PDA

View Full Version : Nineties Motown Artists....

test

Ngroove
10-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Yes, am aware, as this board is mostly headed as "Detroit" Motown forums, and naturally, when most thinks of "Motown" 90% most likely the first that pops in our ears, heads, hearts, was the Golden Age Detroit period, 1959-1971, 1972-73 tops. There has also, as of course Stevie Wonder's / Marvin Gaye's / Diana Ross' artistic pinnacles, plenty of discussion on the seventies, sometimes some discussion on the eighties too.

But, as yes, to many, the year "1991", or even "1988", the year many would define the company's definite change, starting with in ownership. I am bringing up this discussion topic, simply because out of my love for ALL, or at least most, of Motown, including time periods. Last new Motown company album bought, Babyface / Toni Braxton's "Love, Marriage, & Divorce".

And frankly, it just often saddens me, when on most Motown collection compilations, when it reaches the nineties decade, "Boyz II Men". That's it. C'mon now, even the eighties, as far as "newer artists" of note goes, had Rick James / Teena Marie / DeBarge / Lionel Richie, and in some degrees, Dazz Band. Boyz II Men, yes, they did have a set a memorable enough numbers, that probably has many saying, upon hearing them, "That's my Tune!", and my opinion, so do they:

Johnny Gill. Really, this guy has the voice range, dedication, talent, and overall character, to be should be recognized just as much of a Soul Man as the best; Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pendergrass, Barry White, Luther Vandross, ect. He has some sizeable enough hits [["Where Do We Go From Here", "Rub You The Right Way", "My, My, My", "Wrap My Body Tight", "Fairweather Friend") with other great enough hits [["There U Go", "Let's Get The Mood Right", "Quiet Time To Play") a generous hunk of the decade.

Zhane: Okay, for all I know, they only made a couple albums [["Pronounced Jah-Nay", Saturday Night") but they had real grooves, real harmonies, real talent, real voices, even at the minimalist of background music, as could be seen / heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kk-e9J-w4c

marv2
10-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Yes, am aware, as this board is mostly headed as "Detroit" Motown forums, and naturally, when most thinks of "Motown" 90% most likely the first that pops in our ears, heads, hearts, was the Golden Age Detroit period, 1959-1971, 1972-73 tops. There has also, as of course Stevie Wonder's / Marvin Gaye's / Diana Ross' artistic pinnacles, plenty of discussion on the seventies, sometimes some discussion on the eighties too.

But, as yes, to many, the year "1991", or even "1988", the year many would define the company's definite change, starting with in ownership. I am bringing up this discussion topic, simply because out of my love for ALL, or at least most, of Motown, including time periods. Last new Motown company album bought, Babyface / Toni Braxton's "Love, Marriage, & Divorce".

And frankly, it just often saddens me, when on most Motown collection compilations, when it reaches the nineties decade, "Boyz II Men". That's it. C'mon now, even the eighties, as far as "newer artists" of note goes, had Rick James / Teena Marie / DeBarge / Lionel Richie, and in some degrees, Dazz Band. Boyz II Men, yes, they did have a set a memorable enough numbers, that probably has many saying, upon hearing them, "That's my Tune!", and my opinion, so do they:

Johnny Gill. Really, this guy has the voice range, dedication, talent, and overall character, to be should be recognized just as much of a Soul Man as the best; Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pendergrass, Barry White, Luther Vandross, ect. He has some sizeable enough hits [["Where Do We Go From Here", "Rub You The Right Way", "My, My, My", "Wrap My Body Tight", "Fairweather Friend") with other great enough hits [["There U Go", "Let's Get The Mood Right", "Quiet Time To Play") a generous hunk of the decade.

Zhane: Okay, for all I know, they only made a couple albums [["Pronounced Jah-Nay", Saturday Night") but they had real grooves, real harmonies, real talent, real voices, even at the minimalist of background music, as could be seen / heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kk-e9J-w4c

Zhane very popular and on the radio often in NYC.

marv2
10-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Johnny Gill [[even though I know I can dance better than this! LOL) I think he did an ok job on this number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUvtlmlBbDg

Ngroove
10-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Always loved that song / video. A tad risque, but when one comes of age, everyone, everything needs a little spice so often, otherwise life's just plain. Pumping, highly danceable.

First heard / seen of Johnny Gill: he showed up / was mentioned, in a couple episodes of Family Matters. Laura Winslow going nuts, Rachel's face when he was singing "My, My, My" over her, priceless.

Although my favorite number of his, as somehow, I tend to enjoy a number of artists' mid-charter numbers over the same old, "top ten" stuff anyways, "The Floor". My opinion, double the sweat, double the threat, double the pumping danceability, as its message is for "The Floor" after all. Even made "Grab me a lollipop" a memorable hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAb05qK-Us4

702: By the time I heard "Where My Girls At?" The first set of times around, I have to admit, I actually first thought I was listening to Destiny's Child.

Well, like many of you guys on the board do recall your personal, sentimental, stories, memories, with music you love; mine was, to partly give away my age range, my adolescence was around the late nineties, and my Saturday night rituals was mainly around the warm glow of Nickelodeon's "Snick". And, it did on those days heavily promoted R&B / urban music of its day. I first heard of Usher as he was a musical guest on All That. Coolio did the theme of Kenan & Kel, as well as Tamia prominently showed up in a memorable enough episode. As a nut on Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell those days, of course, I would watch Good Burger. 702 not only was a good part of their soundtrack, "All I Want", before I knew what a "Steelo" was, this was another highly fun show I used to funly watch that time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtjoajJWidE

Another memory of them; playing a key part of an episode of Sister, Sister, when their "Get It Together" was used to re-hook up Tia and Tamera with their boyfriends.

soulster
10-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Johnny Gill was the best thing to come out of New Edition, but never reached his full sales potential under the Motown label.

marybrewster
10-16-2015, 09:46 AM
I'll age myself; I was in high school from 1987 - 1991. As a fan of the "classic" Motown sound, this "new" era of Motown really excited me.

While, as mentioned above, Boyz II Men usually get all of the credit for the hits of this period, I can also clearly recall Shanice's "I Love Your Smile", Zhane's "Hey Mr. DJ", Another Bad Creation's "Iesha", and The Boys "Dial My Heart". ABC and The Boys were similar to another group of the era, Perfect Gentlemen [[which included the son of Maurice Starr); they had a minor hit with "Oh La La" [[anyone remember them?) Another group I got into was "The Good Girls" who did a cover of the Supremes "LILAIIMH".

While none of these artists or songs can compare to the 60's and 70's artists, there still was some good music. It interesting though, and what a testament to Mr. Gordy; he could see the potential in groups like the Supremes and the Temptations. Most of the 90's artists were dropped after one or two albums; a few failed singles. Mr. Gordy refined his artists; put them through Artist Development, made them stars, and the rest is history.

Bluebrock
10-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Johnny Gill was the best thing to come out of New Edition, but never reached his full sales potential under the Motown label.

I totally agree. He should have been the new Teddy Pendergrass. He had the looks, voice and stage presence. His songs were not always top notch but he always got the best out of whichever songs he was given. He supported Janet Jackson on a UK tour in the early 90's and he literally blew her off stage [[not difficult I hear you say) but unlike Ms Jackson he sang live and was quite magnificent. It remains a crying shame he did not attain superstar status.
Another 90's Motown star was the late Tim Miner. I believe he only made one album but that album contained a beautiful song called "heart" which was very Michael Mcdonald ish and is well worth seeking out.
I also rated Zhane who both possessed fine voices and were certainly far better musically than their more successful so called chart rivals of the time.

sansradio
10-16-2015, 10:29 AM
The almighty Rosie Gaines also released her excellent fourth album, Closer Than Close, on Motown in 1995. It was like the second coming of Etta James.

marv2
10-16-2015, 11:04 AM
The almighty Rosie Gaines also released her excellent fourth album, Closer Than Close, on Motown in 1995. It was like the second coming of Etta James.

Rosie could JAM!!! I met her in 1990. I also had the chance to see her perform with Prince at his only U.S. concert in '90 in St. Paul, MN.

Bluebrock
10-16-2015, 11:20 AM

Yes I had forgotten about the wonderful Rosie's one and only album, and what a good one it was. Also By All Means released a decent album at Motown around this period .

sansradio
10-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Yes, y'all, she's a monster...and I mean that in the best sense. For the uninitiated [[contains a nod to Mr. Gaye):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dns737iwyfY

mysterysinger
10-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Great thread. I have to vote for Shanice's "I Love Your Smile" and Lionel Richie "My Destiny". Two of the best Motown track ever imho.

144man
10-16-2015, 01:07 PM
I quite liked 98 Degrees' "Invisible Man".

marybrewster
10-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Great thread. I have to vote for Shanice's "I Love Your Smile" and Lionel Richie "My Destiny". Two of the best Motown track ever imho.

I wish Shanice would have stuck around Motown; compared to her successful "Inner Child", the follow up, "21 Ways to Grow", was pretty dismal. These two while she was still "young"; as she matured [[as exampled by her next release "Shanice") it would have been interesting to see what she could have pulled off for the label.

Interestingly, Shanice, while at Motown, worked with Narada, who also produced for Diana Ross later in the decade [["If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right", "I Will Survive").

Ngroove
10-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Johnny Gill: Since he's a guy who gotten to be done by Jimmy Jam - Terry Lewis AND Kenneth Babyface Edmonds on multiple albums, he has to be something. Clearly, whether be "Perfect Combination", "Where Do We Go From Here", and "Silent Prayer", could, for a male voice, has a range that could go circles around female vocal partners! And, when watched his "Unsung" episode: it's been told on the "Home Again" tour, he was the only single member who showed up to each and every one of the shows.

Definitely not exactly a "new" artist, but I fondly remember, one night 1999-ish, turned on to Soul Train, and "the Temptations" announced by Shemar Moore after one of their performances there. Even then, I knew them as "old" sixties "oldies" act, with "My Girl", "The Way You Do the Things You Do" and "Get Ready" in my consciousness. Before I would fully explore them proper further in listening, buying their back catalog, greatest hits, and eventually at one point, their "Emperors of Soul" boxed set, "Stay" and "This Is My Promise" was the fourth and fifth Tempts songs I knew, when they were still fresh on new airplay on contemporary R&B stations. Yes, it may take a rotating stable of newer, even younger voices, with Otis Williams the only [[and living left) original member, but was still neat, the "Temptations" name, just as sophisticated, great voices, and great "fresh" harmonious sounds, as any other "contemporary" male R&B group, 1998-2003.

soulster
10-16-2015, 06:47 PM
I totally agree. He should have been the new Teddy Pendergrass. He had the looks, voice and stage presence. His songs were not always top notch but he always got the best out of whichever songs he was given.

Bobby Brown got the deal best of them all: better label, better promotion, better producers, and, arguably better songs to propel him to the top.

Motown started to fall apart by 1986. Teena Marie had long left the label under royalty disputes, despite her releasing the best she had on the label.
Rick James, her sometimes partner in crime, had also become statistic of heavy drug addiction. His last great year at the label was 1985 as the writer and producer of The Mary Jane Girls' excellent "In My House", also on Gordy.

DeBarge also fell victim to drugs. El DeBarge had a big hit in '86, but soon also fell to the evil clutches of drugs.

Motown tried. They released product by Vanity, The Emotions, Sam Dees, and even Bruce Willis, with varying, but fleeting success. By 1989, Berry Gordy got out of the game and sold the label to MCA, installed Jheryl Busby as CEO, and and tried hard to sign new, hip talent, and it worked for a while. After hits by Joyce "Fenderella" Irving, The Boys, Johnny Gill, Boyz II Men, and a couple of others, the label disappeared into the corporate black hole, only to survive mainly as a reissue label. Meanwhile, their their once mighty brethren A&M Records, and Island Records, also gobbled up by Universal, got more attention as active labels for new music and artists in the 90s.

I'll say one thing: if it hadn't been for that 90s era when they became a major reissue label, we would not be able to enjoy all the riches of the Motown legacy today.

marv2
10-17-2015, 11:45 PM
You are right, Bobby Brown was the best to come out of New Edition. They all had bouts with drugs [[not just Debarge, El DeBarge etc.). Under Jheryl Busby, Motown did try hard to once again be a real player in mainstream music. I believe you meant Sam Harris and not Sam Dees. A friend of mind worked for Motown at that time and very optimistic about the label's future. She had a lot of praise for Mr. Busby. I think problem for Motown is that it's past greatness was just too great. Motown was about a sound, a movement and by the early 90s.....that was all gone.

Motown should have never left Detroit!

marv2
10-17-2015, 11:46 PM

How about Latifah's "U.N.I.T.Y."
I liked that one.

Ngroove
10-18-2015, 03:36 AM
You are right, Bobby Brown was the best to come out of New Edition. They all had bouts with drugs [[not just Debarge, El DeBarge etc.). Under Jheryl Busby, Motown did try hard to once again be a real player in mainstream music. I believe you meant Sam Harris and not Sam Dees. A friend of mind worked for Motown at that time and very optimistic about the label's future. She had a lot of praise for Mr. Busby. I think problem for Motown is that it's past greatness was just too great. Motown was about a sound, a movement and by the early 90s.....that was all gone.

Yes, gosh....not so long ago, bought a book found in a flea / antique market....called "The Motown Album", which surprisingly, chronicled a lot more than the expected Supremes / Miracles / Temptations / Stevie Wonder / Four Tops / Marvin Gaye / Martha Reeves & the Vandellas / Marvelettes / Junior Walker & the All-Stars / Gladys Knight & the Pips / Jackson Five.

Barrett Strong / Jimmy Ruffin / Tammi Terrell / Edwin Starr / Spinners / Commodores / Rare Earth / Rick James / Teena Marie / DeBarge too, then It actually surprisingly has picture and few sentences on Elgins / Monitors / Shorty Long / Syreeta Wright.....then *wait for it*.....Mary Jane Girls, Stacy Lattisaw, Johnny Gill, Gerald Alston, The Boys, Good Girls, to even Bruce Willis, Joyce Irby, and the Pointer Sisters. Most of the latter, later acts sure had about 2-3 albums each, but gosh, taking a look at the date, "1990"; no wonder. Still then too fresh, before for instance, the Pointers, ultimately tanked, tragically their one and only recording for the company.

marv2
10-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Yes, gosh....not so long ago, bought a book found in a flea / antique market....called "The Motown Album", which surprisingly, chronicled a lot more than the expected Supremes / Miracles / Temptations / Stevie Wonder / Four Tops / Marvin Gaye / Martha Reeves & the Vandellas / Marvelettes / Junior Walker & the All-Stars / Gladys Knight & the Pips / Jackson Five.

Barrett Strong / Jimmy Ruffin / Tammi Terrell / Edwin Starr / Spinners / Commodores / Rare Earth / Rick James / Teena Marie / DeBarge too, then It actually surprisingly has picture and few sentences on Elgins / Monitors / Shorty Long / Syreeta Wright.....then *wait for it*.....Mary Jane Girls, Stacy Lattisaw, Johnny Gill, Gerald Alston, The Boys, Good Girls, to even Bruce Willis, Joyce Irby, and the Pointer Sisters. Most of the latter, later acts sure had about 2-3 albums each, but gosh, taking a look at the date, "1990"; no wonder. Still then too fresh, before for instance, the Pointers, ultimately tanked, tragically their one and only recording for the company.

I have that book. Gold dust jacket right?

Ngroove
10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
I have that book. Gold dust jacket right?

Yep, sure is. Dealer said "ten dollars"; listed price read fifty; WOW! What a bargain!

soulster
10-19-2015, 08:46 PM

They pretty much had to. That's where the mecca of the record business was in the late 60s and 70s. Sure, a couple of major labels were in NYC, one in Chicago, and at least two in the south, but L.A. was the place to be. Detroit was slowly dying, and the company needed new blood. Some of you may disagree with that, but that's the way I see it. Maybe MCA didn't try hard enough in the late 80s. I don't know. But, the CD reissue market was HOT when MCA bought them, and that's the main road they took. I'm glad they did.