PDA

View Full Version : Motown and the tale of "Born This Way" [[my little essay lol)

test

midnightman
10-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Motown has already been in the history books as one of the most pioneering record labels of all time [[not of its time, but all time) and that still is a true statement.

But I was struck with how even the gay community hasn't made a 40th anniversary tribute to one of the very first records where an artist declared their sexuality.

By 1975, it had been six years since the New York City's Stonewall Uprising [[and nine years if you count San Francisco's Compton Cafeteria's uprising in 1966) helped to create the modern day LGBTQ+ civil rights movement that exists today. But, I guess, by then, there wasn't really any song that talked about gay issues. I guess you can say Funkadelic, the Miracles and Rod Stewart can make claim to that since some of their records talked positively of their gay/bi subjects [[I think Funkadelic's "Jimmy's Got a Little Bit of Bitch in Him" is subtle that they don't blurt out his sexuality so I assume they meant Jimmy was bi in terms of saying "he's got a little bit of bitch" but dare I say it, looking back, the song is kinda misogynistic).

But until then there had been no real "anthem" to celebrate the LGBT community. Most had to identify with songs to make it their anthems. Mostly by female artists. Something that still stands today. But you could go back to the '20s, '30s, '40s, '50s and '60s and some were finding ways to talk about gay life, just not an "anthem" for them.

But in 1975, just two years after homosexuality was no longer declared a "disease", two songwriters, Bunny Jones and Chris Spierer, were determined to create such an anthem. So that year, they wrote the song "I Was Born This Way". The first artist to record it was an openly gay black singer named Charles Harris, who went by the stage name Valentino. Harris recorded it under the Motown distributed label of Gaiee Records. Frankie Crocker played it on WBLS where it became a hit. The original version became an early favorite of the discos around America.

Two years later, openly gay gospel-soul artist Carl Bean signed with Motown and with Hal Davis, who was proven to be a pioneering disco producer by this point, helped to produce and arrange the original version into a more celebrated production where Bean defiantly spoke his truth and preached [[not long afterwards, Bean became an actual preacher and is one of the few openly gay preachers today) his message of pride. This version, released in 1977, hit the dance and disco charts becoming a signature staple for the gay community from then on, inspiring versions by other openly gay artists such as Magnus Carlsson and the legendary Jimmy Somerville.

So I was stuck with why no one here has talked about it. I mean regardless of how some people may feel, I feel the two versions were an important milestone in not only Motown's history but in pop history. I just like some recognition for this. Maybe there is, but I don't know lol

Anyway, where would Lady Gaga have been if this song haven't come out, hmm? :cool:

thommg
10-21-2015, 12:08 PM
I used to frequent the gay dance clubs in Washington DC during this time and I have to say this song was not a huge song there. I don't usually think of it when compiling lists of disco songs [[which I have done a couple of times in the last 2 years). Many songs from that era were one off hits for the artist and you never heard of them again. That could be why this one is forgotten - it has been usurped by better known titles by artists that are more familiar.

midnightman
10-21-2015, 12:09 PM
^ I guess that's true. Since both Valentino and Carl Bean can be considered obscure, I don't know. But the song, especially Carl's version, is a stone soul jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWoiHkSgVl8

144man
10-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Gaiee only became a Motown distributed label after the event. The earlier release carried a catalogue number [[7640} different from the Motown-distributed release [[90001).

midnightman
10-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Gaiee only became a Motown distributed label after the event. The earlier release carried a catalogue number [[7640} different from the Motown-distributed release [[90001).

Thanks, had no idea that Gaiee itself was a vanity label but that makes sense.

BigAl
10-21-2015, 04:47 PM
I remember only the Carl Bean version. A friend who DJ'ed at a local gay club got the extended mix in his weekly bunch of discs from the record pool he belonged to [[remember record pools?) and played it for me. I liked the message but thought the song as a whole was pretty musically formulaic and so did he. Still, he put it into his rotation to see what kind of response it would get. Sadly, that response was tepid at best. Musically, it just didn't grab anyone's attention and while it wasn't terrible enough to clear the dance floor or anything, it didn't beckon any dancers onto it, either. He kept it in his rotation for a month or so, trying different songs on either side of it, but it just went nowhere.

midnightman
10-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Interesting take, BigAl... hmm had no idea the reaction to it wasn't as strong... then again when Lady Gaga released her own "Born This Way", I remember reading that the floor cleared when that song played. :/

BigAl
10-21-2015, 07:27 PM
After this "Born This Way" before and Lady Gaga's, Dusty Springfield recorded her own "Born This Way," also a different song. It appeared on her 1990 Reputation album which was produced in part by The Pet Shop Boys. Her "Born This Way" was a solid rocker and always got a good response on the dance floor, but it was rarely played.