PDA

View Full Version : Has Prince's agressive stand on copyright issues tainted your opinion of him?

test

jillfoster
10-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Soulster had posted a link in another thread about the lawsuit over a youtube video of a baby dancing to a 30 second clip of one of Prince's songs. Does this type of behavior by a songwriter and/or recording artist make you not want to buy their records? I'm one that DEPLORES hard ass, stingy people, so for me, it makes a difference. How about you? And don't limit this discussion to just Prince... any other person that does this, feel free to bring them up, too.

soulster
10-05-2015, 09:05 PM
No, it hasn't tainted my opinion of him, but the way he treats people, and his religion, sure has.

Jerry Oz
10-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Not at all. The only issues I have with music creators are with those who don't give fair credit to collaborators and contributors. But I'll be the first to admit that I listen to songs on YouTube all the time in full knowledge that the artists aren't compensated by songs posted there [[no, I'm not proud of that admission). But with that being said, I think artists owe it to themselves and their families to be paid when their songs are used for any commercial endeavor [[YouTube posters make money from their channels). I have much respect for him and I encourage him to pursue it as strongly as he can.

carlo
10-05-2015, 10:03 PM
According to this article, it appears the suit involved Universal Music and not Prince?

http://observer.com/2015/09/mom-wins-lawsuit-against-universal-over-toddlers-prince-video/

jillfoster
10-05-2015, 10:25 PM
I think it's a matter of picking your battles. Artists who go after fans who trade or collect bootlegs are also on my shit list. Nobody loses money on this stuff, the only thing a healthy bootleg market does is stoke the excitement for said artist amongst their fans. The type of person who would seek out a bootleg, is also the same person who will buy EVERY THING that artist puts out the day it is released, if you try to squelch their enthusiasm, then you only accomplish killing off your fanbase. With the advent of Youtube, the monetary aspect of the bootleg market is pretty much dead. youtube killed it. But you still see excitement when a rare clip surfaces, and it keeps people's name and image out there who may not have seen a hit in well over 30 years.

midnightman
10-05-2015, 11:15 PM
No, it hasn't tainted my opinion of him, but the way he treats people, and his religion, sure has.

This, times 100.

midnightman
10-05-2015, 11:16 PM
According to this article, it appears the suit involved Universal Music and not Prince?

http://observer.com/2015/09/mom-wins-lawsuit-against-universal-over-toddlers-prince-video/

Yeah Universal Music were the ones who sued that family for uploading that clip.

soulster
10-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah Universal Music were the ones who sued that family for uploading that clip.
And, one question that has been brought up elsewhere but not responded to: Prince is signed to Warner, but now owns his catalog, and Warner has distribution rights. "Let's Go Crazy" is controlled by Prince. Warner and Universal are two competing companies. So, how is Universal involved?

jillfoster
10-06-2015, 02:39 PM
In a related matter, I have been REALLY down on Garth Brooks for years, ever since he went on the tonight show and said he felt it should be illegal to sell Used CD's, because the sound of a used CD is no different than new. What a greedy ass! I never bought his records in the first place, but after hearing that, I think he's a total asshole.

milven
10-06-2015, 03:25 PM
In a related matter, I have been REALLY down on Garth Brooks for years, ever since he went on the tonight show and said he felt it should be illegal to sell Used CD's, because the sound of a used CD is no different than new. What a greedy ass! I never bought his records in the first place, but after hearing that, I think he's a total asshole.

He wants money if I buy his CD and then sell it after I use it? Wow ! I may be selling a car that I bought new from GM. Should I expect them to come after me for their cut of the sale of my used car?

marv2
10-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Most of that stuff with Prince is an act!I've met him a couple of times back in the day and he tries hard to keep up this public persona we all know. However, I do not like his hard line stance on his music being enjoyed on sites like Youtube.

antceleb12
10-06-2015, 05:07 PM
I think it's a matter of picking your battles. Artists who go after fans who trade or collect bootlegs are also on my shit list. Nobody loses money on this stuff, the only thing a healthy bootleg market does is stoke the excitement for said artist amongst their fans. The type of person who would seek out a bootleg, is also the same person who will buy EVERY THING that artist puts out the day it is released, if you try to squelch their enthusiasm, then you only accomplish killing off your fanbase. With the advent of Youtube, the monetary aspect of the bootleg market is pretty much dead. youtube killed it. But you still see excitement when a rare clip surfaces, and it keeps people's name and image out there who may not have seen a hit in well over 30 years.

^^ THIS.

To sue someone over a 30 second film clip of a baby dancing to one of his songs is beyond unnecessary and idiotic. Second, I thought it was legal to use 30 second or less of a particular song for personal use. Either way, laws be damned, its insane. Let's be honest. Whoever is doing the lawsuit isn't interested in the pursuit for moal integrity. It's all about money.

soulster
10-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Most of that stuff with Prince is an act!I've met him a couple of times back in the day and he tries hard to keep up this public persona we all know. However, I do not like his hard line stance on his music being enjoyed on sites like Youtube.
It turns out that all that sex stuff he did back in the day was all a put-on. Turns out that he was always religious or spiritual, and quite conservative. He wouldn't even eat dinner with his ex-fiance's house, one of the Melvoin sisters, because her lesbian sister was going to be there. She soon broke off the engagement. This is why he disbanded The Revolution and shelved the "Dream Factory" album that was slated after he did the "Parade" film. Wendy Melvoin was in that band.

marv2
10-06-2015, 06:57 PM
It turns out that all that sex stuff he did back in the day was all a put-on. Turns out that he was always religious or spiritual, and quite conservative. He wouldn't even eat dinner with his ex-fiance's house, one of the Melvoin sisters, because her lesbian sister was going to be there. She soon broke off the engagement. This is why he disbanded The Revolution and shelved the "Dream Factory" album that was slated after he did the "Parade" film. Wendy Melvoin was in that band.

I remember one night at a club called Rupert's in Minneapolis, back in the 80s I had to embarrass Prince into buying a round a drinks for me and my group. LOL! He's cool. He is a very normal guy that grew up in North Minneapolis, played basketball like the rest of us. His father and I worked for the same company at one time.

juicefree20
10-06-2015, 08:15 PM
I believe that he goes a little too far.

If someone's stealing or bootlegging his legitimate releases, cool, go after them. But this entire takedown of music that we've bought 1,000 times?

I don't understand that at all.

midnightman
10-07-2015, 04:27 AM
^ He's a control freak. He knows once he goes, people would put his music back on YouTube lol

I don't think anyone close to him would agree with his line of thinking. It's all a game, I think...

timmyfunk
10-16-2015, 03:36 PM
^ He's a control freak. He knows once he goes, people would put his music back on YouTube lol

I don't think anyone close to him would agree with his line of thinking. It's all a game, I think...

Well,, the control freak title is dead on. No doubt about that. I think that's part of the reason why his sales have slowed somewhat.

soulster
10-16-2015, 06:28 PM
To be fair, all Prince is saying is that if you want to hear his music, BUY it. If you want to see concert footage of him? It's his prerogative if he wants us to see it. Fact is, if it's his, he does have the right to decide if we should legally see it.

jillfoster
10-16-2015, 08:56 PM
To be fair, all Prince is saying is that if you want to hear his music, BUY it. If you want to see concert footage of him? It's his prerogative if he wants us to see it. Fact is, if it's his, he does have the right to decide if we should legally see it.

While I do realize that it is his LEGAL right to restrict these type of things, I also feel that to do so the way he does makes him an asshat. Music and performances are put out in a public arena, it's not the equivalent of someone stealing your car, it's not that cut and dry and tangible. So while he has the legal right, he also has to realize that he could very well be killing the golden goose by being Ebeneezer Scrooge here. When I went to see Charo 2 years ago, t the very beginning of the show, she goes... "I'm here for choo!! Choo can take pictures, video which your phone, any ting choo want!"

soulster
10-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Well, he was already an asshole.

daddyacey
10-24-2015, 11:35 PM
First ,I respect PRINCE as an artist and musician. I don't like all of his music ,but quite a lot of it. Other than that ,unless I met him in person and could see and interact with him ,I could care less about other personal gossip.
I feel he has the right to control his image, his music, etc. To control his exposure.

LEGAL--- - IMO has nothing to do with the dynamic that we all as humans learn at the age of say 1 to 2 years old. That dynamic that concept is one word. "MINE". That's "MINES." A dynamic so strong it creates a sensation in your mind and body when you address it. Say "that's MINE".
You feel that tingle? If not then let me use your money ,your car ,your house ,your clothes anything you've made ,created or hold dear to your heart. If you want access to something that's "MINE" then at least ask me for it ,and maybe we can work something out. At least ask permission in some form or another. In the case with PRINCE, he has a tremendous amount of material out that's limited sets ,in addition to his hits catalog and videos. The brother ain't stupid or stingy IMO ,In 1978 he was the "cutting edge" , now in 2015 he's PRINCE ,one of the founders of the sound that TODAY's music is based on.He ain't packing any arenas but his shows are sold out. He puts on a hell of a show. You either like his music or you don't. He has a unique following. There are a lot of artists like PRINCE who don't have any of the money they made in their prime.
True UNIVERSAL and WARNERS have interest and control over some PRINCE material , what is their percentage of royalties? They have to protect their investment. On the other hand he needs to make his money now cause this is not the music ,the market or media world of 1978. 2000 people at a concert and 1999 of them have a cell phone. Only thing missing with HD is the sound. Watch him put out a professional DVD of his concert.
I just think you can't blame him for not wanting to show up at 70 years old ,a has been and broke.

And what's his religion have to do with it?

soulster
10-25-2015, 09:35 AM
First ,I respect PRINCE as an artist and musician. I don't like all of his music ,but quite a lot of it. Other than that ,unless I met him in person and could see and interact with him ,I could care less about other personal gossip.
I feel he has the right to control his image, his music, etc. To control his exposure.

LEGAL--- - IMO has nothing to do with the dynamic that we all as humans learn at the age of say 1 to 2 years old. That dynamic that concept is one word. "MINE". That's "MINES." A dynamic so strong it creates a sensation in your mind and body when you address it. Say "that's MINE".
You feel that tingle? If not then let me use your money ,your car ,your house ,your clothes anything you've made ,created or hold dear to your heart. If you want access to something that's "MINE" then at least ask me for it ,and maybe we can work something out. At least ask permission in some form or another. In the case with PRINCE, he has a tremendous amount of material out that's limited sets ,in addition to his hits catalog and videos. The brother ain't stupid or stingy IMO ,In 1978 he was the "cutting edge" , now in 2015 he's PRINCE ,one of the founders of the sound that TODAY's music is based on.He ain't packing any arenas but his shows are sold out. He puts on a hell of a show. You either like his music or you don't. He has a unique following. There are a lot of artists like PRINCE who don't have any of the money they made in their prime.
True UNIVERSAL and WARNERS have interest and control over some PRINCE material , what is their percentage of royalties? They have to protect their investment. On the other hand he needs to make his money now cause this is not the music ,the market or media world of 1978. 2000 people at a concert and 1999 of them have a cell phone. Only thing missing with HD is the sound. Watch him put out a professional DVD of his concert.
I just think you can't blame him for not wanting to show up at 70 years old ,a has been and broke.

And what's his religion have to do with it?

His religion guides his every move today. he was actually going to censor his reissues, but thought better of it.