed story on the shooting and follow ups. We look for them on Google.

arr&bee
11-05-2015, 06:33 PM
So many misses,like the fact that eddie called otis about them getting together,the fact that eddie didn't want blue in the group and wasn't quiet about it,the fact that nobody spoke to keep david in the group when it came time for the vote to fire him,the fact the[don't look back]was paul's last lead on a single[totally ignored in the film],the fact the al's hitting paul with the bottle wasn't what got him fired,the fact that eddie didn't like the musical change of direction norman laid out for them....and talk about bad scenes,when they had the party at otis house and no fans were outside.

marv2
11-05-2015, 07:18 PM
So many misses,like the fact that eddie called otis about them getting together,the fact that eddie didn't want blue in the group and wasn't quiet about it,the fact that nobody spoke to keep david in the group when it came time for the vote to fire him,the fact the[don't look back]was paul's last lead on a single[totally ignored in the film],the fact the al's hitting paul with the bottle wasn't what got him fired,the fact that eddie didn't like the musical change of direction norman laid out for them....and talk about bad scenes,when they had the party at otis house and no fans were outside.

Everything you said is right on point. Especially about no fans being outside of Otis' house. In Detroit they were mega-stars and always had kids, groupies following them around. The biggest part from Otis book that was not in the movie and was a complete lie according to Eddie Kendricks was when Otis claimed the the ghost of Paul Williams visited him one night. He said he told Eddie about it and Eddie that Paul came to him too! According to Eddie Kendricks that never happened! LOL!

supremester
11-05-2015, 07:57 PM
All these factoids are impressive, however, don't get carried away - Paul & Eddie WERE the only Primes at some sock hops with The Primettes, for example.

These movies are not meant to be exact - they are BASED on books or historical figures that tell the general gist of the story - not what kind of sox David wore while recording My Girl. So Ollie is not in the movie - so what? No one cares. He belongs in the books - not a movie like this - it's an entertainment piece "about" the Tempts - not a reference guide. Even the books have inaccuracies like Otis' dream, Mary's books include total falsehoods and all books have a lot of spin. I think it was a pretty good film.

marv2
11-05-2015, 08:08 PM
All these factoids are impressive, however, don't get carried away - Paul & Eddie WERE the only Primes at some sock hops with The Primettes, for example.

These movies are not meant to be exact - they are BASED on books or historical figures that tell the general gist of the story - not what kind of sox David wore while recording My Girl. So Ollie is not in the movie - so what? No one cares. He belongs in the books - not a movie like this - it's an entertainment piece "about" the Tempts - not a reference guide. Even the books have inaccuracies like Otis' dream, Mary's books include total falsehoods and all books have a lot of spin. I think it was a pretty good film.

So what? They did a piss pour job with the facts. That is why you have kids that ask me shit like, "So who replace Effie in the Supremes"! This is our history whether you like it or not. It is important that Kel Osborne be represented in such a film if even only to his family and friends!

Suzanne DePasse sucks when it comes to making movies that are Motown related.

marv2
11-05-2015, 08:19 PM
There you go again disparaging Mary Wilson's book again as it is coming up on its 30th Anniversary. Her book was epic! Everyone read it and no one has sued yet! Why? Because it was completely true, everything that she said. Now if you listened to Sandra Bernhard's interview with Mary this week on Sirius Radio, you would have her Mary's opinion on her book once again. She even stated that she hopes Diane can forgive her for telling ................THE TRUTH! Now since Mary claims for the umpteenth time it is all true and Diane has not disputed one word of it in nearly 30 years. Why should anybody on Earth listen to you call THEIR story false? You were nowhere around Detroit or anywhere they were living their lives during those days. You make yourself look ridiculous trying to dispute someone else' lives that you don't even TRULY know!

Otis wrote his book based on how he saw things. The difference I noticed in Otis' book vs say Mary Wilson's , Martha Reeves and even Raynoma Singleton's book is that he never said much about anything he himself he did wrong. He comes out looking like the Knight in shining armour. The salt of the Earth. The stable and mature one all the way back to his high school days. Yeah right! Others said things about themselves that were not very flattering in an effort to be truthful about their lives. Well I am reading Richard Streets autobiography, "Ball of Confusion, My Life As A Temptin' Temptation". In it, Otis Williams does not come off looking too swell.

marv2
11-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Oh and another thing. "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" was the most successful music related autobiography of all time! It sold in the millions in hardback and paperback versions around the World. Today, it can be found in just about every school, college and public library.

vgalindo
11-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Oh and another thing. "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" was the most successful music related autobiography of all time! It sold in the millions in hardback and paperback versions around the World. Today, it can be found in just about every school, college and public library.
It was such a big hit because the name Diana Ross was mentioned all through the book! Mary's second book Supreme Faith sure wasn't a big seller. That's because it didn't focus on Diana.

vgalindo
11-05-2015, 09:00 PM
There you go again disparaging Mary Wilson's book again as it is coming up on its 30th Anniversary. Her book was epic! Everyone read it and no one has sued yet! Why? Because it was completely true, everything that she said. Now if you listened to Sandra Bernhard's interview with Mary this week on Sirius Radio, you would have her Mary's opinion on her book once again. She even stated that she hopes Diane can forgive her for telling ................THE TRUTH! Now since Mary claims for the umpteenth time it is all true and Diane has not disputed one word of it in nearly 30 years. Why should anybody on Earth listen to you call THEIR story false? You were nowhere around Detroit or anywhere they were living their lives during those days. You make yourself look ridiculous trying to dispute someone else' lives that you don't even TRULY know!

Otis wrote his book based on how he saw things. The difference I noticed in Otis' book vs say Mary Wilson's , Martha Reeves and even Raynoma Singleton's book is that he never said much about anything he himself he did wrong. He comes out looking like the Knight in shining armour. The salt of the Earth. The stable and mature one all the way back to his high school days. Yeah right! Others said things about themselves that were not very flattering in an effort to be truthful about their lives. Well I am reading Richard Streets autobiography, "Ball of Confusion, My Life As A Temptin' Temptation". In it, Otis Williams does not come off looking too swell.
Just because nobody sues does not mean it was all true. Some people don't sue because it gets more publicity. Why isn't anybody suing Suzanne DePasse if there are so many lies in her movies on Motown artists! Does that mean everything in the movies are true because nobody has sued!

marv2
11-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Just because nobody sues does not mean it was all true. Some people don't sue because it gets more publicity. Why isn't anybody suing Suzanne DePasse if there are so many lies in her movies on Motown artists! Does that mean everything in the movies are true because nobody has sued!

It was all true! Mary Wilson really told it! Get over it. No one is suing Suzanne DePasse or has sued her to my knowledge [[and that is very important to keep in mind.....) because most of the principles in the story are now deceased! Do you understand that fact?

I want Mary to write a follow book and include all the things she left out of the first two books.

marv2
11-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Hey Vgalindo , Someone did sue Suzanne DePasse re: The Temptations movie. I said earlier that it is usually big Diana Ross fans that heap praise on Ms. DePasse . You are a die hard fan of Diane's. Check it out:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1408617.html

marv2
11-05-2015, 09:47 PM
It was such a big hit because the name Diana Ross was mentioned all through the book! Mary's second book Supreme Faith sure wasn't a big seller. That's because it didn't focus on Diana.

Well there must have been a lot of people that wanted to have it verified just what kind of person Miss Ross really is and they got it! LOL!

midnightman
11-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Wasn't Otis' "Temptations" book a best-seller?

midnightman
11-06-2015, 01:41 AM
Yeah see and some folks are always giving Suzanne DePasse such high praise [[mostly misguided Diana Ross fans do that). She always struck me as not having the proper respect for the Motown artists and legacy. She's worked for the company for years and she didn't realize any of this? She just doesn't care....

She really didn't. In fact, she was the one who, if she really had her way, Marvin [[who jumped on being part of Motown 25 as soon as he was given the offer), Mary Wells and Martha Reeves wouldn't have been on the show but Berry wanted everyone there, least the ones he wanted.

I can't imagine Suzanne doing a MG movie. She would've found a way to flub it up!

midnightman
11-06-2015, 01:42 AM

The real life David definitely was more complex than the cartoon character David in the film...

midnightman
11-06-2015, 01:43 AM
Everything you said is right on point. Especially about no fans being outside of Otis' house. In Detroit they were mega-stars and always had kids, groupies following them around. The biggest part from Otis book that was not in the movie and was a complete lie according to Eddie Kendricks was when Otis claimed the the ghost of Paul Williams visited him one night. He said he told Eddie about it and Eddie that Paul came to him too! According to Eddie Kendricks that never happened! LOL!

Otis has quite a vivid imagination, doesn't he?! Paul's ghost? Really!? LOL

marv2
11-06-2015, 02:19 AM
Wasn't Otis' "Temptations" book a best-seller?

I don't think it was. I bought it the week it was released and after what happened with Mary's first book, I followed how the books I bought sold. I would remember if Otis' book was a best -seller.

marv2
11-06-2015, 02:21 AM
Otis has quite a vivid imagination, doesn't he?! Paul's ghost? Really!? LOL

Yes he does. There was a video on Youtube a few years back when Eddie Kendricks gave his opinion of the book and when pointed out the ghost story as an example of things that were not true in the book.....then he rolled his eyes. LOL!

JL2648
11-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Here's another huge factual error. They filmed the movie in Pittsburgh and not Detroit! The style of houses are totally different in each city./ Pittsburgh is hilly, while Detroit is mostly flat. Pittsburgh does not look at all like the Detroit of the 50s and 60s.

See:
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2014/12/30/Steel-City-once-stood-in-for-Motor-City-in-miniseries/stories/201412300033

marv2
11-06-2015, 11:19 AM
See:
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2014/12/30/Steel-City-once-stood-in-for-Motor-City-in-miniseries/stories/201412300033

A great article and thank you so much JL2648. It confirms what I said about Suzanne DePasse!

arr&bee
11-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Hey marv,don't be too hard on otis,as far as i know his book[temptations]is the most complete history of the group to date,of course if you've read a better history let me know.

marv2
11-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Hey marv,don't be too hard on otis,as far as i know his book[temptations]is the most complete history of the group to date,of course if you've read a better history let me know.

I know. I don't mean to be hard on him, it's that Suzanne DePasse person I must be hard on. Love Otis and respect that he is a true survivor.

midnightman
11-06-2015, 06:22 PM
A great article and thank you so much JL2648. It confirms what I said about Suzanne DePasse!

Didn't she also suggest the Jacksons biopic be filmed in Pittsburgh? I think I read one of the Jackson bios that mention that... what is that woman's fascination with Pittsburgh!?

marv2
11-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Didn't she also suggest the Jacksons biopic be filmed in Pittsburgh? I think I read one of the Jackson bios that mention that... what is that woman's fascination with Pittsburgh!?

She might have. She may have a boyfriend there or something. I wouldn't be surprised if she had of suggested they do it in her backyard! She also takes credit for discovering them in some places I read.............

captainjames
11-07-2015, 01:56 AM
The only thing I will say is that without Suzanne DePasse is there are a lot of things that I enjoy today that would not have come to light. She was instrumental to Motown in the day of entertainment moving pass just records. If memory serves me right Cindy was the wonder who introduce her to the right folks at Motown to begin the marriage of Motown, DePasse and Gordy. Things could have been a bit bad without her.

vgalindo
11-07-2015, 02:04 AM
The only thing I will say is that without Suzanne DePasse is there are a lot of things that I enjoy today that would not have come to light. She was instrumental to Motown in the day of entertainment moving pass just records. If memory serves me right Cindy was the wonder who introduce her to the right folks at Motown to begin the marriage of Motown, DePasse and Gordy. Things could have been a bit bad without her.
I agree with you. We would have never had "Motown 25" and several other projects if it were not for DePasse. It's really funny the die hard Mary Wilson fans have so much hate for this woman. LOL

marv2
11-07-2015, 02:10 AM

Without Suzanne DePasse Motown would probably still have a presence in Detroit. Some of the Gordy's may still own and be involved in the company. Cindy introduced her to Mr. Gordy. When Cindy was working at Motown in a non -musical capacity, Ms. DePasse and her staff looked down on her and made things rougher than they had to be. So much for true friendship I guess. Anyway this thread was about factual errors found in the Temptations Movie.

marv2
11-07-2015, 02:12 AM
I agree with you. We would have never had "Motown 25" and several other projects if it were not for DePasse. It's really funny the die hard Mary Wilson fans have so much hate for this woman. LOL

Yes we would have and it may have been an even better show because it would have included far more members of the Motown family. Especially the artists and staff that built the company from Detroit. It would have just been someone else producing it and hopefully someone far more competent!

marv2
11-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Here is an error I did not pick up on the first time:

When Otis gets off the tour bus and comes over to kiss Josephine, his hair changes from processed to natural, before he kisses her. LOL!

marv2
11-07-2015, 02:24 AM
They must been having some audio problems because when lead singer Dennis Edwards' voice is totally different when singing "Cloud Nine" than it is when he is singing "Psychedelic Shack." you can tell that it is a completely different singer's voice.

marv2
11-07-2015, 02:28 AM
Here's a big lie Suzanne DePasse told about David Ruffin in the movie. David Ruffin is portrayed as missing a Reunion tour date by engaging in a crack cocaine binge. While the tour occurred in 1982, crack cocaine did not appear on the streets until 1984 and mainly in 1986 in Philly where I was living and where David supposedly O'd several years later. What was up with that?

marv2
11-07-2015, 02:30 AM
More of her sloppy work on this film includes the following......

The beginning of the film is supposed to take place in 1958, yet the song played over the opening credits is "I Just Can't Help It" by Jackie Wilson, a record that was recorded and released in 1962. How was that possible?

midnightman
11-07-2015, 04:07 AM
^^ That was actually pretty libelous. We knew Ruff was missing gigs but they over dramatized it as they often do.

marv2
11-07-2015, 04:36 AM
^^ That was actually pretty libelous. We knew Ruff was missing gigs but they over dramatized it as they often do.

She did not like him. She refused to invite David or Eddie Kendricks to participate in Motown 25. She told Eddie to buy a ticket! That is the same thing James Jamerson was told before he died.

arr&bee
11-07-2015, 12:25 PM
I alway thought that the reason they weren't included was that he and eddie cussed out the excecs at the meeting.

marv2
11-07-2015, 12:40 PM
I alway thought that the reason they weren't included was that he and eddie cussed out the excecs at the meeting.

That was not true as for what I heard. But if it were, then they provoked him! They may have put that out there. I know how rude and condescending Suzanne was to Mary Wilson when discussing participating in the show. I heard that Eddie asked about their inclusion and was told to go buy a ticket and sit in the audience! It was also put out that Eddie and David were in no condition to perform which was a lie. The performed splendidly with Hall & Oates at the Apollo. Motown also excluded them from the show "Motown Returns to the Apollo".

Cat of the Marvelettes told me they didn't even call any of them. Gladys Knight & the Pips boycotted the show for other reasons, so did Rick James!

marv2
11-07-2015, 12:59 PM
A lot of these factual errors were picked up by many other people and they have posted them around the internet. These people do not have a bone to pick or an axe to grind. They just noted sloppy production work.

arr&bee
11-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks for clearing that up,it was said that rick was on tour and couldn't make it,i know about gladys and it was a damn shame the marvelettes weren't included,i know the show was for charity and that's cool but it wasn't done right because the artist after doing a medley should've come on and do one of thier classics,can you imagine the temps singing[my girl]with david.

marv2
11-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks for clearing that up,it was said that rick was on tour and couldn't make it,i know about gladys and it was a damn shame the marvelettes weren't included,i know the show was for charity and that's cool but it wasn't done right because the artist after doing a medley should've come on and do one of thier classics,can you imagine the temps singing[my girl]with david.

Nope , this is what he said out of his own mouth during an interview I saw on television in Denver at the time. He said that he did not want to appear on a show with a bunch of artists that had left the company just for more money. He said he did not want to appear as a hypocrite pretending to celebrate something that they ran away from. At that time Diana Ross had left Motown for RCA to everyone's disbelief, so folks thought his comments were mainly directed at her. I don't know. Gladys and them refused because they felt that it should have been the artists that were being celebrated and honored rather than Mr. Gordy and the company!

After the taping Marvin Gaye called Cat of the Marvelettes and asked her where were they? Cat told him that she and the others were not invited. He blew a gasket after hearing this.

arr&bee
11-07-2015, 01:44 PM
And what f##k was adam ant doing there anyhow?

marv2
11-07-2015, 03:17 PM
And what f##k was adam ant doing there anyhow?

Ask Suzanne!!!!

midnightman
11-07-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm sure Marvin was ticked off in more ways than one. Also, Suzanne didn't want Marvin doing "Sexual Healing" but she didn't have a problem telling the King of Pop that he can do "Billie Jean". Marvin, from what I recalled, was very disgusted by that since "Sexual Healing" was a hit at the same time as "Billie Jean" and was still in the top 40 [[I think) when Motown 25 was taped.

I thought it was weird when instead of Rick James, they had High Inergy. It's understandable why DeBarge was there but High Inergy was already on the downwards slope when they appeared. And Adam Ant being featured is one of the biggest head scratches in entertainment history. I like Adam's music but he didn't fit Motown at all.

marv2
11-07-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm sure Marvin was ticked off in more ways than one. Also, Suzanne didn't want Marvin doing "Sexual Healing" but she didn't have a problem telling the King of Pop that he can do "Billie Jean". Marvin, from what I recalled, was very disgusted by that since "Sexual Healing" was a hit at the same time as "Billie Jean" and was still in the top 40 [[I think) when Motown 25 was taped.

I thought it was weird when instead of Rick James, they had High Inergy. It's understandable why DeBarge was there but High Inergy was already on the downwards slope when they appeared. And Adam Ant being featured is one of the biggest head scratches in entertainment history. I like Adam's music but he didn't fit Motown at all.

Add to that Linda Ronstadt being allowed to sing two songs with Smokey, whereas the one solo promised to Mary Wilson was withdrawn before rehearsals even started. TG Shepard got a spot on stage , but not the Contours, Ruffin & Kendricks, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Marvelettes, Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers, Rare Earth, Marv Johnson and on and on and on........ Mary Wells , Jr. Walker and Martha Reeves got what? Something like 20 -30 seconds a piece!

midnightman
11-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Yeah, it was just outright despicable. And then at the end, it wasn't any of the old Motown acts or Berry Gordy himself that got the biggest news. Once MJ came and went, nothing else mattered, really. And the show afterwards became quite forgettable, not that it was that memorable minus J5/MJ and Marvin Gaye's performances [[probably the only great performances of the night).

SupremeBoy
11-10-2015, 10:20 AM

Another factual error in regards to the Jacksons movie is that DePasse was not the glamorous, drop dead gorgeous woman that Vanessa Williams portrayed in the film...and Holly Robinson Peete as Diana Ross?!?! Umm, no...just no.

marv2
11-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Another factual error in regards to the Jacksons movie is that DePasse was not the glamorous, drop dead gorgeous woman that Vanessa Williams portrayed in the film...and Holly Robinson Peete as Diana Ross?!?! Umm, no...just no.

Of course she would cast a former Miss America to play herself when in reality, well......you know! LOL!!!!!

marv2
11-10-2015, 12:59 PM

As you can see from the photo below, Suzanne DePasse is a very large woman:

SupremeBoy
11-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Without Suzanne DePasse Motown would probably still have a presence in Detroit. Some of the Gordy's may still own and be involved in the company. Cindy introduced her to Mr. Gordy. When Cindy was working at Motown in a non -musical capacity, Ms. DePasse and her staff looked down on her and made things rougher than they had to be. So much for true friendship I guess. Anyway this thread was about factual errors found in the Temptations Movie.

That is not how Suzanne DePasse got into Motown Records. Suzanne DePasse was the talent booker for a [[now defuct) disco in New York City called "The Cheetah". She had trouble booking Motown acts into the club she wrote letters to Berry Gordy himself detailing her frustrations and criticizing Motown's business practices. These letters were brought to Gordy's attention, who was impressed with her business acumen. They met and he offered her a job as his creative assistant.

Cindy was still in the Supremes and Diana had not yet left the group when Gordy hired DePasse. DePasse was hired in 1968 around the time that Motown was branching out into TV with the Supremes/Tempts special, "TCB". DePasse was present at the rehearsals and tapings of the special.

SupremeBoy
11-10-2015, 01:22 PM
And don't get me started on Billy Dee Williams as Berry Gordy.

Here is Suzanne DePasse in 1969 with the J5.

marv2
11-10-2015, 03:36 PM
That is not how Suzanne DePasse got into Motown Records. Suzanne DePasse was the talent booker for a [[now defuct) disco in New York City called "The Cheetah". She had trouble booking Motown acts into the club she wrote letters to Berry Gordy himself detailing her frustrations and criticizing Motown's business practices. These letters were brought to Gordy's attention, who was impressed with her business acumen. They met and he offered her a job as his creative assistant.

Cindy was still in the Supremes and Diana had not yet left the group when Gordy hired DePasse. DePasse was hired in 1968 around the time that Motown was branching out into TV with the Supremes/Tempts special, "TCB". DePasse was present at the rehearsals and tapings of the special.

Well then you'd better tell Cindy Birdsong to quit lying because she told everyone that it was SHE who introduced Berry to Suzanne DePasse! Yes it was after she had joined the Supremes.

SupremeBoy
11-10-2015, 04:32 PM
I owe you an apology marv2. When I am wrong I am man enough to own up to it and admit it. I mis-read your original post. I thought you wrote that Cindy introduced De Passe to Gordy when she was working for Motown in a non-Musical capacity.

I would never question Cindy Birdsong's integrity.

I believe that Cindy did introduce De Passe to Berry and she was still in the Supremes. Suzanne was actually working for the Howard Stein Talent Agency by that time.

Some sources state that De Passe was working at the Cheetah and some state she was already at Howard Stein, some mention Cindy's introduction of the two, some leave that fact out.

So, again I do apologize to you marv2.

arr&bee
11-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Hey gang,we have fun laughing at the missteps in the movie,but it wasn't all bad what are the favorite things...she girls alright with me-beauty's only skin deep,the highlights for me the actors do a good job with those two.

marv2
11-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Hey gang,we have fun laughing at the missteps in the movie,but it wasn't all bad what are the favorite things...she girls alright with me-beauty's only skin deep,the highlights for me the actors do a good job with those two.

My favorite and most memorable part was when they were in studio A auditioning and Berry accepts them into Hitsville.

dvdmike
12-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Smokey Robinson did not sing at Melvin Franklin's burial. He was in Europe at the time.

arr&bee
12-19-2015, 02:40 PM
When eddie left the temps paul was still there,for a while.

marv2
12-19-2015, 03:55 PM
When eddie left the temps paul was still there,for a while.

That is true. He was there for Ricky Owens disastrous tenure.

arr&bee
12-19-2015, 04:32 PM
In an early scene otis walks into the barbershop and[bad girl]is playing only problem-the scene is from[1958]bad girl came out in[1959].

midnightman
12-19-2015, 05:52 PM
She might have. She may have a boyfriend there or something. I wouldn't be surprised if she had of suggested they do it in her backyard! She also takes credit for discovering them in some places I read.............

Did she really? Ew. I hate people trying to pretend MJ's career began in Motown. SMH

midnightman
12-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Smokey Robinson did not sing at Melvin Franklin's burial. He was in Europe at the time.

That was obviously a Suzanne de Passe thing lol

Smokey recorded "Really Gonna Miss You" for the biopic, much like "Let's Stay with Love" was written for the Jacksons' movie.

marv2
12-19-2015, 06:39 PM
That was obviously a Suzanne de Passe thing lol

Smokey recorded "Really Gonna Miss You" for the biopic, much like "Let's Stay with Love" was written for the Jacksons' movie.

I guess she did not realize that the Temptations are HUGE and have a legion of long time, loyal fans. We all knew when and where Melvin Franklin died. Jet Magazine carried the story! They glossed over Eddie's death completely.