PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wells - Bye, Bye Baby!

test

marv2
10-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Could you hear Tina Turner of the early sixties singing this and making work? Also does this song contradict what we've always heard to be Berry Gordy's intention to get away from gut bucket R&B in order to crossover?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3IbMBNPAY

heikki
10-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Hi!

Somehow "Shout" has always been the first thing to come to my mind.

Best regards
Heikki

midnightman
10-11-2015, 02:45 AM
I don't know, Marv. From what I gathered, Berry had to cater to R&B audiences FIRST before he was sure he could find something that everyone could relate to. And Mary was one of the first ones to find that crossover success via "The One Who Really Loves You" up until "My Guy" in a two-year period. Motown was JUST starting out at the time this song was released so it's hard to tell but I don't think it contradicts what he has always told the press about his intentions to make Motown what it was. And as far as I know, the original premise was to show he can make money on his own label as a message to Brunswick for not paying him for the Jackie Wilson sessions.

marv2
10-11-2015, 04:28 AM
Hi!

Somehow "Shout" has always been the first thing to come to my mind.

Best regards
Heikki

I can relate to that Heikki! It is in the same vein.

marv2
10-11-2015, 04:30 AM
I don't know, Marv. From what I gathered, Berry had to cater to R&B audiences FIRST before he was sure he could find something that everyone could relate to. And Mary was one of the first ones to find that crossover success via "The One Who Really Loves You" up until "My Guy" in a two-year period. Motown was JUST starting out at the time this song was released so it's hard to tell but I don't think it contradicts what he has always told the press about his intentions to make Motown what it was. And as far as I know, the original premise was to show he can make money on his own label as a message to Brunswick for not paying him for the Jackie Wilson sessions.

I understand that he needed to generate revenue for the label, it's just this particular recording sounded like it could have been done by Wilson Pickett [[or Tina Turner) for Stax or Atlantic.

splanky
10-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Motown didn't start out as supper club music, thankfully. Despite Berry's later directions
and aspirations the company did get in some more rawer material fro several acts. Even though
Mary didn't do much more like Bye Bye Baby, Jr Walker,Shorty Long and even Gladys Knight
did pass the fish and grits plates around a bit. Little Stevie Wonder too, slurring his harp
and talking about You Met Your Match. It really wasn't until Berry got stars in his eyes and
Copa obcessed that everybody was put on chill. And Marvin squashed that with Let's Get It On...

marv2
10-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Motown didn't start out as supper club music, thankfully. Despite Berry's later directions
and aspirations the company did get in some more rawer material fro several acts. Even though
Mary didn't do much more like Bye Bye Baby, Jr Walker,Shorty Long and even Gladys Knight
did pass the fish and grits plates around a bit. Little Stevie Wonder too, slurring his harp
and talking about You Met Your Match. It really wasn't until Berry got stars in his eyes and
Copa obcessed that everybody was put on chill. And Marvin squashed that with Let's Get It On...

Splanky, you are right. After all, didn't Berry himself write "Do You Love Me?" by the Contours?

midnightman
10-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Yes he did.

People forget early Motown was QUITE rowdy. Wasn't until the REALLY BIG crossover success that occurred in 1964 that everything for the label changed.

And yeah, MG squashed it [[or let's just say, he set the standard for Motown to go back to "gritty stuff") with Let's Get It On lol

midnightman
10-11-2015, 12:03 PM
I understand that he needed to generate revenue for the label, it's just this particular recording sounded like it could have been done by Wilson Pickett [[or Tina Turner) for Stax or Atlantic.

Oh no doubt. Considering both Bye Bye Baby and A Fool in Love was actually recorded around the same time in the summer of 1960, the similarities just pop out at you lol

But whereas Tina recorded AFIL in one take [[because it was supposed to be a demo) and Mary recorded hers in 23 [[!), makes you think sometimes. Lol :)

marv2
10-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Oh no doubt. Considering both Bye Bye Baby and A Fool in Love was actually recorded around the same time in the summer of 1960, the similarities just pop out at you lol

But whereas Tina recorded AFIL in one take [[because it was supposed to be a demo) and Mary recorded hers in 23 [[!), makes you think sometimes. Lol :)

Makes you think that they were desperate for hits! LOL!

midnightman
10-11-2015, 08:29 PM
^ Yeah lmao :)

But why 23 takes? BG was never satisfied anyway, was he?

arr&bee
10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Actually it would've been perfect for the marvettes[gladys on lead]but mary of course did an outstanding job.

marv2
10-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Actually it would've been perfect for the marvettes[gladys on lead]but mary of course did an outstanding job.

She did do a great. Mary Wells was my Aunt's favorite singer and whenever babysat, we'd hear Mary Wells records all day!

motony
10-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Everything was recorded at one time.The vocals, bg singers & muscians, if they changed a piano note ect they had to start over. 23 takes was not uncommon at that time.

marv2
10-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Everything was recorded at one time.The vocals, bg singers & muscians, if they changed a piano note ect they had to start over. 23 takes was not uncommon at that time.

Also they did not have the technology yet to punch ins with vocals. It was a lot of work back in the day and not nearly the amount of money these folks get today.

arr&bee
10-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Berry wanted that raw soulful sound from mary,and after[23]takes he got it.

motony
10-13-2015, 04:28 PM
That was the first 45 I ever bought. Heard it on Miami Pop Radio station WQAM.