PDA

View Full Version : 1 Photo of KIM WESTON At The Roostertail - Her Beauty, Demeanor, Emotion All Captured

test

Methuselah2
10-13-2015, 08:02 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/f4/a9/a6f4a98d6c52aad1294288e965cf4763.jpg

westgrandboulevard
10-13-2015, 08:07 AM
It's a lovely photo.

I've never quite got it clear in my mind whether the fact that Kim was married to Mickey Stevenson worked in her favour, or worked against it.....

theboyfromxtown
10-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Lovely picture......even possible to view in China..the land of censorship

mysterysinger
10-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Looks more like the local working men's club. Nice pic of Kim.

marv2
10-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Oh that is a good one ,a rare one of Kim.

arr&bee
10-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Kim weston was fine.

marv2
10-14-2015, 01:22 AM
Kim weston was fine.

............and stacked! Whew! LOL!!!

REDHOT
10-14-2015, 02:28 AM
Kim Weston looks good,love her voice

BigAl
10-15-2015, 05:04 PM
I've never quite got it clear in my mind whether the fact that Kim was married to Mickey Stevenson worked in her favour, or worked against it.....
At Hitsville, being married to Mickey probably was very good for her career. When he decided to leave the company, however, she obviously felt she had to go with him and, sadly, that pretty much stalled her. She did some great stuff after leaving, though. "Nobody" was a fabulous song, and her version of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" was long considered definitive. She also did a nice album of duets with Johnny Nash, but none of these garnered much attention. On the whole, however, most of her post-Hitsville product on MGM, Stax and People just wasn't up to the level of what she had done while on the Gordy label.

marv2
10-15-2015, 06:44 PM
At Hitsville, being married to Mickey probably was very good for her career. When he decided to leave the company, however, she obviously felt she had to go with him and, sadly, that pretty much stalled her. She did some great stuff after leaving, though. "Nobody" was a fabulous song, and her version of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" was long considered definitive. She also did a nice album of duets with Johnny Nash, but none of these garnered much attention. On the whole, however, most of her post-Hitsville product on MGM, Stax and People just wasn't up to the level of what she had done while on the Gordy label.

It was good thing until it became noticeable that he was trying to push her, promote her. It was a bad thing when he gave "Dancing In the Streets" to Martha and the Vandellas.

BigAl
10-16-2015, 07:46 AM
It was good thing until it became noticeable that he was trying to push her, promote her. It was a bad thing when he gave "Dancing In the Streets" to Martha and the Vandellas.

It would have been illogical if Mickey had not promoted his own wife, and I don't recall hearing or reading that he was ever called on the carpet for doing so, but I wasn't there, either.

Much has been conjectured as to whether "Dancing" was written with Kim in mind. If it had been, my guess is that she would have recorded it, since Mickey was the A&R chief after all. In one interview I recall Kim's having said that she hadn't really expected it would be hers to record. My recollection is that she said something like, "Oh, Mickey might have have thought about it for maybe five minutes," or something to that effect. At the time, she and Martha possessed the strongest female voices at the company and either would have done justice to the song. [[To my own ears, Kim actually had the edge, vocally.) The fact remained, however, that Martha was riding two sizable hits while Kim's records had not done nearly so well [[and more's the pity), and it would be logical to give the song to an artist with greater name recognition to maximize sales potential. I doubt Mickey passed over Kim with the song for fear of being accused of nepotism.

luke
10-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Kind of weird as Berry favored Diana Ross...double standard.

marv2
10-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Kind of weird as Berry favored Diana Ross...double standard.

What is even weirder is that they used the fact that Kim had a lot curves, a very voluptuous body as a reason why she would have difficulty crossing over with white audiences! It's true, they said that [[I can't make this stuff up!).